Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 05/15/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces sign Plum to contract extension.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-re-sign-guard-kelsey-plum/

Quote:
Can report that @Kelseyplum10 got a two-year extension from @LVAces at $175,000, then $180,250. Nice bump up in salary for the multi-talented guard.

"Can report that"...? Those numbers aren't in the article you linked to...Who are you quoting?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/15/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Quote:
Can report that @Kelseyplum10 got a two-year extension from @LVAces at $175,000, then $180,250. Nice bump up in salary for the multi-talented guard.

"Can report that"...? Those numbers aren't in the article you linked to...Who are you quoting?

I could already tell by the wording of it that the quote is from Megdal (link here) lol.

They must've really been sold on her playoff performance. We're all wondering how much that'll carry over into the coming season. I don't see why she can't at the very least be a 10 PPG-5 APG kind of player for this team who can turn up the heat when called upon; that's all they'll seem to need from her now that she'll be surrounded by legit scorers.

Last edited by Stormeo on 05/15/20 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/15/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Quote:

@howardmegdal tweeted that.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/16/20 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So unless the Aces make a trade, they should be the first team to actually be at 12 players. Manis and Warley-Talbert would make the roster then.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces waive Manis & Warley-Talbert, bring back Carolyn Swords. Aces' roster now at 11.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-re-sign-eight-year-wnba-veteran-carolyn-swords/

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/19/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces waive Manis & Warley-Talbert, bring back Carolyn Swords. Aces' roster now at 11.

so this might throw cold water on the Stokes trade idea, on the other hand there is a roster spot for her now. (or anyone who gets waived by June 1st).

Shades

PostPosted: 05/19/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swords is a training camp contract, so maybe she’ll still get cut if a more attractive big becomes available.

They should be in the market for another PF.

McCall is out there now if they aren’t fussy.

But I sense that maybe they’ll trade a 2021 third rounder for somebody who’s about to be cut from another team to keep them from going through the waiver process, since the Aces are near the bottom in waiver priority list.

DAL, LAS, and NYL would be good candidates for a deal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

My interpretation of this is, adding Swords to the roster is a move that simply keeps them at the 11-player-minimum threshold, as I'm not sure teams are allowed to carry less than 11 at this point. They probably knew Warley-Talbert and Manis were just there for training camp, so they cut them loose now to give them (or at least Warley-Talbert) a sliver of a chance of getting picked up elsewhere (and humanely not give them false hope of making this roster). There will be better options to come in the next week and a half, so I'm guessing Swords will be waived by the June 1st 'deadline' and be back at her role within the front office.

I mean, surely they aren't giving Swords another chance out of any sort of desperation... right?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think the Aces should wait until Mompremier is cut by the Sparks and grab her.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/20 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any of the post players taken in the second-round could end up being available: Shook, Brewer, Holmes, Mompremier, Gillespie of the third-round. And then there are the post players with experience who could be cut: R. Gray, Hines-Allen, Gustafson, amongst plenty of others. The Aces should have at least a couple options come by them on the waiver wire once those moves start happening...

Randy

PostPosted: 05/19/20 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Any of the post players taken in the second-round could end up being available: Shook, Brewer, Holmes, Mompremier, Gillespie of the third-round. And then there are the post players with experience who could be cut: R. Gray, Hines-Allen, Gustafson, amongst plenty of others. The Aces should have at least a couple options come by them on the waiver wire once those moves start happening...

The best part is that teams won't have to wait for a waiver wire player to get across the country to their city. Everybody will likely be in one place.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/20/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

curious if people who actually watched any of those 2nd round or third round posts truly thought they could/would make a team. I didn't see a lot of most of them but what I did see didn't inspire me all that much... so the whole waiver wire thing kinda just amuses me. But I guess it gives us something to talk about.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/26/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Of this list: Holmes, Mompremier, and R. Gray are available for being picked up by the Aces (or anyone else). Although the Aces can afford to have 12 players, they went with 11 for most of last season by choice so like I've said before, it could happen again this season. The Swords move still strikes me as odd...

toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/20 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces might actually wait until we know if there will be a season before signing a 12th player.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aces might actually wait until we know if there will be a season before signing a 12th player.

If there’s a player out there that they like, do you really think they’re going to take a chance on waiting?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/20 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If there’s a player out there that they like, do you really think they’re going to take a chance on waiting?

Just seems like they're trying to save money by only keeping 11(which is the minimum required). They could bring in two before the season begins and put Swords back on the coaching bench(or whatever position she was switching to).

Shades

PostPosted: 06/01/20 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby on relationship with Laimbeer, prioritizing motherhood
https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1974371

Quote:
"A lot of it depends on what the NBA does," Hamby told theScore in a phone interview from Las Vegas. "It's 50-50. You can see why we need to play because our league is so fragile and we did such a good job with the momentum last season.

"I don't know how they're going to get it done, but I think they're really pushing for it. And it's going to take a lot of sacrifices on our end."

Let’s do this!

Quote:
At the end of last season, before I signed my contract, I didn't think I'd be back in Las Vegas. I honestly had intentions to sign elsewhere. Then, (Laimbeer) called me in free agency and was like, "Nope, you're coming back." I got the max. No one thought he'd match it, and he matched it and told me I'd be here for a long time, too.

Did he match somebody else’s offer? I wonder which team.
I also wonder how he can keep her a long time under the new CBA. Her contract expires in 2021, but I suppose 3 years can be considered a long time in WNBA terms.

Quote:
. Then they requested that I quarantine because we had played in Milan the previous week and Milan had gone into code red. At the time, they were telling me, "If you leave, you'll go to jail."

My Italian agent said, "You'll be denounced," and I was kind of like, I don't care about that, I want to go home. I have a good reputation, but Italians are very dramatic. Every little thing is times 10. "You'll get denounced and you won't be able to play here again." My agent was saying that, but my coach was like, "If you can leave, Dearica, you should leave."

Quote:
I think that's why I started to grow on him, because I'm kind of the tough one on the team, and he wants us to have that persona. He doesn't say, 'Beat people up,' but (he wants us to) be tough. It's cool because we're in Vegas - Sin City; we could have that persona, but it takes time.

Quote:
It's just me and her, so one downfall is that I'm not really working out right now. There are places where you can go, but I also have a kid to think about. I'm trying to not put myself in danger for her and my mom's sake. So, I haven't really been able to work out. I'm not going to bring Amaya into a filthy gym. That is not happening.

Quote:
I know, for me, being a parent comes first, even when I go overseas. I've had discussions with Bill about this. I go to work, I give you my three hours, and I go home and I shut it off. My family comes first to me, before basketball. I prioritize raising my daughter.

Who knows, it could be the downfall of my career. I'm not in the gym as extra as some people probably are, because for me, it's important that I get home to be with my daughter.

This upcoming offseason, I've been offered contracts overseas, and I've been turning them down. (My daughter) is about to start school soon and I want to be able to spend as much time with her as possible. I'm willing to sacrifice some money to be home to be able to enjoy these moments with her.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/11/20 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum to miss 2020 season due to surgery.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/kelsey-plum-undergoes-successful-surgery-on-left-achilles-tendon/

pilight

PostPosted: 06/11/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An Achilles tear might put her out for part of next season too.

PostPosted: 06/11/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the Aces can suspended her and sign two more players? One post and one guard? Does Jackie Young start or D-Rob? Really curious to see who they sign if and when a season begins.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/11/20 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This being the WNBA, they don’t share how she got an Achilles tear, because I guess we’re not considered “real” sports fans.

Laimbeer is looking like a genius now for holding onto Allen.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/11/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if the Aces can suspended her and sign two more players? One post and one guard? Does Jackie Young start or D-Rob? Really curious to see who they sign if and when a season begins.

Even without Plum, Vegas is a top title contender. I can't imagine Laimbeer starting Young over a proven veteran, given how she performed last year.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 06/11/20 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/11/20 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Even without Plum, Vegas is a top title contender. I can't imagine Laimbeer starting Young over a proven veteran, given how she performed last year.

I mean, I didn't think J.Young was great last year either, but it rather depends how you frame it. They won 21 games with her starting basically all season at point guard, where she finished with the 6th-best assist-to-turnover ratio in the league and the 9th-best assist percentage. As a rookie. Playing a difficult position that she didn't play in college. Meanwhile Allen's a career backup and Robinson hasn't been genuinely good since about 2014.

The problem is more the loss of Plum's perimeter shooting than anything. They've got so few players who teams will respect at all from three-point range (it's basically McBride. End of list). Even when your bigs are really, really good, it's really, really hard to build your team around them when there's no outside threat to stretch the floor. Teams are gonna have five defenders with a foot in the paint against them.

PostPosted: 06/11/20 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I mean, I didn't think J.Young was great last year either, but it rather depends how you frame it. They won 21 games with her starting basically all season at point guard, where she finished with the 6th-best assist-to-turnover ratio in the league and the 9th-best assist percentage. As a rookie. Playing a difficult position that she didn't play in college. Meanwhile Allen's a career backup and Robinson hasn't been genuinely good since about 2014.

The problem is more the loss of Plum's perimeter shooting than anything. They've got so few players who teams will respect at all from three-point range (it's basically McBride. End of list). Even when your bigs are really, really good, it's really, really hard to build your team around them when there's no outside threat to stretch the floor. Teams are gonna have five defenders with a foot in the paint against them.

Which makes you wonder about Sugar Rodgers who barely got off the bench last season. Who else could they bring in if Plum gets "temporarly suspended"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: