RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HEADS UP! Or, What’s on TV during a pandemic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/09/20 3:35 pm    ::: HEADS UP! Or, What’s on TV during a pandemic? Reply Reply with quote

So this is weird. I’m going through my higher channels looking for old movies. Finding none because I don’t have TMC with my cable package. But low and behold I find this. LOVE this old incredibly atmospheric British movie.

The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas. (1957) Peter Cushing, Maureen Connell, Forest Tucker.

FXM 3AM Eastern, 12AM Pacific.

If you are up at 3AM tonight, lol, which is the PERFECT time to watch this thing, and you’ve never seen it, I envy you. That’s the exact time I watched it for the first time about 12 years ago. So do yourself a favor. Otherwise, record it and save it for a very late night viewing. Saturday afternoon would be good, too, but I guess every afternoon is Saturday afternoon now. Anyway.

Okay on with suggesting your modern streaming tiger shit. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/09/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe frameborder="0" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x18tlzk" allowfullscreen allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/09/20 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the one. Don't know why it's listed as "of the Himalayas" on TV. That music during the credits, tho. Eeek. Atmospheric.

PostPosted: 04/09/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love that movie.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/20 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
That's the one. Don't know why it's listed as "of the Himalayas" on TV. That music during the credits, tho. Eeek. Atmospheric.

It's the US version, which has a slightly shorter run time

PostPosted: 04/10/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This FXM showing is by far the highest quality copy I’ve seen. They also have done what ME-TV does which is crop this old shit to widescreen. I actually can deal with that as long as the quality isn’t too degraded. Anyway.

PostPosted: 04/10/20 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
This FXM showing is by far the highest quality copy I’ve seen. They also have done what ME-TV does which is crop this old shit to widescreen. I actually can deal with that as long as the quality isn’t too degraded. Anyway.

This one was actually filmed in CinemaScope, so it shouldn't need cropping

PostPosted: 04/10/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

This one was actually filmed in CinemaScope, so it shouldn't need cropping

Wow. That would amazing to see. Yeah this one is the only visually good one I’ve seen but I don’t think it’s a straight up print from CinemaScope.

PostPosted: 04/11/20 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's weird. Credits are in full wide screen CinemaScope. And then the first outdoor scenes. And then when they go to the first inside scene it's a crop from there on. I don't know what the fuck people are doing or thinking. I guess they think people won't watch if there's the black bands on the bottom and top.

PostPosted: 04/11/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This site seems to have the whole movie in wide screen. Make sure you have an antivirus program installed. Some of these movie sites have a lot of hinky stuff. I'm going to watch it later today.

https://yesmovies.ag/movie/the-abominable-snowman-14992/1-1/watching.html
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/12/20 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This site seems to have the whole movie in wide screen. Make sure you have an antivirus program installed. Some of these movie sites have a lot of hinky stuff. I'm going to watch it later today.

Website blocked due to trojan. It's a good movie. But it's not that good. Wink

PostPosted: 04/12/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've found two excellent documentary series on Smithsonian (On Demand):
Mystery Files and Catching Killers.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/12/20 5:23 pm    ::: Re: HEADS UP! Or, What’s on TV during a pandemic? Reply Reply with quote

"The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas"....?

I remember watching that movie in my youth!!! Very Happy Razz

jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay on with suggesting your modern streaming tiger shit. Rolling Eyes

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! I'd heard enough about "Tiger King" to pique my interest, so I tried. One episode. Exactly one too many.

The story isn't remotely about tigers, but about the hellishly grotesque cult of personality that seems as rampant as Covid 19 these days. [See: Trump] With the twist of animal abuse. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 04/12/20 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad it’s not just me, Howee. Tried. But couldn’t hang with it.

PostPosted: 04/13/20 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Tiger King was decent car crash TV.
Gave the yetis a shot tonight. Short & sweet. A little clunky but I liked the premise.

I'm a couple of episodes into Devs and enjoying that so far.

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This virus is killing everything. All we can do is watch TV, but they can't produce anything. American Idol and The Voice are going to have to forego the live shows and other shows are not in production. And even though we are all watching, the TV ad revenue is down because no one can go out and spend money on some of what they would advertise.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/13/20 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
This virus is killing everything. All we can do is watch TV, but they can't produce anything. American Idol and The Voice are going to have to forego the live shows and other shows are not in production. And even though we are all watching, the TV ad revenue is down because no one can go out and spend money on some of what they would advertise.

Some Summer TV shows have been filmed, but come the Fall there will be nothing but reruns. We might see some reality TV shows and game shows that can be taped & edited rather quickly, but don't really expect anything new come September.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 04/13/20 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/13/20 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Cable television is pretty worthless except for a very few shows I specifically follow, and I've been watching TCM lately because they have a lot of movies I haven't seen before. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Roku also has some free channels and about 20% of that gets my interest. I'm thinking about spending another $5/mo for Acorn or BritBox vs breaking out my complete set of The X-Files episodes on DVD.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Website blocked due to trojan. It's a good movie. But it's not that good. Wink

I've not had problems with that site, and watched the entire movie in all its widescreen Hammervision glory, which I'd never heard of.

It reminded my of so many 1950's science fiction, horror and monster movies we'd see at the Ritz theater on Saturday matinees. For 25 cents you'd get a double feature and 10 cartoons. The second feature was frequently a western starring Randolph Scott. A bag of popcorn was ten cents as was a coke. So for 45 cents it was a great afternoon for kids. No travel cost, as we all walked the mile or so to the Ritz.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/13/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll check that site on my Mac. My anti-virus stuff flipped out on my Windows laptop.

PostPosted: 04/13/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I've not had problems with that site, and watched the entire movie in all its widescreen Hammervision glory, which I'd never heard of.

The CinemaScope title was only used for color films. Black & White films used the title RegalScope. Non-American films using the anamorphic lenses had to use other names for the process to avoid 20th Century Fox trademarks. Hammervision was the name used by Hammer Studios.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: