Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The Prince signing is a bit odd, but I'd assume she got only the vet minimum. Maybe Bird is signing for slightly less than the max? Does seem like they'll play Tuck at SF now or Stewart at SF in spurts.

If we're to believe anything in the article that Craigmont posted here a couple weeks ago, Tuck will be used more so as a SF. It would make sense since KML is now gone and it appears (for now) that Langhorne's sticking around.

I'd lean towards the Storm drafting a post with their pick. Maybe Mompremier drops to them?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/24/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if they're still planning on Magbegor showing up this year. If so, that #11 pick may well struggle to make the roster.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wonder if they're still planning on Magbegor showing up this year. If so, that #11 pick may well struggle to make the roster.

At this point, just let her sit until 2021. They can let Langhorne go elsewhere next season and bring her in.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/24/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like Magbegor is planning to play this season:

Quote:
A first-round selection in last year’s Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) draft in America, Magbegor, who lives in Craigieburn, will head to the US in April to join the Seattle Storm and fulfil another childhood dream, playing in the world’s No.1 women’s league.
---
“Last year was a big year and hopefully 2020 is even bigger,” Magbegor says.
“We’ve just qualified for Tokyo, which was an incredible experience. There’s WNBA, then the Olympics and I turn 21 in August. I can’t stop smiling.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/move-over-lauren-jackson-and-liz-cambage-eziyoda-magbegor-is-the-new-kid-on-the-basketball-court/news-story/1cd18e54fe0a10590e0711ee8117ea27?utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_content=SocialFlow

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

At this point, just let her sit until 2021. They can let Langhorne go elsewhere next season and bring her in.

If she’s willing and able to play, it’s not up to the team to “let her sit”. They either have to sign her or release her rights.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Magbegor's indeed with us the whole year, I'd love to trade Langhorne. Even though her salary's non-guaranteed, I just don't think we'd flat-out cut her. It wouldn't matter to me either way. No matter how it goes, I mainly want to see us carry both this year and last year's first-rounder on the roster - they wouldn't be getting many minutes anyways. Unless somebody's taking the season off, I hope Prince has to compete to get a roster spot and Langhorne has to compete to keep hers (though Tuck won't have to worry about that, now will she Confused ).

Processing the KML trade, I'm a little emo. We originally traded a package to get a package that was highlighted by the 3rd overall pick from Connecticut back in 2015. Now, just five years later, we send her back to that same team... for just a second-round pick. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes As kids these days say: It be like that sometimes!

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/24/20 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
If Magbegor's indeed with us the whole year, I'd love to trade Langhorne. Even though her salary's non-guaranteed, I just don't think we'd flat-out cut her. It wouldn't matter to me either way. No matter how it goes, I mainly want to see us carry both this year and last year's first-rounder on the roster - they wouldn't be getting many minutes anyways. Unless somebody's taking the season off, I hope Prince has to compete to get a roster spot and Langhorne has to compete to keep hers (though Tuck won't have to worry about that, now will she Confused ).

Phoenix might be able to use her. Or Connecticut.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/25/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, Prince's contract isn't guaranteed, so she's cuttable. So they could keep Magbegor and their first round pick if they choose.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 02/25/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird re-signs with Storm.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/27/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
I cannot wait for the draft. I’m probably going to get off work early to watch.
With the uncertainty of Tina this offseason, Sabrina Ionescu coming to NY has me super excited and I already want to order a jersey!

I’m hoping to visit NY in September to catch the Storm game (and some US Open Cool ). It will be so much fun to watch her live.

Come to think of it, it’ll be interesting when Ionescu & New York plays here in Seattle. Lots of Oregon fans & possibly her Bay Area family will make the trip north to see her, I’m sure. Hey, if we somehow draft Minyon Moore at #11 (which would be a weird pick but not egregiously so imo), or have any other Oregon player on the roster, we could have a Ducks Day like we have a Huskies Day when Plum & the Aces come to town and Whitcomb’s still on our roster. It’s good marketing imo!

On the other side of the coin, if we pick Pivec at #11 and the Oregon State fans travel particularly to see her & Ionescu possibly square off... that could make for an interesting Liberty @ Storm arena experience. Shocked Laughing

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 02/27/20 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we have a Duck Day this season, it better be in Everett.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/20 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm feeling a little better/more at peace about the Storm having the #11 Pick, due to the rash of early declarations from expected and unexpected prospects and the chain reactions that will cause in who's available later in the first round. Who do we think the Storm will pick at this spot? Here are the main players I'm realistically hoping for:

1. Beatrice Mompremier, 6'4 F/C, Miami (FL) or Ruthy Hebard, 6'4 F/C, Oregon - I put both players here since there is a chance one of them falls this far, though it's the least likely out of anyone on this list imo. This would be the home franchise for Hebard (from Alaska). This player - really any post player the Storm selects in this draft - would likely compete directly with Langhorne and/or Magbegor for a spot. Mompremier is the more physical, less efficient player; while Hebard is the less meaty, more efficient player. Still, they're similar enough with their back-to-the-basket games and abilities to rebound to where I would be more than content with either of them. Neither would be too weird a fit alongside any of the main post players imo, particularly Stewie or Howard. Speaking of Howard, it's possible that she isn't on the team in 2021 due to the potential constraints of a new (max) contract coming her way after 2020, and there don't appear to be a whole lot of good post options in the 2021 Draft unless the Storm, god forbid, end up in the lottery. So if the Storm had to pick between post player or perimeter player at #11, they should pick the former. If they pick the latter...

2. Mikayla Pivec, 5'10 G/F, Oregon State - I've said it before, but the hometown prospect can fill the spot Zellous occupied last year as the 2nd/3rd-string PG; out of all the many PG/CG prospects in this draft, Pivec may be the lone one who can potentially defend any of the perimeter positions due to her balance of height, physicality, and fundamentals (elite rebounder as a perimeter player). If the Storm think she can defend back-up SFs in particular, that could impact the roster construction more than any other of the draftees listed here as it relates to playing Tuck as a perimeter player (SF) versus as a post player (PF). Pivec's ability to shoot and score at this level will almost single-handedly determine her ceiling. She'd likely compete for a spot against Prince, who as a proven 3-point shooter & true "scoring" guard is a very different player from Pivec.

3. Kaila Charles, 6'1 F/G, Maryland - what this team hasn't had but also hasn't seemed to need is a physical true SF that can defend and effectively crash the boards. The fact that Charles doesn't take 3's wouldn't be a deal-breaker here since largely the rest of the team does. Like Langhorne, she has the Maryland pedigree; and if she can take a step forward in improving her jump shot consistency, she should become a rotation player sooner rather than later. Otherwise, the Storm might instead opt to bring back 2018-draftee Teana Muldrow in what would be her third training camp in a row.

4. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, 6'2 F, South Carolina or Kiah Gillespie, 6'2 F, Florida State - This is the stretch-4 tier. As a disclaimer, I prefer Herbert Harrigan over Gillespie, because the former has continued to improve while at South Carolina whereas the latter had seemingly plateaued a bit in her two years at Florida State. Gillespie is a high-volume 3-point shooter and the better rebounder between the two, but Herbert Harrigan made her 3's at a better clip and is much more of a rim protector than Gillespie. A range of people from experts to casual fans have graded Gillespie above Herbert Harrigan in their draft pools; I go against the grain and do the opposite in this case, while still accepting the possibility that Gillespie could go here above Herbert Harrigan and end up being the better player in the long haul.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/30/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Magbegor is indeed showing up, taking a post at #11 is irrelevant. They'll have Stewart & Howard as starters, with Langhorne, Russell & Ezi. Plus the option to slide Clark & Tuck into the 4 spot. I see them going guard, possibly PG, in case Bird does miss any amount of games this season. There's also the possibility they can only carry 11.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/30/20 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe Seattle can afford 12 players even if the 12th player is the #11 pick

I can't remember what Washington's cap space is like but if they have room how about

Langhorne for the #12 pick

Seattle
Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/#12 (Pivec, Charles, Cooper, Dangerfield (obviously as the 3rd pg)
Clark/Tuck
Stewart/Magbegor/#11 (Mompremier, Gillespie, Alarie or Holmes)
Howard/Russell

Wash
Cloud/Mitchell
Atkins/SWK/Leslie
Powers/Hines-Allen
EDD/Messeman/Langhorne
Sanders/Hawkins

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few thoughts:

1. Magbegor has to prove she can play at this level, and Langhorne has to prove she can still play at this level. Additionally, neither have guaranteed contracts. If the BPA at #11 is a post, taking that player may put the pressure on each of them to perform well in camp (assuming the W gets to have one this year, of course) which hopefully brings out the best in each other.

2. We have the #11 and the #19. Because both are cuttable, there’s a chance that the #19 outshines the #11 and/who could also be her direct roster spot competition, where she earns a spot above those one or two players. If the BPA at #11 is a forward, it’s likely that we pick a guard at #19, and vice versa - especially since Prince still has to earn herself a spot as well. So a rookie guard may find herself on our final roster anyway. The Storm’s pretty balanced as it is, position-wise. However, we on this board might all be able to agree that good forwards tend to be less available than good guards as the Draft goes into the two later rounds.

3. The option of cutting Langhorne, “sneaking” her through waivers, and signing her for cheap(er) in order to get the roster numbers to work is always a possibility. If we cut her and another team picks her & her $100k-per-year-for-two-years up off waivers, or even if she signs for cheap elsewhere, more power to them. We’ll still have Russell, Magbegor, and Tuck as back-up post options at least - even if we don’t draft a single post player in the draft - on top of other moving parts that’ll be on the waiver wire. I’d love to trade Langhorne for even a third-rounder; and she still might get traded, but I’m not counting on it at this point - especially not for the #12 (I’d be doing backflips if that were to happen though!).

4. Though we’re in win-now mode with Stewie in particular back, there always should be an eye on the future from time to time, but especially when it comes to draft picks that won’t be getting much playing time in their first year. Like I said, I don’t think there will be any good post prospects in the 2021 Draft after that draft’s Top-4 are selected, and by 2021, we might not be able to afford Howard. It would be an astute move to pick a post player on the off-chance that she’ll need to step up in her second year. Star guards seem to be easier to replace than star posts, let alone superstar ones. Granted, this is much more of a raw opinion/prediction of mine based minimally on facts.

Last edited by Stormeo on 03/31/20 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/30/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
3. The option of cutting Langhorne, “sneaking” her through waivers, and signing her for cheap(er) in order to get the roster numbers to work is always a possibility.

Bear in mind that this is not a common thing. It's in people's minds because Phoenix did it just last year, but good luck remembering the previous time it happened. I'd imagine players don't usually like being told "we'd like to keep you, but because of this cap stuff we screwed up we'll only do it if you take less money".

And just because it's become a tradition to link to my own article at this point, Seattle's cap situation at the bottom: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-wnba-roster-and-salary-cap-breakdowns . They can keep 12 fine, but not the most expensive 12. Which is why there isn't room to keep the current group plus the #11 pick, while cutting/ignoring Magbegor. If Magbegor shows, the only way to make enough room for #11 is for one of the non-guarateed vets - Prince, Langhorne, Clark or Whitcomb - to be cut.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

crap I keep forgetting about Prince

I don't think #11 is going to make the team

(barring the ldea that there might not be a season this year and so building towards next year, if there is a shortened season combined with the postponement of the Olympics Seattle is in a good place to win it all, since they are basically bringing back last's year team and adding in Stewat and Bird who played with the team the year before when they won the ship. Also Stewart, Bird and anyone who might be a little banged up is going to get a lot of extra time to heal. Prince is seasoned enough now to find a way to fit in a Magbegor is basically going to be this year's rookie unless she looses out to the draft pick so

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/Prince
Clark/Tuck
Stewart/Langhorne/Magbegor
Howard/Russell

I think #11 will compete but if there is a season I would rather have Prince and Langhorne on the bench I can't imagine Clark or Whitcomb getting cut.

Whose spot should #11 get?

I wonder if Seattle would be willing to trade #11 for future consideration.

Does Vegas still have it's 2021 pick I could see Vegas swapping that for a late round pick this year.

or maybe Washington offers its 2021 first round pick for Langhorne

I'm sure both Washington and Vegas should have late round picks in 2021 so it might be worth for either team to swap out to be better for this year if there is a this year

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/20 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Bear in mind that this is not a common thing. It's in people's minds because Phoenix did it just last year, but good luck remembering the previous time it happened. I'd imagine players don't usually like being told "we'd like to keep you, but because of this cap stuff we screwed up we'll only do it if you take less money".

And just because it's become a tradition to link to my own article at this point, Seattle's cap situation at the bottom: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-wnba-roster-and-salary-cap-breakdowns . They can keep 12 fine, but not the most expensive 12. Which is why there isn't room to keep the current group plus the #11 pick, while cutting/ignoring Magbegor. If Magbegor shows, the only way to make enough room for #11 is for one of the non-guarateed vets - Prince, Langhorne, Clark or Whitcomb - to be cut.

It happened with Leilani Mitchell in Phoenix last year like you said, and it happened with Swin Cash in New York one of the years earlier in the past decade (edit: it happened in her last season in the W, 2016, which was even more recent than I thought - thanks for the good luck Wink ). So that’s enough precedent for me to put it out there as a possibility - especially if Langhorne really likes the Storm organization and she thinks it’s her clear-cut best option to continue her W career at this point, both of which might be the case. Like with Mitchell & Cash, the caveat is she may have to be a free agent aka not get paid for the first few games. I suppose we could also do the same thing with Prince, though you’re right, we seemed to have really messed with ourselves when Prince was signed to the dollar amount she was signed to. Still don’t know what that’s about, but there’s at least room/time to rectify the seemingly self-inflicted cap situation. Again, it wouldn’t be huge losses for the team if neither Prince nor Langhorne made the roster, as that will have meant that enough young players that were competing against them for spots had proven themselves to be better options. Or, that’ll have meant that everyone in this scenario (Prince, Langhorne, and the rookies) had gotten cut and we chose to go all in on the waiver wire. Twisted Evil

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Hughes, Storm hope practices pay off during WNBA draft altered by coronavirus outbreak, from The Seattle Times

Quote:
“When you draft 11th, you’ve got to be open-minded to the best player that might fit into your culture,” Hughes said. “If we were drafting a little higher, we could be more selective (by position). Some perimeter depth would make sense in our situation. At 11, if somebody is there that we value and they happen to be a post player, you’ve got to look at that, too.”

So we're basically gonna default to a perimeter player unless someone like Hebard magically drops to 11 (she won't). Langhorne's far less likely to get cut than Prince at this point. If we go PG, I still want Pivec due to her positional versatility, but Cooper/Harris/Dangerfield at 11 wouldn't be terrible. Otherwise, K. Charles, Willoughby, or Odom as SF options would work, too. Honestly, as long as it's not Laksa at 11, I'll probably be able to live with whoever it is. Laksa in the third round would be marginally more ideal, but until Whitcomb's off the team, we just don't need another shooter who doesn't seem to do anything else. We just traded one away, for goodness sakes. Rolling Eyes

Also, imo it's nice to see Jayda Evans covering the Storm again for the Times. Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/20 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
crap I keep forgetting about Prince

I don't think #11 is going to make the team

(barring the ldea that there might not be a season this year and so building towards next year, if there is a shortened season combined with the postponement of the Olympics Seattle is in a good place to win it all, since they are basically bringing back last's year team and adding in Stewat and Bird who played with the team the year before when they won the ship. Also Stewart, Bird and anyone who might be a little banged up is going to get a lot of extra time to heal. Prince is seasoned enough now to find a way to fit in a Magbegor is basically going to be this year's rookie unless she looses out to the draft pick so

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/Prince
Clark/Tuck
Stewart/Langhorne/Magbegor
Howard/Russell

I think #11 will compete but if there is a season I would rather have Prince and Langhorne on the bench I can't imagine Clark or Whitcomb getting cut.

Whose spot should #11 get?

I wonder if Seattle would be willing to trade #11 for future consideration.

Does Vegas still have it's 2021 pick I could see Vegas swapping that for a late round pick this year.

or maybe Washington offers its 2021 first round pick for Langhorne

I'm sure both Washington and Vegas should have late round picks in 2021 so it might be worth for either team to swap out to be better for this year if there is a this year

Prince's contract isn't guaranteed.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Honestly, as long as it's not Laksa at 11,

🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃

toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STORM 2020

PG: Bird/Canada
SG: Loyd/Whitcomb/Prince/Gorecki
SF: Clark/Tuck/Laksa/Holmes
PF: Stewart/Langhorne/Magbegor
C: Howard/Russell

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Honestly, as long as it's not Laksa at 11,

🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃

Damn those mocks with her rising were right 😂😭

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
STORM 2020

SF: Clark/Tuck/Laksa/Holmes

We can’t even keep Langhorne, Prince, and Magbegor without going over the cap. At this point, we should just go with 11 and keep an eye on the waiver wire. I don’t mind Holmes or Gorecki, but they have virtually no shot this year.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laksa isn't showing up until 2021.

https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1251330717683834880

toad455 wrote:
STORM 2020

SF: Clark/Tuck/Holmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: