RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

now for something completely different: iTunes alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 05/17/20 7:08 am    ::: now for something completely different: iTunes alternative? Reply Reply with quote

i'm an entrenched mac person, though the more years that pass since steve jobs left us, the more unhappy i am with apple's direction. case in point: itunes, which served so many faithfully and now holds us captive for managing our music and allowing us to customize what we put on our various i-devices (when our total music library is too large).

not only has apple abandoned itunes - which i consider tantamount to microsoft abandoning word - but what's left of it is seriously whack. sometimes i look at my phone and see that the cd/playlist art has magically changed, with some playlists showing the same art. then it changes back to normal just as mysteriously. not to mention nefarious things going on behind the scenes, like music i've imported disappearing. then there are other "features" that simply don't work.

i'm at the point where it makes me nervous to use itunes to "sync" my phone, my ipad and my old, old, beloved ipod nano.

so. the hunt is on for the best itunes alternative. one that is mac-friendly.

i like spotify, though i really don't use it, but i have no idea what its capabilities are in terms of managing a personal music library, imported music and what i want to add to my i-devices.

i also have iMazing, which seems to be robust, but i haven't put it through its paces as a music manager because i was still relying on itunes.

what alternatives should i be exploring? thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I use AirMore to transfer music from my PC to my iPhone, and it has a lot of other functions too that I haven't fully explored. It's upside is that it's not iTunes and it let's me play music, and the downside is that the phone interface for music isn't that great. I've been using DocsToGo for documents so I've never tried AirMore for that. Then I use Utiful to sort and store photos on my phone because it works way better for than the native iPhone photos app.

That's a lot of cobbling together simply because iTunes sucks. I miss my old Blackberry's whose native apps just plain worked.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny... I'm not having any problems with iTunes. I use it more for video than music though.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
sambista

PostPosted: 05/17/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Funny... I'm not having any problems with iTunes. I use it more for video than music though.

itunes will be gone as of catalina, which is out now, replaced by three independent apps, as i understand.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

itunes will be gone as of catalina, which is out now, replaced by three independent apps, as i understand.

Is Apple continuing with iTunes for PC, or are the new apps supposed to work on PC too?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/17/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. I don't know if I can offer much.

I'm sure you know most of this.

So I'm already running Catalina on my Mac Book Pro. I think I just had an update within the last few days but I believe Catalina was already the OS for a while. I don't pay that much attention any more. But as far as syncing across Apple devices, that all happens automatically and instantly now. At least on later products, and has for years.

Spotify is wonderful. But it doesn't, as far as I know, provide access to your own music files. But it is really really worth the money. It's easy to make playlists. It's rare shit that I have found not to be on Spotify. It's just very convenient and no hassle and essential at this point.

However, I am like you. And there is nothing that can ever even come close to the deep emotional bond I have with my own accumulated music files. So that is like going home and I have spent a lot of time and effort making sure I was able to get back to the place I wanted to be in terms of accessing my own 50 gigs of mp3 files.

This is where any help I could offer must end, however. Because I despised iTunes and never found on any Apple platform anything that was usable for me or remotely made me happy or replaced in any way shape or form WinAmp, the Windows application that allowed me to enjoy my music for almost two decades on PCs.

As I switched to Macs as my main computers I lost all my joy for my mp3s. They were on the Macs' hard drives, but were as inscrutable as anything to me. It was murder.

And other things as well being on a Mac. So I went back to a desktop PC for a number of years. I bbought this Macbook Pro which, as you can see, has the problem with the keyboard that often doubbles up on the letter 'b.' I ain't faking there.

So, because of the short strike and errors on the keyboard and all the other issues on the MacBook Pro, which is a god dammed supercomputer otherwise, and I use it all the time for photos, I just recently copped a new Thinkpad X1 Carbon which has all the internals that the MacBook Pro has, and more, with the exception of a graphics card.

Anyway. Here's the deal. So WinAmp, the computer program that has made me happier in my life than any other, went by the wayside. For almost a decade. I still had it on an old PC for most of the aughts but that PC was dying. Then some guys resurrected it and updated it for later versions of Windows. So it's back. Unofficially, but it's back.

So I have WinAmp now. And, the greatest thing about WinAmp is how you make your playlists. I go through my windows folders of music, which are like old familiar friends, right click on a song to get a context menu, and there is the magic button to paradise, Enqueue in Winamp. Bam. I'm off like it's 2004.

I wish this was available for a Mac. You'd love it. It's so uncomplicated. And it gives you such a personal connection to your own, often hard to find, music. Anyway.

Apple is a strange company. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i loved itunes as a true music manager, and that was pretty much it. i never cared for the "store." but if i simply played a music file, it became part of my music library, and i could tweak what it was called and whether it was part of a playlist, and whether playlists were part of a folder and all that, or not. if not, itunes managed it for me. and syncing was an extension of that, adding new playlists to my i-devices.

that's what i need. a manager of my music inventory.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
sambista wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

Is Apple continuing with iTunes for PC, or are the new apps supposed to work on PC too?

sorry - i'm unaware of what's going on in the pc world.

PostPosted: 05/17/20 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
sambista wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

Hmm, it looks like iTunes is still the default for PC. Yay.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210384

Richard 77

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
sambista wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
sambista wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

Hmm, it looks like iTunes is still the default for PC. Yay.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210384

My PC is still running iTunes. My phone has the aforementioned three independent apps, as does my iPad. However, my iPad is old, so it only has the music and book app. The third is still the plain video app, not the Apple TV app. Though my iPad still gets regular OS updates, it does not update the video app, which I suspect it wont, being old. But as long as all three devices are running the content I put in as well as bought from the iTunes store, I'm okay. When things start breaking down, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/20 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Well. I don't know if I can offer much.

I'm sure you know most of this.

So I'm already running Catalina on my Mac Book Pro. I think I just had an update within the last few days but I believe Catalina was already the OS for a while. I don't pay that much attention any more. But as far as syncing across Apple devices, that all happens automatically and instantly now. At least on later products, and has for years.

Spotify is wonderful. But it doesn't, as far as I know, provide access to your own music files. But it is really really worth the money. It's easy to make playlists. It's rare shit that I have found not to be on Spotify. It's just very convenient and no hassle and essential at this point.

However, I am like you. And there is nothing that can ever even come close to the deep emotional bond I have with my own accumulated music files. So that is like going home and I have spent a lot of time and effort making sure I was able to get back to the place I wanted to be in terms of accessing my own 50 gigs of mp3 files.

This is where any help I could offer must end, however. Because I despised iTunes and never found on any Apple platform anything that was usable for me or remotely made me happy or replaced in any way shape or form WinAmp, the Windows application that allowed me to enjoy my music for almost two decades on PCs.

As I switched to Macs as my main computers I lost all my joy for my mp3s. They were on the Macs' hard drives, but were as inscrutable as anything to me. It was murder.

And other things as well being on a Mac. So I went back to a desktop PC for a number of years. I bbought this Macbook Pro which, as you can see, has the problem with the keyboard that often doubbles up on the letter 'b.' I ain't faking there.

So, because of the short strike and errors on the keyboard and all the other issues on the MacBook Pro, which is a god dammed supercomputer otherwise, and I use it all the time for photos, I just recently copped a new Thinkpad X1 Carbon which has all the internals that the MacBook Pro has, and more, with the exception of a graphics card.

Anyway. Here's the deal. So WinAmp, the computer program that has made me happier in my life than any other, went by the wayside. For almost a decade. I still had it on an old PC for most of the aughts but that PC was dying. Then some guys resurrected it and updated it for later versions of Windows. So it's back. Unofficially, but it's back.

So I have WinAmp now. And, the greatest thing about WinAmp is how you make your playlists. I go through my windows folders of music, which are like old familiar friends, right click on a song to get a context menu, and there is the magic button to paradise, Enqueue in Winamp. Bam. I'm off like it's 2004.

I wish this was available for a Mac. You'd love it. It's so uncomplicated. And it gives you such a personal connection to your own, often hard to find, music. Anyway.

Apple is a strange company. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

For Windows-based music I shifted to MediaMonkey many years ago and have been happy with it. Kinda cool to hear that WinAmp has made a comeback. That's a nice blast from the past.

iTunes was one of my first experiences with the Apple world and I disliked everything about how it worked. It was fairly influential in my having an Apple-free life to date. If it is history then I'll need to re-open my mind.

PostPosted: 05/18/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
i loved itunes as a true music manager, and that was pretty much it. i never cared for the "store." but if i simply played a music file, it became part of my music library, and i could tweak what it was called and whether it was part of a playlist, and whether playlists were part of a folder and all that, or not. if not, itunes managed it for me. and syncing was an extension of that, adding new playlists to my i-devices.

Bibb, you might like VLC media player...it's free & open source, I've used it for years on various Apple machines. I currently have it on a Chromebook & Android phone as well as this now 12 year old iMac. Desktop version here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

iOS version is here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

sambista

PostPosted: 05/19/20 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
sambista wrote:

Bibb, you might like VLC media player...it's free & open source, I've used it for years on various Apple machines. I currently have it on a Chromebook & Android phone as well as this now 12 year old iMac. Desktop version here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

iOS version is here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

i do have vlc, stever, and use it all the time for playing video (hate quicktime). but, like most open-source fare, it's more geeky than i wanna be in retirement and very low on user guidance. but also, it doesn't look like something i can, say, sync one customized selection of music to my phone and sync another customized selection to my ipad or nano, and have the app keep tabs on all of it. at least on its face. am i wrong?

that's how itunes spoiled me over the years. no matter what i-device i plugged in to my laptop, it knew what parts of my music library were on that device, so i could make new choices accordingly. to say nothing of syncing my contacts, photos and videos.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: