RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/04/20 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I've loved watching Sue Bird her whole career, but I pray she retires gracefully after this season.

Why? If she's still playing well.

She didn't look like a player that needed to retire the last time she played...

This generation of stars just has longevity. (And it goes beyond WNBA players)

She was still playing well enough for the WNBA, with respect to a spot on the USA Olympic team not hardly. From what I observed there are many other players at this time that are better than her. If she made the team it would just be because of charity and she should be ashamed to get her spot that way. Although for some reason I doubt she would acknowledge she is not good enough anymore. As with respect to her public comment about her drinking at Uconn she doesn't seem concerned about consequence to others but rather seems self absorbed.

PostPosted: 04/09/20 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-instagram-lives-20200409-20200409-lb2ug6yzx5ho5bm7yduvk6kzpy-story.html

Quote:
"I mean, it’s a year away. So much can happen in an athlete’s life in a year,” Bird said. “The way I feel about it is if I’m in good health, I’m still at the top of my game, playing at an elite level and USA Basketball calls me and is like, ‘Hey, you want to do this?’ Of course I’m going to do it. You’ve got to take care of what you can and then once you get to that point, you’ll know.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/10/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"As with respect to her public comment about her drinking at UConn she doesn't seem concerned about consequence to others but rather seems self absorbed."

Where and when was this said? I must have missed it.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/12/20 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
"As with respect to her public comment about her drinking at UConn she doesn't seem concerned about the consequence to others but rather seems self-absorbed."

Someone posted a video on twitter where she brags that UConn seemed to recruit players for their drinking prowess in that UConn grads can drink Can anyone under the table... She commented on how much they partied at UConn. It was just a video posted by a private party, but she knew it ass being recorded and should have been more discreet since it presented less than a glowing image of UConn. You really have to watch it your self to get a real perspective.

PostPosted: 04/12/20 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
"As with respect to her public comment about her drinking at UConn she doesn't seem concerned about the consequence to others but rather seems self-absorbed."

Someone posted a video on twitter where she brags that UConn seemed to recruit players for their drinking prowess in that UConn grads can drink Can anyone under the table... She commented on how much they partied at UConn. It was just a video posted by a private party, but she knew it ass being recorded and should have been more discreet since it presented less than a glowing image of UConn. You really have to watch it your self to get a real perspective.

It was during last week’s Instagram live show she and Rapinoe are doing each Saturday. The context that started this path was Pinoe getting sick trying to keep up with Sue and Diana Taurasi in vacation.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/12/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if they make Drinking an Olympic Sport, Team USA will be in good shape.

Last edited by Randy on 04/12/20 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/12/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect things have changed somewhat since those old golden days at UConn.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W7_bzshZI3s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/26/20 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching this video it appears that Sue Bird has dumped Megan and hooked up with Roy Orbison? Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/26/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Watching this video it appears that Sue Bird has dumped Megan and hooked up with Roy Orbison? Very Happy

I know who Roy Orbison is thanks to the Golden Girls Laughing Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/20 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina Ionescu has her sights set on the Tokyo Olympics in 2021
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-ducks/sabrina-ionescu-has-her-sights-set-tokyo-olympics-2021

Quote:
At the 2019 Pan American Games, Ionescu told the Olympic Channel she preferred the 3x3 to the 5x5 if she had to choose.

Now that Ionescu has an extra year until the Olympics and a year competing against the WNBA’s top talent, she could be available for more national team activities this upcoming fall and winter.

Ionescu could contend for a roster spot at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2021, either on the full national team or the 3x3 version. 3x3 basketball will make its debut in 2021.

“It would be an honor to represent my country in the Olympics. Obviously with a year, now being pushed back now, I’ll just be able to prepare myself at an even higher level playing against the top players in the country.”

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/14/20 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had her on the senior team then thought 3x3 but the extra year makes sense for her to jump to the main team if they see her as viable National team member for the next decade

Bird/Gray/Ionescu
DT/SDS
EDD/?
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

Now for that last spot, there is time for Moore to get back in the mix if that is what she wants, if there is any 2020 season McCoughtry will have a chance to prove herself healthy and ready and the future options of Collier or Deshields will have another pro season to develop and work their way up the ladder

miller40

PostPosted: 05/14/20 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi keeps saying she won’t lose sleep if she doesn’t make it to her fifth Olympics.

She very obviously hasn’t been at Team USA shape throughout the latter half of this cycle.

So if she’s not spouting BS, why doesn’t she gracefully bow out?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/14/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Taurasi keeps saying she won’t lose sleep if she doesn’t make it to her fifth Olympics.

She very obviously hasn’t been at Team USA shape throughout the latter half of this cycle.

So if she’s not spouting BS, why doesn’t she gracefully bow out?

Because she's Gumby dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNKL9MMbjNg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uNKL9MMbjNg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/14/20 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A competitive basketball player who keeps getting invited to USA camps isn’t just going to “gracefully” bow out. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/15/20 3:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think her recent endeavor on the team sort of revealed the reality that she was no longer the player she once was. Her statement of not losing sleep if she is not chosen is just an example of her preparing for a likely possibility that before this year was unthinkable. Bird should also smell the coffee.

PostPosted: 05/15/20 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I think her recent endeavor on the team sort of revealed the reality that she was no longer the player she once was. Her statement of not losing sleep if she is not chosen is just an example of her preparing for a likely possibility that before this year was unthinkable. Bird should also smell the coffee.

Given the uncertain future of even the Olympics, perhaps it will turn into a virtual drinking contest. In that case,Taurasi and Bird will stagger off with the gold.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/22/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina Ionescu? Maya Moore? U.S. women’s basketball team faces Olympic roster unknowns

Quote:
Callan calls the selection process “a long-running movie.” Sure, a player’s most recent performances can be the climax, but the plot can date back years, to the college stage and past Olympics.

“Now we’re all sitting back going, OK, are we going to have a 2020 WNBA season to be able to watch players?” Callan said. “If not, then what? How will we put together some training next year? There’s so much unknown and uncertain right now, we’re all trying to figure it out together.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/sabrina-ionescu-maya-moore-u-143032945.html

PostPosted: 05/22/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no, they might just have to chuck together 12 of the best 15 players on the planet at the last minute and hope for the best.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Oh no, they might just have to chuck together 12 of the best 15 players on the planet at the last minute and hope for the best.

Are there three better international players than the 12th-best American player?

Or is that just acknowledgement that they aren't taking the 12 best American players?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/22/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth Cambage, Emma Meeseman, and Satou Sabally.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/22/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m including Satou primarily since she torched Team USA for a mere 25 points in the stunning upset. She belongs

Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s too early to project Moore’s 2021 plans, her agent said this week. Callan said she had positive conversations with Moore when she first decided to take a year off in 2019, then again in February after she decided she would not play in 2020.

“We’d be happy to hear from her one way or the other,” Callan said. “But I do think, if you want to be an Olympian, you have to play basketball at some point leading up to it. You can’t just say, OK, next year, March, I’m ready to play again. That’s tough. Not just tough to make a team, but it’s just tough to be a basketball player.

“So, playing basketball is huge. However, if she can do all of that, we’re open to our best players wanting to play on our Olympic team, and we would certainly welcome her back into our national team pool and then go from there.”

pilight

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Jonquel Jones?

PostPosted: 05/22/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Jonquel Jones?

That works too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 11 of 27

Jump to: