RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Eligibility Extensions Being Explored by NCAA

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3495
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 3:01 pm    ::: Eligibility Extensions Being Explored by NCAA Reply Reply with quote

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2020/03/13/oh-my-awesome-ncaa-calls-spring-sports-athletes-get-extra-year-eligibility/5043334002/

Quote:
It might not be game over for college seniors, after all.

The NCAA on Friday sent a memo to all member institutions saying it is recommending a waiver for at least spring-sports athletes, in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic that has essentially cancelled all sports domestically for the foreseeable future.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5926
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spring sport, I can see that. Basketball, no way unless they were either injured for most of the season, redshirted, or probably going to apply for a redshirt. Take a seat, Geno.

Most of the female players will graduate and go on to careers, either in the W, in foreign countries, or in the non-playing world. For the guys, well, it might encourage some of the hitherto one-and-dones to stay on another year and either perfect their skills or actually LEARN something.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand the *practicality* of that. What I wish they MIGHT consider is just POSTPONING the NCAA tourney....do it as "May Madness". FINISH THE BUSINESS!!!!



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3885
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I don't understand the *practicality* of that. What I wish they MIGHT consider is just POSTPONING the NCAA tourney....do it as "May Madness". FINISH THE BUSINESS!!!!

I concur with the above statement.



_________________
I am .... a bucket.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26974



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Howee wrote:
I don't understand the *practicality* of that. What I wish they MIGHT consider is just POSTPONING the NCAA tourney....do it as "May Madness". FINISH THE BUSINESS!!!!

I concur with the above statement.


every once in awhile I can agree with Howee.

Not too often or he starts acting like he is the greatest mind on the planet (and we all know POTus has him beat, at least in his own mind)

The problem of course, is that we have no idea how long the emergency will last.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the things that bolsters my thinking is a friend who lives in the Korean city where the coronavirus first broke out. I just spoke with him 2 days ago, and yes, he honored the in-home quarantine. BUT....even with all their cases, HE still doesn't know anyone personally who has tested positive for it--and by now, they are all resuming some level of normalcy.

The athletes are probably among the very LEAST apt to be seriously ill from acquiring the virus. And how many this season fought off the flu? It just seems to be utterly premature to totally cancel such a major event when 2 or 3 weeks might see a big difference. JMO.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way should basketball seniors be granted an eligibility extension.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4417
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand the cancellation. It certainly isn't a good alternative but it may very well have been the best given both the growth of the virus and the time that will be needed for mitigation. That is made more necessary given the lack of any reasonable response from the Federal government.

I am myself self-quarantining after my trip to Las Vegas. I fell ill about 36 hours after I returned home. I initially wasn't concerned because I had no respiratory distress. I had a bad cough and a fever, and had aches and pains all over. A few days on my fever has gone away (or is significantly better) but the cough continues and I have developed somewhat of a runny nose. More concerning, I have developed a wheeze, and while I wouldn't say that I am having trouble breathing it is a day by day process.

The biggest concern for me is that I can't get tested. I am able, with the help of some friends, to self quarantine. I still think my chance of having the virus is maybe 30% but being able to get tested would ease my concern and also help me to figure out how to deal with this. Even just the idea of having a central repository which would help to see if any other people who attended the Mountain West, Pac 12 or WCC tournaments have similar systems would help.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I can understand the cancellation. It certainly isn't a good alternative but it may very well have been the best given both the growth of the virus and the time that will be needed for mitigation. That is made more necessary given the lack of any reasonable response from the Federal government.

I am myself self-quarantining after my trip to Las Vegas. I fell ill about 36 hours after I returned home. I initially wasn't concerned because I had no respiratory distress. I had a bad cough and a fever, and had aches and pains all over. A few days on my fever has gone away (or is significantly better) but the cough continues and I have developed somewhat of a runny nose. More concerning, I have developed a wheeze, and while I wouldn't say that I am having trouble breathing it is a day by day process.

The biggest concern for me is that I can't get tested. I am able, with the help of some friends, to self quarantine. I still think my chance of having the virus is maybe 30% but being able to get tested would ease my concern and also help me to figure out how to deal with this. Even just the idea of having a central repository which would help to see if any other people who attended the Mountain West, Pac 12 or WCC tournaments have similar systems would help.


30%? You have what seem to be the "classic" symptoms, according to the CDC.

I'd be very concerned if you're 50+. Good luck!



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
I can understand the cancellation. It certainly isn't a good alternative but it may very well have been the best given both the growth of the virus and the time that will be needed for mitigation. That is made more necessary given the lack of any reasonable response from the Federal government.

I am myself self-quarantining after my trip to Las Vegas. I fell ill about 36 hours after I returned home. I initially wasn't concerned because I had no respiratory distress. I had a bad cough and a fever, and had aches and pains all over. A few days on my fever has gone away (or is significantly better) but the cough continues and I have developed somewhat of a runny nose. More concerning, I have developed a wheeze, and while I wouldn't say that I am having trouble breathing it is a day by day process.

The biggest concern for me is that I can't get tested. I am able, with the help of some friends, to self quarantine. I still think my chance of having the virus is maybe 30% but being able to get tested would ease my concern and also help me to figure out how to deal with this. Even just the idea of having a central repository which would help to see if any other people who attended the Mountain West, Pac 12 or WCC tournaments have similar systems would help.


30%? You have what seem to be the "classic" symptoms, according to the CDC.

I'd be very concerned if you're 50+. Good luck!


Really! You know your body best, but DO be cautious and proactive. Have you asked your doctor how to proceed? And I seriously doubt you're the only one from that crowd that may have those symptoms....



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4417
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/20 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
I can understand the cancellation. It certainly isn't a good alternative but it may very well have been the best given both the growth of the virus and the time that will be needed for mitigation. That is made more necessary given the lack of any reasonable response from the Federal government.

I am myself self-quarantining after my trip to Las Vegas. I fell ill about 36 hours after I returned home. I initially wasn't concerned because I had no respiratory distress. I had a bad cough and a fever, and had aches and pains all over. A few days on my fever has gone away (or is significantly better) but the cough continues and I have developed somewhat of a runny nose. More concerning, I have developed a wheeze, and while I wouldn't say that I am having trouble breathing it is a day by day process.

The biggest concern for me is that I can't get tested. I am able, with the help of some friends, to self quarantine. I still think my chance of having the virus is maybe 30% but being able to get tested would ease my concern and also help me to figure out how to deal with this. Even just the idea of having a central repository which would help to see if any other people who attended the Mountain West, Pac 12 or WCC tournaments have similar systems would help.


30%? You have what seem to be the "classic" symptoms, according to the CDC.



I'd be very concerned if you're 50+. Good luck!


Unfortunately I am and I have diabetes as well, so I am quite concerned. But at this point my symptoms aren't that bad. If my fever hadn't improved or if I develop more of a problem with my breathing I will be much more concerned. But since there isn't much that can be done except alleviating symptoms and as of today I can't just get a test, I think the best I can do is monitor symptoms and self-quarantine.


elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 195



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/20 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, they'll tell you that even healthy young people can be infected with very mild symptoms and still be carriers to the frail elderly.....

but why not let the kids play in empty gyms?.....test them up the ying yang and then let them play.....

test all the refs, the staff, etc.....if no one has the virus, none can be passed among them....

I wouldn't want to miss the games but I'd gladly stay home if the seniors could finish their careers....


elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 195



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/20 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

after vegas, I've got a sore throat sort of, and a stuffy nose....pretty sure its just a cold but I'm not going out except a quick run to the store today...


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
well, they'll tell you that even healthy young people can be infected with very mild symptoms and still be carriers to the frail elderly.....

but why not let the kids play in empty gyms?.....test them up the ying yang and then let them play.....

test all the refs, the staff, etc.....if no one has the virus, none can be passed among them....

I wouldn't want to miss the games but I'd gladly stay home if the seniors could finish their careers....




Wouldn't testing and then quarantine be necessary before any games are played?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 4417
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am feeling a little better. While I don't know for sure I think it is unlikely that what I have is Covid 19. I am still self quarantined, but I no longer have a fever and mu cough is lessening. If I continue to improve I will go out on Tuesday (with a mask) to get supplies. The biggest frustration is that I can not get a test. I know I am not the only one in this situation and I am able to pretty much remove myself from public interaction, but having a test available would really help.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good to hear! Wink



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26974



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with comparing us to South Korea is that we have a larger % of population who are unwilling to self quarantine and think it's all a bunch of bunk anyway. That certainly is the case around where I live. Personally we're not going out at least for several weeks, but then I have a huge garden and live miles away from anywhere to begin with and can easily work from home so it's no big deal for us. Much harder for lots of other folks.

It starts at the top. Did you watch Trump's emergency news conference? He and 20 other officials and/or heads of companies stood at a podium one after the other and each of them handled the microphone and placed their hands on the podium while they told us about social distancing. And I heard that afterwards Trump shook all their hands. SMH



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5926
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have a case here in Harrisonburg. I'm still going to the SPCA shelter several times a week to walk dogs. It's out in the boonies and hand sanitizer is in liberal supply there. Anyway, someone needs to do it, I need the exercise and the doggies need the love. Otherwise I'm pretty much home. Mr. STB works from home but has to go to the Richmond office weekly which I *don't* like. JMU and all other local colleges and universities (Eastern Mennonite, Bridgewater, Mary Baldwin) are closed for varying periods with classes online. Healthy so far and other than age risk-free, no underlying health problems.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1022



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/20 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Spring sport, I can see that. Basketball, no way unless they were either injured for most of the season, redshirted, or probably going to apply for a redshirt. Take a seat, Geno.

Most of the female players will graduate and go on to careers, either in the W, in foreign countries, or in the non-playing world. For the guys, well, it might encourage some of the hitherto one-and-dones to stay on another year and either perfect their skills or actually LEARN something.

Okay WEIRDO! Geno is not quoted in the article that was posted.....and if you heard his interview, he's lobbying for SPRING sports. What a b-word. Even the late Pat would be ashamed of your disdain..


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5926
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/20 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Spring sport, I can see that. Basketball, no way unless they were either injured for most of the season, redshirted, or probably going to apply for a redshirt. Take a seat, Geno.

Most of the female players will graduate and go on to careers, either in the W, in foreign countries, or in the non-playing world. For the guys, well, it might encourage some of the hitherto one-and-dones to stay on another year and either perfect their skills or actually LEARN something.

Okay WEIRDO! Geno is not quoted in the article that was posted.....and if you heard his interview, he's lobbying for SPRING sports. What a b-word. Even the late Pat would be ashamed of your disdain..


I realize the lack of basketball has people on edge, but do you really have to call people names to make a point?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10034
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/20 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Spring sport, I can see that. Basketball, no way unless they were either injured for most of the season, redshirted, or probably going to apply for a redshirt. Take a seat, Geno.

Most of the female players will graduate and go on to careers, either in the W, in foreign countries, or in the non-playing world. For the guys, well, it might encourage some of the hitherto one-and-dones to stay on another year and either perfect their skills or actually LEARN something.

Okay WEIRDO! Geno is not quoted in the article that was posted.....and if you heard his interview, he's lobbying for SPRING sports. What a b-word. Even the late Pat would be ashamed of your disdain..


I realize the lack of basketball has people on edge, but do you really have to call people names to make a point?


What did summertime say wrong Laughing Laughing Geez what a wild reply



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 195



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/20 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's no cure for the covid....if you get really sick, they'll give you some meds in the hospital to alleviate symptoms....

although, I've read that they are using some off label meds are seem to work....


NFL1



Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 130
Location: Ithaca, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/20 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
No way should basketball seniors be granted an eligibility extension.

I agree, they played a whole season...now for spring athletes I agree completely. If the tourney could be postponed to May, even if still played without big crowds I am ALL for that!! It'd be tough for the thousands of us who travel for it each year to get tickets and go...but I am really really missing our March entertainment - with everyone at their peak!


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6232



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so all spring sport athletes get another season of eligibility. I'm assuming that means that they have to do the fall semester and make the grades. This could be an expensive season if the school doesn't pick up the scholarship.

Quote:
All NCAA Division I athletes in spring sports will be given an extra season of eligibility to make up for the one that was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the association announced Monday.

But the decision by the NCAA Division I Council, which handles day-to-day rules making for the association’s top-level schools, will allow those schools to determine how much scholarship aid to give next year to athletes who were in what would have been their final season of eligibility.

That means such an athlete could be offered a place on the team, but $0 in athletic scholarship money.


Quote:
Athletes in winter sports will not get an additional season of eligibility, the Council decided


https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/03/30/coronovirus-ncaa-grant-spring-sports-athletes-extra-eligibility/5090362002/



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2475
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, this is gonna be very interesting to watch, especially in the sport of baseball where MLB has already said they are shortening the draft, potentially to only 5 rounds. That means more juniors (draft eligible) will be staying in school in addition to any seniors. I can't imagine the roster issues that this could create.

But, on the other side, I wonder what this will do to the grad transfer market. I mean, let's say I'm a graduating senior at Delaware and I'm a pretty good player but the coach can't really give me all the scholarship money he wants because he may lose a couple of the young freshmen that are coming in, I'm looking to spend my last year elsewhere. However, I contact schools that may be a little bigger and am told they are having a roster crunch and not looking to take on any grad transfers at the moment. What do I do? Pay my own way at Delaware? Look to get academic grants/scholarships at a few new schools?

At this date/time, how many grants/scholarships are there still out there where the time to apply hasn't already passed?


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin