RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/30/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And just when you think you've heard it all...

Monkeys Steal Coronavirus Blood Samples in India

Quote:
LUCKNOW, India — A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official and snatched away blood samples of patients who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, authorities said on Friday.

The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460 km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

"Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment .

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/29/world/asia/29reuters-health-coronavirus-india-monkey.html

sambista

PostPosted: 05/30/20 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Quote:
LUCKNOW, India — A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official and snatched away blood samples of patients who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, authorities said on Friday.

The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460 km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

"Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment .

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/29/world/asia/29reuters-health-coronavirus-india-monkey.html

i can think of no better time to push away from the computer than now.

PostPosted: 05/30/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: 05/30/20 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Quote:

PostPosted: 05/30/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Quote:

Pretty sure this is the opening scene from 28 Days Later

PostPosted: 05/30/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
sambista wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Quote:

good one, genero.

i did push away. when i came back, i was faced with this headline:

Trump Threatens White House Protesters
With 'Vicious Dogs' and 'Ominous
Weapons'

The president also said that his base "love the black people"
before traveling to Florida to watch a rocket launch.

i know, i know. wrong thread, wrong tragedy.

PostPosted: 06/01/20 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fL5JaGUYVQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/01/20 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is a second wave even possible while the first wave is still going this strong?

PostPosted: 06/01/20 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

i read somewhere (don't remember where now) that italian scientists (or maybe just one?) are saying the virus there is losing its punch, that people are still getting infected but not suffering the dire symptoms they've seen before. wonder what that means, if it's true.

PostPosted: 06/01/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I think there has to be a trough in between. NH just had 3 of its top 9 days for new cases this weekend, and the state is officially only semi-opened.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/01/20 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

i read somewhere (don't remember where now) that italian scientists (or maybe just one?) are saying the virus there is losing its punch, that people are still getting infected but not suffering the dire symptoms they've seen before. wonder what that means, if it's true.

The WHO might have been addressing this when they said today that there was no evidence that the virus is becoming less potent, either less transmissible or less damaging to individuals.

sambista

PostPosted: 06/06/20 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Americans are drinking bleach and dunking food in it to prevent COVID-19

Quote:
The most common risky practice was washing fruits, vegetables, and other foods in bleach solutions. A total of 19 percent said they did this. From there, 18 percent said they used household cleaners—not hand soap—to wash their hands and/or other body parts. Ten percent said they misted themselves with household cleaners and disinfecting products.

Most concerning, 6 percent of respondents said they intentionally inhaled the fumes of household cleaners, including bleach. And 4 percent of people reported gargling or drinking household cleaners, soap solutions, and bleach solutions.

PostPosted: 06/06/20 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Those are some scary-high percentages

PostPosted: 06/06/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some commercial facilities use dilute bleach solutions for washing produce, and there used to be spray bottles of "fruit and veggie cleaners" on the market for home use although I think most of these are vinegar-based now.

But, yeah, there are a lot of stupid people out there, and they're not getting much education about this illness.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/06/20 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brazil is certainly making headlong rush to the top of the charts. Not anywhere near the USA, but in a solid second place.

I still find it most intriguing how comparative countries, such as India and Italy (ranked 6 and 7 in total reported cases respectively*) or Turkey and France (ranked 11 and 12 respectively) have such vastly different numbers in deaths: India - 6,948, Italy - 34,846, and Turkey - 4,669 while France had 29,142. Lop-sided percentages.....why??

(*as reported by worldometer for June 7th)

#NATC

PostPosted: 06/09/20 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Zealand now has 0 active cases of Covid.
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

PostPosted: 06/09/20 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iUWWhi8r8_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/09/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fauci:

Fauci describes the virus as his ‘worst nightmare’ and discusses possible vaccines.

The nation’s top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, delivered a grim assessment of the devastation wrought around the world by the virus, describing Covid-19 on Tuesday as his “worst nightmare” — a new, highly contagious respiratory infection that causes a significant rate of illness and death.

“In a period of four months, it has devastated the whole world,” Dr. Fauci told biotech executives during a conference held by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization. “And it isn’t over yet.”

His discussion with a moderator was conducted remotely and videotaped for conference participants. Although Dr. Fauci said he had known that an outbreak like this could occur, one aspect surprised him: “how rapidly it just took over the planet.”

An efficiently transmitted disease can spread worldwide in six months or a year, but “this took about a month,” Dr. Fauci said. He attributed the rapid spread to the contagiousness of the virus and extensive world travel by infected people.

Vaccines are widely regarded as the best hope of stopping or at least slowing the pandemic, and Dr. Fauci said he was “almost certain” that more than one would be successful. Several are already being tested in people, and at least one is expected to move into large, Phase 3 trials in July.

But much is still unknown about the disease and how it attacks the body, research that Dr. Fauci described as “a work in progress.” Another looming question, he said, was whether survivors who were seriously ill would fully recover.

Dr. Fauci said that he had spent much of his career studying H.I.V., and that the disease it caused was “really simple compared to what’s going on with Covid-19.”

The differences, he said, included Covid’s broad range of severity: no symptoms at all to critical illness and death, with lung damage, intense immune responses and clotting disorders that have caused strokes even in young people, as well as a separate inflammatory syndrome causing severe illness in some children.

“Oh my goodness,” Dr. Fauci said. “Where is it going to end? We’re still at the beginning of it.”

PostPosted: 06/09/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you imagine, H.I.V. “really simple” compared to the coronavirus?

PostPosted: 06/09/20 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Can you imagine, H.I.V. “really simple” compared to the coronavirus?

I can, actually. Having lived through that epidemic and having lost many friends to it, I can now see how Fauci might claim it was simpler than coronavirus. It took a fair number of years to even recognize what it was, but once understood, scientists knew how/where to target their focus. And it did take years (the entire 80s) to develop the necessary Rx to render it a 'manageable disease'.

Even with that understanding, there has never been a true vaccine, but it has nonetheless become controllable. Its *simplicity* in comparison to Covid 19 stems from the HIV's laser focus on t-helper/immunity cells; obliterating them made infected patients vulnerable to otherwise-mundane illnesses that ended up killing them. Add to that the fact that it's NOT as communicable as Covid; HIV requires exchange of body fluids, most prominently blood. That alone makes it less scary, imo.

HIV also morphed into some variant mutant strains, but never to such an extent that it affected other bodily systems. Covid appears capable of mutating in ways that allow it to affect lungs, blood, and other organs and is ITSELF 'the killer'....HIV never killed by itself.

PostPosted: 06/09/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe viral mutations are responsible for COVID's multifocal attack on the body's various systems. The current favorite theory is that the virus attacks the vascular system throughout the other organ systems, leading to both inflammation and clotting, and causing pneumonia, endocarditis, hepatitis, encephalitis, strokes, and so on. Mutations are believed to be clinically insignificant at this point.

Otherwise, you were spot on. Smile

Howee

PostPosted: 06/09/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't believe viral mutations are responsible for COVID's multifocal attack on the body's various systems. The current favorite theory is that the virus attacks the vascular system throughout the other organ systems, leading to both inflammation and clotting, and causing pneumonia, endocarditis, hepatitis, encephalitis, strokes, and so on. Mutations are believed to be clinically insignificant at this point.

Does the encephalitis imply that it crosses the blood-brain barrier, like HIV does? I hadn't heard that yet, but haven't researched it that much, either.

PostPosted: 06/09/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Does the encephalitis imply that it crosses the blood-brain barrier, like HIV does? I hadn't heard that yet, but haven't researched it that much, either.

Apparently. Emory reported finding IgM antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in the CSF of three patients with encephalitis earlier this week. Multiple institutions have been reporting MRI changes consistent with encephalitis in COVID patients for several months, but AFAIK, this is the first time positive CSF has been reported.

Medscape summary and discussion:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/931964?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2413115&faf=1
Pre-print article:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-2122_article

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/10/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Almost 600 US Healthcare Workers Have Died From COVID-19

Quote:
About 600 frontline healthcare workers in the United States have died from the coronavirus, according to a tally by Kaiser Health News and The Guardian.

The number includes doctors, nurses, paramedics, and healthcare staff such as hospital janitors, hospital administrators, and nursing home workers. Most of these workers identified as African American or Asian/Pacific Islander.

The CDC had recorded more than 71,000 cases and 375 deaths among healthcare professionals as of Tuesday morning, though it says the number is an undercount.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/932028?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2414551&faf=1
https://khn.org/news/exclusive-investigation-nearly-600-and-counting-us-health-workers-have-died-of-covid-19/

toad455

PostPosted: 06/10/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Second U.S. Virus Wave Emerges With Texas Hitting Record

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-10/second-u-s-virus-wave-emerges-after-state-reopenings?srnd=premium

The upticks are from states that are nearly fully reopened. Also, most of these states aren't requiring a mask to be worn in public.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 76 of 100

Jump to: