RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches' Seats Getting Warm, and Why
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/20 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Balcomb got more out of less than any other coach I've seen. I really think recruiting is the issue, that's why I asked about being hamstrung by the academic requirements.

*shrug* Jim Foster didn't have a problem there.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the U.S. News 2020 rankings of national universities Vanderbilt is tied with Notre Dame at #15. Stanford is tied with Chicago and Penn at #6. Vanderbilt accepts 10% of applicants; Stanford accepts 4%. I have no idea whether either makes admissions exceptions for athletes.

I'm in camp that looked upon Balcomb as a very good X&O floor coach, who did indeed get a lot out of her players at Xavier and Vanderbilt. She certainly was not an elite recruiter and I have no idea whether she was personally liked.

The plunge under White is puzzling. She is an excellent TV game analyst, but maybe that doesn't translate into being a good coach synthesist. Her recruiting is clearly part of the problem. Maybe there just aren't a lot of top notch basketball players who are also top notch academic students who want to go to Nashville, as opposed to Palo Alto, Durham, South Bend, Berkeley, Evanston, Los Angeles, or Princeton.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/20/20 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Balcomb got more out of less than any other coach I've seen. I really think recruiting is the issue, that's why I asked about being hamstrung by the academic requirements.

Uhhhhhh, a lot has changed culturally since Jim Foster left Vandy, a lot.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not as much as you think. Vandy was then pretty much what it is now. Jim was able to find and GET the kind of recruits that would come to Vandy. Balcomb was a so-so recruiter on the best of days. Steph seems flummoxed by the need for ability + grades. Or something.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

White wasn't that good of a coach in the WNBA, so it's hardly surprising that she's not that good of a coach in college. She doesn't have Tamika Catchings on the floor to cover her deficiencies at Vandy.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not as much as you think. Vandy was then pretty much what it is now. Jim was able to find and GET the kind of recruits that would come to Vandy. Balcomb was a so-so recruiter on the best of days. Steph seems flummoxed by the need for ability + grades. Or something.

There are several other tier one academic schools that also have pretty decent basketball teams: Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame for three...so while it does restrict who you recruit, it's not a total deal breaker. To me Vandy is one of/if not 'the' best Southern school academically so you would think some of those Southern belle nerdy bball players would be interested.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
To me Vandy is one of/if not 'the' best Southern school academically so you would think some of those Southern belle nerdy bball players would be interested.

At 1 degree further south latitude than Vandy, Duke might take umbrage with that. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 04/21/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
To me Vandy is one of/if not 'the' best Southern school academically so you would think some of those Southern belle nerdy bball players would be interested.

At 1 degree further south latitude than Vandy, Duke might take umbrage with that. Razz Laughing

Yeah, but Duke has Coach P Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 04/21/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, so let's take an image of two old fashioned fans (the kind you wave in the air to get a breeze, not the kind that sit courtside and scream obscenities at the refs).
Duke and Vandy are at the 'hub' of their respective fans with the fanned out part pointing southward. Half of Duke's fan is out in the ocean - not too many nerdy athletes out there. Meanwhile Vandy's fan goes all the way from Florida to Texas. So yeah, there is some area of overlap but in general I just think Vandy SHOULD have a bigger area of natural recruiting.

Of course in recent years, we've stolen some of those recruits - Fingall, Brown, Dodson - but in general the bad guys on the East Coast steal a lot more of our good West Coast athletes than we do of theirs....

now where the heck was I going with this? Somehow I got distracted! Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/21/20 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
now where the heck was I going with this? Somehow I got distracted! Laughing

Laughing You might have been better off just saying, "Yep, Howee....you're right: Duke IS The Best School In The South". BUT. You know how much I'd enjoy THAT moment. Hence the *fan dance* obfuscation. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 04/27/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Duke and Vandy are at the 'hub' of their respective fans with the fanned out part pointing southward. Half of Duke's fan is out in the ocean - not too many nerdy athletes out there.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say with this post. Would you mind clarifying?

Howee

PostPosted: 04/27/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Duke and Vandy are at the 'hub' of their respective fans with the fanned out part pointing southward. Half of Duke's fan is out in the ocean - not too many nerdy athletes out there.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say with this post. Would you mind clarifying?

It's a geography *thing*.... Laughing ....re-examine the 4th post above yours, and you might (?) understand better. Wink

PostPosted: 04/27/20 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
So I guess it comes down to whether Washington's AD gives a hoot about WBB. It usually does.

2/5 of Wynn’s most recent class are leaving... including the one PG she’s managed to sign in her entire tenure.

John Wooden
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/28/20 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
2/5 of Wynn’s most recent class are leaving... including the one PG she’s managed to sign in her entire tenure.

Confused I wonder if more are to come. It could be a sh!t show next season without Melgoza. We'll need to have talented freshmen coming in to take the lead (supposedly it is the most talented class Wynn has assembled in her four years here) if we have any chance, as the current group on the roster has not improved/been developed much by the coaching staff. I've given up on our soon-to-be seniors. Still, despite how much I've criticized Wynn on here, I'll give her a lot of credit if we can even match our win total from this past season - but I'm not even expecting a season period let alone a good one...

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/28/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

But did they have to look up flummoxed, like I did(?)... Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

But did they have to look up flummoxed, like I did(?)... Laughing

Very Happy You must not live in the south, then!

PostPosted: 04/28/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those of us that live in New England didn't have to look it up.

CHSHog

PostPosted: 04/28/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is very surprising to me that Coach Flo isn't gone. Her team was very poor this year, despite having a 1st team All-SEC post, some decent (though young) talent on the perimeter, and a senior PG.

And the transfer exodus -- 7 players leaving, 2 of whom left before the season even started, and all 3 of their reasonably highly touted young gards (Moore, Benton, Hansen) -- should have put the final nail in the coffin.

Her 2020 recruiting class includes two JUCOs, a 6'2" forward from Israel, and a PWO from Dunwoody, GA with no P5 offers. They do have Honesty Scott-Grayson getting eligible, though, so maybe there's a bright spot. Flo has only one 2021 commit (last week, and if you read the story it is clear that it was a whirlwind recruitment - the kid has never even been to the campus. Her other offers were Austin Peay and San Jose St.).

I can only assume that Auburn is concerned about the potential for a pandemic-related revenue drop-off and doesn't want to spend the money to buy her out.

PostPosted: 05/31/20 5:59 am    ::: McCallie Reply Reply with quote

Coach McCallie may be near the end of the road at Duke

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/5/30/21272863/duke-womens-basketball-is-at-a-crossroads-joanne-p-mcallie

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/31/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CHSHog wrote:
It is very surprising to me that Coach Flo isn't gone. Her team was very poor this year, despite having a 1st team All-SEC post, some decent (though young) talent on the perimeter, and a senior PG.

And the transfer exodus -- 7 players leaving, 2 of whom left before the season even started, and all 3 of their reasonably highly touted young gards (Moore, Benton, Hansen) -- should have put the final nail in the coffin.

Her 2020 recruiting class includes two JUCOs, a 6'2" forward from Israel, and a PWO from Dunwoody, GA with no P5 offers. They do have Honesty Scott-Grayson getting eligible, though, so maybe there's a bright spot. Flo has only one 2021 commit (last week, and if you read the story it is clear that it was a whirlwind recruitment - the kid has never even been to the campus. Her other offers were Austin Peay and San Jose St.).

I can only assume that Auburn is concerned about the potential for a pandemic-related revenue drop-off and doesn't want to spend the money to buy her out.

That's it. No women's program in a Power 5 conference (where buy-outs are higher than other programs) fired a coach this year. So not a single program looked at their finances and decided that they could afford a buy-out.

Texas let Aston's contract run out, but she wasn't fired during a contract, so no buy-out.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/31/20 1:38 pm    ::: Re: McCallie Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/5/30/21272863/duke-womens-basketball-is-at-a-crossroads-joanne-p-mcallie

Actually a surprisingly fair article, so you know nobody from this forum wrote it. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 05/31/20 7:07 pm    ::: Re: McCallie Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

FIVE scholarship openings and no takers?? Shocked

PostPosted: 06/01/20 11:47 am    ::: Re: McCallie Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
greatgator wrote:

Actually a surprisingly fair article, so you know nobody from this forum wrote it. Surprised

Actually, the person who wrote it also writes articles regarding WBB for GoDuke.com, Duke's official athletics department website. If anything, it was slanted in favor of McCallie.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/01/20 12:05 pm    ::: Re: McCallie Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
greatgator wrote:

FIVE scholarship openings and no takers?? Shocked

it's a two way street. they have to be offered in order to 'take'.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: