RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A WNBA tournament option
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/02/20 10:14 am    ::: A WNBA tournament option Reply Reply with quote

A worst-case scenario that still delivers some 2020 WNBA basketball.

1) The event would involve all 12 teams playing six or seven games over a two-week span. All games could be played at one site.

2) The format would begin with pool play, and then move on to bracket play, just like many summer tournaments for high school players.

3) Players would receive 25% of their annual salary (or whatever number is negotiated) and in addition would be playing for a $1.5 million prize pool.

The structure:

1) There are three four-team pools and each team plays the other three teams in its pool. This takes place on days 1, 3 and 5.

2) Teams are then seeded into a 16-team bracket. Ties are broken by point-differential – and there is no limit on a maximum point differential. If the point differential is tied, the next tiebreaker is total points scored. In the unlikely event a third tiebreaker is needed, there are many options.

3) The top four teams in pool play – the pool winners and the second-place finisher – all receive first-round byes (which count as wins in terms of the prize pool) in bracket play. The other eight teams play on day 7.

4) Bracket play continues on days 9, 11 and 13.

5) If one site is used, games begin at 9 a.m., and the next game begins 30 minutes after the first one ends. If ESPN wants more certainty, then two gyms would be required.

The prize pool:

1) Every game rewards every player on the winning team with a cash amount. The loser get nothing.

2) Pool play wins are worth $1,000.

3) In the first round of bracket play, wins are worth $2,000 – and those teams that earned byes get $2,000 for each player.

4) Loser’s bracket wins – for those four teams that lose in the first round of bracket play -- are worth $2,000.

5) Winner’s bracket wins are worth $2,500.

6) A championship game win is worth $5,000.

Details:

1) Though draft order will be determined by finish in the tournament, tanking will not be likely, as there is an immediate financial reward to the players for winning. It is possible that one team will go winless in pool play and thus get none of the prize pool; each player on the championship team will receive $15,000 for two weeks of work.

2) All games will be competitive given the prize money, and pool play games will be competitive to the final horn, as point differential will be crucial as it will determine bracket seeding. A bad seed in the bracket would mean a better chance at dropping into the loser’s bracket, where winning games is worth less money.

PostPosted: 05/02/20 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like, or some variation on it, maybe a little longer with more games. Keeping players in quarantine for a few weeks would be much easier than several months. I like the idea of a big pool of prize money.

And1

PostPosted: 05/02/20 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is this “big pool of prize money” coming from? What will generate revenue?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/03/20 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TV contracts and sponsorship. Maybe they figure out how to get gambling money too. Costs will be a lot lower than a normal season. Owners make up for losses and get any profits just like any other year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/03/20 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Where is this “big pool of prize money” coming from? What will generate revenue?

ESPN is unlikely to be paying the full amount of its contract given there are no games -- so the prize money comes from ESPN, which then has seven full days of live programming.

Everybody gets a little this way, which is better than nobody getting anything.

(The positive spin is that effective treatments are developed and available quickly so that playing without fans is much more feasible. Then we can talk about some kind of "full" season.)

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The number of tests that would be required for all the personnel involved in putting everyone in a 'bubble' site like this is such a bad look PR-wise when there are so many people out there who need tests but still can't get them or at least aren't at the front of the queue. I also wonder if we'd have some temporary coaching changes. The players may be in the groups who are low-risk even if they got it, but a lot of the head coaches aren't. Maybe Mike Thibault stays home and lets Eric take over for a while, for example.

There are so many side-issues like that to think through before any of these plans could actually be put into action. And does everything immediately grind to a halt when the first person tests positive? What if someone isn't yet positive, but they spike a high temperature or have a bit of a cough? I'd love to see some actual sport played somewhere again soon, but every time I read about one of these plans another potential issue comes up. It's gonna be really difficult to pull off.

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree completely, Richyyy, which is I think American football just can't happen this fall. If tracing and isolating contacts is taken seriously, one positive test puts everyone involved in quarantine for 14 days.

The only way you I see is treatment development that mitigates the severity and death rate of the disease significantly. In other words, if you get it, you're very unlikely to die, and the symptoms for all are much less severe.

PostPosted: 05/03/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What motivation would the bottom-dwelling teams have to even show up? There are always teams with new personal that it would take at least half the season to get in sync. Teams like NY for example that are filled with rookies and building this year for the future. Why should they even play if they are probably not going to get any wins?

Now they might put out some incentive to reward the winners, but to leave out the lower teams entirely is not going to work. Especially if they want to maintain the league. Having expenses and not getting any sort of money might just be what kills some of the lesser teams. In any league, they always have to make sure that the bottom dwellers are supported if only to keep the league's numbers up.

PostPosted: 05/04/20 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this is the only option available, it would be a fun one. Ratings would be halfway decent because it could be viewed as skipping the regular season and going straight to the playoffs. People like us will be watching like crazy trying to squeeze as much of a WNBA fix out of it as we possibly can, and it's a much easier sell than the regular season to the casual fan. There will be plenty of elimination games and people like that.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/04/20 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
What motivation would the bottom-dwelling teams have to even show up?

I don't know, the same motivation that inspires the 16 seeds in the NCAA tournaments to show up and compete?

The Liberty have been starting out better than they finish for several years now. Bring it on! Smile

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/04/20 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
What motivation would the bottom-dwelling teams have to even show up? There are always teams with new personal that it would take at least half the season to get in sync. Teams like NY for example that are filled with rookies and building this year for the future. Why should they even play if they are probably not going to get any wins?

Now they might put out some incentive to reward the winners, but to leave out the lower teams entirely is not going to work. Especially if they want to maintain the league. Having expenses and not getting any sort of money might just be what kills some of the lesser teams. In any league, they always have to make sure that the bottom dwellers are supported if only to keep the league's numbers up.

Because they get 25% of their salary. Otherwise they get 0%.

And only one team, if that, will get zero for the two weeks. Win one game, and you're $1,000 richer. Win two, and it's at least $2,000 -- which isn't bad for two weeks playing basketball.

PostPosted: 05/04/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love it Clay. Have you pitched the league?

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/04/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Thanks ... no, I haven't. I wanted it to be ripped to shreds here first so I could modify as needed.

But that said, I really don't know who to send it to. Megdal? Engelbrecht?

PostPosted: 05/04/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Thanks ... no, I haven't. I wanted it to be ripped to shreds here first so I could modify as needed.

ClayK I like the idea, but if you are looking a reason why it won't work, the most likely one would be an acceleration of new virus infections, hospitalizations and deaths in the coming weeks as the full effect of states' reopening becomes manifest. If that happens sports will seem a lot less important.

miller40

PostPosted: 05/04/20 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

ClayK I like the idea, but if you are looking a reason why it won't work, the most likely one would be an acceleration of new virus infections, hospitalizations and deaths in the coming weeks as the full effect of states' reopening becomes manifest. If that happens sports will seem a lot less important.

More Americans have already died from this virus than in combat during Vietnam, but we still aren’t collectively at the place to recognize that sports just aren’t that important right now. What’s the death threshold, I wonder, before we accept this summer and fall as out of reach for sporting entertainment.

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/04/20 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

More Americans have already died from this virus than in combat during Vietnam, but we still aren’t collectively at the place to recognize that sports just aren’t that important right now. What’s the death threshold, I wonder, before we accept this summer and fall as out of reach for sporting entertainment.
Prpbably because they re-adjusted the deaths in Vietnam to reflect that they too all died from this virus.

PostPosted: 05/04/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that any kind of a WNBA season is unlikely but maybe two weeks' worth can happen -- even if it's in late September.

The schools are going to open in mid-August, it seems certain, so after that surge hits (or doesn't, as some believe), then maybe a way forward will be visible.

PostPosted: 05/04/20 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

I wonder if 3,000 deaths a day is enough.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-trump-administration-projects-3000-deaths-per-day-by-june.html

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/20 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Well said. Thank you for asking the question that will never get honestly answered.

And thanks also to Randy for the comment just above.

PostPosted: 05/05/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PRballer wrote:

I wonder if 3,000 deaths a day is enough.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-trump-administration-projects-3000-deaths-per-day-by-june.html

I guess the regime has learned it's better to go over and than under when it comes to projecting deaths.

I watched on ESPN like 15 minutes of Korean Baseball with no fans in the stands. It could be will be a litmus test for what to expected from American sports.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/05/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Why is opening up the economy for important stuff like haircuts and tattoos seen as okay, but playing sports in a controlled environment is deemed not okay?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/05/20 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Why is opening up the economy for important stuff like haircuts and tattoos seen as okay, but playing sports in a controlled environment is deemed not okay?

I don't believe most people believe that opening up barber shops and tattoo parlors is ok. Indeed I think sports is more important but how far we can get with much more testing is hard to say. I seriously doubt we will have college football this year. NFL football has a chance but without fans, and only because there is so much money involved. I still haven't seen a responsible plan for the MLB season or finishing either the NHL or NBA. By the end of the year something will have to be figured out but I don't hold my breath for the WNBA leading the way.

I think Imani Stafford may be able to practice medicine before the WNBA plays another game.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/05/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

I don't believe most people believe that opening up barber shops and tattoo parlors is okay.

Why is it happening then? Why are beaches opening? I guess what “most people” feel is best doesn’t matter.

calbearman76 wrote:
Indeed I think sports is more important but how far we can get with much more testing is hard to say.

Of course there’s got to be testing. Nobody’s suggesting things are going to be back to “normal” anytime soon. But we can only do things the normal way, or do we have to create a new normal sooner than way later?

I heard Trump tried to push 5-min tests onto Congress, instead of sending them to the frontline or wherever they’re needed. So at least we know that 5-min tests are available in some capacity. Maybe they’re readily available, and the NBA will have the capacity to get these tests. I know they were able to test their players back when few tests were available to anyone. Now testing should be ramped up a bunch since then.

calbearman76 wrote:
I seriously doubt we will have college football this year. NFL football has a chance but without fans, and only because there is so much money involved. I still haven't seen a responsible plan for the MLB season or finishing either the NHL or NBA. By the end of the year something will have to be figured out but I don't hold my breath for the WNBA leading the way.

It’d be easier for the WNBA to pull it off. Only 12 teams and at most 144 players. Easier to contain that in a bubble... if it’s worth it to all who would be in the bubble. Can you imagine how huge it would be for the league if they’re one of the few sports available for viewing?

calbearman76 wrote:
I think Imani Stafford may be able to practice medicine before the WNBA plays another game.

I’ll take you up on that bet since McGee-Stafford is studying to be a lawyer. Sounded like she’s taking two seasons off, so it kind of sounded like she’s anticipating being be back in the league, maybe because becoming a lawyer is hard.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/05/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NASCAR resumes May 17 & the PGA resumes June 11. I do think it's best for the NBA & NHL to not attempt to finish their current season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NASCAR resumes May 17 & the PGA resumes June 11. I do think it's best for the NBA & NHL to not attempt to finish their current season.

Agreed.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: