No
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 31

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/11/20 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
What I've heard is that in a good year, a WNBA team can make $50,000 or so. (But pick a number that makes sense to you, though I would think anything over $100,000 in actual profit would be an exceptional year.)

So let's say this season is a $2 million loss -- that would require a $200,000 profit for 10 years to make up for.

On the other hand, if an owner was looking at losing $1 million, and will only lose $500,000 with the shortened season, well, it's a positive.

To repeat, the biggest weakness, and biggest difference, for the WNBA is that the franchises have no value. The day a WNBA team sells for actual cash is the day the league can really start to grow.

We don't know enough about the financial realities of the teams/league to have any real answers for this stuff. So most/many teams lose money in a normal season - how many of the things that typically lose money are removed if they just don't play at all? Have independent teams already paid non-refundable money to rent arenas for their 18 home dates, or is that cost now zero? If that cost is now zero, are they actually making money compared to a standard year through not having to host games? Do some teams need the ESPN money that would presumably drop to zero if they don't play in order to stay alive? How much sponsorship cash, both league-wide and team-specific, disappears without games? We keep being told that the NBA technically owns half the league - how much of all this are they covering?

There's just too much stuff we have no idea on.

First, of course the owners do everything they can to fudge the numbers in their direction.

Second, Richyyy is a lot more in touch with the detailed realities of WNBA finances, and his questions are important and unanswered. Still, I think the fact even the New York Liberty, which had as good attendance as any team in the league, could not be sold for dollar one, is telling about the profitability of WNBA franchises.

Another indicator is that the league would like nothing better than to expand, but there were no prospective owners -- which leads me to believe the numbers that suggest an annual loss of about $1 million in normal years are correct, as are the numbers that suggest the profit in a good year is not close to that amount.

But let's say I'm wrong by a significant amount in the $1 million in losses. If I am, why are teams worth zero? And why hasn't there been expansion?

These two facts make the WNBA a completely different operation than the NBA or MLS or even minor league baseball -- and so any comparisons in how players are treated or paid must first acknowledge that the WNBA is fundamentally different than most other pro sports because of franchise value.

PostPosted: 06/11/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just read some tweets on NBA negotiations, and a solution to a player getting injured or sick is that they leave the bubble and are finished for the season. The NBA can do that more easily with the G League rosters and all, but it left me wondering what the W would do with the inevitable injuries and if anyone gets sick. Do you just ring up Karlie Samuelson to replace Karima Christmas-Kelly when she has her annual injury? Is it first come first serve with all the unsigned players?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/11/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I just read some tweets on NBA negotiations, and a solution to a player getting injured or sick is that they leave the bubble and are finished for the season. The NBA can do that more easily with the G League rosters and all, but it left me wondering what the W would do with the inevitable injuries and if anyone gets sick. Do you just ring up Karlie Samuelson to replace Karima Christmas-Kelly when she has her annual injury? Is it first come first serve with all the unsigned players?

And, how do you do that if they haven't been in the bubble?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/11/20 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
miller40 wrote:

And, how do you do that if they haven't been in the bubble?

Likely the same way you're introducing people into the bubble in the first place. They'd have to be quarantined for a specified amount of time, and return a couple of negative tests before joining the group.

But yeah, it's going to be much more difficult than usual to just replace someone on the end of your roster or sign a hardship exception player if you get a rash of injuries.

PostPosted: 06/11/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's rumored to be several NBA players likely to sit out the remainder of the season. Adam Silver has said teams will be allowed replacement players. I do wonder if there will be any WNBA players opting not to play and if the league will also allow replacement players.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/11/20 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Finally, it is a bit frustrating that they really don't seem to have gotten very far in the past 3 months since they are just now coming up with a proposal to the players.

I don't see that there was another option. It was less than three months ago that the NBA shutdown. Just over 2 months ago (April 3) the WNBA delayed their season. On April 17 the league was exploring playing doubleheaders with the NBA. Parts of the country started reopening on May 1, but most cities where the WNBA is played were still shut down. By the middle of May the concept of a single site was pretty much chosen and then there were negotiations on sites. On May 27 Cathy Englebert told the Washington Post that the details of the season were finally starting to become clear. On June 4 the owners came out with a tentative plan which was aspirational (and had not been shared with all teams at the time), but represented (in my mind) a good faith effort to salvage a season.

The issues for the NHL and NBA were comparatively simple. They were just finishing a season where the TV revenue for playoffs are greatest, MLB appears to be in even more danger of losing the season right now, in part because back in March the owners agreed to paying a full prorated salary based on games when they believed there would be fans in the stands. I have not always believed that WNBA owners and the League itself have made the best decisions, but I think they have done a good job in trying to play a season despite Covid-19.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: