RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC news 2020-2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/22/20 6:05 pm    ::: SEC news 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

There's some individual threads for individual teams but this can be a catchall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.vanderbilt.edu/2020/05/21/candice-storey-lee-to-lead-commodores/amp/

As Candice Storey she played on Jim fosters turn-of-the-century teams as a back up to center Chantel Anderson.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/22/20 6:08 pm    ::: Re: SEC news 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
There's some individual threads for individual teams but this can be a catchall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.vanderbilt.edu/2020/05/21/candice-storey-lee-to-lead-commodores/amp/

As Candice Storey she played on Jim fosters turn-of-the-century teams as a back up to center Chantel Anderson.

Stephanie White is going into her 5th season and has gone 13-51 in the SEC. New AD, didn't hire White and maybe she will look to put her own imprint on the program.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/22/20 11:04 pm    ::: Re: SEC news 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Stephanie White is going into her 5th season and has gone 13-51 in the SEC. New AD, didn't hire White and maybe she will look to put her own imprint on the program.

A lot will determine things this coming season, I would imagine. Despite White's horrible record thus far, Vanderbilt took a step forward this past season and was on their way to a strong season, until they had a series of injuries to key players derail the season. At one point they were 12-4 and 2-1 in conference play, and then went 2-11 the rest of the way.

White brought in a HUGE 2019 class, so the team was full of freshmen. Koi Love was one and was as good of a freshman as any in the SEC, averaging 13.7 ppg and 6.2 rpg, but she showed her inexperience and turned the ball over way too much, joining Tennessee's Jordan Horston in that regard.

The 'Dores lose Fasoula who was a big presence for them in the paint, but return 4 other primary starters plus Alexander who was a projected starter and averaged 13.4 ppg but only played 7 games.

Vanderbilt will have some youth in the paint next season, but they will have depth there and if they improve to having a winning season and also improve in conference play by 2-3 wins, that may save White's job. But if not the whole disruption of COVID-19 may be the cover the new AD needs to make a change in the program, and bring in her own choice....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/28/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC-Big12 Challenge announced for both conferences for next season:

South Carolina @ Iowa State
Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas
Tennessee @ West Virginia

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Christian @ Missouri
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

The SEC's Mississippi State, Auburn, Louisiana State and Florida get passes next season, due to the SEC having 14 teams versus only 10 for the Big 12...

Howee

PostPosted: 05/28/20 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

The SEC's Mississippi State, Auburn, Louisiana State and Florida get passes next season, due to the SEC having 14 teams versus only 10 for the Big 12...

Some interesting, level matchups. TX A&M @ TX oughtta be good. Cool

PostPosted: 05/29/20 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

Man, seems like the SEC kinda got the short end of the stick. Seems like their better teams will all be forced to go on the road (or not participate). I know Arkansas was having a good year and they may be good next year, I don't know. I hope so seeing as they are hosting Baylor.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/29/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

Man, seems like the SEC kinda got the short end of the stick. Seems like their better teams will all be forced to go on the road (or not participate). I know Arkansas was having a good year and they may be good next year, I don't know. I hope so seeing as they are hosting Baylor.

Baylor and TCU were the only Big12 teams last season to win 20+ games, and both of them are on the road for the Challenge....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/29/20 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

Baylor and TCU were the only Big12 teams last season to win 20+ games, and both of them are on the road for the Challenge....

The Big 12 isn't any good.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/30/20 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

OK. I wasn't responding to a post that said the Big 12 wasn't any good. I was responding to a post that said the SEC's better teams were being forced to go on the road, meaning that the Big 12's better teams were not being forced. I stated the top 2 teams for the Big 12 last season were going on the road for this next season's Challenge....

Regardless of how good or bad any particular conference is, if your conference is going to go through the trouble to set up a joint Challenge with them, if you want it to last longer than 1 or 2 years, you have to have some fairness in the scheduling......

Howee

PostPosted: 05/30/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Regardless of how good or bad any particular conference is, if your conference is going to go through the trouble to set up a joint Challenge with them, if you want it to last longer than 1 or 2 years, you have to have some fairness in the scheduling......

Laughing Matty hates Baylor/Kim, and....well....there ain't much after that in the Big 12. They've been way down for years now. Re: fairness, I dunno....that slate looks pretty decent to me. Most of those SEC teams are probably going to win their matchups, and winning on the road is probably better for their resume, no?

Let's just hope and pray it all HAPPENS! Shocked

PostPosted: 05/30/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It usually evens out in the end. One year might look skewed one way but the next is likely skewed the other.
Here's last year:
Wednesday, December 4
Georgia at Baylor
Ole Miss at Texas Tech

Thursday, December 5
Iowa State at Alabama

Saturday, December 7
LSU at Oklahoma
Auburn at TCU
Kansas State at Arkansas
Oklahoma State at Texas A&M

Sunday, December 8
West Virginia at Mississippi State
Florida at Kansas
Texas at Tennessee

Baylor is home, but so is Tennessee, Miss State, and A&M. Texas and ISU are both on the road. Seems like the SEC got the long end of the stick in 2019.

- Amanda Gorman
OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/08/20 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Kentucky @ Kansas State
Alabama @ Oklahoma State
Texas A&M @ Texas

Baylor @ Arkansas
Kansas @ Mississippi
Oklahoma @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

OK. I wasn't responding to a post that said the Big 12 wasn't any good. I was responding to a post that said the SEC's better teams were being forced to go on the road, meaning that the Big 12's better teams were not being forced. I stated the top 2 teams for the Big 12 last season were going on the road for this next season's Challenge....

I appreciate concerns about scheduling balance, but except maybe for some bottom-of-the-conference games, I don't think being on the road will affect the outcomes of most games. Here's why:

Iowa State will have a big crowd at home, and some teams that shouldn't lose to CY lose games there (like Baylor's one point loss there last year). But South Carolina is a MUCH better team than ISU, and unlike Baylor, whom Bill Fennelly coached teams play at least once a year, every year, ISU does not play SC every year (or hardly ever, period). SC will cream ISU, leaving Gamecocks tracks all over Hilton Arena.

Kentucky was 3rd in a good conference last season (SEC) and is better than K-State (4th in a weaker conference last season), and K-State does not draw crowds so that x-factor does not matter. Kentucky should win.

OkState vs. Alabama Who cares? (Sorry OkState and Bama fans) OkState was 8th in Big 12 last season. Alabama was 8th in SEC last season.

Texas A&M vs Texas: This could be a good game. Aggies ended 3rd in SEC and #18 nationally. They lost to MS State at MS State. Now Vic left MS State and is coaching Texas. Longhorns were 3rd in Big 12 last season. Vic might beat Gary in Austin. Great rivalry. If I were within a few hours drive, I would go to see the game AND watch the always fun Aggies band (if they travel with).

TN versus WVU: "Lady" Vols were 3rd in SEC last season but WVU was 6th in Big 12. Mismatch in rankings and conference difficulty. Vols should win this one on the road.

Baylor on the road v Arkansas, could be fun, but unless Baylor has an awful day, they should win. Both were nationally ranked teams last season, but Baylor was near the top and Arky near the bottom of the top 25. Still, I'd buy a ticket to that game if I were in town.

TCU on the road beats Mizzou; Mizzou was near the bottom of the SEC last season and TCU was #2 in Big 12

The rest: maybe home court advantage will matter here as teams who are in the bottom half of both conferences duke it out. So advantage goes to SEC there.

My 2 cents (or less) worth...At this point, I'm just hoping that these games get played at all this season.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: