RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 Post-Draft Roster/Salary Sheet updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/24/20 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If that math is right, in order to keep Mompremier over Gulich, they might be cutting Wiese in favor of Martin. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if it happened... that is if Mompremier doesn’t have some sort of chronic injury.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/20 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mompremier can be cut and then probably re-signed a few weeks later to fit under the cap if Fisher prefers her over Gulich.

Theoretically, yes. Obviously leaves her open to being claimed (or just signed) by other teams, if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is where they miss Penny Toler. Nobody ever did cap sleight-of-hand better.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This is where they miss Penny Toler. Nobody ever did cap sleight-of-hand better.

But sleight-of-hand, you mean flaunt-or-rules?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler used to paint them into the same tight windows. Looks to me like they basically didn't expect to draft anyone they cared about, and it's only really become a discussion because they ended up with Mompremier who has her fans. Of course, if they'd only given Gray a $9,000 bonus, or Augustus $109,000 rather than $110,000, none of this would even be an issue.

PostPosted: 04/24/20 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Toler used to paint them into the same tight windows. Looks to me like they basically didn't expect to draft anyone they cared about, and it's only really become a discussion because they ended up with Mompremier who has her fans. Of course, if they'd only given Gray a $9,000 bonus, or Augustus $109,000 rather than $110,000, none of this would even be an issue.

Why not just waive Gulich for a few games. Seems like a good chance no one would claim her. Or same for Augustus - unlikely she is going to be any better this year than last and she's getting paid enough that teams would think twice before claiming her. Sparks might end up cutting her anyway.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/20 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Why not just waive Gulich for a few games. Seems like a good chance no one would claim her. Or same for Augustus - unlikely she is going to be any better this year than last and she's getting paid enough that teams would think twice before claiming her. Sparks might end up cutting her anyway.

Waiving Gulich doesn't help them, that's kind of the point. Gulich's the most obvious one that Mompremier might beat out (so then Gulich would be gone, not just for a few games) - but Mompremier's salary doesnt fit in the same hole. But yes, annoying cut-and-resign moves with someone like Augustus are also theoretically possible.

Amusingly, one of the teams with enough space to claim Augustus if she got waived would be Minnesota...

PostPosted: 04/24/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Part Two, Western Conference, is out: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-post-draft-roster-projections-900

Considering all the marketing PHX has put into Cunningham this offseason, I’d be somewhat surprised to see Coffey make it instead of her. It’s been 3 seasons for her being a WNBA journey woman, and she couldn’t find her place on a pretty bland Dream team last season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/24/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So could a player rework her contract at this point to give them the cap room they need to keep Mompremier?

PostPosted: 04/24/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Considering all the marketing PHX has put into Cunningham this offseason, I’d be somewhat surprised to see Coffey make it instead of her. It’s been 3 seasons for her being a WNBA journey woman, and she couldn’t find her place on a pretty bland Dream team last season.

I'd have Cunningham over Coffey, too. And Stella Johnson only makes the roster if Epoupa doesn't show. I'd expect Te'a Cooper to get another shot somewhere else.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/24/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still can't believe how much Phoenix overpaid for Hartley. That's the player that'll likely be the reason Phoenix can only go with 11 to start the season? And if they're not careful, the next three seasons?! Shocked

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/25/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So could a player rework her contract at this point to give them the cap room they need to keep Mompremier?

Nope, can't do that. If you could renegotiate after signing we wouldn't have weird scenarios like Mitchell being waived and then re-signed for slightly less last season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: