Suspended/Opt-out list 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
https://twitter.com/itsreneem_/status/1273615398961844224?s=21

Renee Montgomery is opting out to focus on social justice.

Made room for a Carter , Hayes & Williams line up .

I have to respect her level of commitment. On the basketball side of things, I wonder if Dream can waive her now. I believe this is her final contract year.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

I have to respect her level of commitment. On the basketball side of things, I wonder if Dream can waive her now. I believe this is her final contract year.

Yeah, it’s pretty clear Montgomery has been gearing up for life after basketball as a broadcaster/commentator.

Not only can she spend 24/7 on social media working on social justice (not sure why players couldn’t multitask), but she can save face by giving up her spot instead of having it taken away by Carter.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
On the basketball side of things, I wonder if Dream can waive her now. I believe this is her final contract year.

There's no real point. She gets the 2 of 12 payments she's already received and that's it, and the roster spot opens up anyway.

PostPosted: 06/18/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Yeah, it’s pretty clear Montgomery has been gearing up for life after basketball as a broadcaster/commentator.

Not only can she spend 24/7 on social media working on social justice (not sure why players couldn’t multitask), but she can save face by giving up her spot instead of having it taken away by Carter.

+1

PostPosted: 06/18/20 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooooo Montgomery is not alone is this opt out situation , I don't want to speculate or push a rumor until announced directly though.

PostPosted: 06/18/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Atlanta really miss Montgomery this season?

PostPosted: 06/18/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that we are all different and we have all have different priorities in life. But if I was able to work just a little over half the year and still get paid %100 of my salary? Wow! My wife would knock me out if I were to pass up a deal like that.

PostPosted: 06/18/20 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Sooooo Montgomery is not alone is this opt out situation , I don't want to speculate or push a rumor until announced directly though.

Clearly. I'm expecting up to 20 players opting out.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/18/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

As it refers to the whole league or specifically the Dream? Surprised

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 06/18/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee probably wants no parts of the Dream with Kelly Loeffler as the owner.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/20/20 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Some details on how they're handling all this:

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1273637579569737728?s=20
https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1273637580723060739?s=20

As before, it's pretty much as close to standard operating procedure as they can come under these circumstances.

So is it purely medical professionals from the outside that determine if a player is 'high-risk' and then the League has no choice but to allow them full salary should the player opt out? Or does the League itself then have to review & approve a player's 'high-risk' status with its own medical personnel once an outside professional does so?

And I wonder what the criteria for 'high-risk' is - is it a universal thing? If not, how does the League go about establishing this criteria? If a player can be 'high-risk' for something as common as asthma and a lot of players have it, that could spell a messy financial situation for some teams/the League if Hardship Exceptions had to be utilized left & right. Makes a tough situation due to this year's circumstances that much tougher.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/20 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using independent doctors to decide things is pretty common in sports leagues, including the WNBA (like when someone injured gets cut, and they have to judge how long the player gets paid for). Hopefully the criteria for 'high-risk' were at least vaguely discussed by the League and Players' Association before agreeing in principle to this plan. The vast majority of illnesses that would count will be known to the league already, because players would need clearance to take the medication necessary for them. So they'll know the potential liability of how many players could opt out while still claiming their salary. I doubt there are that many, personally.

I'd be more concerned about some of the coaches. People like Agler, Hughes, Stanley and Laimbeer are in their 60s, and some have had health issues already in the past. They obviously wouldn't have as much physical contact as the players, but they'd be in close proximity to everyone. I wouldn't blame them for handing off their duties to an assistant for the 2020 'season'.

PostPosted: 06/21/20 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Using independent doctors to decide things is pretty common in sports leagues, including the WNBA (like when someone injured gets cut, and they have to judge how long the player gets paid for). Hopefully the criteria for 'high-risk' were at least vaguely discussed by the League and Players' Association before agreeing in principle to this plan. The vast majority of illnesses that would count will be known to the league already, because players would need clearance to take the medication necessary for them. So they'll know the potential liability of how many players could opt out while still claiming their salary. I doubt there are that many, personally.

I'd be more concerned about some of the coaches. People like Agler, Hughes, Stanley and Laimbeer are in their 60s, and some have had health issues already in the past. They obviously wouldn't have as much physical contact as the players, but they'd be in close proximity to everyone. I wouldn't blame them for handing off their duties to an assistant for the 2020 'season'.

The coaching question is of particular interest to me, at 72 and a high school coach. So do I keep coaching? Do I hang it up until there's vaccine?

It's always hard to tease out your own motives, but as I look at the actual mechanics of coaching in high school, I don't think the risk is overly high. Of course there's more risk than staying at home, but if, as it seems, the most likely form of transmission is by close personal contact for 15 minutes or more (getting your hair cut, say, or your teeth cleaned), then coaching isn't that bad.

It is inside, which is a negative, but gyms are large. If there are 12 people on your team in a high school gym, there's plenty of distance available. Most of the time, coaching in practice is done at a distance, not close up, and even when it is, it's brief. During games, social distancing will be mandated, and not that difficult with no crowds (players and coaches will be spread out).

Is it risky? Yes. But as we've all heard many times, life is inherently risky, and you can't cocoon yourself completely. I sort of view risk like a currency -- I only have so much to spend, and if I save up in one part of my life (zero risk), I can spend it an another.

Which is a long way of saying that I think older coaches can justify returning to their jobs, and will do so. (And realistically, the chances of dying are not that great, especially if you factor in that 25% of the overall deaths are from nursing homes and similar facilities.) I think, though, all coaches will want plastic face shields rather than masks ...

PostPosted: 06/21/20 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some Mystics players should definitely opt out this year and next year. These players have been dealing with their personal illness for years now. They should stay home and protect themselves.

PostPosted: 06/21/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Some Mystics players should definitely opt out this year and next year. These players have been dealing with their personal illness for years now. They should stay home and protect themselves.

I don't believe that people on a message board--whether using real names or not--should be declaring what professional athletes, coaches, or anyone else SHOULD be doing regarding risks in their lives. Should players or coaches from my team (the Liberty) head to Florida for the planned 2020 WNBA season? Should Clay coach his high school basketball team? I say it's for them to decide and for us to respect their decisions.

PostPosted: 06/21/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I don't believe that people on a message board--whether using real names or not--should be declaring what professional athletes, coaches, or anyone else SHOULD be doing regarding risks in their lives. Should players or coaches from my team (the Liberty) head to Florida for the planned 2020 WNBA season? Should Clay coach his high school basketball team? I say it's for them to decide and for us to respect their decisions.

Rock's agenda is he wants the top players on every team except Chicago to sit out in order to hopefully guarantee the Sky winning the WNBA title.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/21/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I respectfully suggest they should stay at home. If anyone has a compromised immune system they should stay at home. Humans have free will and can do whatever they want to do. I hope that everyone will make a decision to prolong their lives rather than shorten it.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 06/21/20 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/21/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I respectfully suggest they should stay at home.

Hey Rock, no suggestions here. They aren’t welcome. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/21/20 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Especially after just posting this (comically tone-deaf) criticism of players choosing to opt out:

Rock Hard wrote:
I know that we are all different and we have all have different priorities in life. But if I was able to work just a little over half the year and still get paid %100 of my salary? Wow! My wife would knock me out if I were to pass up a deal like that.

It sure seems like you’re hoping people opt out.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/21/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Especially after just posting this (comically tone-deaf) criticism of players choosing to opt out:

Rock Hard wrote:

It sure seems like you’re hoping people opt out.

It's called free will. Let the chips fall where they may.

PostPosted: 06/21/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Thank you, mavcarter. Looking at Rock Hard's posts on this page, I don't view them as respectful. That Rock uses the word "respectfully" doesn't mean that Rock is being genuinely respectful of other people's decisions about their lives. Not even close.

PostPosted: 06/21/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Thank you, mavcarter. Looking at Rock Hard's posts on this page, I don't view them as respectful. That Rock uses the word "respectfully" doesn't mean that Rock is being genuinely respectful of other people's decisions about their lives. Not even close.

hmm. Rock's posts in general show a certain (quirky) sense of humor, but in general I would say he's pretty respectful. No reason to call him out on such a thing. IMO of course.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/22/20 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much mass confusion & hysteria these days as it relates to:
    |this page of this thread
    |the actual topic of this thread - how many players/coaches? opt out? And where will the replacements come from? (I'm very interested to see how that plays out)
    |if the worst-case scenario happens: an in-league outbreak that completely derails the season
    |the Virus, but that's not new
    |Trump stuff - also not new but it seems like it's somehow gotten even messier & weirder??
    |young people! They've been very involved as of late...
    |who are the racists? Better yet, who's stopping the racists and who isn't?
    |the actual best, most realistic way to give the police system a 'makeover' of sorts
    |which statues should go & which should stay - if any!
    |there miiiiight be another serial killer here in the Seattle area
    |oh, yeah, I guess the Seattle area itself cuz of ~*}Chop{*~
    |when will I get my stimulus check? I'm still waiting?
    |just what the f*** is going on in that sticky'd thread in the Area 51 forum?!

Anyways, back to the main topic: in the wise words of Sue Bird (who else?), there's no wrong answer to choosing whether to participate in this season or not. I also don't think it's wrong or malicious to speculate or wish that certain people stay home. Everyone's in the same boat as to how any of this will actually shake out. This is just the reality of 2020, so we all soldier on in the ways that we have to.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/22/20 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
hmm. Rock's posts in general show a certain (quirky) sense of humor, but in general I would say he's pretty respectful. No reason to call him out on such a thing. IMO of course.

Idea

PostPosted: 06/22/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonquel Jones is opting out and will not play this season.

https://twitter.com/Winsidr/status/1275096902627885057

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: