RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/25/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Let's see if Nyara can play an entire season healthy. That might be more of a factor if she plays pro ball anywhere.

I can see her playing one season at Oregon, then doing what Diamond DeShields did and play a full pro season overseas the year after, and then get drafted in the W in 2022.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/25/20 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Let's see if Nyara can play an entire season healthy. That might be more of a factor if she plays pro ball anywhere.

I can see her playing one season at Oregon, then doing what Diamond DeShields did and play a full pro season overseas the year after, and then get drafted in the W in 2022.

Only if she's healthy.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/20 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiana Mangakahia- Stronger than ever during tough times
https://cnycentral.com/sports/college/tiana-mangakahia-stronger-than-ever-during-tough-times

Quote:
Make no mistake, Mangakahia is focused on the 2020-2021 Syracuse Basketball season but in a whirlwind 12-months where she was diagnosed with and then beat cancer setting goals like the WNBA are a natural.

It would be an utter shock if that dream didn't become reality in 2021.

"It's one of my goals and it's been one of my goals since I was young so I can definitely see myself in the WNBA Draft next season and just watching it, made me excited for my turn and when it's my time."

No doubt, watching it was a nice escape for everyone but a mix of feelings in some ways for Tiana.

"It was a bit emotional knowing that I was supposed to be in it this year" she said.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/09/20 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mangakahia is really underrated right now, to me. She is going to have a fantastic pro career, both in the W and for Australia. I think she has potential to be the Opals' best point guard since Michele Timms. If she's healthy, IMO, she's the best point guard in a 2021 class that is loaded with point guards. Syracuse looks to be really strong next year, and if they do well and her passing stats continue to be fire, I think she's a lottery pick.

And considering what she has been through, everyone will be rooting for her. I think the ESPN hype for her will be huge next season, as long as it is played.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/09/20 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's already 25, which could hurt her draft stock significantly. You're normally drafting at least in part for potential; she'll potentially be on the downslope of her career before her rookie contract is over.

PostPosted: 05/10/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She's already 25, which could hurt her draft stock significantly. You're normally drafting at least in part for potential; she'll potentially be on the downslope of her career before her rookie contract is over.
That is the reason I don't see her going in the top half of the 1st round. But if she plays up to her 2018 form or improves over that I could see her going late first round and having a good rookie season in the right place.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/10/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mangakahia played in the WNBL for AIS and Townsville before she went to Syracuse. Was she unpaid or can former professionals play in the NCAA?

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/10/20 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It is more likely that she plays two seasons at least. You are assuming she is under the same situation that her sister was, which made her go pro when she had a year left. To begin with, her sister played 3 seasons and went early only because she wanted to help her family. Since her sister is already helping her family that issue is not as necessary as it once was. I am also sure that besides her WNBA and Euro salary she will get endorsements contracts in Germany as well. Dirk Nowitski turned down all endorsement contracts out of principle, but Sabally, because she needs the money certainly would not.

I just can not see her only playing one season, especially after coming off of an injury. Her sister needed that fires season to get used to the officiating in the USA. It is important for her to put in at least one season at a level close to her ceiling. and that would be unlikely if she plays only one year.

PostPosted: 05/10/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Mangakahia played in the WNBL for AIS and Townsville before she went to Syracuse. Was she unpaid or can former professionals play in the NCAA?

Happens a lot overseas, especially in the smaller leagues. Younger players participate at the highest local level but retain their NCAA eligibility by essentially playing for nothing. Lots of kids play in our top division over here and then go to the US, because if you're good enough to go to an even half-decent US school, you're more than good enough to play in Britain's WBBL.

Of course, some decide early on that they'd rather be paid for their services than keep the possibility of an NCAA career alive. Several have also gone on college visits and then decided "screw this school thing, let's just turn pro immediately".

PostPosted: 05/12/20 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Playing devil's advocate...

---- Given the trades that transpired and the extreme likelihood of a truncated (or even cancelled) 2020 season, I think teams will be looking for an experienced point guard who can contribute right away, especially in a backup role (e.g., Phoenix).

---- In addition, the fact that she will be on a rookie contract during the likely high points of her career will be beneficial to teams that are at or near the salary cap maximum.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/12/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh there are certainly positives. We've seen with guys like Malcolm Brogdon and Josh Hart in the NBA that the steals lower down the draft are often guys who spent longer in college so go underdrafted because teams take hypothetical potential ahead of them. But high picks in both leagues are usually taken in the hope that the player is still improving, and that the player you'll have in two or three years' time will be significantly better than the one you're drafting. Someone who'll be at least 26 before they even play a game for you is unlikely to have the same room for growth.

PostPosted: 05/12/20 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are some pluses for 'maturity' - especially for a PG. All she has to do is follow in Birdy's footsteps and she will have another 15 years! Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/20 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aside from age, Mangakahia still has to work off the rust from missing a whole season. We can’t simply assume she’ll have a big senior year. Then at the next level, she has to overcome being only 5-6. We’re talking about a player who was not in the 27-person pool being considered for the Opals (announced January 2019) even before she was diagnosed with cancer (June 2019). And it’s not like Tiana isn’t active in the Australian national program -- she played on U16, U17, and U19 teams. Mangakahia is a fun player to watch, but if she can’t crack the top 27 in Australia is she likely to make a WNBA roster?

PostPosted: 05/12/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, personally I was working on the hypothetical that she's somewhere around as good as PickledGinger thinks she is. I have no idea. Don't think I've ever seen her play.

PostPosted: 05/12/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty big call to say she'll be better than Kristi Harrower.

PostPosted: 05/13/20 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be pretty interesting to see perception of her versus Shyla Heal, who is about six years and five months younger, but in the same draft, although their games are not similar.
tfan

PostPosted: 05/13/20 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Aside from age, Mangakahia still has to work off the rust from missing a whole season. We can’t simply assume she’ll have a big senior year. Then at the next level, she has to overcome being only 5-6. We’re talking about a player who was not in the 27-person pool being considered for the Opals (announced January 2019) even before she was diagnosed with cancer (June 2019). And it’s not like Tiana isn’t active in the Australian national program -- she played on U16, U17, and U19 teams. Mangakahia is a fun player to watch, but if she can’t crack the top 27 in Australia is she likely to make a WNBA roster?

Good point about her height, or lack thereof. I have seen her play and she is a skilled ball handler and passer but her quickness didn't stand out as you would like for a shorter player. Don't know if it is accurate, but this ESPN article says she was still in the running for the Chemist Warehouse team in April 2019.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28733234/syracuse-star-tiana-mangakahia-nurtures-basketball-dream-finds-new-purpose-breast-cancer-battle

Quote:

Ever since she started playing basketball -- and realized she was good at it -- Mangakahia wanted to play for Australia in the Olympics. And in April 2019, she made the preliminary squad. She called her mom and said, "Mum, it looks like my dream is coming true. It looks like we are going to Tokyo!"

Three weeks later, when she was taking a shower, she found the lump on her left breast.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/20 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Don't know if it is accurate, but this ESPN article says she was still in the running for the Chemist Warehouse team in April 2019.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28733234/syracuse-star-tiana-mangakahia-nurtures-basketball-dream-finds-new-purpose-breast-cancer-battle

Quote:

Ever since she started playing basketball -- and realized she was good at it -- Mangakahia wanted to play for Australia in the Olympics. And in April 2019, she made the preliminary squad. She called her mom and said, "Mum, it looks like my dream is coming true. It looks like we are going to Tokyo!"

Three weeks later, when she was taking a shower, she found the lump on her left breast.

There was a 27-person pool announced in January, 2019, and then a different one announced in December. 2019. Obviously, Tiana wasn't in the second one, but she wasn't in the original pool either. There were three injured players on the first list, so Mangakahia probably replaced one of them (likely Wallace). Then Tiana made the best of her opportunity to get on the preliminary squad. That would be my guess.

PostPosted: 05/13/20 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
tfan wrote:
Don't know if it is accurate, but this ESPN article says she was still in the running for the Chemist Warehouse team in April 2019.

Quote:

There was a 27-person pool announced in January, 2019, and then a different one announced in December. 2019. Obviously, Tiana wasn't in the second one, but she wasn't in the original pool either. There were three injured players on the first list, so Mangakahia probably replaced one of them (likely Wallace). Then Tiana made the best of her opportunity to get on the preliminary squad. That would be my guess.

If you check the Opals 2019 thread you'll see that she was added to the squad in April after initially (and surprisingly to me) being omitted

PostPosted: 05/14/20 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Opals 2019 thread? I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Wink

It looks like Mangakahia did replace Wallace, and Aokuso filled Bunton's spot. Tiana made the 15-person squad in April, but then Australia Basketball pushed the pool back up to 23 in July. You almost have to do a quarterly report on the state of the Opals to get it right. Razz

PostPosted: 06/26/20 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s Charli Collier on the left. She already knows she’s eligible for the 2021 draft (must read this board) and she seems to be extra excited for the season. Hmmm. Seems like a potential fitter in the Liberty’s new system. Could let Stokes go if they got Collier.

The player on the right is sophomore Celeste Taylor. She seems intelligent and well-spoken.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RWCWttRWWwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/26/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO the timing of when this country starts getting the vaccine out to the masses will be vital to all winter collegiate sports in if they happen at all this year or not. I’m guessing most fall sports don’t happen this year, with the money-making sport of college football being a toss-up. Fauci said he’s “cautiously optimistic” about its existence in early 2021, with a very outside chance of it getting out there before 2020’s over.

If college basketball doesn’t have a long enough season, I wonder how likely it’ll be that a player early-declares for the W’s 2021 Draft knowing they could instead come back in 2021-2022 and likely have a normal final season. For Charli Collier specifically, I wonder if Vic Schaefer would be able to convince her otherwise to stick around and potentially be a part of a deep Tourney run.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
IMO the timing of when this country starts getting the vaccine out to the masses will be vital to all winter collegiate sports in if they happen at all this year or not. I’m guessing most fall sports don’t happen this year, with the money-making sport of college football being a toss-up. Fauci said he’s “cautiously optimistic” about its existence in early 2021, with a very outside chance of it getting out there before 2020’s over.

If college basketball doesn’t have a long enough season, I wonder how likely it’ll be that a player early-declares for the W’s 2021 Draft knowing they could instead come back in 2021-2022 and likely have a normal final season. For Charli Collier specifically, I wonder if Vic Schaefer would be able to convince her otherwise to stick around and potentially be a part of a deep Tourney run.

I doubt it , shes not one of his players so i don't see how the connection would be that strong to dedicate her self to him . She's talking about cashflow and being eligible that makes me believe shes 90% sure about declaring early .

PostPosted: 07/18/20 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the still uncertain situation about the college season, does anyone have an idea of what "exercising intercollegiate basketball eligibility in the United States" would entail?

I assume that signing a letter of intent is not enough. Is simply enrolling in a class enough, even if it is online? Do you actually need to play in a game?

There are a few international players who are supposed to start playing in college this year that would at least be worthy of draft consideration in 2021.
stever

PostPosted: 07/21/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing Aari McDonald can improve in senior season with Arizona women’s basketball

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/7/21/21332367/aari-mcdonald-arizona-wildcats-womens-college-basketball-improvement-2021-senior-wnba-adia-barnes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 3 of 53

Jump to: