RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cleveland and Portland opened up NBA team facilities today.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
scrappy

PostPosted: 05/08/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That's a little surprising, though NBA players make so much money that they shouldn't be in dire need of paychecks for the rest of the season. Unless their teams are really contenders may not have much to play for.

they also blow away money faster than the u.s. government.

PostPosted: 05/08/20 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Randy wrote:
That's a little surprising, though NBA players make so much money that they shouldn't be in dire need of paychecks for the rest of the season. Unless their teams are really contenders may not have much to play for.

they also blow away money faster than the u.s. government.

Can't they make money doing Instagram broadcasts while they are getting drunk?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/09/20 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky owner hopeful to salvage 2020 season.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/5/9/21249809/sky-owner-hopeful-wnba-will-salvage-2020-season-but-at-least-one-player-thinks-its-not-worth-risk

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/09/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Sky owner hopeful to salvage 2020 season.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/5/9/21249809/sky-owner-hopeful-wnba-will-salvage-2020-season-but-at-least-one-player-thinks-its-not-worth-risk

We're all hopeful, but the next month or so while many areas across the country are doing some form of re-openings should be very telling of how the summer - and perhaps the rest of the year - is gonna play itself out as it relates to sports operations (amongst other things). And probably not in a good way, considering how the national curve isn't even flattening, let alone decreasing. The questions keep mounding while the answers stay dwindling.

As for the players, good on Jantel Lavender for not being afraid to voice her concerns (and not doing it anonymously, at that). I have to wonder how prevalent this sentiment is amongst the rest of the League's players about not wanting to even try to play until a vaccine exists.

Last edited by Stormeo on 05/09/20 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I have to wonder how big this idea is amongst the League's players about not wanting to even try to play until a vaccine exists.

That'll be the end of the league. A vaccine is probably years away.

PostPosted: 05/09/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

As for the players, good on Jantel Lavender for not being afraid to voice her concerns (and not doing it anonymously, at that). I have to wonder how prevalent this sentiment is amongst the rest of the League's players about not wanting to even try to play until a vaccine exists.

Why have an opinion before you see the plan? Like I told calbearman, it’s not going to be doable under old norms, which is probably what Lavender is thinking, but what about playing the games in a bubble? Wait to see the plan, THEN have an opinion about it.

If they continue playing NBA and NFL, they damn well better have WNBA. What message would you be sending, the WNBA can’t do it because they’re women? It would be the easiest league to play under a bubble.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/09/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I have to wonder how big this idea is amongst the League's players about not wanting to even try to play until a vaccine exists.

That'll be the end of the league. A vaccine is probably years away.

Every pro sports league would fold if they wait for a vaccine.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/09/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Why have an opinion before you see the plan? Like I told calbearman, it’s not going to be doable under old norms, which is probably what Lavender is thinking, but what about playing the games in a bubble? Wait to see the plan, THEN have an opinion about it.

If they continue playing NBA and NFL, they damn well better have WNBA. What message would you be sending, the WNBA can’t do it because they’re women? It would be the easiest league to play under a bubble.

In the article, she explicitly mentions the one-location idea as what she has reservations of - which is all but the only way a season is remotely feasible at this time. But she also understands that attempting to have a season rather than not makes sense from a financial perspective. What she didn't explicitly say is that she would sit out a season if it were to happen, so it's safe to say that everyone wants to be able to have options, generally speaking.

As for sports leagues in this country, no league is starting up again without constant on-the-spot testing for its players & staff, and being able to get instant results. Full stop. That's really what it'll come down to, in order for a league to re-open and stay open. It may be the easiest for a league like the W, but it'll be a large hurdle to jump for every league. It's way too early to speculate on the potential of an open-NBA-closed-WNBA scenario imo, but to each his own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/09/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as i would like for the W to return, after listening to Adam Silvers' remarks about the NBA facing financial hardship due to the shutdown, I cannot see them forking over any additional funds to help support the league.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/10/20 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I agree with you on this one. If Lavendar or others don't want to play unless there is a vaccine they can sit out. But i think there may well be a way to play that is generally safe for players. Even if the WNBA is not first out of the gate (for the reasons I stated before) I do believe that if the NBA can set up a workable system the WNBA should be right behind them. And as you have said, in many ways due to the size of the league it could be easier.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/15/20 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/77b8ca866f79bd4e91ff1ab917be6116

Teams may have to cut down to 12 players by June 1.

Quote:
Despite the challenges, the commissioner is optimistic “”we can have a season this summer.”

Quote:
Engelbert said while the WNBA is in constant contact with the NBA and shares many resources including medical experts, it was unlikely that the two leagues would play in the same city and venues.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/15/20 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://apnews.com/77b8ca866f79bd4e91ff1ab917be6116

Teams may have to cut down to 12 players by June 1.

Quote:
Despite the challenges, the commissioner is optimistic “we can have a season this summer.”

Quote:
Engelbert said while the WNBA is in constant contact with the NBA and shares many resources including medical experts, it was unlikely that the two leagues would play in the same city and venues.

Even if that city was Vegas with multiple arenas? I don't see why they don't just literally follow where the NBA goes, given the already-shared resources.

In terms of teams likely having to get their rosters down to 12 before June 1 without a training camp having been held, that's of course wildly unfair but also wildly interesting for some teams where multiple spots are wide open. Decisions, decisions. And it might put some extra pressure on international players on having to make a decision to make the trek into the states or not. Add in players that may be considering sitting out the season if they don't feel safe enough, the next couple weeks look to be more interesting than I thought they'd be. Arrow

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/15/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For most teams I really don't think it'd be that hard to get down to 12. Most can cut at least a couple off their 15 immediately by getting rid of rookies who were complete long-shots to start with. Then some international players will probably drop out once they face the actual reality of having to leave their own country to go to the US and face whatever protocols would be required (assuming the US would let them in at all).

It's unfortunate for the players who wouldn't even get a brief shot at impressing coaches, but most years we have a strong idea of at least 10 of the players who'll make each roster before any of the camps even open.

PostPosted: 05/16/20 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose some of these fringe players (such as 2nd- and especially 3rd-round picks) can ask to be suspended the whole season so that they get even a semblance of a shot in 2021. Too, maybe it's something coaches/GMs want and would agree to, if they actually value these players and want to be able to give 'em a chance before cutting them loose.

It won't make a difference in the long run, but if that becomes the case, it'd be interesting to see what the 'waiver wire' looks like. We've all suspected that a team like Vegas would be relying on good waiver wire options. If all these teams suspend their fringe players to get down to 12, thus still retaining their rights, that could theoretically throw a wrench into those plans. Razz

toad455

PostPosted: 05/16/20 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For most teams I really don't think it'd be that hard to get down to 12. Most can cut at least a couple off their 15 immediately by getting rid of rookies who were complete long-shots to start with. Then some international players will probably drop out once they face the actual reality of having to leave their own country to go to the US and face whatever protocols would be required (assuming the US would let them in at all).

It's unfortunate for the players who wouldn't even get a brief shot at impressing coaches, but most years we have a strong idea of at least 10 of the players who'll make each roster before any of the camps even open.

I do wonder for a team with a bunch of foreigners how that'll work out. With New York, if Han, Zahui B & Johannes are all apart of their final 12, but then once the season starts can't make it over, it does create a wrench in their plans. Sure, they can sign players off of waivers to fill however many spots, but it is a rather bizarre situation. If they end up playing at one site, how would this work in bringing in a player mid-season?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On CNN earlier today, Wolf Blitzer had Ted Leonsis on. When asked if he thinks the Leagues of the teams he owns (explicitly mentioning the NBA, NHL, and WNBA) will start up again "this year", Leonsis seemed pretty confident that they all would. He thinks that teams in at least the NBA and NHL would be split off into 4-5 different 'bubbles' aka sites to finish out the season, with of course daily testing and no fans permitted. Of course he offered no specifics about the WNBA. Rolling Eyes He did mention his Mystics having to celebrate their title virtually since they can't do their parade, but his reception was sort of shoddy during the whole interview so it was hard to hear some parts. He didn't float out a timeline for anything, but I thought his confidence that all three leagues will re-open 'sometime this year' was worth mentioning in a post.

And with the W paying its players on June 1st (presumably like normal?), things just seem to be going in the direction of at least a whole-hearted attempt to have a season. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what in particular would make these sports leagues reverse course and go in the opposite direction of re-opening, seeing as almost all the states are at least partially re-opening in the next couple weeks despite the virus numbers continuing to rise. Confused

toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Governor Cuomo said during his press conference today that New York sports teams can start planning on reopening without fans. I wonder if Brooklyn would be eyed as a site if they are still looking at a bubble site? Or could Brooklyn and Mohegan Sun be a possible duo-site?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/18/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Governor Cuomo said during his press conference today that New York sports teams can start planning on reopening without fans. I wonder if Brooklyn would be eyed as a site if they are still looking at a bubble site? Or could Brooklyn and Mohegan Sun be a possible duo-site?

I've been hearing for years that Mohegan Sun is in the middle of nowhere, so that seems like the perfect place for the WNBA bubble.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I've been hearing for years that Mohegan Sun is in the middle of nowhere, so that seems like the perfect place for the WNBA bubble.

it is, but I think it's been mentioned that the issue with Mohegan Sun is that they only have their arena as the only available playing court. This probably requires the league to seek another venue, hence my mention of the Barclays. I also wonder if Mohegan Sun is picked if they'd consider the Hartford Civic Center or Gampel Pavillion as a secondary court/venue?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/18/20 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Governor of California announced sports could begin (w/o fans) in that state as well. Seems now the main issue will be getting players to agree to whatever format that takes as well as the important issues of how many games, how much players get paid, housing, travel arrangements to the "bubble" or wherever, etc. Seems that for the WNBA at least one or two locations would make the most sense (assuming any of this makes sense.) It would seem hard to believe the WNBA would play in all 12 cities w/o fans and subject the players to commercial air travel at this time. Not as big of a deal for MLB, NBA, etc because they have private jets, etc.

A big question is what happens if a participant (player, coach, ref, TV crew, scorekeeper, etc) tests positive. My guess is that if it is a player they will be put in quarantine and it will be treated as an injury. If several members of a team test positive then all bets are off I would think.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/18/20 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Governor of California announced sports could begin (w/o fans) in that state as well. Seems now the main issue will be getting players to agree to whatever format that takes as well as the important issues of how many games, how much players get paid, housing, travel arrangements to the "bubble" or wherever, etc. Seems that for the WNBA at least one or two locations would make the most sense (assuming any of this makes sense.) It would seem hard to believe the WNBA would play in all 12 cities w/o fans and subject the players to commercial air travel at this time. Not as big of a deal for MLB, NBA, etc because they have private jets, etc.

A big question is what happens if a participant (player, coach, ref, TV crew, scorekeeper, etc) tests positive. My guess is that if it is a player they will be put in quarantine and it will be treated as an injury. If several members of a team test positive then all bets are off I would think.

But how could exposed individuals stay out of isolation? That's pretty much been the mantra in states/countries where controls are serious. If present protocols are followed, anyone at a team practice, say, with someone who tested positive must be quarantined for 14 days.

To me, that's been the biggest issue all along. Does the team just forfeit all those games?

PostPosted: 05/18/20 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without gate receipts there's just no point in playing all over the place and travelling between venues. You're not getting home crowds anyway, so why waste all that time and energy?

I don't see why Brooklyn would come into the conversation as a playing site. The whole point of places like Vegas, Disney World and even Mohegan is that they've got everything on one site - playing venue, practice facilities, lots of separate housing, dining areas and so on. You'd inevitably be more spaced out in Brooklyn, causing more travel and more exposure, and there's no actual need for a venue the size of Barclays when you're playing without fans anyway. Plus you'd be taking everyone right into one of America's Covid-19 hotspots.

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Without gate receipts there's just no point in playing all over the place and travelling between venues. You're not getting home crowds anyway, so why waste all that time and energy?

I don't see why Brooklyn would come into the conversation as a playing site. The whole point of places like Vegas, Disney World and even Mohegan is that they've got everything on one site - playing venue, practice facilities, lots of separate housing, dining areas and so on. You'd inevitably be more spaced out in Brooklyn, causing more travel and more exposure, and there's no actual need for a venue the size of Barclays when you're playing without fans anyway. Plus you'd be taking everyone right into one of America's Covid-19 hotspots.

Totally agree , playing anywhere in NY right now would be suicidal. I’m down south in Texas where cases are limited and spread out. Most people down here in Dallas still don’t believe covid is real. Everything is practically open with some wearing masks but most are not.

PostPosted: 05/19/20 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how the WNBA owners feel about having a season. Without gate receipts it would seem like a money loser (or bigger money loser) for the teams and the league offices (if they are involved in making/losing money from the league). But playing does keep interest in the league at a higher level. Skipping a season could cause some amount of fans to lose interest and not come back. But there could be some of that from not being able to attend games in a spectator-free season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 12 of 24

Jump to: