RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 06/10/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking the other day that Fauci didn’t provide any real value in controlling this virus. State and local restrictions seemed to take place ahead of any federal guidance. And we never shut down interstate travel and were very late on international restrictions and did not quarantine travelers (although epidemiologists in general appear to downplay travel restrictions). And it seems he should get negative points for this “second wave” talk which implies a “first wave” has been handled while we have not come close to ending a first wave. We have always averaged over 20,000 new cases a day since April, even though the average has come down from a late April peak.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/10/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Almost 600 US Healthcare Workers Have Died From COVID-19

Quote:
About 600 frontline healthcare workers in the United States have died from the coronavirus, according to a tally by Kaiser Health News and The Guardian.

The number includes doctors, nurses, paramedics, and healthcare staff such as hospital janitors, hospital administrators, and nursing home workers. Most of these workers identified as African American or Asian/Pacific Islander.

The CDC had recorded more than 71,000 cases and 375 deaths among healthcare professionals as of Tuesday morning, though it says the number is an undercount.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/932028?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2414551&faf=1
https://khn.org/news/exclusive-investigation-nearly-600-and-counting-us-health-workers-have-died-of-covid-19/

USA's total of 115k deaths is obviously a horrible number, but 600+ health care workers is equally horrible IMO. They're the people who should have been the best-protected of all.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I was thinking the other day that Fauci didn’t provide any real value in controlling this virus.

What authority did he have to control the virus?

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:
I was thinking the other day that Fauci didn’t provide any real value in controlling this virus.

What authority did he have to control the virus?

He didn’t have executive authority but he had a well respected voice that has been on TV for past virus outbreaks like swine flu. And even if he bowed to pressure from Trump, Mnuchin, Kudlow and company, there was no need for him to do so. He is a 79 year old who has had great paying government jobs for 52 years. Even if he blew 100% of his income over the years, his government pension will be stellar. That is, he doesn’t need to work, so no need to pull any punches in a pandemic so as to not get fired. If he was fired for speaking out, or retired because of censorship, he still would be able to do print and TV interviews. But he appears to have either badly misread the virus or promoted misinformation. From his Wiki page:

Quote:
However, political talk show host Bill Maher, on his May 31, 2020, program, cautioned against lionizing Fauci, playing clips in which, in late January, 2020, Fauci described the coronavirus as "very low risk", and in March, that "there is no reason to be walking around in a mask" and that only those with underlying conditions have reason not to go on a cruise.

Although the mask comment was made at a time when the medical community appeared concerned that the general public would get ahold of N95 masks and deprive medical professionals. They were simultaneously saying that masks didn’t work and we needed to save them for medical professionals.

On February 29th he was asked by an NBC Today Show host if people needed to be concerned about going out to places like movies and malls. He responded that there was no need to change any habits at that time because the risk is still low, but he did leave open changes in the future. That is the way of thinking of all the politicians in the country: stay the course until we get a significant spread and then we will take action. Politicians are concerned about being labeled “alarmist” by people, but Fauci would seem to be a person that is paid to sound the alarm.

Last edited by tfan on 06/10/20 11:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I was thinking the other day that Fauci didn’t provide any real value in controlling this virus. State and local restrictions seemed to take place ahead of any federal guidance. And we never shut down interstate travel and were very late on international restrictions and did not quarantine travelers (although epidemiologists in general appear to downplay travel restrictions). And it seems he should get negative points for this “second wave” talk which implies a “first wave” has been handled while we have not come close to ending a first wave. We have always averaged over 20,000 new cases a day since April, even though the average has come down from a late April peak.

lol omg wut

Howee

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None of the foibles of this crisis' handling ultimately fall on the doctors--the non-political scientists who simply call 'em like they see 'em.

Novel Coronavirus tells us its "new"....not seen before in this form. Prolly GOD didn't even know what to expect, so how should Fauci or Birx have all the definitive insights? They couldn't. But because they've spent careers working in epidemiology, their perspectives were the most authentic.

FAR more realistic than, say -- a reality show tv personality with no scientific background who decides to tout disinfectant as a possible cure. Fauci and Birx weren't playing on their Ouija boards to divine insights. THEY HAD EXPERIENCE IN THIS MILIEU. And, like the finest scientists anywhere, they will be the FIRST to tell you if their calculations were off, cuz of ____ or ____, but yeah, we'll get it right yet! I'd say their long range calculations were pretty damned close to reality.

Technically, NOBODY'S 'at fault' for this pandemic. There ARE folks that did not react in timely ways, ignored warnings, and tried to bullshit their way around a global health crisis. These are the ones that obstructed medical facts, in the interest of avoiding panic, and jobs shutting down, and (the worst part) hurt the economy. None of THOSE folks were named Fauci or Birx. But the GUILTY parties -- the Obstructors, Delay-minded Politicians -- are delighted if you point your fingers at Fauci. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fauci was aware that China locked down a city larger than New York and then the province it was in. He was aware that the virus had escaped China and the USA was one of the areas it had hit. He would be very happy to know that you give him a pass for thinking the USA would somehow be able to avoid what happened in China without taking quick drastic actions, and instead were blaming politicians for handling what you call a “novel” virus, for which Fauci can’t be held accountable. Trump ridiculously said “we have 15 cases and pretty soon it will be close to zero”. And yet Fauci didn’t correct him on that and appeared to have had similar hopes that the virus just wouldn’t be bad. He didn’t claim a transmission rate below 1 and yet was not calling for action until the virus was spread throughout the country. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by tfan on 06/10/20 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Fauci was aware that China locked down a city larger than New York and then the province it was in. He was aware that the virus had escaped China and the USA was one of the areas it had hit. He would be very happy to know that you give him a pass for thinking the USA would somehow be able to avoid what happened in China without taking quick drastic actions, and instead were blaming Trump for handling what you call a “novel” virus. Rolling Eyes

Ya. Okay. Fauci really is totally responsible--probably should be tried for crimes against humanity . Trump handled it all so very well, and probably saved 49,000,000 lives with his brilliant wisdom.

I think I'm beginning to see the alternate universe you dwell in, my dear. Frightening. Shocked

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
Fauci was aware that China locked down a city larger than New York and then the province it was in. He was aware that the virus had escaped China and the USA was one of the areas it had hit. He would be very happy to know that you give him a pass for thinking the USA would somehow be able to avoid what happened in China without taking quick drastic actions, and instead were blaming Trump for handling what you call a “novel” virus. Rolling Eyes

Ya. Okay. Fauci really is totally responsible--probably should be tried for crimes against humanity . Trump handled it all so very well, and probably saved 49,000,000 lives with his brilliant wisdom.

I think I'm beginning to see the alternate universe you dwell in, my dear. Frightening. Shocked

I didn’t say Fauci was totally responsible and I didn’t say Trump handled it all very well. I think I am beginning to see that you will create any straw man in order to try and be right. Astonishing. Shocked

Howee

PostPosted: 06/11/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I didn’t say Fauci was totally responsible and I didn’t say Trump handled it all very well.

Of course you didn't. MY response was a hyperbolic reaction to the implications you put out there:
Quote:
Fauci was aware that China locked down a city larger than New York and then the province it was in. He was aware that the virus had escaped China and the USA was one of the areas it had hit.

....or....
Quote:
Politicians are concerned about being labeled “alarmist” by people, but Fauci would seem to be a person that is paid to sound the alarm.

NOBODY knew how this was going to play out, and the people with the best hope for insights like Fauci and Birx might be forgiven for not being alarmist prematurely.

To me, that pales in comparison to Trump's culpability; with his bloated ego, he blatantly usurped most of their time on media messaging, and turned it into his own clown and pony circus. Public opinion matters in crises like this one -- just on things like compliance with the shutdown orders, for example -- and imo, he's far more to blame than anyone else, given his position.

Last edited by Howee on 06/11/20 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/11/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/11/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/13/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/opinion/sunday/women-leaders-coronavirus.html?smid=tw-share

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 06/17/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In this video someone knowledgable on the subject:

- feels that COVID-19 herd immunity won't be achieved, although I can't quite get the reason.

- shoots down the "second wave" talk by noting that you can't be at or above 20,000 new cases a day for 2.5 months and say you are coming out of a wave. He says the first wave is a tsunami and will continue for some time.

- feels that a vaccine is only a 50% chance and will potentially be released before safe and/or will not be 100% effective.

- feels that drugs that treat COVID-19 are a 90% chance and should come before any vaccine

- feel that we are going to be going back in time. Living life knowing that we could catch something and die, but carrying on anyway. As people did before vaccines and antibiotics.

- regarding air travel he says that it should be done in the future with an N95 mask and goggles (probably should be standard attire for doctor/dentist/hair dresser as well).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CrS8dqkiFpU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 06/17/20 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8LKm76D-Rf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36

PostPosted: 06/18/20 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="660" height="371" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4wG1MHblbfw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/4wG1MHblbfw

PostPosted: 06/18/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
I didn’t say Fauci was totally responsible and I didn’t say Trump handled it all very well.

Of course you didn't. MY response was a hyperbolic reaction to the implications you put out there:
Quote:
Fauci was aware that China locked down a city larger than New York and then the province it was in. He was aware that the virus had escaped China and the USA was one of the areas it had hit.

....or....
Quote:
Politicians are concerned about being labeled “alarmist” by people, but Fauci would seem to be a person that is paid to sound the alarm.

NOBODY knew how this was going to play out, and the people with the best hope for insights like Fauci and Birx might be forgiven for not being alarmist prematurely.

Politicians and dictators the world over have demonstrated that they are not only willing to "not be alarmist prematurely", but that they will even cover up information about the virus. So if grandpa Fauci was trying to "err on the other side of caution", then we don't need him. The world has that well covered.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/18/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poll: Americans not buying White House spin on coronavirus

Quote:
The Gallup and West Health survey out Thursday found that 57% of U.S. adults rated the national response to COVID-19 as fair or poor, particularly in light of the fact that America has the world’s most expensive health care system.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/21/20 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US halts hydroxychloroquine clinical trial after finding no additional benefit for Covid-19 patients
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/20/politics/hydroxychloroquine-clinical-trial-halted-covid-19/index.html

Quote:
The US Food and Drug Administration on Monday revoked its Emergency Use Authorization for hydroxychloroquine to treat hospitalized patients with coronavirus, saying it was unlikely to provide any benefit based on the latest scientific research.

Starting in mid-March, Trump became a frequent cheerleader for hydroxychloroquine. He promoted the drug repeatedly, despite pleas from scientists to let studies decide if the treatment was safe and effective.

"HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine," Trump tweeted on March 21.

Fox News frequently echoed Trump, but both the network and the President quieted down about the drugs once studies started showing they didn't work and possibly could hurt.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/22/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3P3e6-pwNac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 06/24/20 5:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U7krg09Ag2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/24/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad flu season - illustrated with bar charts

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2634167/

PostPosted: 06/24/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is very loosely coronavirus related and not really worth its own topic.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2nZnxBP7Z1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/24/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good coronavirus news indeed. Finally a bunch of people will have a reason to wear face masks that Joe Rogan won't think they're bitches for.

PostPosted: 06/28/20 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_PCVK9t0OgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Shades on 06/29/20 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 77 of 100

Jump to: