Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:
I mean it's no Trump University.

Laughing Laughing Good to set the bar high.

What the schools have in common is that both were founded by presidents -- one by Donald Trump, the other by Thomas Jefferson. Which one sounds better?

One enslaved people and sometimes used those slaves for sex and engaged in child labor, The other is Donald Trump...

OK, I knew this was coming. I actually spent a considerable amount of time crafting an answer, but I decided not to post it. In the end, this is a basketball forum. If people really want to get into this debate, I'm game.
We can continue in Area 51.

Yeah, that would be the correct place for that line of discussion from here.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

What the schools have in common is that both were founded by presidents -- one by Donald Trump, the other by Thomas Jefferson. Which one sounds better?

One enslaved people and sometimes used those slaves for sex and engaged in child labor, The other is Donald Trump...

One acted within the norms of the times, while one lives in progressed times wanting to go back to the old ways.

Yeah, I am surprised at how Trump gets away with advocating slavery at his rallies.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/20/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

One acted within the norms of the times, while one lives in progressed times wanting to go back to the old ways.

Yeah, I am surprised at how Trump gets away with advocating slavery at his rallies.

I mean you responded right below another mod telling people to knock it off...

I take responsibility for starting us down this tangent, I should have known better than thinking a joke that used the "T" word wouldn't be like saying "Bloody Mary" three times...and for that I apologize.

Let's get back on topic now.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Draft ratings hit six-year high

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/04/wnba-draft-viewership-espn/

Quote:
The draft averaged slightly more viewers than the conclusion of the NBA HORSE Challenge on ESPN the previous night (372K)

PostPosted: 04/20/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The draft averaged slightly more viewers than the conclusion of the NBA HORSE Challenge on ESPN the previous night (372K)

It's a shame that's all the got considering no other sports were on.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

It's a shame that's all the got considering no other sports were on.

To be fair, the draft isn't really "sports."

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was busy elsewhere for most of it but saw the end that seemed to be all Kobi. A friend who is a casual fan watched it and her comment was, 'well I learned a lot about Kobi and Sabrina and not much else' She said the beginning tribute to the girls who died was moving, but that after awhile the show seemed pretty boring and not very informative. And also that they stopped talking about the picks, just randomly put a list up. She thought that was pretty 'sleazy'. Sounded like normal to me. Crying or Very sad I guess they made it 2 hours long so they could spend at least 1/2 hour talking about Kobi? I didn't see many comments about that so what was your take?

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
She said the beginning tribute to the girls who died was moving, but that after awhile the show seemed pretty boring and not very informative. And also that they stopped talking about the picks, just randomly put a list up.

Fair summary IMO.

I thought the opportunity to introduce a bunch of new personalities to us fans was largely wasted, and doing things like returning from a commercial break with a bunch of new names on the screen was disrespectful. It wasn't much different to the other drafts, despite having sufficient time for it to me much better.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a minute there I thought you meant they'd spent an inordinate amount of time covering Kobi Thornton... Wink

PostPosted: 04/21/20 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Delivers Most-Watched Draft in 16 Years

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-delivers-most-watched-draft-in-16-years/

Quote:
This year’s event, which was held virtually in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, averaged 387,000 viewers on ESPN, up 123 percent over the 2019 Draft, and up 33 percent from the last time it aired on the network in 2011.

PostPosted: 04/21/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA Delivers Most-Watched Draft in 16 Years

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-delivers-most-watched-draft-in-16-years/

Quote:
This year’s event, which was held virtually in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, averaged 387,000 viewers on ESPN, up 123 percent over the 2019 Draft, and up 33 percent from the last time it aired on the network in 2011.

Am I missing something? The other link from above has this Draft being the most watched since 2014's Draft. Neutral

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/21/20 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they added a 1 to the 6 Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/23/20 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
Are they sure Willoughby went to Virginia? She sounds like she could have went to Stanford.

Isn't UVA widely considered to be one of the top public institutions in the country?

She is apparently very smart and hard working. Here are some of her accomplishments listed on her bio at UVA:

AT VIRGINIA
GENERAL

Appointed as a non-voting, student-athlete member of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. Her tenure runs through her senior season

Meriwether Lewis Institute for Citizen Leadership Fellow (Class of 2020 cohort)

Lived on The Lawn during the 2018-19 academic year

During UVA’s 2018 Fall Convocation Ceremony, she received a certificate of Intermediate Honors, a distinction given to third-year students who are among the top 20 percent of their class in the College of Arts & Sciences

Completed her undergraduate degree in Global Development Studies in three years and graduated in May 2019

Working on her Master’s degree at UVA's Batten School of Public Policy (began in July 2019)

2019 Raven Award student recipient, presented by the Raven Society

2019-20

2019-20 CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I women's basketball third team. She was one of 15 players nationally to be named an academic All-American. She is the seventh player in program history to earn the honor and the first to do so since Jenny Boucek in 1996

2019-20 Kay Yow Award winner, honoring the ACC Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. She is the first player in program history to win this award

https://virginiasports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jocelyn-willoughby/6658

Wow! What an impressive young woman. I mean, how does one person get allllll the gifts?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/23/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it interesting that we didn't see the two UConn prospects have particularly "inflated" selections (get picked higher than they should have due to to the pedigree of their program) like we traditionally have seen in past years imo. While both certainly had their own red flags as prospects, such as Walker's underperformance in big games and Dangerfield's height/defensive concerns, both undeniably were talented enough to be top prospects for the League and emerged as star players for UConn (well, at least in this past season anyway), as the stats will show. And it's not like UConn wasn't a Top 10 program this year, but was that slippage from the top spot NCAA WBB has collectively grown accustomed to over time a big part of the reason why the prospects didn't get picked higher? It'll be interesting to see, if the team can't get back to being #1 for stretches of time, where WNBA prospects from UConn will get picked in the next few years. There isn't scheduled to be any UConn draftees in 2021 now that Walker has left early, but 2022 is scheduled to have both Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa - both of whom were highly ranked out of high school and neither of whom have particularly shown to be playing at their best with any sort of consistency, as of yet.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect the fact that some UConn players have clearly been picked too early has made GMs/Coaches a bit more discerning.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I suspect the fact that some UConn players have clearly been picked too early has made GMs/Coaches a bit more discerning.

Some have also been picked too late. Tiffany Hayes springs to mind, and based on rookie season alone Collier last year. By average do they actually get picked too early, or do so many UConn players get drafted generally that it just feels like they do?

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Some have also been picked too late. Tiffany Hayes springs to mind, and based on rookie season alone Collier last year. By average do they actually get picked too early, or do so many UConn players get drafted generally that it just feels like they do?

Don't forget Nurse.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past Geno generally had his pick of the litter and that eventually translated into them being top picks. The WCBB landscape has changed and more and more talented players are entering the pool. They are also being dispersed more to the various other top programs that have emerged in WCBB. I doubt that any program will dominate either college basketball and the draft as consistently as they once did.

PostPosted: 04/23/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should've said above that I'd argue Walker at 9 and Dangerfield in particular at 16 are deflated picks (if that's the right word to use here as the opposite of "inflated"), and probably were 'supposed' to have been picked higher - though GMs and fans (like us) alike are more or less in agreement on how much of a crapshoot it was from the post-lottery picks all the way up towards the end of the second round.

Btw, for those who are unaware that this exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UConn_Huskies_in_the_WNBA_draft

As far as 2019's Draft, from what I remember, not many had pencilled in Samuelson as a lottery pick in their final mocks - I think my final mock at least ended up having her at 11. I'd call her an inflated pick, so I'd also argue that the UConn inflation phenomenon was happening as recent as last year. Although, Collier to me felt about right being picked at 6 at the time; but yes, if anything I'd call her a slightly deflated pick like y'all are saying. Oof, imagine 2019's ROY being picked #1 overall by Vegas. Embarassed

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/20 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walker might start at PF for New York, but I do wonder if she thought she'd go higher(#5 to DAL or #6 to MIN). She might have been a lottery pick in 2021.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/24/20 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
In the past Geno generally had his pick of the litter and that eventually translated into them being top picks. The WCBB landscape has changed and more and more talented players are entering the pool. They are also being dispersed more to the various other top programs that have emerged in WCBB. I doubt that any program will dominate either college basketball and the draft as consistently as they once did.

Geno still has the pick of the litter. He still gets the number one ranked player coming out of high school more often than not and he has starting lineups made up of players who mostly ranked in the top 5 by a least one recruiting service.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/24/20 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Don't forget Nurse.

Actually, the only one I can think of that was picked too early was Tuck. But, relatively, within a couple of picks no one else. A lot of players get picked too early but you can't blame the University or pedigree, it's the one choosing.
These professional teams are choosing the best players they can, it's their livelihood and can make mistakes. They cannot afford personal biases but sometimes fans do.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/25/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Don't forget Nurse.

Actually, the only one I can think of that was picked too early was Tuck. But, relatively, within a couple of picks no one else. A lot of players get picked too early but you can't blame the University or pedigree, it's the one choosing.
These professional teams are choosing the best players they can, it's their livelihood and can make mistakes. They cannot afford personal biases but sometimes fans do.

Kiah Stokes averaged 4.5 ppg and 6.8 rebounds per game as a senior with similar averages throughout her career. She was an excellent defender, but I doubt she gets drafted at all with a similar career at any other school, let alone in the first round.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/25/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In recent times, KML was clearly picked way too early.
It's yet to be seen about MoJeff, but she could also be one of those 'way to early' picks.
I really like Gabby but her tweener status with no shot certainly raises warning flags about her career. She could develop...

- Amanda Gorman
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/25/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think the catch here is almost everyone noticed she was always sharing time/playing behind dolson, stewart, tuck... add in jefferson, KML, hartley, williams, etc.

i think yes if she averages those numbers for say maryland, she's not even drafted... but the talent was clearly there and i would say for the most part, when she got minutes, she produced. sometimes there just aren't enough minutes to go around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: