RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA endorsement ruling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/30/20 11:23 am    ::: NCAA endorsement ruling Reply Reply with quote

Long ago, a Cal women's basketball assistant named Carol Harrison (now sadly passed on) said she had a solution to corruption in NCAA sports: "Just let the boosters do whatever they want," she said, and it makes sense. It's simple, it removes the schools from the equation (at least directly), and it allows athletes to be compensated.

As I understand the new rule, an athlete can get an endorsement deal on his or her own. So a rich booster can have Quentin Quarterback endorse his law firm for $100,000 a year -- and of course will get in a bidding war with a USC alum who will offer $125,000 for his property management firm.

Which means the market will decide how much college athletes are worth, which is just as should be. And some athletes may now sign contracts that guarantee the money (benefiting the athlete) and guarantee that Quentin QB will stay at Cal for four years (maybe a buyout?).

PostPosted: 05/03/20 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

look...not everybody has an Uncle Phil to donate hundreds of millions to a school....

the big names NEED the little poor schools to beat up on so the big schools can look "big"....

I suspect that many colleges will eventually drop a lot of sports because they just can not keep up...

If I wanted to watch the nba or wnba I would....I happen to like our college system as it is....students athletes...

you want to pay the athletes?....okay..but no scholarships....none....

how many female college athletes will ever get this endorsement money?....none....how many male/female tennis players?..none....how about the cross country team?....nope....

this is the big schools in football and bb like the Alabamas and Dukes trying to increase their advantage dramatically....

its plainly, nuts....

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since no schools that I know of have chosen to leave Division I -- and more move into Division I each year -- I don't see it as likely that colleges will start dropping sports.

The rich will indeed get slightly richer, but how is that different than the way it is now? The only change will be that those who put their bodies on the line so coaches, athletic directors and universities can pad their bank accounts will now get some of the money.

And as long as the present scholarship system stays in place, no female athletes (and no athletes from non-revenue sports) will lose anything. And if the market is there, then a few female athletes will get some endorsement money. If the market isn't there, then they won't -- but I'd rather see those who have the ability to earn money be able to do so than prohibit anyone from being fairly compensated for their labor.

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ODU has dropped wrestling, a 63 year old program, because of financial straits. So yes, Clay, schools will drop some sports, just not "major" ones. At least not for the foreseeable future.
https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/vp-sp-odu-athletics-study-20200403-akwhwiad2zfmrbvob7j6dlzcjy-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0vetyIGb25i6khN6_Oy6fNGhVcqO8_QnBq5zyhkh4a7okxsZCEZK23KD0

PostPosted: 05/03/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cutting college sports programs is a possibility amid economic downturn

Quote:
A proposal to allow NCAA Division I athletic departments to jettison sports teams as part of cost-saving measures amid the novel coronavirus outbreak has sparked widespread concern among coaches and athletics officials touting less drastic alternatives...

The letter sent by the Group of Five commissioners, which includes the American Athletic, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences in addition to Conference USA, sought exemption from a slew of requirements including the number of scholarships, attendance and scheduling.

But none of the possible cuts figure to be nearly as contentious as dropping teams. Cincinnati, a member of the American Athletic Conference, recently announced that it was cutting its men’s soccer program...

Any elimination of teams would likely have a bigger impact on men’s sports than their female counterparts because of Title IX requirements stipulating that a certain percentage of a school’s scholarships are allocated to women.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-23/cutting-college-sports-programs-ncaa-economic-downturn-coronavirus

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/03/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Cutting college sports programs is a possibility amid economic downturn

Quote:
A proposal to allow NCAA Division I athletic departments to jettison sports teams as part of cost-saving measures amid the novel coronavirus outbreak has sparked widespread concern among coaches and athletics officials touting less drastic alternatives...

The letter sent by the Group of Five commissioners, which includes the American Athletic, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences in addition to Conference USA, sought exemption from a slew of requirements including the number of scholarships, attendance and scheduling.

But none of the possible cuts figure to be nearly as contentious as dropping teams. Cincinnati, a member of the American Athletic Conference, recently announced that it was cutting its men’s soccer program...

Any elimination of teams would likely have a bigger impact on men’s sports than their female counterparts because of Title IX requirements stipulating that a certain percentage of a school’s scholarships are allocated to women.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-23/cutting-college-sports-programs-ncaa-economic-downturn-coronavirus

True, but unrelated to the endorsement issue -- at least directly.

And of course Title IX is still in effect though that's of small comfort to male wrestlers.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: