RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I wonder how the WNBA owners feel about having a season. Without gate receipts it would seem like a money loser (or bigger money loser) for the teams and the league offices (if they are involved in making/losing money from the league). But playing does keep interest in the league at a higher level. Skipping a season could cause some amount of fans to lose interest and not come back. But there could be some of that from not being able to attend games in a spectator-free season.

I think they'll get bigger TV ratings which could result in a bigger TV deal down the road. Also, it could lead to more sponsors. Team owners won't have to worry about the rent in their own arena unless that specific team is chosen as the "bubble" location.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 05/19/20 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
tfan wrote:
I wonder how the WNBA owners feel about having a season. Without gate receipts it would seem like a money loser (or bigger money loser) for the teams and the league offices (if they are involved in making/losing money from the league). But playing does keep interest in the league at a higher level. Skipping a season could cause some amount of fans to lose interest and not come back. But there could be some of that from not being able to attend games in a spectator-free season.

I think they'll get bigger TV ratings which could result in a bigger TV deal down the road. Also, it could lead to more sponsors. Team owners won't have to worry about the rent in their own arena unless that specific team is chosen as the "bubble" location.

Other expenses may be less as well. No air travel, and hotel rooms for the season can probably be had at a deep discount. No apartment rentals either.

I would say, however, that if the NBA doesn't play, there seems to be no reason to think the WNBA would do either. Further, if all the sports come back at once there will suddenly be a lot of competition for fans' eyeballs.

It does seem to me that with MLB getting almost ready to come back some announcement should be made soon.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/19/20 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Other expenses may be less as well. No air travel, and hotel rooms for the season can probably be had at a deep discount. No apartment rentals either.

Don't forget normal arena rental costs, and even if you own the facility it's expensive to open. Teams have to pay staff, and I'm sure the energy bill is enormous. However, if the games have no attendance, then they can be played in a much cheaper venue like a nice practice facility or a small college gym. Think of it as a TV show. The court is merely a sound stage.

PostPosted: 05/19/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:

Don't forget normal arena rental costs, and even if you own the facility it's expensive to open. Teams have to pay staff, and I'm sure the energy bill is enormous. However, if the games have no attendance, then they can be played in a much cheaper venue like a nice practice facility or a small college gym. Think of it as a TV show. The court is merely a sound stage.

The ultimate question is not will they lose money - it is will they lose less if they play games and get the TV revenue, but no box office, or if they don't play at all. A lot of that comes down to whether the players would get paid for this season games or no games. That is something that as far as we know was left completely up in air in the CBA, as has been discussed a number of times.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I would say, however, that if the NBA doesn't play, there seems to be no reason to think the WNBA would do either. Further, if all the sports come back at once there will suddenly be a lot of competition for fans' eyeballs.

It does seem to me that with MLB getting almost ready to come back some announcement should be made soon.

It would still be easier for the WNBA to play this summer than the NBA as the WNBA only has 12 teams and shorter rosters. Just comes down to the W has fewer people to keep isolated.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It would still be easier for the WNBA to play this summer than the NBA as the WNBA only has 12 teams and shorter rosters. Just comes down to the W has fewer people to keep isolated.

It's not really about ease, though - it's about value. The WNBA teams might even save money (at least in the short-term) by not playing at all; the NBA and its owners are going to lose an absolute fortune if they don't find a way to have some kind of 2019-20 postseason.

If it was one or the other, it's the NBA that would be playing.

PostPosted: 05/19/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cathy Engelbert has made it clear that she wants some kind of season. Ultimately, the commissioner works for the owners so I have to assume the majority of owners (if not all) want to have a season. If I had to guess, I’d say the major stumbling block is health -- not economics. How do you prevent the players, coaches, and referees from getting Covid19? Do you lock them up in a hotel(s) and let them out only for games, busing them back and forth like prisoners attending trial? (Hey that's also a court!) What happens if someone does contract the virus? Do you isolate just that individual or her whole team? What about opponents? If you want the rest of the league to continue playing, but a team or two is now missing, then you have to make up a new schedule. And down the road, you’d have to extend the season so that quarantined teams can make up for lost games. As you can see, before we get to economics or product quality (silent fan-less games will be less exciting), the health angle is already a huge challenge.

PostPosted: 05/19/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think that most of the players want to get back to work (like most of Americans). I'm sure most players can't afford to lose a season's paycheck.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/19/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I also think that most of the players want to get back to work (like most of Americans). I'm sure most players can't afford to lose a season's paycheck.

Especially with the overseas season still in doubt

PostPosted: 05/19/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think any player can go a full year without a paycheck of some kind.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/19/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they already said paychecks june 1 for WNBA

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
they already said paychecks june 1 for WNBA

That's for now, but if they decide to cancel the season by the end of June, I doubt anyone will continue to get paid.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/19/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

At least Euroleague is signing American players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Doug Feinberg, teams must be down to 12 players by May 26. Those 12 players will start getting paid by June 1.

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1262916830919823366

Quote:
AP Source: WNBA teams have to get roster down to 12 by May 26 so players can get paid on June 1. Players cut between now and next Tuesday will get benefits until June 30. League and union still working on a lot of logistics including how much and how often players get paid.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/20 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Per Doug Feinberg, teams must be down to 12 players by May 26. Those 12 players will start getting paid by June 1.

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1262916830919823366

Quote:
AP Source: WNBA teams have to get roster down to 12 by May 26 so players can get paid on June 1. Players cut between now and next Tuesday will get benefits until June 30. League and union still working on a lot of logistics including how much and how often players get paid.

Yeesh. Looks like this week's gonna be a bloodbath of cuts. All those players that won't have even gotten a real chance... it really sucks. On the other hand, it's gonna be an exciting time for all of us tracking these moves and getting a clearer idea of what our teams will look like.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/20/20 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A question: How many players "came out of nowhere" to make a team in the past couple years?

I'm sure there are a few, but have any had an impact on the league?

PostPosted: 05/20/20 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
A question: How many players "came out of nowhere" to make a team in the past couple years?

What counts as 'nowhere'? 11 of last year's 12 second-round picks played at least some minutes in the league last season (plus a couple of third-rounders on top). 'Impact on the league' is a pretty tough metric for players at that level who are just trying to make a team and hang around in the first year or two.

I generally agree that most of these cuts aren't particularly difficult for the teams, but it's still tough on the players involved. This is their chance to show what they can do and at least put themselves in the minds of coaches for later in the season or future tryouts. Now they're just getting cast aside without even being able to test themselves.

PostPosted: 05/20/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

What counts as 'nowhere'? 11 of last year's 12 second-round picks played at least some minutes in the league last season (plus a couple of third-rounders on top). 'Impact on the league' is a pretty tough metric for players at that level who are just trying to make a team and hang around in the first year or two.

I generally agree that most of these cuts aren't particularly difficult for the teams, but it's still tough on the players involved. This is their chance to show what they can do and at least put themselves in the minds of coaches for later in the season or future tryouts. Now they're just getting cast aside without even being able to test themselves.

I agree that it is a shame that the players miss the opportunity -- and my standard should have been clear. I would say a third-round pick or camp invite for a player under 23 making a roster would count as "coming out of nowhere", or something along those lines.

PostPosted: 05/20/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is this a sign they are getting ready to start playing, or just that the W figured out they couldn't get out of paying the players so now they are just trying to keep costs down, but cutting players that would not make it anyway?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/20/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting cut down battles

Atl
I got 9 in so
2 of Jones, Dietrick, Cazorla, Pivec
1 of Brewer or Coates

Conn
1 spot for K. Charles, Huff, Gemelos, Landrum, Gwathmey

Indy
1 spot between Allemand and Doyle

NY
If all the Internationals show or are eligible for the final 12
3 spots left for Stokes, Han Xu, Shook, Odom, Jones, Gray

Dallas
2 spots for Gustafson, Anigwe, Mabrey, Kar. Samuelson, Bertsch

LV
only has 11 and can afford 12
so trade? waiver wire?

LA
if I understand the cap sheet from Richyyy they have to choose Gulich over Mompremier as the 12th because Gulich's salary is 57K while Mompremier is 59,750 and that extra 2, 750 would put LA over the cap.

Minn
is done unless
Sims is ready to go at the beginning of the season rather than on Maternity leave in which case someone has to go probably between Alexander, Zandalasini or Dangerfield unless they can afford to pay off Johnson or Christmas' guaranteed contract.

PX
2 spots for Epoupa, Coffey, Cunningham, Johnson, Cooper, Blicavs,

I think Wash, Chi and Seattle are done barring something really unexpected

toad455

PostPosted: 05/20/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA announced they'll have guidelines in place by June 1 for players to return and hope to start-up by July. No mention of the WNBA. NBA is eyeing both Orlando & Las Vegas.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29200984/nba-teams-expecting-guidelines-june-1-players-return

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/20/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The NBA announced they'll have guidelines in place by June 1 for players to return and hope to start-up by July. No mention of the WNBA. NBA is eyeing both Orlando & Las Vegas.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29200984/nba-teams-expecting-guidelines-june-1-players-return

It might be to the NBA/WNBA's advantage to have the same bubble locations. Both cost and in keeping everyone healthy.

There would be more players, but you would limit a lot of things too (amount of support staff needed, hotels in different areas..etc..)

PostPosted: 05/20/20 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It might be to the NBA/WNBA's advantage to have the same bubble locations. Both cost and in keeping everyone healthy.

There would be more players, but you would limit a lot of things too (amount of support staff needed, hotels in different areas..etc..)

I thought the same thing, but everything I've heard seems to lean more towards the 'NBA is taking that place, so the WNBA will have to find somewhere else' angle. I'd have thought it could simplify a bunch of things, and even make a positive statement of "we see both leagues as a similar level of importance" but apparently not. Maybe the NBA just feels it has bigger issues to worry about right now and doesn't want to waste its time worrying about the W as well.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2020/05/22/wnba-cathy-engelbert-podcast/

Randy

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fascinating story about sports (and life) during the 1918 flu. The picture is from a Georgia Tech football game. Could give some perspective to current sports issues.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/captivating-photo-georgia-tech-from-1918-and-the-story-behind/XOukYT9082wGyHDyP27XVL/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_1240492

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: