Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
And I get that people that watched basketball in the 70-80s prefer PGs that just passed the ball and wasn’t really good at anything else, but times are changing.

That wasn't the thing at the pro level even then. The best NBA PGs of the 70's were guys like Walt Frazier and Tiny Archibald, who could drop 20 points/night.

Well whatever era it was. Laughing

Yeah - most people complaining about that are still debating whether Wilt or Russ was the greatest ever.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
You’ve got to use context when describing Carter. With all due respect to her teammates, her job was to put the ball in the hoop, not look like Penicheiro.

Atlanta already has a lot of players who think their job is to put the ball in the hoop. I think we may see some fireworks down yonder. Maybe passing becomes obsolete.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
You’ve got to use context when describing Carter. With all due respect to her teammates, her job was to put the ball in the hoop, not look like Penicheiro.

Atlanta already has a lot of players who think their job is to put the ball in the hoop. I think we may see some fireworks down yonder. Maybe passing becomes obsolete.

They can play box and 1 taking turns being the 1.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

They can play box and 1 taking turns being the 1.....

I actually thought of that too Laughing except I don't have the impression that 'taking turns' is very much in most of their minds. I guess whoever gets a rebound takes the ball down the floor and tries to score. GloJo will have to work on her dribbling skills but she and EWill can get theirs on rebound/put backs. I think EWill will be ok with that. Not sure GloJo will be but hey, can't please everybody all the time. If they win, they may be lovey dovey. But if they lose, steam will be coming out of the locker room, and it won't be from hot water.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EWill actually handles the ball pretty well. Her senior year at Duke when Chelsea Gray and Alexis Jones were injured, forcing Tricia Liston to play PG, Williams would sometimes give Trish a break by bringing the ball upcourt herself. I thought she looked surprisingly good. So now she can just rebound and take it coast-to-coast. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/22/20 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I think they played Pivec in the 3 spot, so that probably helped a little with the rebounding.

Yep, and sometimes they even played Pivec in the 4 spot when Oregon State went with a 4-guard line-up, particularly after one of their freshman post players went down with the ACL. Not that she'll ever play the 4 in this league, but she's definitely physical enough to play the 3 in this league. Too, with Pivec and Tiffany Hayes both listed at 5'10, Hayes herself will probably start at the 3 again (or at least play there a bunch), where she's played off and on her entire time in Atlanta. Hayes will be a good player to learn from in how it's done imo - though Pivec will have to seek elsewhere to learn how to run the offense. Smile

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
And I get that people that watched basketball in the 70-80s prefer PGs that just passed the ball and wasn’t really good at anything else, but times are changing.

That wasn't the thing at the pro level even then. The best NBA PGs of the 70's were guys like Walt Frazier and Tiny Archibald, who could drop 20 points/night.

Let's not forget the NBA symbol, Jerry West. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/22/20 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I'm going with the Big O. He was more of a 60's guy though.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/22/20 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course Carter can score, and I'm pretty sure she'll be successful in the WNBA. But the "point guard" is the one who gets the team into certain offensive sets as she isn't the primary option every time down.

Will Carter be comfortable giving up the ball a higher percentage of the time than she did in college? Of course the answer could be yes, but it also could be no, and she may just look to score too much because that's what she's always done.

I think it's a legitimate question, and it will be interesting to see how it's answered.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Was the non-scoring point guard ever prevalent in the men's game? Bob Cousy finished at 18.4 ppg. Stockton was at 13.1 ppg for his career, but 17+ three times. Magic Johnson finished at 19.5. I think the non-scoring PG was more of a thing in the women's game with people like Ticha and T-Spoon.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Thanks Randy! How can I forget about the player that helped my favorite NBA team win their only championship.

PostPosted: 04/22/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Thanks Randy! How can I forget about the player that helped my favorite NBA team win their only championship.

Not only that, he helped my favorite ABA team win 3 ABA championships. When they offered the Big O. a contract, he turned them down but told them to get Roger Brown (HOF) who is recognized as the Indiana Pacer's greatest ever.

https://www.pbs.org/video/wfyi-local-productions-undefeated-roger-brown-story/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Brown_(basketball,_born_1942)

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodbye Star

https://spark.adobe.com/page/V84aajmBkolE8/

Quote:
And please don’t fret Dream fans. I have been grooming my replacement for a while now and you will NOT be disappointed. This new heart of the Dream will keep you laughing as we chase a championship in 2020 and beyond.

PostPosted: 04/30/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Goodbye Star

https://spark.adobe.com/page/V84aajmBkolE8/

Quote:
And please don’t fret Dream fans. I have been grooming my replacement for a while now and you will NOT be disappointed. This new heart of the Dream will keep you laughing as we chase a championship in 2020 and beyond.

Are they changing the costume or just the person in it?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/20 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's an entirely new mascot

PostPosted: 04/30/20 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's an entirely new mascot

Interesting, considering a literal star is still quite prominent in the brand/logo.

Actually, I never saw it up close before until now. Has it always been an Atlanta Hawk tribute/parody with antennas? Confused This change might be for the best...

toad455

PostPosted: 05/01/20 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA teams are getting their rosters down to 15 rather quickly. Dream sit at 17 currently. I wonder who they'll cut or suspend soon? Babkina?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/03/20 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA teams are getting their rosters down to 15 rather quickly. Dream sit at 17 currently. I wonder who they'll cut or suspend soon? Babkina?

If it were up to me to get to 15, I'd cut Dietrick and Thornton. Though I don't know if teams are able to cut someone they just drafted without giving the player a chance in training camp. There's probably that kind of contractual provision for all drafted rookies, since I don't think I've seen a team do that (unless the player fails their physical).

pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/20 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Babkina shows, so that's one

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If it were up to me to get to 15, I'd cut Dietrick and Thornton. Though I don't know if teams are able to cut someone they just drafted without giving the player a chance in training camp. There's probably that kind of contractual provision for all drafted rookies, since I don't think I've seen a team do that (unless the player fails their physical).

Thornton is one of my favorite Wings. I can't imagine how she would get to the top of anybody's 'cut' list.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/03/20 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Thornton is one of my favorite Wings. I can't imagine how she would get to the top of anybody's 'cut' list.

Different Thornton Smile.

And yes, you can cut draftees before camp (has indeed happened once or twice in recent times). Although, if you believe the signings being reported on WNBA.com's Transactions page, Thornton is actually one of the four players left who hasn't yet signed her rookie contract anyway. No need to waive/suspend/whatever someone if they don't sign their contract in the first place.

PostPosted: 05/04/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brace for a TV inundation, Georgia, as someone's about to put her mouth where her money is.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/georgia-senate-loeffler-put-behind-wave-new-ads/Jcf2ijVn3MtyXspdJsjMGI/

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 05/04/20 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Brace for a TV inundation, Georgia, as someone's about to put her mouth where her money is.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/georgia-senate-loeffler-put-behind-wave-new-ads/Jcf2ijVn3MtyXspdJsjMGI/

~lw3

Kelly is only polling at 11%. Could she join the Dream in last place?

Quote:
“She’s a sitting U.S. Senator who has already spent nearly $10 million and is in 4th place. Her campaign is deader than disco. No amount of money can fix this but her team is getting rich and won’t tell her the truth.”

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/13/20 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting to know Courtney Williams of the WNBAs Atlanta Dream
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7hMvR-7g7-0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hMvR-7g7-0

PostPosted: 05/13/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I doubt Babkina shows, so that's one

Good call, pilight. Babkina is in Miami.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xV3TO_Be81c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 21 of 30

Jump to: