RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Muffet McGraw retires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/23/20 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the TV video linked in the OP the AD says that Muffet will continue to be employed by Notre Dame in special project capacities. He mentioned three: some sort of teaching, helping develop coaches, and serving as a public relations face for the university.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been in the works for a year. Muffet sort of indicated in the interviews that she thought seriously about retiring after the 2019 season. The decision to stay through the predictable down year to get some good recruits, the movement of Ivey to the NBA to get some different professional experience, and the ultimate replacement of Muffet by Ivey after a year, all could have been sort a coordinated plan. And, if so, a good one.
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/23/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the interview with Ivey on the ND WWW site, ND AD Swarbrick said that the plan for a while was for Ivey to replace McGraw, it was more of a question of when and if Ivey was available (the NBA gig was a great "sabbatical", as he put it). McGraw was grooming her to be her replacement.

When asked if anyone else was being considered for he job, he just gave a flat out "No." He said that this was the succession plan for the last two years or so. He did say that Ivey was a "good negotiator" when the time came... Wink

https://und.com/watch-live-niele-ivey-press-conference/

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/23/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
She did say that the pandemic was a great time for reflection. She was away from the game and basically didn't miss it. She said that there are other things she wants to do.

There's an old Bear Bryant quote: If you can live without coaching, you shouldn't be coaching.

If she has other things she wants to do, then let her do them. Coaching would probably make it a lot harder to do them. She's had a great career.

Last edited by CBiebel on 04/23/20 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/23/20 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best thing she did was leave, it gave her a big bargaining chip. Smart move...

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/23/20 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Muffett does some things outside her duties at ND, either broadcasting or working with the NCAA or WCBA or something. Spread the wisdom around.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some of her reactions this last season might be a good indicator of either burnout or some sort of health issue.

Did I hear somewhere that she was going to fulfill an old dream and travel to France to attend the Marcel Marceau school and become a street mime? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/23/20 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a buddy who knows Muff and Matt personally (he's a journalist dealing primarily with ND). I talked with him last night, and he said that when Muff told him of her reasons, it was all very sensible and non-dramatic. And relatively recent....she may have had her 'ducks in a row' for a while, but decided to make the move 'official' very recently.

PostPosted: 04/23/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interview with Niele.

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/one-on-one-niele-ivey-discusses-her-vision-for-notre-dame-womens-basketball-program

And one with her son.

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/One-on-one-with-new-Notre-Dame-Head-Coach-Niele-Ivey-569901241.html

So impressive...both of them!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/24/20 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody think that one of Niele's first phone calls was to Dara Mabrey?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/24/20 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Who thinks MM will be appearing as a broadcaster of in studio at ESPN? Her demeanor is a bit old, but I bet she would be very good at analyzing the game.

*Old*?? OLD?? The wench is MY age. She's not "old". Evil or Very Mad

Actually, I think she'd be a refreshing change-up, with her wisdom and experience, from the 'wannabes'

I meant to say cold, as in icy. Oops.

I think that you might be surprised how relaxed and funny she is when not competing. She would be FANTASTIC as an analyst.

We all know that she isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. Smile I agree that it would be refreshing.

Funny-

That's the exact opposite of two people's opinion who know Muffett through coaching circles and as ND season ticket holders. Their opinion of her personally is not on the high scale, at all. But then again, what do I know.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/24/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ucbart"]
Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Who thinks MM will be appearing as a broadcaster of in studio at ESPN? Her demeanor is a bit old, but I bet she would be +

Actually, I think she'd be a refreshing change-up, with her wisdom and experience, from the 'wannabes'

I meant to say cold, as in icy. Oops.

I think that you might be surprised how relaxed and funny she is when not competing. She would be FANTASTIC as an analyst.

We all know that she isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. Smile I agree that it would be refreshing.

Funny-

That's the exact opposite of two people's opinion who know Muffett through coaching circles and as ND season ticket holders. Their opinion of her personally is not on the high scale, at all. But then again, what do I know.

All I know is that I've been going to ND games since '88-89 season (it was IU), was a season ticket holder up until this last season and had a handful of meals sitting at the same table with her. I haven't had a ton of interactions with Muffet (probably would average 4-5/year over 32 years) but I'd say that every one that I've had has been relaxed and pleasant. I don't remember ever walking away thinking she was anything but nice. Once, at Loyola-Chicago, she caught up with me in the parking lot after the game as she was walking out to the bus and I was going to my car. She asked me if I was OK walking to my car alone in the dark. She didn't know me, only knew I was a fan. Is she perfect? Probably not. But something as thoughtful as that will more than cover any small transgression in my book.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/20 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Notre Dame go above the average amount of transfers-out the last few years?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/27/20 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Did Notre Dame go above the average amount of transfers-out the last few years?

There were two last year (Danielle Patterson and Jordan Nixon). Before that Erin Boley and Ali Patberg transferred after 2016-17. That would be an average of 1 a year over the last 4 years.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/27/20 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just sitting here after reading the 2020-2021 class thread. It got me to thinking about the camps that would normally be starting in 6-8 weeks.

That made me think about how Niele ended up at ND. She wanted to go to NC. She went there for camp and apparently Hatchell did a couple of drive by visits. Muffet was interested in Niele and made several trips to St. Louis to watch her play.

The rest is just wonderful ND history!!!!!!

I wonder if Muffet ever sent Hatchell a thank you gift? Laughing

Or maybe Niele should now?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/26/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Expect More"

https://www.wndu.com/2021/02/25/legendary-notre-dame-womens-basketball-coach-muffet-mcgraw-releases-new-book-titled-expect-more/#:~:text=Her%20new%20book%20is%20titled,in%20the%202019%20Final%20Four.&text=Once%20McGraw%20retired%2C%20she%20had%20the%20time%20to%20write%20the%20book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: