RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA All-Time Draft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/20 4:03 pm    ::: WNBA All-Time Draft Reply Reply with quote

Thought the results of this might interest some people here. We certainly had fun doing it.

https://winsidr.com/2020/04/30/the-wnba-all-time-draft-best-players-wnba-history/
Quote:
I enlisted 11 other people who know a lot about women’s basketball to serve as mock GMs as we built a 12-player team. The rules were pretty simple: you had to have at least three players from the first (1997-2008) and second half (2009-2019) of the WNBA’s history with one starter from each era. GMs picked a consecutive two-season version of a player and, once a player got selected, no one else could take that player (even if in different seasons). Trades were not allowed and the draft was done in snake format.

PostPosted: 04/30/20 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lyndsey D’Arcangelo didn’t have a good draft. Laughing Becky Hammon with Cynthia Cooper, Breanna Stewart and Lauren Jackson still on the board.

Of course I’m riding with Swoopes and whatever team would have selected her.

Justin Carter and Richard Cohen did an outstanding job.

PostPosted: 04/30/20 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Lyndsey D’Arcangelo didn’t have a good draft. Laughing Becky Hammon with Cynthia Cooper, Breanna Stewart and Lauren Jackson still on the board.

Of course I’m riding with Swoopes and whatever team would have selected her.

Justin Carter and Richard Cohen did an outstanding job.

+1. Hammon going before Taurasi alone is, umm, interesting.

Richyyy I think I like your starters the best. Good balance of offense/defense to go with plus talent at several positions. Very Happy Team 10 comes in at a very close second for me though.

Team 7's giving me Detroit Shock vibes with its overall toughness and scrappiness in its personnel. Several people here that have been coached by Bill Laimbeer himself, including... Shoni Schimmel? Laughing

And speaking of surprise picks, how did Marine Johannès sneak into this Draft despite having barely played half a season thus far?! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Golly... who wins the championship here?

toad455

PostPosted: 04/30/20 6:30 pm    ::: Re: WNBA All-Time Draft Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Thought the results of this might interest some people here. We certainly had fun doing it.

https://winsidr.com/2020/04/30/the-wnba-all-time-draft-best-players-wnba-history/
Quote:
I enlisted 11 other people who know a lot about women’s basketball to serve as mock GMs as we built a 12-player team. The rules were pretty simple: you had to have at least three players from the first (1997-2008) and second half (2009-2019) of the WNBA’s history with one starter from each era. GMs picked a consecutive two-season version of a player and, once a player got selected, no one else could take that player (even if in different seasons). Trades were not allowed and the draft was done in snake format.

Excellent piece!! Surprised to see Swoopes go #1.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/30/20 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice, I love this!

I was going to be drawn toward whichever team drafted Tweety.
Hayes/Leilani Mitchell
Nolan/Perkins/Schimmel
Cash/Clark
Catchings/Alyssa Thomas
Ford/Wauters/Ndour

That’s a fast and athletic starting lineup, but agree with the drafters assessment that they lack in outside shooting.
I’ll just take All-Star game MVP Shoni Laughing

Richyyy I love your draft.
Vandersloot, Mabika, Beard, Jackson, Griner is tough.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/30/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love this as well!

Richyyy as expected has some great picks, but for a championship I gotta go with Justin

Starting 5
Chelsea Gray
Katie Smith
Nykesha Sales
Dewanna Bonner
Lisa Leslie

Offensive firepower and good defenders at all five positions is tough to beat.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/20 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My gut reaction was Team Kurtis, but they just don't have the perimeter scoring. Team Richyyy is in the same boat, especially if they have to go to the bench. Team Jack is interesting, but I don't trust Tweety to be a full time decision maker. I wound up picking Team Natalie as the best balanced top-to-bottom.

PostPosted: 04/30/20 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bear in mind we were selecting two-year periods. So, for example, the Alana Beard on my team was a pretty significantly different player from the one we remember from recent years in LA.

I admittedly would've liked a bit more shot-creation off my bench (like I said in the summary, I wanted Jia Perkins and she got snatched up right in front of me), but PeeWee could get hers at her peak.

All of which is to say, I like my team. But I can understand why people might go for some others. And yes, some people definitely had different priorities from others, or took it a bit more seriously. But in some ways that reflects most drafts. There's always the people who analyse everything to death, the ones who go with their gut, the ones who are constantly making deals, and usually one or two who appear to have no clue what they're doing and are therefore wildly unpredictable. Just makes it more realistic Smile.

PostPosted: 05/02/20 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I decided to see what kind of team I could make from the leftovers. I wound up with...

Mo Currie 2010-11
Chas Melvin 2002-03
Camille Little 2009-10
Murriel Page 1999-00
Temeka Johnson 2005-06
Dominique Canty 2006-07
Roneeka Hodges 2011-12
Cathrine Kraayeveld 2007-08
Iziane Castro Marques 2009-10
Courtney Paris 2014-15
Suzie McConnell-Serio 1998-99
Shanna Crossley 2007-09

Don't see them hanging with any of the other teams

PostPosted: 05/02/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow such a great read. And what the hell....how was Lauren Jackson not the team you build around? And Hammon and Lobo as your first two picks? Eek.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I decided to see what kind of team I could make from the leftovers. I wound up with...

Mo Currie 2010-11
Chas Melvin 2002-03
Camille Little 2009-10
Murriel Page 1999-00
Temeka Johnson 2005-06
Dominique Canty 2006-07
Roneeka Hodges 2011-12
Courtney Paris 2014-15
Shanna Crossley 2007-09

Most of those were on my remaining list at the end. Others include Tamecka Dixon, Jen Azzi, Shavonte Zellous, Anna DeForge, Tari Phillips, Latasha Byears, Maria Stepanova and Nicky Anosike. But yeah, I think enough of us were scouring the history books that we didn't miss anyone too egregious over 144 picks.

PostPosted: 05/02/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm outraged that Shoni got picked and Izzy didn't. Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/02/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Mo Currie 2010-11
Chas Melvin 2002-03
Camille Little 2009-10
Murriel Page 1999-00
Temeka Johnson 2005-06
Dominique Canty 2006-07
Roneeka Hodges 2011-12
Courtney Paris 2014-15
Shanna Crossley 2007-09

Most of those were on my remaining list at the end. Others include Tamecka Dixon, Jen Azzi, Shavonte Zellous, Anna DeForge, Tari Phillips, Latasha Byears, Maria Stepanova and Nicky Anosike. But yeah, I think enough of us were scouring the history books that we didn't miss anyone too egregious over 144 picks.

I wondered about some of those. It's always going to be hard for folx to agree on something like this, but I can't imagine picking a lot of the players that were picked over peak Tari Phillips or Tamecka Dixon.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/02/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I wondered about some of those. It's always going to be hard for folx to agree on something like this, but I can't imagine picking a lot of the players that were picked over peak Tari Phillips or Tamecka Dixon.

Marie Ferdinand, 2002 Idea Arrow

I remember she was so quick with her defense that the Starzz stuck her on Sheryl Swoopes.. ShockedExclamation

I still remember that great battle vividly, and even have the game on VHS somewhere Cool

Marie was also my favorite SG to pick in the WNBA Virtual GM that year Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: