RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Blast from the Past

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/15/20 10:49 pm    ::: Blast from the Past Reply Reply with quote

From the Cornfields of Iowa here's a 1989 matchup between Iowa and Drake featuring some recognizable coaches-players who are still shaping the WCBB world today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=67M395D5n_U

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/17/20 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, I'm trying to see the bright side and soak up a little women's hoops history, which is one of my passions.

Cool to see Shanda Barry play, one of the Iowa all-time greats. Obviously this was post-Michelle Edwards.

Who was the Iowa point guard? Not Franthea Price.

Not related to Iowa or Drake, but in the spirit of history, I enjoyed this read today in the WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/45-years-ago-the-first-nationally-televised-womens-college-basketball-game-was-a-blowout/2020/03/16/06f8992e-4ec7-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/19/20 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More Blast from the Past

When They Were Kings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTR3d48yU8

"When they were kings ". Is a retrospective look at the North Dakota State- University of North Dakota division two rivalry from the 80s and 90s. The two sports for which you this rivalry was the most pronounced were football and women's basketball. The above link focuses on The women's basketball programs which accounted for eight of the 10 Division II national championships in the 90s. I believe both coaches, Gene roebuck from UND and Amy Ruley from NDSU are in the women's basketball Hall of Fame.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/21/20 10:19 pm    ::: Re: Blast from the Past Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
From the Cornfields of Iowa here's a 1989 matchup between Iowa and Drake featuring some recognizable coaches-players who are still shaping the WCBB world today.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=67M395D5n_U

Ohhh, those *mullets* of the 80s! Cool

PostPosted: 04/22/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
More Blast from the Past

When They Were Kings.

"When they were kings ". Is a retrospective look at the North Dakota State- University of North Dakota division two rivalry from the 80s and 90s. The two sports for which you this rivalry was the most pronounced were football and women's basketball. The above link focuses on The women's basketball programs which accounted for eight of the 10 Division II national championships in the 90s. I believe both coaches, Gene roebuck from UND and Amy Ruley from NDSU are in the women's basketball Hall of Fame.

What an impressive run those two programs had. I was familiar with each and that string of NCAA titles, but I had no idea it was that many back-to-back-to-back....

I do, however, as a younger person, vividly remember watching the 93 Final against Delta State and the 94 final against Cal Poly Pomona. It was eye opening to see DII programs play at such a high-level. And it makes me feel old now Smile

But more to the point, interesting that as the programs have transitioned to DI and new coaching has come on board, the axis of power in the Dakotas has moved south.

Thanks for sharing! What a great chapter in the history of the women's game. I especially like the line we all know is true. "If you put quality women's basketball on the floor, the fans will come."

So true.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/13/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vanderbilts 1993 road to the final four in Atlanta

Jim Foster was head coach. Deb Patterson and Kami Etheridge Were his assistants.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6J7PV6D1M

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/13/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Jim Foster was head coach. Deb Patterson and Kami Etheridge Were his assistants.

Nice Vid ! Jim foster gave Geno vibes back then .

PostPosted: 05/13/20 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Nice Vid ! Jim foster gave Geno vibes back then .

Philly Feel!

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/13/20 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

This is awesome. Thank you! I wonder if there are other segments, i.e. the actual Final Four where they ran into the Sheryl Swoopes buzzsaw and couldn't score against the Lady Red Raiders. The score in that game was 60-46. The famed Vandy offense came to a halt.

One of the great things about that Vandy team was they were incredibly disciplined, TALL and led the nation in FG%.

I remember that tournament well - and fondly! I particularly remember watching the Louisiana Tech E8 game.

A few observations:
-That Vanderbilt team featured the 6'10 Heidi Gillingham. Not sure she really played after graduation and certainly not in the WNBA. But she was good and was a Kodak All-American that year. Her 6'7 sister Gwen played for UNC and won the championship the following year (albeit in a reserve role)
-Point Guard Rhonda Blades played for the inaugural New York Liberty team as Weatherspoon's back up.
-You'll note a few appearances in this doc by Sheri Sam - she had a limited role as a freshmen in their Final Four season, but would later develop and blossom into an All-American and lead Vanderbilt deep in the tourney her senior year, an E8 loss to UConn in 1996 in Chicago. This team also made Sweet 16 appearances in 1994 and 1995.
-Jim Foster did well with this bigs - his system needed a productive, tall post player and he did that well at Vanderbilt and later Ohio State with Gillingham, Mara Cunningham, Angela Gorsica, Chantelle Anderson, Jessica Davenport and Jantel Lavender.
-Interesting to see young Gary Blair as a head coach at SFA.

Vanderbilt never got back to the Final Four and I often wonder why. SEC was tough to break through - Stanford and the emergence of Duke later in the 90s and early 00's ate into potential recruits and Foster and Vanderbilt mostly played second fiddle to Tennessee and Pat Summitt in both the state and SEC. In the conference in the mid-to-late 90s, you had to deal with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn and later Arkansas and Florida, too. Lots of parity (behind the Vols) for what was then the best women's basketball conference. (Interesting that South Carolina, Kentucky and Mississippi State were really not factors in that era).

Jim Foster is one of the game's great coaches, though note elite, but has those Philly and Geno and Muffet ties and a long winning record.

Anyway, love the history. Thank you for sharing.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/13/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More information regarding Gary Blair. Prior to his entering collegiate coaching he coached girls basketball in Texas and had a star pupil in Debra Rodman. She graduated high school ( only played basketball for one year) the same year Blair became an assistant at LA Tech. She followed hi. There and became a hall of famer.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/13/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
More Blast from the Past

When They Were Kings.

What an impressive run those two programs had. I was familiar with each and that string of NCAA titles, but I had no idea it was that many back-to-back-to-back....

But more to the point, interesting that as the programs have transitioned to DI and new coaching has come on board, the axis of power in the Dakotas has moved south.

I have my perspective on the rise of the Sodak schools. North Dakota State and South Dakota state entered a partnership to transition to division one at the same time. This was mostly based on The two schools being able to join the same FCS football conference as travel partners. Ideally they were looking at the big sky conference. The University of North Dakota opposed NDSUs transition and as an extension the transition of South Dakota State to the next level. As a result, several of their former members in the Division 2 North Central Conference (of which the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota we are also members) refuse to schedule the bison and the jackrabbits during their transition.

At North Dakota State University, establishing football in a reputable FCS conference was priority. I think many Bison fans believed that the women's basketball program would have the easiest transition and in fact be the first to compete in NCAA postseason tourneys once the transition probation period was over. Their course of scheduling during the transition probation was to schedule local regional colleges many of whom were in NAIA and the occasional D3 program

In contrast, South Dakota state, who is going through the same transitional probationary timeline, choose to schedule schools from the big sky conference, The horizon league, the Missouri Valley conference, as well as P5 schools from the Big Ten. It was definitely go big or go home for the jack rabbits. I remember, while they were still in transition, the jackrabbits hosting the women of Troy, Minnesota, and Iowa State. And they were competitive with these teams. Contrast this with the Bison playing Lake Region University, and you see a tale of two visions. SDSU was sending a message to future recruits, that if you come to Brookings South Dakota you're going to get to play in the big leagues. Couple that with the fact, that every Thanksgiving, The school has sent the women's basketball team to places like Puerto Rico or Cancun to compete with top-notch programs, and you've got a recipe for establishing a really good program in a community that really likes and supports its athletes.

A few years later, the University of North Dakota iand the University of South Dakota both decided to transition. They did not transition as partners however as the University of North Dakota did land in the big sky in all sports save for hockey while the University of South Dakota joined North Dakota State in South Dakota State in the Missouri Valley football conference and the summit league conference. I believe that the University of South Dakota actively scheduled big-time programs for the women's basketball team to compete against similar as to how South Dakota state scheduled at the time of their transition. That has allowed those two programs to attract great recruits, great coaches, and great fan bases.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/14/20 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
More information regarding Gary Blair. Prior to his entering collegiate coaching he coached girls basketball in Texas and had a star pupil in Debra Rodman. She graduated high school ( only played basketball for one year) the same year Blair became an assistant at LA Tech. She followed hi. There and became a hall of famer.

And sister Kim Rodman for Stephen F. Austin, but it's hard to find info online about her career. Sounds like Debra was the more decorated Rodman sister.

Gary Blair needs to write a book.

(Ok never mind he has - "A Coaching Life" - worth a read?)

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/17/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Long Beach State vs Tennessee 1987 semifinals

Penny Toler. and Cindy Brown vs. Tonya Edwards, Shelia Frost, Bridgette Gordon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KPDiCBahA

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/24/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vaguely remember Lisa Leslie's collegiate playing days and subsequently, was shocked to learn that USC never made it to the Final a four during her years representing the women of Troy.

The video below is from her final game USC during the 1994 NCAA tournament match up against Leon Barmore, Vicky Johnson and Louisiana Tech. Leslie is not the only female player for US C which also features Nikki McKinnon, Tina Thompson, and Coach Cheryl Miller.this happened after Marianne Stanley how to dispute with Southern Cal.

The video quality isn't great early on but it's still a great matchup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fpIfgkVV-2s

Howee

PostPosted: 06/10/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I finally got to make time for watching these videos. I do believe the ND teams must hold some kind of record for a state's dominance in a particular sport. Certainly, many of those teams could have been top 25 in DI during the 90s.

Also, ironic how the ND schools have not weathered the transition to DI as well as the SD schools. There is clearly an abundance of strong foundational history.

Anyhooo....thank you for the Blasts from The Past. Cool

PostPosted: 06/10/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

This is awesome. Thank you! I wonder if there are other segments, i.e. the actual Final Four where they ran into the Sheryl Swoopes buzzsaw and couldn't score against the Lady Red Raiders. The score in that game was 60-46. The famed Vandy offense came to a halt.

One of the great things about that Vandy team was they were incredibly disciplined, TALL and led the nation in FG%.

I remember that tournament well - and fondly! I particularly remember watching the Louisiana Tech E8 game.

A few observations:
-That Vanderbilt team featured the 6'10 Heidi Gillingham. Not sure she really played after graduation and certainly not in the WNBA. But she was good and was a Kodak All-American that year. Her 6'7 sister Gwen played for UNC and won the championship the following year (albeit in a reserve role)
-Point Guard Rhonda Blades played for the inaugural New York Liberty team as Weatherspoon's back up.
-You'll note a few appearances in this doc by Sheri Sam - she had a limited role as a freshmen in their Final Four season, but would later develop and blossom into an All-American and lead Vanderbilt deep in the tourney her senior year, an E8 loss to UConn in 1996 in Chicago. This team also made Sweet 16 appearances in 1994 and 1995.
-Jim Foster did well with this bigs - his system needed a productive, tall post player and he did that well at Vanderbilt and later Ohio State with Gillingham, Mara Cunningham, Angela Gorsica, Chantelle Anderson, Jessica Davenport and Jantel Lavender.

Vanderbilt never got back to the Final Four and I often wonder why. SEC was tough to break through - Stanford and the emergence of Duke later in the 90s and early 00's ate into potential recruits and Foster and Vanderbilt mostly played second fiddle to Tennessee and Pat Summitt in both the state and SEC. In the conference in the mid-to-late 90s, you had to deal with Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn and later Arkansas and Florida, too. Lots of parity (behind the Vols) for what was then the best women's basketball conference. (Interesting that South Carolina, Kentucky and Mississippi State were really not factors in that era).

Jim Foster is one of the game's great coaches, though note elite, but has those Philly and Geno and Muffet ties and a long winning record.

South Carolina was in transition mode: After the university left the ACC, the MBB and WBB programs joined the Metro Conference (what would later transition into the Conference-USA). A number of FB schools that still believed in going the independent route had their BB programs in the Metro - Florida State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, etc.

South Carolina was led by Nancy Wilson during those years. In the late 70's-early 80's, Pam Parsons was building the program up to be a power on the national stage, but the scandal involving her relationship with a player brought that crashing down. In 79-80 USC was 30-6 in the pre-NCAA days and finished ranked 4th.

Wilson took over for the 1984-85 season, the year after USC joined the Metro, and her program was a Metro-Conference power, winning five regular-season titles and three conference tournament titles in the 7 years under Wilson they were in the Metro, and playing in the NCAAT 5 times.

But South Carolina was sort of like Dawn Staley's Temple teams - they were a major university program that was strong in a smaller conference, but once they played the better competition they met their match. The NCAAT appearances were mostly 1st and 2nd RD efforts, with one Sweet Sixteen appearance. And when USC joined a stronger major university conference (SEC) in 1991-1992, it was a huge humbling step up: the Gamecocks finished no better than 10th in 5 of the 6 seasons in the SEC under Wilson. Still, she left the program as the winningest head coach, until Staley broke it in 2017-18.

After Wilson came Susan Walvius, who mostly continued Wilson's struggles in the SEC with the exception of two solid seasons that resulted in an Elite Eight finish in 2001-02. Walvius' final year saw the program go 16-16 and appear in the WNIT in 2007-08. Then came Staley.

Some interesting side-notes about Wilson: before coming to USC, she was the head coach at College of Charleston when they were a AIAW Div. II program, and led the Cougars to the AIAW D-II national title game 3 years in a row. After she left South Carolina and spent a couple years in the ABL with the Seattle Reign, she returned to the College of Charleston and coached until her retirement at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season. Wilson retired as the winningest head coach for both the College of Charleston and South Carolina, simultaneously.

What is also interesting is when Wilson first came to College of Charleston in 1973, she was hired as an assistant to then-head coach Joan Cronan. Cronan had the distinction of being the head coach at Tennessee for one season, in 1969-70, and led them to a 8-10 record. Cronan left UT when her husband got a job in SC, and soon after that she got a job at CofC as the WBB, volleyball coach, tennis coach, and AD for women programs.

Cronan would soon choose to give up the coaching roles and focus on the AD job entirely, with Wilson succeeding her as the WBB head coach. In 1983, Cronan would return to Tennessee at the invitation of Pat Summitt, and become the AD for women's sports there for some 30 years, and help Summitt turn that program into a powerhouse.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/10/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PRballer wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

A few observations:

South Carolina was in transition mode: After the university left the ACC, the MBB and WBB programs joined the Metro Conference (what would later transition into the Conference-USA). A number of FB schools that still believed in going the independent route had their BB programs in the Metro - Florida State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, etc.

South Carolina was led by Nancy Wilson during those years. In the late 70's-early 80's, Pam Parsons was building the program up to be a power on the national stage, but the scandal involving her relationship with a player brought that crashing down. In 79-80 USC was 30-6 in the pre-NCAA days and finished ranked 4th.

Wilson took over for the 1984-85 season, the year after USC joined the Metro, and her program was a Metro-Conference power, winning five regular-season titles and three conference tournament titles in the 7 years under Wilson they were in the Metro, and playing in the NCAAT 5 times.

But South Carolina was sort of like Dawn Staley's Temple teams - they were a major university program that was strong in a smaller conference, but once they played the better competition they met their match. The NCAAT appearances were mostly 1st and 2nd RD efforts, with one Sweet Sixteen appearance. And when USC joined a stronger major university conference (SEC) in 1991-1992, it was a huge humbling step up: the Gamecocks finished no better than 10th in 5 of the 6 seasons in the SEC under Wilson. Still, she left the program as the winningest head coach, until Staley broke it in 2017-18.

After Wilson came Susan Walvius, who mostly continued Wilson's struggles in the SEC with the exception of two solid seasons that resulted in an Elite Eight finish in 2001-02. Walvius' final year saw the program go 16-16 and appear in the WNIT in 2007-08. Then came Staley.

Some interesting side-notes about Wilson: before coming to USC, she was the head coach at College of Charleston when they were a AIAW Div. II program, and led the Cougars to the AIAW D-II national title game 3 years in a row. After she left South Carolina and spent a couple years in the ABL with the Seattle Reign, she returned to the College of Charleston and coached until her retirement at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season. Wilson retired as the winningest head coach for both the College of Charleston and South Carolina, simultaneously.

What is also interesting is when Wilson first came to College of Charleston in 1973, she was hired as an assistant to then-head coach Joan Cronan. Cronan had the distinction of being the head coach at Tennessee for one season, in 1969-70, and led them to a 8-10 record. Cronan left UT when her husband got a job in SC, and soon after that she got a job at CofC as the WBB, volleyball coach, tennis coach, and AD for women programs.

Cronan would soon choose to give up the coaching roles and focus on the AD job entirely, with Wilson succeeding her as the WBB head coach. In 1983, Cronan would return to Tennessee at the invitation of Pat Summitt, and become the AD for women's sports there for some 30 years, and help Summitt turn that program into a powerhouse.

Wow, that's a lot of history I didn't know about. I think that the PP scandal was the only part of that I knew. Thanks.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/14/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke rosters throughout the years.

Just got a pretty comprehensive roster website and it goes all the way back to the 70s and encompasses great players like Sarah Sullivan, Katie Meyer, Chris Moreland, Kira Orr, I started following during the 98-99 season when they ended up making it a national title run coming up short to Purdue.

I wish more teams had comprehensive rosters like this that went back several decades.

https://www.nmnathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1846&SPSID=22763&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1998

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: