RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The legend of Sabrina Ionescu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/20 10:21 am    ::: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/28878754/the-legend-sabrina-ionescu

PostPosted: 03/18/20 8:19 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Two things stood out to me. Maybe some new these things, but I didn't:

1. She didn't tell anyone where she was going to college, she just showed up. It's insane. And man, she changed two programs. I have to think Mike Neighbors would still be at UW had she gone there.

2. Her WNBA draft status from last year. She decided with 8 minutes left? Also crazy.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/18/20 10:04 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

1. She didn't tell anyone where she was going to college, she just showed up. It's insane. And man, she changed two programs. I have to think Mike Neighbors would still be at UW had she gone there.

2. Her WNBA draft status from last year. She decided with 8 minutes left? Also crazy.

All of that is correct ... and it reflects my own experience.

The day after the lottery, she was at Miramonte, and I told her the Liberty got the first pick. Not only didn't she know what had happened, she didn't even know the lottery had taken place.

Not your typical player ...

PostPosted: 03/18/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay hate on me but do they even test for drugs in college basketball....it runs thru the back of my mind about the "oregon project" and just look at her......her neck is the size of a bull.....

somebody besides my has had to have this in the back of their mind....

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/18/20 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
okay hate on me but do they even test for drugs in college basketball....it runs thru the back of my mind about the "oregon project" and just look at her......her neck is the size of a bull.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/18/20 9:05 pm    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

“Legend” is about right.
These were both orchestrated PR stunts. Sorry, but no way Oregon (and Nike) did not know well in advance that she:
1. Had committed
2. Was returning for her senior season.

Do they really think we’re that stupid? Yeah, they apparently do.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

You might have a little more credibility if you sometimes criticized other schools than Oregon ...

PostPosted: 03/19/20 11:54 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

“Legend” is about right.
These were both orchestrated PR stunts. Sorry, but no way Oregon (and Nike) did not know well in advance that she:
1. Had committed

As mentioned, I know Sabrina somewhat, and I know her coach very well, and I would say that is very, very likely to be a true story.

In my experience, neither Sabrina nor Kelly Sopak, her high school coach, make decisions until the last possible minute.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 3:01 pm    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

“Legend” is about right.
1. Had committed

As mentioned, I know Sabrina somewhat, and I know her coach very well, and I would say that is very, very likely to be a true story.

In my experience, neither Sabrina nor Kelly Sopak, her high school coach, make decisions until the last possible minute.

Ha ha. Nice evasion.

PostPosted: 03/20/20 8:46 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

You might have a little more credibility if you sometimes criticized other schools than Oregon ...
Laughing Laughing

Nahh....prolly not. Laughing If you've ever met Sabrina, you'd notice she's rather unremarkably developed from a muscular standpoint....not remotely 'bulked up'.
osubeavers wrote:
ucbart wrote:

pilight wrote:

“Legend” is about right.
1. Had committed

If you feel obligated to believe THAT, then....maybe you actually ARE. Razz
Defining other people by YOUR experiences and personal motives is both revealing and pointless. Especially when you don't now them personally, and have no genuine insights.

Sabrina has, year after year, gotten better and better; her legendary status is already sealed--she IS one of the all-time greats in the game. I've also noticed how the haters' criticisms have changed over the years: First, she was a "chucker". Then she had an "attitude". Blah Blah. Nothing really stuck, except in the smallest and narrowest of minds. Her all-around game AND especially her stellar leadership have only grown stronger.

She already IS a Legend. With more to come. Cool

PostPosted: 03/20/20 10:01 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:
elsie wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Nahh....prolly not. Laughing If you've ever met Sabrina, you'd notice she's rather unremarkably developed from a muscular standpoint....not remotely 'bulked up'.
osubeavers wrote:
ucbart wrote:

pilight wrote:

“Legend” is about right.
1. Had committed

If you feel obligated to believe THAT, then....maybe you actually ARE. Razz
Defining other people by YOUR experiences and personal motives is both revealing and pointless. Especially when you don't now them personally, and have no genuine insights.

Sabrina has, year after year, gotten better and better; her legendary status is already sealed--she IS one of the all-time greats in the game. I've also noticed how the haters' criticisms have changed over the years: First, she was a "chucker". Then she had an "attitude". Blah Blah. Nothing really stuck, except in the smallest and narrowest of minds. Her all-around game AND especially her stellar leadership have only grown stronger.

She already IS a Legend. With more to come. Cool

She is a unique and exceptional talent on the court and I look forward to seeing what she makes of her WNBA career.

PostPosted: 03/20/20 11:47 am    ::: Re: The legend of Sabrina Ionescu Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Ha ha. Nice evasion.

Evasion? I didn't talk to her directly about where she was going to go, but I had a pretty good feel of what was happening. Since I don't know 100%, I won't go there, but everything I know about her and the situation leads me to believe that is a true story.

Do you have any evidence to contrary, or is this just Civil War bad blood?

PostPosted: 03/20/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Legend" connotes an element of myth or unverifiability.

I have no factual knowledge, but I instinctively don't believe that Sabrina didn't know where she wanted to go to college until she got into the car with her father. I can believe she told no one.

On the other hand, I can certainly believe the decisional agony about staying or not for a fourth year under the sudden deadline that the WNBA draft imposes. Had Oregon won the NC, she surely should would have entered the draft. But once they go knocked out, she only had a very short time to make that difficult decision.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/24/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What she accomplished at Oregon is pretty spectacular. Reminds me of what Skylar Diggins did to Notre Dame in recent years.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/25/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being a lifelong Husky that'll never e v e r root for the success of Oregon's athletic programs, even I don't have the energy to contest Ionescu's legend status; despite knowing that things surely would be a LOT different for each of UW, Oregon, the Pac-12 WBB landscape, and Ionescu herself had she chose UW instead of Oregon. I am content with all that she accomplished at Oregon, knowing that Oregon still never won a National Championship as a result of it. Mr. Green She and Kelsey Plum still have the same number of Final-4 Appearances to their respective names! Razz (though Oregon's program will surely pass up UW's in that category in the coming years... but I'll cry about it when it actually happens)

I do have one question I'll add on to this post that the article doesn't help answer: Didn't her twin brother Eddy try to walk-on at Oregon MBB from the get-go as a freshman before they started college? If so, wouldn't that have been the real tiebreaker as to which school Sabrina was gonna choose? Unless Eddy's timeline for picking a school was just as muddy as Sabrina's was.

It's very possible I'm remembering stuff incorrectly, and even if I'm right it really doesn't matter at this point lol. She deserves all the praise & coverage she gets, and I'd be happy to see her win some 'ships with the New York Liberty (as long as it's not at the expense of my Storm Wink ).

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/26/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eddy Ionescu had academic issues so he wound up at City College of San Francisco.

He has since moved to Oregon and lived with Sabrina this past year.

PostPosted: 04/02/20 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The legend grew bigger when Sabrina won the Wade Trophy for a second straight year

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28986529/oregon-sabrina-ionescu-wins-wade-trophy-2nd

elsie

PostPosted: 04/03/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll work on that.......

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/03/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina should be playing right now on ESPN in the Final Four Sad

Howee

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andddd.....it appears to be a complete collection of the 'legend' awards: She's snagged the final collegiate award.

May she live long, and prosper both on and off the court. Very Happy

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/20 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta love sports.

Points scored, National Championship game, career:

Brianna Pulido, UCONN: 2
Sabrina Ionescu, OREGON: 0

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t6dwZc6Snwg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 04/07/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Gotta love sports.

There is no doubt that Pulido contributed more to her team's winning than Ionescu ever did.
Ionescu, I believe, is the only player to win National Player of the Year despite her team not even making the NCAA Tournament. At least I'm glad Minnesota is no longer the only school in history pathetic enough to have an AP 1st Team All-American and miss the NCAA Tournament.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/07/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Gotta love sports.

There is no doubt that Pulido contributed more to her team's winning than Ionescu ever did.
Ionescu, I believe, is the only player to win National Player of the Year despite her team not even making the NCAA Tournament. At least I'm glad Minnesota is no longer the only school in history pathetic enough to have an AP 1st Team All-American and miss the NCAA Tournament.

Cheekiness aside, what did Banham do to piss off karma. The year she was hurt and the Gophers road the Zuhai B train into the tourney was tragic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: