RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/01/20 3:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The right situation for any player is to be able to start ASAP. That player will either swim or sink. The second best situation is to play at least twenty minutes per game. With that amount playing time a player can demonstrate what she can do.

+1. That just never happened for KML. Hopefully for New York's and Walker's sakes, that'll happen for Walker. I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out. Oof, I can't imagine what drafting two KMLs onto the team would've been like for the Storm lmao.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/01/20 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would disagree about starting right away, because if you start right away and fail, you're pretty much done.

For some players -- not all -- it makes more sense to play a lesser role the first year or two while you figure things out, work on your weaknesses, etc. Then when you do get the chance, you have the best chance to succeed.

PostPosted: 05/01/20 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out.

Walker and Willoughby may have similar body types, but there are notable differences in their games. Walker shot almost twice as many 3's as Willoughby (173 vs 89). Meanwhile, Jocelyn shot more than twice as many free throws (193 vs 95) as Megan in two fewer games. Willoughby is much better off the dribble. She has more ability to create her own shot and is much more willing to take it to the hoop. Walker is the better jump shooter. Defensively, Walker is probably the better positional rebounder, but Willoughby plays with more energy. I can see her being used for trapping and pressing.

PostPosted: 05/01/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good scouting report Root- thing could not have broken it down better

PostPosted: 05/01/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I would disagree about starting right away, because if you start right away and fail, you're pretty much done.

For some players -- not all -- it makes more sense to play a lesser role the first year or two while you figure things out, work on your weaknesses, etc. Then when you do get the chance, you have the best chance to succeed.

So if you draft a player with a great college resume' and you really need her to start because she is the best option that you have at that position. I believe that she should start.

PostPosted: 05/02/20 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post... Embarassed

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/10/20 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I do find Walker and Willoughby in particular to be very similar with both their body types and their games, so I wonder how that dynamic will play itself out.

Walker and Willoughby may have similar body types, but there are notable differences in their games. Walker shot almost twice as many 3's as Willoughby (173 vs 89). Meanwhile, Jocelyn shot more than twice as many free throws (193 vs 95) as Megan in two fewer games. Willoughby is much better off the dribble. She has more ability to create her own shot and is much more willing to take it to the hoop. Walker is the better jump shooter. Defensively, Walker is probably the better positional rebounder, but Willoughby plays with more energy. I can see her being used for trapping and pressing.

Agree, re: Walker. This is why I think she needed another year of college. She has got to improve off the bounce and creating her own shot. She developed into a great shooter and her overall game both offensively and defensively, is good, but I think she could have improved by leaps with one more year of college.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/10/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding slashing, it doesn’t appear to be one of those skills that just come from a little work. Usually, the great players have had that ability to do it for a long time.

And it’s not like college coaches truly care to develop players when they leave their program..

PostPosted: 05/26/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Round 1
1. New York - Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
2. Dallas - Satou Sabally, Oregon
3. Indiana - Lauren Cox, Baylor
4. Atlanta - Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
5. Dallas - Bella Alarie, Princeton
6. Minnesota - Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, South Carolina
7. Dallas - Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
8. Chicago - Ruthy Hebard, Oregon
9. New York - Megan Walker, UConn
10. Phoenix - Jocelyn Willoughby, Virginia [traded to New York]
11. Seattle - Kitija Laksa, TTT Riga/Lativa/USF
12. New York - Jazmine Jones, Louisville

Round 2
13. New York - Kylee Shook, Louisville
14. Indiana - Kathleen Doyle, Iowa
15. New York - Leaonna Odom, Duke
16. Minnesota - Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
17. Atlanta - Brittany Brewer, Texas Tech
18. Phoenix - Te'a Cooper, Baylor
19. Seattle - Joyner Holmes, Texas
20. Los Angeles - Beatrice Mompremier, Miami
21. Dallas - Luisa Geiselsoder, Germany
22. Los Angeles - Leonie Fiebich, Germany
23. Connecticut - Kaila Charles, Maryland
24. Washington - Jaylyn Agnew, Creighton

Round 3
25. Atlanta - Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
26. New York - Erica Ogwumike, Rice [traded to Minnesota]
27. Atlanta - Kobi Thornton, Clemson
28. Indiana -Kamia Smalls,
29. Phoenix - Stella Johnson,, Rider
30. Chicago - Japreece Dean, UCLA
31. Seattle - Haley Gorecki, Duke
32. Chicago - Kiah Gillespie, Florida State
33. Las Vegas - Lauren Manis, Holy Cross
34. Los Angeles - Tynice Martin, Vest Virginia
35. Connecticut - Juicy Landrum, Baylor
36. Washington - Sug Sutton, Texas

*Payton Chester, Gigi Bryant, and Alyssa Altobelli selected as honorary draft picks
[b]

2nd round did pretty well for itself

Could be one more if Laimbeer goes Mompremier or Holmes

Happy for Charles she wins the lowest draft pick to make a squad award so far, and might not have made it if she was picked earlier

who wins the most shocked they didn't make a team award

Mompremier, Holmes, Cooper, Gillespie or Martin?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may want to use a different color coding for suspended players, because technically they aren’t cut.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/26/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, five players from the draft are suspended. Laksa, Geiselsoder, Fiebich, Pivec & Gillespie.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/26/20 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am too lazy to fix it so

nor was if a player was cut or suspended a point I was trying to make

in reference to my list above

players in bold are players who weren't cut or suspended

and therefor are active roster members as of right now

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/26/20 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

19 UCONNers on opening day rosters.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/27/20 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said this all before, but it's even more obvious now that the W seriously needs to cut out the entire Third Round of its Drafts. I know this season is an anomaly, but the fact of the matter is, none of the third-round picks from the 2020 Draft will be playing in the 2020 Season as things stand now. The 3rd-rounders of Drafts past that have made the team they got drafted to hardly even end up developing into functional bench players, let alone borderline starters. What’s the point? Training camp contracts get wasted having to be used on raw and low-ceiling 3rd-rounders whom coaches don't have the time to focus their efforts on. These contracts are much better off going to players that have spent at least one season overseas somewhere where they have more of a capacity to immediately contribute to a team in the W given the professional basketball experience under their belt.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/20 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the harm in there being a third round? Players get the excitement of saying they were drafted by the WNBA (and maybe make a few extra dollars overseas as a result), local journos get to write the typical human interest stories, and teams get to pick a body for the opening week or so of camp (in a normal year). Teams also get chips to send to each other in "well by rule you have to give us something" trades.

I don't think there's a huge amount of point to it, but I don't think it really hurts anything.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The third round has been debated for a while now whether it should go, but there's really no harm and it does look good for a player when looking play overseas.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One advantage for players in not having a third round is that they can look at rosters and sign a training camp deal with a team that they have a chance of making rather than be forced into a training camp where their position is stacked with veterans.

That said, the PR value for the league is helpful (articles in non-WNBA cities) and players might get more money in Europe as WNBA draftees.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
One advantage for players in not having a third round is that they can look at rosters and sign a training camp deal with a team that they have a chance of making rather than be forced into a training camp where their position is stacked with veterans.

It's so very rare that free agents actually do that. Semi-longshot UFAs repeatedly sign places where you look at the roster and immediately go "she's got no chance to stick". I can't imagine that undrafted rookies and their agents would be any better at it. So I agree in theory, but in practice I don't think it would really happen.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

It's so very rare that free agents actually do that. Semi-longshot UFAs repeatedly sign places where you look at the roster and immediately go "she's got no chance to stick". I can't imagine that undrafted rookies and their agents would be any better at it. So I agree in theory, but in practice I don't think it would really happen.

True. But really, the chance of a third-rounder or free agent making an impact on the league is pretty minimal for either group.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the goal for every team is to improve (or at least not get worse) after Draft Night is over, one could make the argument that players taken in the 3rd-round - especially those with only one, maybe two worthwhile skills - actually bring more minuses than pluses to their team and therefore make the team worse. As we all know, roster ‘additions’ aren’t necessarily the same as roster ‘improvements’. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/27/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight could tell us which third rounders in the 'modern' age have made an impact. The first that comes to my mind is Kraayeveld, because I was a fan of hers when she was with the Liberty. I think she even started for a couple of seasons. So it can happen.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 05/27/20 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Pilight could tell us which third rounders in the 'modern' age have made an impact. The first that comes to my mind is Kraayeveld, because I was a fan of hers when she was with the Liberty. I think she even started for a couple of seasons. So it can happen.

What do you consider the "modern" age?

Theresa Plaisance is probably the ceiling for third rounders these days

PostPosted: 05/27/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Fagbenle?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 05/27/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Fagbenle?

Kizar certainly had a longer and better career than most of the players drafted ahead her. Were it not for injuries she might still be playing. Played 7 seasons, and reached her peak with the Fever in 2016, 9.6/3.2/1.0 in only 17 mpg.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/27/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I took a quick look yesterday at the third rounders since Jamierra Faulkner was one of them. Went back to 2008 (not very useful since I didn't start following until 2013 Laughing ), but the list was indeed short of third rounders who have stuck around awhile.

Besides the ones already named, there's (of names I recognize)

Talbot
Krystle Thomas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: