RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minneapolis Burning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/10/20 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe there will be some defunding of the police

but that is because of the huge economic down turn because of the corona virus.

I believe that some politicians will try and score political points by saying they are defunding the police to reallocate funds to helpful social programs and not because everyone is going to be making austere budget cuts because of the recession or depression we are in.

but do I believe that the same amount of money (or any) that they save by cutting the police budget will actually end up creating useful social programs that will have a positive impact and create social change? I hope so, but I do not have a lot of faith in most politicians good intentions or competency, so I hope they prove me wrong. (Please forgive my cynicism).

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/10/20 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/10/20 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Agreeing to disagree" is kind of trite but decent people on either side can disagree about many of the complex issues feeding into fraught problems like societal racism and what to think and do about it. Same with sexism, homophobia, crime, police brutality, Donald Trump, human rights and even what it means in this era to be a decent human being.

And people on Rebkell's are INVITED to discuss these issues HERE, in all their complexity, picking apart what THEY think are the weaknesses and strengths of the arguments that are being made currently and what THEY think about those making those arguments, on any side, or whatever else someone here might find to be an interesting element of any issue to write a comment on.

And MY PROMISE to anyone reading this is that they will be able to do that without facing on THIS message board any sort of moral browbeating that seeks to constrain or limit those discussions to what one political side might view as reprehensible and deserving of being 'unfriended.' Something that isn't even possible here on this message board.

We're probably down to a dozen active posters here on AREA 51 now and we're stuck with each other. So either open your minds or close your eyes.

Most of us participate on Rebkell's by speaking for ourselves. Not by holding up endless streams of memes or tweets with what celebrities are thinking. This is Rebkell's. We need to hear what YOU think not what someone said on Twitter. If you want to fight the war on Twitter go do it on that platform. This is a place for you to compose YOUR thoughts and opinions and share them here. Not for showing us what someone we don't know or care about thinks.

Some of it is fine and adds to the topical relevance of the discussions. But when it starts to be LITERALLY about LIMITING discussion with someone's moral condemnation then that's not welcome here. It wouldn't be welcome from an actual member of the Rebkell group but seeing an outside someone given a voice in our group personally cancelling someone who disagreed with her about God knows what isn't something that belongs here.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is not about abolishing police departments. It is a movement to redirect funding to address other areas of need. If you take a granular look, you can see how inadequate mental health resources, inadequate funding for housing and caring for the homeless, and a disconnected economy that offers an availability of jobs that do not pay a living wage are feeders into the over-policing and police brutality/extermination problems. Defunding police departments should really be called alternative resource allocation, if you are looking for a more sanitized phrase. Because police unions and leadership have refused efforts to address these police misconduct efforts from within, alternative resource allocation plans will address these issues from the outside. In my opinion, this movement will force police unions and departments to address these issues directly so they can avoid decreases in available funding. Also, the defund movement, removes funding for militarized weapons and vehicles. It also means that public funding can be offered contingent upon certain community created benchmarks.

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/11/20 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/11/20 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I’ll never forget. You saw the scene on that road … they were lined up. Man, they just walked straight. And yes, there was some tear gas and probably some other things,” Trump said in opening remarks at a roundtable on policing and race. “And the crowd dispersed and they went through. By the end of that evening, and it was a short evening, everything was fine.”

Quote:
“But we’ll make no progress and heal no wounds by falsely labeling tens of millions of decent Americans as racist or bigots,” the president said.

Quote:
“We have to respect our police. We have to take care of our police. They’re protecting us. And if they’re allowed to do their job, they’ll do a great job,” Trump said. “And you always have a bad apple. No matter where you go, you have bad apples and there not too many of them.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-praises-law-enforcement-response-in-minneapolis-says-confronting-bigotry-will-go-very-easily-at-event-in-dallas/ar-BB15lOk3?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 06/12/20 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago cops caught on tape lounging in looted office of congressman during rioting/looting. Let's hope cops never learn that there are cameras everywhere. If they won't hold themselves accountable, maybe cameras will.

Quote:
Late one night two weeks ago, a group of Chicago police officers put up their feet and lounged in the burglarized office of a U.S. congressman, preparing popcorn and coffee for themselves and napping on the couch.

Quote:
"They even had the unmitigated gall to go and make coffee for themselves and pop popcorn, my popcorn, in my microwave, while looters were tearing apart businesses within their sight, within their reach," Rush said. "They did not care about what was happening to business people, to this city. They didn’t care. They absolutely didn’t care."

Quote:
[Mayor Lori] Lightfoot said the officers were "having a little hangout for themselves while small businesses on the South Side were looted and burned, while their colleagues were getting bottles thrown at their heads."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/11/chicago-police-lounged-bobby-rushs-burglarized-office-amid-looting/5343896002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/12/20 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indy Metro Police caught on camera hitting woman in legs with batons and shooting her, from what I would call close range, with rubber bullets. (I'm thinking that woman has an incredible tolerance to pain.)

Another woman in the video was pushed backwards and fell to the ground.
Quote:
In the video, police order everyone to stop and get on the ground, and a few did while others ran. One 21-year-old who lives in Indianapolis had her hands behind her back, her face covered and stood still for a few seconds. Then, she appears to resist the officers’ commands.

Quote:
IMPD Chief Randal Taylor told the City County Council Public Safety Committee on Wednesday night he has seen enough.

“Let me go to the video that everyone seems to be talking about with the ERG group and the baton strike. If you saw that video or hear my comments, you would know that the first words out of my mouth were ‘I didn’t like what I saw.'”

Quote:
The police chief said, “There were certain things that happened I didn’t like the way it looked, but that doesn’t necessarily make it illegal.”

https://www.wishtv.com/news/i-team-8/wish-tv-reporters-viral-video-of-protesters-arrest-leads-to-criminal-investigation/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/12/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/12/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/13/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/13/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/14/20 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fox News Removes a Digitally Altered Image of Seattle Protests

Quote:
On Friday, Fox posted on its site a photo of a man armed with a rifle standing in front of the shattered glass of a storefront. The Seattle Times noted that it was a combination of several different photos from Getty Images taken over nearly two weeks.

Also on the website, Fox also posted a nighttime photo of a burning storefront and car, accompanied by the headline “Crazy Town” and a list of articles on the unrest in Seattle. But that image was taken in St. Paul, Minn.

Fox removed both images after inquiries from The Seattle Times.

PostPosted: 06/17/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Snapchat videos lead investigators to man accused of setting fire to Minnesota police station
https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/crime/minnesota-police-station-fire-suspect-arrested-in-colorado/73-6b1b969f-56a9-4b44-a2ac-e3e0ac1fcce4

Quote:
Videos posted on Snapchat by the suspect of himself setting fire to a police station in Minneapolis Minnesota are ultimately what helped investigators track him down and arrest him in Colorado over the weekend, according to a criminal complaint released Tuesday afternoon.
Dylan Robinson, 22, is accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail into the third precinct police station and setting a fire near a stairwell in Minneapolis during violent riots on the evening of May 28 that erupted after the death of George Floyd.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/17/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/18/20 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=29326436&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29326436

PostPosted: 06/18/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nooses in trees at Oakland’s Lake Merritt spark hate-crime investigation, mayor says

reminder: lake merritt is where the original "becky" called police over people having a barbecue.

Quote:
Authorities in Oakland have launched a hate-crime investigation after several nooses were found hanging on trees around Lake Merritt, Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wednesday.

Oakland police located five ropes attached to trees around Lake Merritt on Tuesday after a social media post identified one rope as a noose, according to a police statement.

PostPosted: 06/18/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Nooses in trees at Oakland’s Lake Merritt spark hate-crime investigation, mayor says

reminder: lake merritt is where the original "becky" called police over people having a barbecue.

She called police over black people using a charcoal grill in the park, which she said was illegal (don't know if that is the case). But not sure we know it was because they were black if we don't have an example of how she reacted when white people were doing the same thing. There was a woman, I think in that area, who called the police over a black girl selling bottles of water in the park. It went viral and everyone assumed it was because the girl was black that she did it. But I have seen white kids over the decades make the newspaper or news because someone called the city to complain about them selling lemonade or cookies without a permit. And it normally goes that the city shuts them down, the parents complain to the news who reports it along with a picture or interview of the sweet and innocent kid, and the mayor ultimately makes an exception.

Quote:
Authorities in Oakland have launched a hate-crime investigation after several nooses were found hanging on trees around Lake Merritt, Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wednesday.

Oakland police located five ropes attached to trees around Lake Merritt on Tuesday after a social media post identified one rope as a noose, according to a police statement.

'Nooses' in Oakland park were exercise aids, man says

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland’s mayor said five ropes found hanging from trees in a city park are nooses and racially-charged symbols of terror but a resident said they are merely exercise equipment that he put up there months ago.

Victor Sengbe, who is black, told KGO-TV that the ropes were part of a rigging that he and his friends used as part of a larger swing system. He also shared video of the swing in use.

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/18/20 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/11/20 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://m.startribune.com/feds-deny-walz-s-request-for-aid-to-rebuild-after-riots/571715162/

Quote:
The federal government has denied Gov. Tim Walz’s request for aid to help rebuild and repair Twin Cities structures that were damaged in the unrest following George Floyd’s death.

Walz asked President Donald Trump to declare a “major disaster” for the state of Minnesota in his request to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on July 2. More than 1,500 buildings were damaged by fires, looting and vandalism in the days of unrest that followed Floyd’s May 25 death in Minneapolis police custody, racking up more than $500 million in damages, according to Walz.

The governor’s spokesman, Teddy Tschann, confirmed late Friday that the request for federal aid was denied.

“The Governor is disappointed that the federal government declined his request for financial support,” Tschann said in a statement. “As we navigate one of the most difficult periods in our state’s history, we look for support from our federal government to help us through.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/26/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How a Pledge to Dismantle the Minneapolis Police Collapsed

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/us/politics/minneapolis-defund-police.html

Quote:
Within days, President Trump and Republicans had found a new favorite talking point to try to win over suburban voters: Democrats wanted to abolish the police. Never mind that prominent party figures like Mr. Biden had joined the mayor in rejecting such proposals, making clear that the actions of the councilors had no purchase in the Democratic establishment.

In reality, their actions barely had support within their own civic body.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: