RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

NABC, WBCA proposing extension of dead period to July 31st

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2456
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/12/20 2:44 pm    ::: NABC, WBCA proposing extension of dead period to July 31st Reply Reply with quote

Man, this would be a major development in recruiting. The summer is a HUGE recruiting period. If they lose this entire evaluation period, it will definitely create some angst among both the student-athletes as well as the coaching staffs across the country.

I mean, it would make sense given all of the unknowns we are currently facing so I'm not implying this would be a stupid move at all. Just saying that this will have a huge impact on the Class of 2021 for sure.

Anyway, ESPN article here: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29166661/nabc-wbca-recommend-extending-recruiting-dead-period-july


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2393



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/13/20 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could this be one of those "silver lining" things - isn't the entire recruiting/coaching/AAU/development eco system already overloaded with too many tournaments and so much pressure on the kids?

Obviously it's a preemptive move considering there may not be any live basketball to watch anyway, but I think coaches will still get verbals - it's more to evaluate the 2022 and 2023 and beyond kids anyway.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10546



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/13/20 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole summer period is excess ...

An experienced college coach once told me he could tell if a player could help his program by watching the layup line. Hyperbole, yes, but not by much. There's no real need to see these kids multiple times, and if there really were, you could modify the rules during the high school season.

There's no need for West Coast players to have play in Virginia because, as HerHoopStats noted, West Coast kids very likely will stay on the West Coast. The money spent by parents to ship players all over the country is just waste, plain and simple.

On the flip side, think of the money colleges spend so their coaches can sit in the stands and text while they're babysitting some girl who's already signed. That's one reason, by the way, I think the colleges cancelled the summer season is that it saves them money (all the recruiters on the road in all sports).

On the girls' side, there are more D1 scholarships than there are D1 players, so really all this money is spent so some girls can have more options.

If you're good enough, they will find you.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2456
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/14/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The whole summer period is excess ...

An experienced college coach once told me he could tell if a player could help his program by watching the layup line. Hyperbole, yes, but not by much. There's no real need to see these kids multiple times, and if there really were, you could modify the rules during the high school season.

There's no need for West Coast players to have play in Virginia because, as HerHoopStats noted, West Coast kids very likely will stay on the West Coast. The money spent by parents to ship players all over the country is just waste, plain and simple.

On the flip side, think of the money colleges spend so their coaches can sit in the stands and text while they're babysitting some girl who's already signed. That's one reason, by the way, I think the colleges cancelled the summer season is that it saves them money (all the recruiters on the road in all sports).

On the girls' side, there are more D1 scholarships than there are D1 players, so really all this money is spent so some girls can have more options.

If you're good enough, they will find you.


I would agree that there is some excess for sure, but the opportunity to view SO MANY kids in one setting makes a huge difference for the smaller budget schools. The summer viewing period provides that opportunity and allows the coaches to develop a database of kids for the coming years as well as watch the top rising seniors. Having worked at schools both small budget as well as big budget, I can attest to the value this period provides.

Not having the summer period will certainly save a huge chunk of money for the schools (flights, rental cars, hotel, event packets, gas, food, etc) but it will definitely also impact recruiting for a while as well.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10546



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/14/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The whole summer period is excess ...

An experienced college coach once told me he could tell if a player could help his program by watching the layup line. Hyperbole, yes, but not by much. There's no real need to see these kids multiple times, and if there really were, you could modify the rules during the high school season.

There's no need for West Coast players to have play in Virginia because, as HerHoopStats noted, West Coast kids very likely will stay on the West Coast. The money spent by parents to ship players all over the country is just waste, plain and simple.

On the flip side, think of the money colleges spend so their coaches can sit in the stands and text while they're babysitting some girl who's already signed. That's one reason, by the way, I think the colleges cancelled the summer season is that it saves them money (all the recruiters on the road in all sports).

On the girls' side, there are more D1 scholarships than there are D1 players, so really all this money is spent so some girls can have more options.

If you're good enough, they will find you.


I would agree that there is some excess for sure, but the opportunity to view SO MANY kids in one setting makes a huge difference for the smaller budget schools. The summer viewing period provides that opportunity and allows the coaches to develop a database of kids for the coming years as well as watch the top rising seniors. Having worked at schools both small budget as well as big budget, I can attest to the value this period provides.

Not having the summer period will certainly save a huge chunk of money for the schools (flights, rental cars, hotel, event packets, gas, food, etc) but it will definitely also impact recruiting for a while as well.


Agreed that it would have an impact -- but my question would be: How many girls who get scholarships now would not get them if there were no viewing period? And since colleges will fill out their rosters regardless, is the loss of accuracy (which may not be that great to begin with) impact the sport as a whole?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2456
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Agreed that it would have an impact -- but my question would be: How many girls who get scholarships now would not get them if there were no viewing period? And since colleges will fill out their rosters regardless, is the loss of accuracy (which may not be that great to begin with) impact the sport as a whole?


How much of an impact on the sport as a whole? To the average fan, probably not much at all. I am looking at the impact it has on a coaching staff's ability to accurately pinpoint their recruiting targets, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a girl in Coudersport, PA that has her sights set on going to Boston University but may not get that opportunity because though they have some interest, the coaches hadn't had a chance to see her in person during the school year. They had seen her a year ago, added her to the list because she had "potential" and were planning on making the final call on her in July. That scenario will play out many times across the country at the mid-major level IMO. Will she still get that scholarship offer from St. Francis (PA) and Niagara, sure, but she very well could have gotten the one she wanted to the school she loved because it had everything she was looking for.

I think one of the bigger impacts for college coaches will just be having a database for 2022 in particular. Sure, they have seen tons of kids and added them to the list, but unless they saw them this school year, it will have been almost 2 years since they have been seen. That makes it pretty difficult on a staff to be accurate, which as you correctly alluded to in your post, is pretty difficult to begin with.

Anyway, the impact this pandemic has had across the country in so many ways is pretty mind-boggling and downright surreal. This is just another very tiny layer in the grand scheme of things.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2456
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/20 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And it looks like this will be the case. Dead period extended until the end of July. This really does impact a lot of people and communities at this point. We have been talking about the recruiting aspect for kids and coaching staffs. This also eliminates the entire summer recruiting period, which is a big deal to facilities that were hosting those events, the communities in which those were being hosted, the event operators, etc.

The facilities rely on those events to bring in a pretty good chunk of revenue to carry them through the summer months. Not only do they lose the daily rental fee, most have concession stands, which is where they make a lot of money throughout an event. Granted, they are probably going to save some money on labor costs, but that is just a small amount when compared with the loss of income that they have been counting on and included in their budgets.

The communities have already seen a massive drop in people eating in restaurants, hotels basically being completely vacant, no concerts, no professional sporting events, etc. The summer recruiting period brings in tons of people and money to the area. Let's say an event has 100 teams with 8 kids per team. That is 800 kids, at least 100 coaches for the teams and let's say an average of 1 person per kid (parent, sibling, etc). That's another 800 people, so you are looking at at least 1,700 people coming into a community, taking up hotel rooms, spending money at restaurants, etc. Not to mention the staff hired for the event, college coaches coming into the area, referees, etc. I know we aren't talking millions of dollars here per event, but when a local community plans on those events year after year, it hurts. And those few teams that may make big orders to Sam's Slammin' Subs on Main St could be the difference in that sub shop surviving this pandemic and not.

And event operators. Yeah, I'm sure many on here know how outlandish some of them are and the costs they charge to teams, college coaches, etc. (that could be its' own thread). But, it is a TON of work and they do provide a pretty great opportunity. They bring together teams from all over a region of the country or even nationally to play against each other in the same area allowing for college coaches to view a ton of kids at once. It also affords Susie from Friendship, WI, who averages 26 pts and 15 rebs per game in HS, to challenge herself by playing with and against better players. Not to mention coaches get to see her in a setting with better players as well.

On the plus side, families will definitely be saving thousands of dollars this summer that they would have had in travel expenses, attendance, food, lodging, etc.

Anyway, is there a way to hit the reset button on 2020?


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10546



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/20 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good post ... the impact of the loss of summer basketball is much greater than we think, and then multiply that by the loss of summer youth activities for all sports.

As for recovery, some things to think about:

1) If airlines go broke, there will be fewer and presumably more expensive flights, which could increase the cost of getting to big-time events.

2) Parents, sponsors, clubs, etc., are all going to be seriously affected by the economic downturn, and there very likely will be less disposable income to spend on travel.

3) Some multi-court facilities will not reopen, limiting potential sites for events.

It seems to me that in the short run, at least, we're going to see a much more regional focus for club teams, and it will be up to the college coaches to travel more, not the teams. It's also possible that there will be a small shift in the direction of more high school coverage for college coaches.

From my limited perspective, this doesn't seem all that bad. There was little reason, as far as I could tell, for California club teams to fly to the Midwest or back east to play in tournaments since very few players wound up in college in those areas, and though I have nothing against club ball, I'm a high school coach and I wouldn't mind seeing more emphasis on high school games.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin