RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 6054



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
RD, you are welcome to your OPINION. However, Texas has also not lived up to expectations, as many on here will agree, so I don't think it's just me, and I've seen many others criticize Karen Aston as a coach. (I happen to like her, although I'd like to see Texas have better outcomes.) I also stand by my statement that being a good player does not necessarily translate into becoming a good coach. I have seen many good players over the years, both male and female, fail at coaching or simply be mediocre coaches. So your OPINION is just that, your OPINION. I daresay you have made your own embarrassing statements in the past but I'm not going to assassinate your character although you seem to delight in doing that to others.


I think Atkins is a good example. She has been significantly better in the WNBA than she was at Texas. Not saying Joyner will for sure have similar results, but I think things like this are important to note.


Atkins played and was coached very well at Texas and was drafted in the first round of the WNBA Draft because of it. Play depends upon your team's composition of players and the role one must play to make the team as successful as it can be. She did that at Texas. She's always played up to her capabilities.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26601



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with RD here. Atkins was IMO quite impressive in college. She flew a bit under the radar in the minds of most here, but her success in the W is not really a surprise.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10421



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If any program could be accused on consistent underachieving at the pro level, it would be Tennessee. Shyra Ely is one name that pops to mind, as she never had to learn to do anything but go left at Tennessee, so spent time overseas rounding out her game.

That's not to say Tennessee players haven't been very good at the WNBA level -- more that they weren't quite as prepared as some from other programs.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12912
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
RD, you are welcome to your OPINION. However, Texas has also not lived up to expectations, as many on here will agree, so I don't think it's just me, and I've seen many others criticize Karen Aston as a coach. (I happen to like her, although I'd like to see Texas have better outcomes.) I also stand by my statement that being a good player does not necessarily translate into becoming a good coach. I have seen many good players over the years, both male and female, fail at coaching or simply be mediocre coaches. So your OPINION is just that, your OPINION. I daresay you have made your own embarrassing statements in the past but I'm not going to assassinate your character although you seem to delight in doing that to others.


I think Atkins is a good example. She has been significantly better in the WNBA than she was at Texas. Not saying Joyner will for sure have similar results, but I think things like this are important to note.


BAD example, imo.... Razz Atkins was a studlette in college. Of course she's gotten better as a pro, but then....so has Taurasi, Fowles, Delle Donne, etc. Joyner has had her own set of obstacles, and 'growing up' as a pro is one that will make or break her.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26601



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If any program could be accused on consistent underachieving at the pro level, it would be Tennessee. Shyra Ely is one name that pops to mind, as she never had to learn to do anything but go left at Tennessee, so spent time overseas rounding out her game.

That's not to say Tennessee players haven't been very good at the WNBA level -- more that they weren't quite as prepared as some from other programs.


you have a point. But I'm thinking it's largely because for years, Tenn relied on athleticism practically to the exclusion of actual skill. They tended to be faster and bigger and better at the press so forced a lot of turnovers and runouts rather than playing half court. But of course they've had some pretty good players - like Parker and Lawson - come out.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12912
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If any program could be accused on consistent underachieving at the pro level, it would be Tennessee. Shyra Ely is one name that pops to mind, as she never had to learn to do anything but go left at Tennessee, so spent time overseas rounding out her game.

That's not to say Tennessee players haven't been very good at the WNBA level -- more that they weren't quite as prepared as some from other programs.


you have a point. But I'm thinking it's largely because for years, Tenn relied on athleticism practically to the exclusion of actual skill. They tended to be faster and bigger and better at the press so forced a lot of turnovers and runouts rather than playing half court. But of course they've had some pretty good players - like Parker and Lawson - come out.


If "pretty good" is your standard, then we can add significantly to that list: Chamique, Tamika, Mercedes, Shekkina, Michelle Snow....TN has a fair legacy there.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 744



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:47 pm    ::: Re: Walker named first team All-American by AP Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Speebs56"]Is anyone else surprised by this?

Shocked[/quote]

Nobody I know was surprised, probably known since start of season. I saw too what SDHoops was referring too.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin