Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/21/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://liberty.wnba.com/news/new-york-liberty-2020-season-preview/

Quote:
The ‘New’ in New York Liberty carries greater meaning heading into the 2020 season. It is a year full of ‘new’ for the Liberty, including a new arena, coaching staff, logo, jersey sponsor and six rookies added to the roster. The franchise will enter its 24th season with a ton of newness and the hope that it translates onto the hardwood.

I don’t remember seeing this on the 17th, and I check the Libs site every day haha

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/21/20 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
https://liberty.wnba.com/news/new-york-liberty-2020-season-preview/

Quote:
The ‘New’ in New York Liberty carries greater meaning heading into the 2020 season. It is a year full of ‘new’ for the Liberty, including a new arena, coaching staff, logo, jersey sponsor and six rookies added to the roster. The franchise will enter its 24th season with a ton of newness and the hope that it translates onto the hardwood.

I don’t remember seeing this on the 17th, and I check the Libs site every day haha

I always find p.r. to be hilarious. I guess they forgot to say: "It is a year full of 'new' for the Liberty, including a new arena, coaching staff, logo, jersey sponsor, six rookies added to the roster, and the fact that we may not have a WNBA season in 2020." Sad

PostPosted: 05/22/20 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coming in October for you old school fans

https://www.amazon.com/Havin-Ball-Improbable-Basketball-Journey/dp/1496212827/

PostPosted: 05/22/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty

Quote:
"As I was playing beach volleyball, it's a two-person sport, and a lot of times I was the older player who thought more strategically, so I was the one coming up with the game plans because you basically coach yourself," Raimon said. "And so that's kind of when I started realizing, 'Wow, I'm kind of good at this and it's something that I enjoy.'"

Quote:
"She's a really eager learner," Hopkins said. "She brings such a good energy to the group, in terms of not just her excitement about what we're doing and where we're going, but also her level of preparedness, and her ability to catch onto things really quickly has been really fun to watch. … She is just like a sponge. I mean, it's been really impressive."

Hopkins hopes that those won't be the only things that'll carry over from her previous experiences.

"Obviously, her experience with winning cultures is huge," Hopkins said. "She knows what it takes, and that gives her an additional layer of credibility with the players, on top of having played at a high level at every level she's played."

https://www.startribune.com/uconn-s-kelly-schumacher-raimon-took-a-winding-path-to-a-wnba-coaching-job-with-the-liberty/570686752/

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walt Hopkins held his chalk talk this afternoon. My guess is that they’ll post the video at some point, but for now, here are my takeaways:

1) The main goal of their defensive system is to switch effectively, thereby reducing odd man situations after a screen. The idea is to always stay 5 on 5. Apparently, the coaching staff feels this is best done with mid-sized players.
2) Walt also believes that their approach will force opponents to dribble around more, causing their offense to stagnate.
3) New York can counter opponents' bigger players with aggressive ball denial.
4) Hopkins said that statistics in both the NBA and WNBA show that post-up shots result in low percentages. I guess they are less concerned about post-ups than us fans.
5) When asked about his biggest influences, Walt cited Cheryl Reeve for preparation, Gary Kloppenburg for defense, and his own assistant, Dustin Gray for player development. He also mentioned USC Associate Head Coach Jason Glover.
6) In terms of offense, Hopkins pointed to Seattle and Washington as teams that are able to use multiple shooters to spread the floor. He feels the whole league is moving in this direction.
7) Hopkins believes that everybody on his team can play at least two positions.
8 ) While a shortened training camp may make things more difficult, Walt thinks that his system is relatively easy to teach so it won’t hurt the Liberty as much.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess there were no hints on his final 12?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Walt Hopkins held his chalk talk this afternoon. My guess is that they’ll post the video at some point, but for now, here are my takeaways:

1) The main goal of their defensive system is to switch effectively, thereby reducing odd man situations after a screen. The idea is to always stay 5 on 5. Apparently, the coaching staff feels this is best done with mid-sized players.
2) Walt also believes that their approach will force opponents to dribble around more, causing their offense to stagnate.
3) New York can counter opponents' bigger players with aggressive ball denial.
4) Hopkins said that statistics in both the NBA and WNBA show that post-up shots result in low percentages. I guess they are less concerned about post-ups than us fans.
5) When asked about his biggest influences, Walt cited Cheryl Reeve for preparation, Gary Kloppenburg for defense, and his own assistant, Dustin Gray for player development. He also mentioned USC Associate Head Coach Jason Glover.
6) In terms of offense, Hopkins pointed to Seattle and Washington as teams that are able to use multiple shooters to spread the floor. He feels the whole league is moving in this direction.
7) Hopkins believes that everybody on his team can play at least two positions.
8 ) While a shortened training camp may make things more difficult, Walt thinks that his system is relatively easy to teach so it won’t hurt the Liberty as much.

This is true 100% , but maybe not a good barometer . Those teams had MVP's .

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I guess there were no hints on his final 12?

He didn't talk about players much except as they applied to the question being asked. For instance, someone asked about a 3-guard offense, and Walt pointed out that using Allen at 4 could be deemed a 4-guard offense. When he discussed people playing multiple positions, I was trying to fix the echo on my system and I didn't hear everyone he mentioned. I do remember Willoughby's name coming up, and he ended by citing Odom, "Ley can play all five positions and she can jump out of the gym."

PostPosted: 05/22/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
"Ley can play all five positions and she can jump out of the gym."

Maybe he should consider being a college coach. Geno treated Gabby the same way.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/22/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
"Ley can play all five positions and she can jump out of the gym."

Maybe he should consider being a college coach. Geno treated Gabby the same way.

This quote makes me believe that Odom might be on the final 12 . Awkward enough , so does this bump out Jaz Jones ?

PostPosted: 05/22/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether or not some parties get offended, I still think one or more of Zahui, Johannes, and Han will be temporarily suspended. It simply doesn’t make sense to cut three players who are here in favor of people who may not be allowed to enter the country.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks root!

I do hope they post the video but I think you summed it up well.

I agree re our foreigners. It’s the unfortunate reality of the world currently.

It’s interesting the low percentages for post up shots statement. I wonder though, about offensive rebounds allowed and putbacks/points in the paint.
Hopefully the defensive pressure we hope to apply is successful in running the shot clock down and leading to wild shots. I do worry about Sabrina or Asia ending up switched on any post player though.
Guess we shall see.

As for Odom, staff have raved even more about Jones. So if they rave about everyone it’s tough to guess who they keep. Going off that it would seem bye bye to Stokes and Gray.
If we roll with...
Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby
Allen/Walker/Odom or Han
Zahui B/Shook
...we had better be pretty perfect with our offensive officiency.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/22/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the chalk talk was there any discussion about training camp, or what things might start to look like come June 1st,

or was it more about the philosophy of what the Liberty is going to look like on the court?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/22/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Thanks root!

I do hope they post the video but I think you summed it up well.

I agree re our foreigners. It’s the unfortunate reality of the world currently.

It’s interesting the low percentages for post up shots statement. I wonder though, about offensive rebounds allowed and putbacks/points in the paint.
Hopefully the defensive pressure we hope to apply is successful in running the shot clock down and leading to wild shots. I do worry about Sabrina or Asia ending up switched on any post player though.
Guess we shall see.

As for Odom, staff have raved even more about Jones. So if they rave about everyone it’s tough to guess who they keep. Going off that it would seem bye bye to Stokes and Gray.
If we roll with...
Ionescu/Clarendon
Durr/Johannes/Jones
Nurse/Willoughby
Allen/Walker/Odom or Han
Zahui B/Shook
...we had better be pretty perfect with our offensive officiency.

I was actually wondering if the new regime might just go all in on the new look and basically try and convince Han to not come over, or basically decide that travel from China is going to be impossible in 2020 anyway and go with the 6 rookies over either Gray and Stokes and be done with it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/22/20 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
In the chalk talk was there any discussion about training camp, or what things might start to look like come June 1st,

or was it more about the philosophy of what the Liberty is going to look like on the court?

No specifics about what is going to happen as far as I can remember. The format was Walt answering questions submitted by fans with their RSVP. No one asked what camp would look like -- at least not from the questions chosen. The only related topic was someone asking if he thought short preparation time would impact the team.

Hopkins started the session by talking about his assistants. Shelley Patterson is in Arizona with Walt, so they must be making plans for some kind of season.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Whether or not some parties get offended, I still think one or more of Zahui, Johannes, and Han will be temporarily suspended. It simply doesn’t make sense to cut three players who are here in favor of people who may not be allowed to enter the country.

Suspending Zahui is a lot different than suspending Han and Johannes. Zahui would be giving up full protected money, while Han and Johannes are not protected, so have less to lose by not showing up. I can't see the Liberty paying Zahui to stay at home if she can actually get in the US. Liberty have tons of cap space, but 12 is 12, even though Richyyy's data shows they could probably pay for 14 or 15.......

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/22/20 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Suspending Zahui is a lot different than suspending Han and Johannes. Zahui would be giving up full protected money, while Han and Johannes are not protected, so have less to lose by not showing up. I can't see the Liberty paying Zahui to stay at home if she can actually get in the US. Liberty have tons of cap space, but 12 is 12, even though Richyyy's data shows they could probably pay for 14 or 15.......

You obviously haven't been reading the whole thread. The point I made a page or two ago is that current travel restrictions prevent Zahui, Johannes, and Han from entering the country -- unless some special arrangements have been made that we don't know about. As for suspended players, they don't get paid whether their contract is guaranteed or not. Remember, suspensions are technically punishment for a violation. Not showing up is breaking the rules -- just like DUI or domestic violence. Obviously, since no one has been asked to show up, nobody has refused to appear. That's why this is a debatable gray area. However, as far as I know, Zahui, Johannes, and Han can't enter the country on May 26th even if asked. This situation is going to be ugly no matter what the team does. But if both the league and the players union are going through the motions of following the CBA, then IMHO temporary suspensions for players who can't enter the country appear to be the most justifiable path.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People do seem to be getting into the country - Cambage for ex, and the Dream signed a Euro player who was seen in Miami.

And rest assured - I do read the entire NY thread, but even I have never been able to memorize 80 some pages of largely redundant posts. Razz Smile

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/23/20 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are ways to deal with switches that result with a guard on a post, including double-teams once the ball is entered, fronting the post with weakside help and ball pressure.

No system is perfect, in basketball or life ...

PostPosted: 05/23/20 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty

Quote:
"As I was playing beach volleyball, it's a two-person sport, and a lot of times I was the older player who thought more strategically, so I was the one coming up with the game plans because you basically coach yourself," Raimon said. "And so that's kind of when I started realizing, 'Wow, I'm kind of good at this and it's something that I enjoy.'"

Quote:
"She's a really eager learner," Hopkins said. "She brings such a good energy to the group, in terms of not just her excitement about what we're doing and where we're going, but also her level of preparedness, and her ability to catch onto things really quickly has been really fun to watch. … She is just like a sponge. I mean, it's been really impressive."

Hopkins hopes that those won't be the only things that'll carry over from her previous experiences.

"Obviously, her experience with winning cultures is huge," Hopkins said. "She knows what it takes, and that gives her an additional layer of credibility with the players, on top of having played at a high level at every level she's played."

https://www.startribune.com/uconn-s-kelly-schumacher-raimon-took-a-winding-path-to-a-wnba-coaching-job-with-the-liberty/570686752/

This article doesn’t say one word about why she is in New York and not still in the same position with the Aces.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no reason for us not to speculate on how travel bans may affect the roster of the Liberty or any professional sports team. In my view, however, there's a piece of the puzzle that hasn't been stated here. Even when the U.S. government or any government has a very set and very public travel ban, there's always the possibility--I'd say the likelihood--that exceptions will be made for those with wealth, power, influence, or celebrity.

Is that true for players for the Liberty or other WNBA teams? I have no idea. But I won't be shocked if it works out that way.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
People do seem to be getting into the country - Cambage for ex, and the Dream signed a Euro player who was seen in Miami.

And rest assured - I do read the entire NY thread, but even I have never been able to memorize 80 some pages of largely redundant posts. Razz Smile

Well, the posts may be redundant but you're still not remembering. Razz I specifically mentioned that there was no ban on Australia. As for the Euro player, who was that? If you're talking about Babkina, she signed in February before the lockdown. Maybe she came over right away.

I did say in my original post that I predict "one or more of Zahui, Johannes, and Han" will be temporarily suspended. That leaves a lot of wiggle room.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

This article doesn’t say one word about why she is in New York and not still in the same position with the Aces.

I had the same reaction. Raimon talks about how great it was to build a winning culture in Las Vegas from the ground up. Then she leaves for a similar position in New York. If it were a promotion, I'd understand. But a lateral move does seem to require an explanation.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well, the posts may be redundant but you're still not remembering. Razz I specifically mentioned that there was no ban on Australia. As for the Euro player, who was that? If you're talking about Babkina, she signed in February before the lockdown. Maybe she came over right away.

I did say in my original post that I predict "one or more of Zahui, Johannes, and Han" will be temporarily suspended. That leaves a lot of wiggle room.

You don't really know what is going on with Bankina any more than I do. I guess the simplest thing is to wait an see who (if any one of the 3) gets suspended or not, or comes over the play games that may or may not happen. But don't worry, if it turns out that Zahui B. comes over and the other don't I'll probably have forgotten about all this and won't post a self congratulatory BOOYAH.....but you are welcome do so if you are right.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/23/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
tfan wrote:

I had the same reaction. Raimon talks about how great it was to build a winning culture in Las Vegas from the ground up. Then she leaves for a similar position in New York. If it were a promotion, I'd understand. But a lateral move does seem to require an explanation.

Feels like it was a trade for coaches. Laimbeer probably wanted Tanisha Wright, so maybe his deal was to send Raimon to New York instead of just letting her go. Just speculation here.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 82 of 111

Jump to: