51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 31

toad455

PostPosted: 06/09/20 8:44 pm    ::: 2020 WNBA Season? Reply Reply with quote

Based on Ari Chambers' recent info, do we see a 2020 WNBA season happening?

https://twitter.com/ariivory/status/1270466043572555776

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a difficult situation for everyone ...

Unlike NBA owners who can fall back on franchise value to raise money or sell, WNBA franchises have zero value. This puts owners in a much different situation, as they must generate a profit, or close to it, pretty much every season. And one really bad year could literally take a decade to bounce back from (on the bottom line).

WNBA players also lack the financial flexibility of NBA players (though NBA players aren't noted for their fiscal responsibility).

So should WNBA owners absorb what might be crippling losses? If they do, what are the chances they will fold their franchise at some point down the line? And given the economic climate and lack of potential owners to begin with, how would that impact the future of the league?

Should WNBA players eat box lunches for the run of the season? Should they be sequestered away from their partners and families? And should they take less money?

These are individual choices for the players, and my guess is that the league will be able to fill the rosters even if many players -- most likely the higher-paid ones -- balk. After all, 60% of even a minimum salary is a lot better than no salary, and my sense is that many players aren't making much money right now.

In an ideal world, WNBA players would get the same treatment as NBA players, but in an ideal world, WNBA franchises would have actual value, or even better, the same value as NBA franchises.

Of course, it's not an ideal world, and the WNBA has to play the hand it's dealt, which is not a particularly good one.

I think, in the end, there will be some sort of WNBA season, and the league will resume next summer with 12 teams. It may be that the richer players will just not play this year, but it would be cruel of them to deny the poorer players the opportunity to make some money, even in a truncated and uncomfortable season.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do worry if there is no season if we might see a few teams fold. The last thing the league needs is for teams to start folding. Would really take the league decades to recoup if that happens.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never expected the players would accept the owner's first offer. There's still negotiating to do.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might be an interesting experiment in psychology to see how players would actually fare in 3 months of quarantine ball. Might well escalate tensions after while, and we'd see lots of T's, ejections, and even fighting. Or, perhaps the lack of fans might make players less engaged, and they feel like the season is a joke and put out less effort. Some players seem to feel that way even in front of fans. Of course, WNBA players are probably used to playing in "less than fully packed' arenas so that may not be an issue. In any case, a really bad season lacking in many of the star players, marred by misbehavior, or disinterest by the players could be worse than no season.

There is also the whole issue of the virus - a season marred by even one or just a few players getting seriously ill, would certainly be worse than no season at all. Based on the reports from Plaisance and Cambage who both think they had Covid 19 in China - it could be a really ugly outcome.

Finally, in all likelihood the WNBA would be going up against the NBA, NHL, MLS and MLB all at once. People are starved for sports now, but may quickly get their fill and there is no ratings bonanza for the WNBA.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canceling the season is saying men's sports are more important

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Never expected the players would accept the owner's first offer. There's still negotiating to do.

That was my reaction. People are reacting like there was an agreement between ownership and the WNBPA, but then the rank and file rebelled. As far as I know, that's not the case. They are in the middle of negotiations right now.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the players most likely to sit out are star level or solid starters who are financially secure. However, we also don't know what will happen overseas. I believe Australia has already frozen out foreign players. Other countries may do that too, and if there is a second wave of the virus then seasons may be canceled altogether. The same can be said about the college schedule. All those players who have off-season broadcasting gigs could see that dry up too. In other words, money-making opportunities aren't guaranteed this year, so it may be wise to grab what you can when you can.

Last edited by root_thing on 06/10/20 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the fact that they cant even have family members or spouses at the villas is just ridiculous . NBA counterparts get those perks but the WNBA players wont ? WTH

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, 60% salary. I understand it's a shortened season, but 60% might not even be enough incentive for players to play...ESPECIALLY those who 1. didn't sign new contracts this season & are going off of old ones & 2. for the bigger names who would rather opt out of isolation.

Quote:
Apparently, there's a major discrepancy in food options too. They'll be subjected to boxed-lunches, as opposed to the NBA's personal chef options. I just feel like, for three months of entrapment, in this bubble, without anyone, at least the food could be a saving grace. Nope.

Quote:

ultimately feel guilty for the W's return when more than a few players feel like their hands are being forced into something. From what I gather, they want an opt-out option to be considered. There will be more meetings regarding this but I wonder what the future will hold.

This sounds like prison , i wouldn't do it either . Its like the raise wont even be effective this season so why play ? I could see alot of big names just choosing to sit the year out . Would it count against their Contract years ? Players like Candace and nneka are set to be UFA next season. How would that work ?

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

+1 the ball is in their court literally .

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It might be an interesting experiment in psychology to see how players would actually fare in 3 months of quarantine ball. Might well escalate tensions after while, and we'd see lots of T's, ejections, and even fighting. Or, perhaps the lack of fans might make players less engaged, and they feel like the season is a joke and put out less effort. Some players seem to feel that way even in front of fans. Of course, WNBA players are probably used to playing in "less than fully packed' arenas so that may not be an issue. In any case, a really bad season lacking in many of the star players, marred by misbehavior, or disinterest by the players could be worse than no season.

There is also the whole issue of the virus - a season marred by even one or just a few players getting seriously ill, would certainly be worse than no season at all. Based on the reports from Plaisance and Cambage who both think they had Covid 19 in China - it could be a really ugly outcome.

Finally, in all likelihood the WNBA would be going up against the NBA, NHL, MLS and MLB all at once. People are starved for sports now, but may quickly get their fill and there is no ratings bonanza for the WNBA.

I have a feeling with no fans its going to give a real high school/FIBA tournament vibe and i mean preliminary FIBA tournament games.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Canceling the season is saying men's sports are more important

Box lunches already said that loud and clear. No personal chef for women players? They ought to be ashamed. Razz

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Box lunches already said that loud and clear. No personal chef for women players? They ought to be ashamed. Razz

Thing is, there are a number of current and former WNBA players who are investors in or own restaurants or franchises.

That would be my first call - to see if there could be something arranged for on-site cooking and the provision of food, while also supporting current/former WNBA players (CBA permitting, with respect to the current players).

Randy

PostPosted: 06/10/20 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel can provide ice cream for dessert.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/10/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because food comes in a box doesn’t mean it can’t be good. These days, with most restaurants only open for takeout service, I bet you can get some really great box lunches.

People should remember that most of these players are accustomed to living under difficult conditions when overseas. We read about stars like Taurasi and Bird being spoiled by their Russian billionaire owners but that’s the exception, not the rule. I remember one player – I think it was Devereaux Peters – recounting that her team meal one season was chicken and rice almost every day. And Bec Allen has talked about 7-hour bus rides in Slovakia where you get off, warm-up, play a game, and then get back on the bus for the 7-hour ride home. Even Taurasi and Bird joked recently that playing in Russia for a decade prepared them for the COVID-19 quarantine. Staying at home is mostly what American players do when overseas. Also, we’ve discussed on this board how some of these foreign facilities look like high school gyms. Overseas basketball for most women is simply a job. Even the WNBA is not that exciting. I remember Peters interviewing Natalie Achonwa , and they agreed that playing for a top school like Notre Dame is much more glamorous than playing in the WNBA. You get more attention, you’re given way more free gear, and travel arrangements are better. So, the majority of players are probably more prepared for the proposed living conditions than we might expect. Obviously, there are some players who are greatly concerned about safety. However, for those willing to play, my guess is that their biggest objection is the 60% salary.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Angel can provide ice cream for dessert.

I knew someone was going to go here Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/10/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I've heard is that in a good year, a WNBA team can make $50,000 or so. (But pick a number that makes sense to you, though I would think anything over $100,000 in actual profit would be an exceptional year.)

So let's say this season is a $2 million loss -- that would require a $200,000 profit for 10 years to make up for.

On the other hand, if an owner was looking at losing $1 million, and will only lose $500,000 with the shortened season, well, it's a positive.

To repeat, the biggest weakness, and biggest difference, for the WNBA is that the franchises have no value. The day a WNBA team sells for actual cash is the day the league can really start to grow.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ive honestly always felt that WNBA owners lie about their profit to continuously low ball the players . 2 million in losses per year for teams like PHX , Seattle ,Conn etc would not have them around this long . Ijs , i dont get into the logistics , but from how its explained i feel its a bunch of croc with that 2 million # .

PostPosted: 06/10/20 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
What I've heard is that in a good year, a WNBA team can make $50,000 or so. (But pick a number that makes sense to you, though I would think anything over $100,000 in actual profit would be an exceptional year.)

So let's say this season is a $2 million loss -- that would require a $200,000 profit for 10 years to make up for.

On the other hand, if an owner was looking at losing $1 million, and will only lose $500,000 with the shortened season, well, it's a positive.

To repeat, the biggest weakness, and biggest difference, for the WNBA is that the franchises have no value. The day a WNBA team sells for actual cash is the day the league can really start to grow.

We don't know enough about the financial realities of the teams/league to have any real answers for this stuff. So most/many teams lose money in a normal season - how many of the things that typically lose money are removed if they just don't play at all? Have independent teams already paid non-refundable money to rent arenas for their 18 home dates, or is that cost now zero? If that cost is now zero, are they actually making money compared to a standard year through not having to host games? Do some teams need the ESPN money that would presumably drop to zero if they don't play in order to stay alive? How much sponsorship cash, both league-wide and team-specific, disappears without games? We keep being told that the NBA technically owns half the league - how much of all this are they covering?

There's just too much stuff we have no idea on.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People can make their own decisions, but personally I never, NEVER, trust what sports franchises say about their finances or what anyone hears.

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This proposal seems like the only workable proposal to have a real season. There will be some tweaks. Better food, is this the hill that players want to make their stand; I don't think so. Some relaxation of the quarantine could occur with additional testing. Other lifestyle issues could be addressed. Maybe the owners could make some minor adjustments in pay or perhaps a larger pay structure for the playoffs. But I believe it is this or no season. And I hope the players understand it.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/11/20 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the ESPN and any sponsor money doesn’t pay their costs in a fanless season, then they need to weigh what effects a canceled season would have on future seasons. I think some fans might not return but the vast majority should. Same would probably apply to sponsors.

Or, they could hold a money losing season to help out the players. The amount of money the players get in 2020-2021 overseas play could be way down. Down as far as zero.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/11/20 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The decision to pick Bradenton over Vegas could be the fact that Vegas will be nearly completely reopened shortly. Probably would be very difficult to keep the players isolated when the entire Vegas strip is over for business.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/11/20 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
If the ESPN and any sponsor money doesn’t pay their costs in a fanless season, then they need to weigh what effects a canceled season would have on future seasons. I think some fans might not return but the vast majority should. Same would probably apply to sponsors.

Or, they could hold a money losing season to help out the players. The amount of money the players get in 2020-2021 overseas play could be way down. Down as far as zero.

I suppose the new Commish would hate to have first cancelled season occur under her watch. Taking a year off and rebooting the WNBA might not be a bad idea though. A complicating factor would be the Olympics are scheduled for 2021 which always plays interrupts the WNBA season as well.

At this point, I'm starting to care less and less whether they have a season or not. I have mixed emotion about whether it is safe and would hate to see players get seriously ill. If it starts late July the season would get into the time of year when I start getting busy with other things. Finally, it is a bit frustrating that they really don't seem to have gotten very far in the past 3 months since they are just now coming up with a proposal to the players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: