2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No team
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 34

toad455

PostPosted: 06/01/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still wonder if the Aces might take a chance on her this season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm guessing if she does well overseas she'll get a look in the league at some point.

Maybe. OTOH, she's not likely to have a bigger year than ex-Baylor Bear Dekeiya Cohen had last season in Turkey (26.4ppg/15.1 rpg) and nobody's picking her up.

PostPosted: 06/02/20 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Highlight tape or not , we can dissect Brewer , Hebard , and any other post taken before Beatrice and come to the same conclusions. No doubt in my mind shes one of the better posts in this class . I think the injury scared teams away , hopefully a year over seas proves her worth .

Not as familiar with Brewer, but one huge difference is that Hebard has a phenomenal touch around the basket. She made 30+ shots in a row, as I recall, and shot over 60% in a much tougher league.

The ability to finish cannot be overrated, I don't think, as the way you determine who wins is by who scores the most points. 52% with no midrange game seems to have been a red flag for Mompremier.

Last edited by ClayK on 06/02/20 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/02/20 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
52% with no midrange game in a mid-major league seems to have been a red flag for Mompremier.

The ACC is a mid-major now?

PostPosted: 06/02/20 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
52% with no midrange game in a mid-major league seems to have been a red flag for Mompremier.

The ACC is a mid-major now?

My bad ... corrected.

PostPosted: 06/02/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has been a full week now and no team has picked up Mompremier from the waiver mart store. Action speaks louder than words.

PostPosted: 06/02/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
It has been a full week now and no team has picked up Mompremier from the waiver mart store. Action speaks louder than words.

Waiver claim period this time of year is 48 hours, so anyone you haven't heard about being claimed - i.e. everyone remotely recent - cleared without being claimed.

Unless someone on a roster decides they don't want to play this year - and while you're being paid for doing nothing, why would you tell anyone anyway? - I don't expect rosters to change at the moment. Vegas might do something at some point, with that open spot to work with, but that's about it.

PostPosted: 06/02/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Waiver claim period this time of year is 48 hours, so anyone you haven't heard about being claimed - i.e. everyone remotely recent - cleared without being claimed.

Unless someone on a roster decides they don't want to play this year - and while you're being paid for doing nothing, why would you tell anyone anyway? - I don't expect rosters to change at the moment. Vegas might do something at some point, with that open spot to work with, but that's about it.

As an aside, it seems that the few vet players who didn't sign during FA (T. Young, Bentley, Zealous, Paris) lose out, esp. if they had offers but didn't sign because they were waiting for a better one. It may have been no one wanted any of those players, but seems like some team might have made an offer.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/02/20 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

As an aside, it seems that the few vet players who didn't sign during FA (T. Young, Bentley, Zealous, Paris) lose out, esp. if they had offers but didn't sign because they were waiting for a better one. It may have been no one wanted any of those players, but seems like some team might have made an offer.

Courtney Paris is assistant coaching at Oklahoma. Zealous and Young are probably past their WNBA expiration dates and are strictly overseas ballers. Bentley, I dunno. She probably has some life left if she wants a spot bad enough.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 06/02/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one free agent I'm most suprised that didn't get signed was Essence Carson. She had a good season with Phoenix last year despite battling an injury. So I expected one or two teams with the cap space to at least offer her the vet minimum. Zellous & T. Young were on their ways down and Bentley had a terrible season with Atlanta.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/02/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was no reason for any team to claim someone off waivers. The top 17 draftees were kept and only Kaila Charles was kept after the top 17. The teams were getting down to a number for salary purposes. Once the season starts (if it does) there may be a path for some of those second round picks to get picked up if there are injuries. But I suspect they won't get much of a look until next preseason. Mompremier looked like a bit of a project anyway, so maybe with a year overseas (if those leagues are playing) could help showcase what game she has, post-injury.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/02/20 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
There was no reason for any team to claim someone off waivers.

I’m sure Wasserman disagrees. As a Minnesota fan, I disagree. A training camp contract has made the team for Minnesota. As far as other teams go, they may need a cheap player in the near future, so if Mompremier seems like a prospect, she could be one of those one-that-got-away players that is now staring them in the face.

calbearman76 wrote:
The top 17 draftees were kept and only Kaila Charles was kept after the top 17.

It was a weird draft, with the Liberty responsible for most of the weirdness, so I wouldn’t get too caught with the numbers.

Technically, suspended players count as “kept”, just not active. Maybe Mompremier should have gone the suspended route, but with Vadeeva coming back next year, her outlook was probably better off with another team. Curse the Sparks for drafting her in the first place.

calbearman76 wrote:
The teams were getting down to a number for salary purposes. Once the season starts (if it does) there may be a path for some of those second round picks to get picked up if there are injuries.

Or as I’ve recently pointed out, one of those teams who can only afford 11 right now can pick up a player during the season when the contracted becomes prorated.

calbearman76 wrote:
But I suspect they won't get much of a look until next preseason. Mompremier looked like a bit of a project anyway, so maybe with a year overseas (if those leagues are playing) could help showcase what game she has, post-injury.

A project, you mean like 3-teams-in-one-year Anigwe? Why does that project deserve three chances to Mompremier’s none?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/02/20 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Curse the Sparks for drafting her in the first place.

If we’re placing blame on why she’s out of the League so soon, curse darn near all the other teams that passed on her - namely New York, whose new regime is unfortunately allergic to the type of post player that Mompremier is. Indiana and of course Minnesota are others that could’ve realistically used their picks on her - and now they’re rolling with only four true post players apiece instead of the traditional five. Hard to say if that’s truly by design. Or heck, do curse all the teams collectively cuz it looks like these conventional post players are being phased out of the League unless they’re particularly tall (6’6+) and/or can hit shots from anywhere in the quarter-court.

Back to Minnesota though, they’re still an interesting case. They could’ve easily went with 11 with Sims (& Shepard) on ‘suspended’ status and kept their options open that way. They’ve been the most unpredictable team really since Moore chose to continue her team absence for another year. Why keep Carleton with similar-profile Zandalasini on the roster? Or maybe she won’t be if she can’t leave Italy? Ditto Dantas in Brazil? It’ll be interesting to see if the League still isn’t playing by the time these contracts get ‘guaranteed’ for the year. Though that concept depends on if the ‘guaranteed’ hard date is still a thing at this point and can go into effect while a season is still on hold. If so though, maybe by then, non-North American players will officially not be able to make it because of ever-changing international travel restrictions. Rosters could change like normal until the supposed ‘guaranteed’ date, I’m guessing.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 06/03/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still not sure what outstanding things Mompremier accomplished in college that warranted a multi-page thread on why she deserves another chance. Realistically, she was never going to make the LA roster. However, since several teams passed on her multiple times, she probably wouldn’t have made one in general without a training camp.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/03/20 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Still not sure what outstanding things Mompremier accomplished in college that warranted a multi-page thread on why she deserves another chance. Realistically, she was never going to make the LA roster. However, since several teams passed on her multiple times, she probably wouldn’t have made one in general without a training camp.

I think the consensus believes if she had a shot at someone's training camp she would be the most likely rookie to beat out the 12th man.

PostPosted: 06/03/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Still not sure what outstanding things Mompremier accomplished in college that warranted a multi-page thread on why she deserves another chance.

I think the consensus believes if she had a shot at someone's training camp she would be the most likely rookie to beat out the 12th man.

I think this is also what happens when there isn’t anything else League-related to talk about. We’ve been bored. Laughing

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 06/03/20 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Would she though? I don’t see her sticking in camps in LA, PHX, Seattle, Chicago or Connecticut. Dallas had the opportunity to bring her in as a project and didn’t. She doesn’t fit the style New York wants to play. That’s already more than half the league. Indiana’s post rotation was close to being figured out once Cox was added. Atlanta seems pretty set now, and they also opted to go with Brewer vs. Mompremier.

LV had their chance to claim her and have not, while having a space open for another player. Minnesota and Washington are the only two lefts, and I highly doubt she would’ve lasted in the Mystics’ camp. Realistically, she may have been able to beat out Alexander. But, Minnesota already has one rookie post project to worry about.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/03/20 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mompremier can use her spare time to sharpen her social distancing skills. She can also use her spare time writing resumes and cover letters. She can flex her brain power to show prospective employers that she did not spend all her time in college playing basketball. Cool

PostPosted: 06/03/20 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked Mompremier and think she is slightly a victim of the circumstance of no training camp/no pre-season with players staggering back from over seas giving marginal players not only camp but some pre-season games to show their stuff.

I had her ahead of some other posts that made teams, and I think she will make it to the league (probably next year) and will have a chance to prove herself.

Looking at the last post on each team you can say, yes they're better than Mompremier because they are on a team but I don't think if you swapped them with Mompremier that the team would be any better or worse. Looking at the team that drafted her if she made 57000 instead of 59500 she may very well have made it. I am not saying she got robbed but that circumstances can help and hurt a player beyond over all ability. I think most would agree that there are guards and post out there as good as the last guard or post who made a team who just missed their opportunity.

In Mompremier's case what she had working for her was a legit WNBA post body, and what looked like some post skills both on offense and defense and a developing mid to long range shot, working against her recent injury history and not being so much obviously better or brimming with higher potential that teams in a weird shortened season felt a need to take a risk on her or cut someone on there team who already knew the system, already knew how to be a W player, was a better fit with what they are trying to do, who they felt loyalty to or who they chose to draft instead of Mompremier when given the chance (though I think we can all agree draft mistakes are common, teams often draft players who turn out to mot pan out or miss on players who turn out to be good, heck the Liberty had Russell on their team and waived her just in time for her to become a legit 6' 6" W center on another squad. I can't even remember who we waived her to make room for but I won't be shocked if the answer is regrettable).

last post on each team

LA Ulich or Anigwe
Atl Brewer
Conn B Jones
Chi Hebard
Dallas Gustafson
Indy Mavunga
LV Swords
Minn Alexander
NY Shook
PX A. Smith
Sea Magbegor
Wash Hines-Allen

I am not saying that there is anyone on that list that doesn't deserve their roster spot, and they were all chosen over Mompremier in one way or another, but I also won't be surprised if half that list is out of the league by 2022 and Mompremier has worked her way up to rotational post player somewhere in the league.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/04/20 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The person Katie Smith kept as a “post” instead of Russell was Marisa Coleman. Signing Coleman was almost universally hated by Liberty fans. Most of us were happy when Smith was elevated to head coach, but this was the first indication that she was clueless.

As for Mompremier, the interesting thing to me is that she was on the Pan Am team in August along with Alarie and Brewer. I didn’t watch the tournament, so all I can do is speculate based on the stats and who started. The information below indicates that Mompremier started while Alarie and Brewer were backups. Bella played significant minutes, but Brittany did not. In fact, Brewer didn’t even get off the bench for two of the games. Overall, Beatrice appears to be the most productive player on the team. It’s only five games obviously, but given that there was no NCAA Tournament this year, the Pan Am Games were the most recent opportunity we had to see these players on the same stage and on more or less equal footing. Based on the numbers, Mompremier was the best player. Anyone who actually watched the tournament should jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

So, what happened in the subsequent 8 months that allowed Alarie and Brewer to eclipse Mompremier? Brewer made a quantum leap in performance between her junior and senior years. She improved her scoring by 75% (16.6 v 9.5), more than doubled her rebounding rate (10.3 v 5.0), and more than tripled her blocks per game (4.4 v 1.3). In contrast, Alarie had a significant decline in virtually every category (17.5 v 22.8 ppg, 8.6 v 10.6 rpg, 2.3 v 3.4 apg, 2.3 v 2.8 bpg) except for three-point shooting. There she improved to 21-59 35.6% from 13-44 29.5% the previous season. Oddly enough, Alarie compiled better numbers as a junior despite missing nine games with an injury. Meanwhile, Mompremier’s year-to-year change was a mixed bag. Scoring was roughly the same (16.8 v 16.7), rebounds were down significantly (9.8 v 12.2) and blocks slightly up (1.4 v 1.0). She did miss 13 games due to an injury, but her numbers before and after her absence were roughly the same. Perhaps she played all season with some kind of injury, but I’m not aware of that being the case. Again, someone should jump in if they know more. Otherwise, it looks to me like the only reason being injured hurt her draft status was because Beatrice dropped off the radar for a while. However, I’m not convinced even that’s true. Alarie and Brewer play for relatively low profile basketball schools (Princeton and Texas Tech). It seems to me that if scouts are interested, they will find you. If they can’t see you live, there’s always video.

Looking at those changes in college performance, do they account for Mompremier’s slide over the eight months between her Pan Am Games and the WNBA Draft? Well, Alarie’s statistical drop-off is far greater than that of Mompremier’s. How does that elevate her to the #5 pick versus Beatrice at #20? It doesn’t. On the other hand, Brewer’s case makes more sense. She achieved tremendous improvement over the previous year, and her 4.4 blocks per game stands out -- especially compared to Mompremier’s 1.4.

My guess is that the decisions really came down to fit based on skill set as well as the rather squishy concept of potential. While probably not a major factor, I don’t think it’s entirely accidental that the players were drafted in reverse order of age. Alarie turned 22 in April, Brewer will be 23 in November, and Mompremier turns 24 in August. If you’re drafting based on potential and the players are close, having that extra development time could be a deciding factor. As far as skill set goes, Alarie can shoot 3’s and Brewer has started shooting 3’s. The latter is at least a competent 2-pt jump-shooter, so that combined with her occasional made 3-pointer gives the impression of being dangerous from distance. Looking at the other posts taken ahead of Mompremier, Sabally and Shook are good 3-pt shooters, while Cox is like Brewer – not great, but serviceable enough to require guarding on the perimeter. This is all consistent with the modern trend toward having more shooters to spread the floor. The two posts who don’t shoot 3’s – Hebard and Holmes – have other attributes which I guess made them more appealing. Hebard is super efficient around the rim while Holmes is freakish athletic for someone so bulky. She like Alarie also has some surprising ball-handling ability for a big player.

Summing it up, I don’t think anything in particular is holding back Mompremier. There are just a lot of little comparisons that may work against her. Beatrice doesn’t have consistent jump-shooting ability like some of the other bigs. She doesn’t block shots as well as some of the other posts. She doesn’t offer any extra skills like ball-handling. Beatrice is older than the other players. She doesn’t benefit from the halo effect of playing for a top program or one that has produced a lot of successful WNBA players. While Beatrice is a good athlete and very mobile compared to traditional post players, she isn’t outstanding compared to the other big people in this draft who are also mobile and good athletes. Mompremier is good enough to be considered a serious prospect, but nothing about her is eye-catching or particularly exciting.

It’s interesting to me that Dallas added four tall players this offseason and all of them are 3-pt threats: Ndour, Katie Lou Samuelson, Sabally, and Alarie. I don’t know if Agler wants to spread the floor like Hopkins in New York – albeit the jumbo version with tall players -- or if he simply wants to recreate the offensive versatility he had in LA with Parker, Nneka, and Lavender. Either way, you see where Alarie is a better fit than Mompremier. Given the trends of this most recent draft, it makes me wonder about the 2021 draft where you have Natasha Mack versus Charli Collier if the latter enters early. Mack is currently the better player – clearly so -- but Collier shoots 3’s (28-77 36.4%), has the sturdier pro-ready body, and is two years younger. Right now, I’m guessing that Collier goes higher.

PostPosted: 06/04/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good thoughts root. I'm not really sold on Alarie but of the three you're talking about she probably has the most 'up' side. At least she's the most unknown because of where she played, but also clearly has some outside skills. I really didn't see much of Brewer, but as you say, her senior numbers definitely stood out. Personally I would take Mompremier over Holmes, but that's because I'm really down on Holmes more than that I'm up on Mompremier.

As a side note: The thing I think most people are missing about Hebard is that she actually does have a nice 10-15' shot. I've seen her consistently make that shot - it's just that she didn't need to do so very often in the offence Oregon ran. I think that might surprise a few people. I do think she's undersized against really big inside players so it will be interesting to see if she can adjust.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/04/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great post ...

A couple things:

1) Usually the Pan Am Games' teams lack size, so it would make sense strategically to just pound the ball inside -- and it would be relatively easy to rebound.

2) I did not know Mompremier will be 24 in August. To me, that's a pretty big negative, because she'll peak in three or four years, and she still needs a couple years to develop.

Non-Mompremier stuff:

1) Chennedy Carter's four assists in 100 minutes (to nine turnovers) do not make her appear to me to be a point guard. She took nearly 12 shots for each assist.

2) The Bella Alarie info was very interesting, and it does make you wonder why she was the fifth pick.

PostPosted: 06/05/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beatrice Mompremier was hurt dramatically by her injury. Even though her stats didn't suffer in her 4 games back, much of that was because she was playing against the bottom of the ACC. Boston College was the only decent team she played, and the Hurricanes lost by 11. The other 3 were against the 3 bottom teams and that included a 15 point loss to Clemson in the ACC tournament.

Maybe she was still hurt, maybe she was rusty, but those final 4 games leave questions about whether she can play to her prior form. A training camp might have answered those questions but that still has to be a big red flag.

As for comparisons, Kristen Anigwe was a far better college player. She is also a much better defender. Statistically she had more points, more rebounds, better FG%, FT% and 3pt%, more block steals and assists. The only stat where she trailed was in turnovers where she would constantly get put in difficult positions because the Bears kept ill-advisedly feeding the post. She has struggled in the WNBA in large part because 6'4" just isn't as impressive in the WNBA for an interior player with not much of an outside game.

Let Mompremier show something overseas and teams may be willing to give her a look in 2021.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/07/20 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mompremier probably should have entered the 2019 draft. Her 2019 season at Miami was quite good. Her injury last season really seemed to plummet her stock.

Agree-if any kid is trying to decide whether to leave or go, if eligible, look at this situation. Beatrice was preseason ACC POY and then that injury happened. I feel so bad for her.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/07/20 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hungarian EuroCup team Uri Gyor signed Mompremier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: