RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/16/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Pretty sure that my computer is dying. Go online shopping for a new one.

Seems to be a shortage of computers now. Everyone I think I want, I find that it's sold out.

I guess it kind of makes sense with all of the homeschooling and lack of shipments in to the states. I may have to get something that I don't want now, and then get what I want later. đŸ˜„

Just never thought of computers being another victim of COVID 19 before.

My sister just shopped for a new laptop. She found that regardless of what their websites said, most resellers like Staples and Best Buy didn't actually have stuff in stock, and wait times to get an order filled would be weeks to months. She finally ordered something directly from Dell and received it a few days later.

Thanks for the info. I may have to do that too.

Best Buy is where I started looking. Unless I want something super cheap with absolutely nothing on it (they're actual name is BareBones), or mega-expensive, everything said sold out. A couple said arriving soon, but didn't spell out what "soon" was. Or that I could order it and get it in about a week. Who knows if that estimate is correct or what your sister was running into.

Can you limp along with your current computer +/- a cheap tablet with a BT keyboard for a few months? Or maybe check with a local dealer and let them do the sourcing for you?

pilight wrote:
I was shopping for a mouse and had the same problem. Everything decent is sold out.

"Stay-at-home" has really depleted the computer and peripheral stock, but also exercise equipment. I just waited 6 weeks for a rehab treadmill to use following back surgery.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/16/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Pretty sure that my computer is dying. Go online shopping for a new one.

Seems to be a shortage of computers now. Everyone I think I want, I find that it's sold out.

I guess it kind of makes sense with all of the homeschooling and lack of shipments in to the states. I may have to get something that I don't want now, and then get what I want later. đŸ˜„

Just never thought of computers being another victim of COVID 19 before.

My sister just shopped for a new laptop. She found that regardless of what their websites said, most resellers like Staples and Best Buy didn't actually have stuff in stock, and wait times to get an order filled would be weeks to months. She finally ordered something directly from Dell and received it a few days later.

Thanks for the info. I may have to do that too.

Best Buy is where I started looking. Unless I want something super cheap with absolutely nothing on it (they're actual name is BareBones), or mega-expensive, everything said sold out. A couple said arriving soon, but didn't spell out what "soon" was. Or that I could order it and get it in about a week. Who knows if that estimate is correct or what your sister was running into.

Can you limp along with your current computer +/- a cheap tablet with a BT keyboard for a few months? Or maybe check with a local dealer and let them do the sourcing for you?

pilight wrote:
I was shopping for a mouse and had the same problem. Everything decent is sold out.

"Stay-at-home" has really depleted the computer and peripheral stock, but also exercise equipment. I just waited 6 weeks for a rehab treadmill to use following back surgery.

I hope so. I already have the tablet that I mostly use at the gym. Makes cardio bearable!

I'd rather get everything transferred before the PC totally dies. I'm just beginning to notice some things that aren't quite normal. I keep checking for updates and my anti-virus, but will probably call Geek Squad to take a look. I just don't look forward to hours on the phone with someone that I can barely understand doing things to my computer that I also don't understand.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/16/20 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The entire Trump administration needs to be investigated. And at least be found guilty of being the incompetent, idiot assholes that they are.

Quote:
On April 11, during the peak of COVID-19 cases and deaths in New York City, the Federal Emergency Management Agency intervened and demanded orders of medical equipment allocated to our relief efforts be redirected to the federal government. FEMA then seized 50,000 N95 respirators we had ordered without giving us an explanation or telling us where those respirators were going.

Quote:
It wasn’t long before I realized it wasn’t only happening in New York and New Jersey. FEMA confiscated San Francisco’s PPE order as it went through Customs, even as the Trump administration told states and cities to procure their own equipment rather than rely on the federal government. Since those reports of FEMA quietly seizing materials, at least six states have lodged similar complaints against the federal government interfering with their supply chains.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/05/16/trump-team-seized-my-masks-for-coronavirus-health-workers-column/5191035002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 05/16/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New COVID-19 cases in New York coming from people leaving home, Cuomo says

Quote:
Cuomo said while last week he had theorized that new cases were coming from essential workers, "that was exactly wrong.

Saw someone point out the contradiction between forbidding people to go to the beach, but they can take the subway. I would add that they can also fly on airplanes out of airports.

People flock to NYC-area bars, beaches as ‘quarantine fatigue’ intensifies
Quote:

"The line for beach badges was like four non-socially distanced blocks long,” tweeted Jarrett Seidler, who described the boardwalk as “obscenely packed.”

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
People flock to NYC-area bars, beaches as ‘quarantine fatigue’ intensifies
Quote:

"The line for beach badges was like four non-socially distanced blocks long,” tweeted Jarrett Seidler, who described the boardwalk as “obscenely packed.”

The NY Post article is really trying to paint a misleading picture. Belmar was not "obscenely packed' as the article states. The majority of the people I witnessed were following the rules. And the reason for the long line to buy beach badges was due to it being the first day badges were required to go on the beach and the option to buy online wasn't working as the website kept crashing.

The "to-go" cocktails rule is also starting in NJ soon. Don't think it should be an option. My downtown area has several bars where I can see people getting the cocktails and then walking around the area. Then there's also the drinking & driving thing. My local Irish Pub has been steadily getting busier every week to the point where they've had to bring back most of their staff to do take-down & deliveries. Overall, it does feel like most people are willing to take a chance in "going out" now, especially with more options to go somewhere and the nicer weather.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Howee

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
My local Irish Pub has been steadily getting busier every week to the point where they've had to bring back most of their staff to do take-down & deliveries.

Shocked Is that, like, when a bouncer takes you out of commission for being too rowdy or not wearing your mask properly??? Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 05/17/20 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:
My local Irish Pub has been steadily getting busier every week to the point where they've had to bring back most of their staff to do take-down & deliveries.

Shocked Is that, like, when a bouncer takes you out of commission for being too rowdy or not wearing your mask properly??? Razz Laughing

oops. take-out. stupid autocorrect.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/17/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:

oops. take-out. stupid autocorrect.

I was wondering about that too. Laughing

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/17/20 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either way, thanks for the laugh.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/20 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HqEqJZRb6dI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oo9ka0DDnQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hisd_PeMEK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia reported errors in their latest reports.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/just-cuckoo-state-latest-data-mishap-causes-critics-cry-foul/182PpUvUX9XEF8vO11NVGO/

Quote:
This unforced error — at least the third in as many weeks — is confounding observers who have noted sloppiness in case counts, death counts and other measures that are fundamental to tracking a disease outbreak. Georgians check the data daily to decide whether it’s safe to reopen their businesses or send their children to daycare. Policymakers use it for decisions affecting the health of more than 10 million Georgians.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/17/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Georgia reported errors in their latest reports.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/just-cuckoo-state-latest-data-mishap-causes-critics-cry-foul/182PpUvUX9XEF8vO11NVGO/

Quote:
This unforced error — at least the third in as many weeks — is confounding observers who have noted sloppiness in case counts, death counts and other measures that are fundamental to tracking a disease outbreak. Georgians check the data daily to decide whether it’s safe to reopen their businesses or send their children to daycare. Policymakers use it for decisions affecting the health of more than 10 million Georgians.

Welp. That was a concern.

PostPosted: 05/18/20 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saturday Night alive has two guys who regularly play the Trump sons. Eric always sounds like he is mentally handicapped. I was never sure if they felt he was the dumber of the two or it was just a comedic way to play it. Then today he gave them this which they can use verbatim. But then again Trump did get his people fired up with his comments about it being a “Democratic hoax” early on. Pursuing that line of thinking got Trish Reagan’s Fox News show canceled.

Quote:
They think they are taking away Donald Trump's greatest tool, which is being able to go into an arena and fill it with 50,000 people every single time,' Eric Trump said of Democrats during an interview which aired on Fox News on Saturday.

'You watch, they'll milk it every single day between now and November 3.

'And guess what, after November 3 coronavirus will magically all of a sudden go away and disappear and everybody will be able to reopen

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8329447/Coronavirus-deaths-90-000-United-States.html

Last edited by tfan on 05/18/20 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 05/18/20 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

China has been trying to avoid fallout from coronavirus. Now 100 countries are pushing for an investigation

Quote:
The European Union-drafted resolution comes on the back of a push by Australia for an inquiry into China's initial handling of the crisis.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/18/20 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

pilight wrote:

I drove through Best Buy and got an external hard drive to transfer a lot of important-to-me stuff to (I know, I've just always put it off).

Also went to Sam's Club while I was out. First it was amazing how many people were there!!!! Most without masks.

The other thing I noticed even though I was just running in to pick up a few food items, I took a detour through electronics. I saw two computers on the floor for sell. Not two demos, TWO COMPUTERS in boxes for sale. One was opened. A lot of the fresh meat cases were empty. There were quantity limit signs all around. I think I expected that we'd be in a little better shape by this time. Sad

Shades

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UEDWTs9_d0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/18/20 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UEDWTs9_d0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Given that we're at nearly 90K deaths now, with >1K/day, I could have estimated that without resorting to a dozen models. Trump's blathering about this not being a problem for reopening are more of a concern.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/18/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kmD2OejLZZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mysticwiz

PostPosted: 05/18/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump says he takes hydroxychloroquine to prevent coronavirus infection

Quote:
“I happen to be taking it,” Trump said during a roundtable event. “A lot of good things have come out. You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers. Before you catch it. The front-line workers, many, many are taking it.”

He added: “I’m taking it, hydroxychlororquine. Right now, yeah. Couple of weeks ago, I started taking it. Cause I think it’s good, I’ve heard a lot of good stories.”

“I’m not gonna get hurt by it. It’s been around for 40 years,” he said. “For malaria, for lupus, for other things. I take it. Front-line workers take it. A lot of doctors take it — excuse me, a lot of doctors take it. I take it.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/trump-says-he-takes-hydroxychloroquine-to-prevent-coronavirus-infection.html

yep,we right on track.The "what the hell do you have to lose" vaccine hype train is rolling down the track today too.

As its been said we cant sustain the simple (yet hard to our way of life) things to tamp down this virus,we need magic bullets. Rolling Eyes

toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/20 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now his supporters will run out and try and hoard hydroxychloroquine. Those that really need it won't be able to get it soon.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/18/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Now his supporters will run out and try and hoard hydroxychloroquine. Those that really need it won't be able to get it soon.

Most of those people that are trying to hoard it aren't even getting a necessary medical evaluation including an EKG before taking it.

And I found this interesting. I had no idea that bio-detection dogs even existed. If it works, a dog could screen 250 people/hour.

Quote:
Do Dogs Have a Nose for COVID?

Bio-detection dogs have previously been trained to detect certain cancers, malaria, and Parkinson's disease. Now, researchers in the UK are turning to these dogs to detect COVID-19 in humans before symptoms appear.

The charity Medical Detection Dogs is slated to work with the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Durham University on the first phase of a trial on the concept of sniffing out the virus.

In this first phase, National Health Service staff in London hospitals will collect odor samples from people infected with coronavirus and those who are not infected. The dogs will then be tested on whether they can accurately identify the presence of the virus in the samples.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/930652

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/18/20 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And even more interesting...

Quote:
The first coronavirus vaccine tested on humans has yielded positive results, with a small number of people who were tested showing an immunity against the virus, drugmaker Moderna said Monday in a news release.

Moderna, a Massachusetts-based company, said the vaccine called mRNA-1273 "was generally safe and well tolerated." The company said it plans to move ahead with the next two phases, in which larger numbers of people will be tested this year.

The news release said three different dosage levels — 25, 100 and 250 micrograms — were given to 45 participants, and all of them developed detectable antibodies.

But the eight people who received doses of 25 and 100 micrograms in March responded best, developing antibodies that were just as high or higher than the antibodies found in people who'd gotten the coronavirus and then recovered, the company said.

This is only an interim report on a Phase I trial of a small number of subjects, but at least there's encouraging news.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/930714?nlid=135603_5653&src=wnl_newsalrt_daily_200518_MSCPEDIT&uac=369619HT&impID=2386112&faf=1
https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-releases-first-human-trial-results-2020-5

Howee

PostPosted: 05/18/20 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I had no idea that bio-detection dogs even existed. If it works, a dog could screen 250 people/hour.

I have seen them in action for cancer detection, and they're amazing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 72 of 100

Jump to: