RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A Shorter WNBA Season Could Keep Some Records Safe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/09/20 9:16 am    ::: A Shorter WNBA Season Could Keep Some Records Safe Reply Reply with quote

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-shorter-wnba-season-could-keep-some-records-safe/

Quote:

Let’s start with win shares. Tamika Catchings holds the high mark for career win shares with 93.65, 28 percent more than Lauren Jackson’s second-place total. Catchings’s record is unbeatable for the moment, but Jackson’s mark is within reach.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/09/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very interesting topic.

I thought the analysis of Griner and her total blocks was particularly interesting.

A more realistic new record-holder does exist on the blocks leaderboard, just above Fowles, in Phoenix’s Brittney Griner, who is already third in all-time blocks at 636. Griner is just 29, and while her 100-plus-block seasons may be behind her — she had three of the seven such seasons in WNBA history in 2014-2016 (Dydek had the other four) — she still averaged 71.3 blocks per season over her past three seasons. If she managed that over her the next four seasons, she’d match Dydek before the fourth full season had finished. Put another way, she would set a new record before reaching Fowles’s current age.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/09/20 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bear in mind, Dydek was already retired when she was the age Fowles is now.

PostPosted: 06/09/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Dydek also played got 114 blocks (13 percent of her total) in 1998, before the ABL disbanded. And she played in an era that had significantly less talent than she did now.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/09/20 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Dydek also played got 114 blocks (13 percent of her total) in 1998, before the ABL disbanded. And she played in an era that had significantly less talent than she did now.

This is why I continue to believe that Ticha Penicheiro's assist numbers are the most impressive. I mean, no disrespect to the likes of Lady Grooms and Kedra Holland-Corn, but Ticha was setting assist records, passing to teammates who couldn't shoot.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/09/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

This is why I continue to believe that Ticha Penicheiro's assist numbers are the most impressive. I mean, no disrespect to the likes of Lady Grooms and Kedra Holland-Corn, but Ticha was setting assist records, passing to teammates who couldn't shoot.

The defenders were pulled from the same talent, and Ticha had to pass because she also couldn't shoot.

I am famously a Ticha skeptic, though, so ...

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/09/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The defenders were pulled from the same talent, and Ticha had to pass because she also couldn't shoot.

But the Monarchs were last in the league in scoring and she still led in assists. And especially early in her career, she was a bad shooter so defenders could play off her to cut passing angles.

But I'm an impossible homer.

PostPosted: 06/09/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

But the Monarchs were last in the league in scoring and she still led in assists. And especially early in her career, she was a bad shooter so defenders could play off her to cut passing angles.

I wonder what her usage percentage is.

I think it’s possible we do see a few per game records go down. A lot of times players start seasons at record paces and then come back to earth. A shorter season may mean they never have the “back to earth” stats crash.

PostPosted: 06/09/20 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I wonder what her usage percentage is.

I think it’s possible we do see a few per game records go down. A lot of times players start seasons at record paces and then come back to earth. A shorter season may mean they never have the “back to earth” stats crash.

That's really interesting.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/09/20 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Exactly. It's one thing to pass, because you can't shoot, it's something else entirely to lead the league in assists, when everybody in every arena knows that you don't want to shoot.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: