54%
 54%  [ 27 ]
Someone else
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 50

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/30/20 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year, other than Arike, Dallas had no big time three point snipers. Their offense was anemic. With the Draft and accessions, they could have a firing squad.

Arike
Jefferson
Walker
Sabally
Cooper
KL Samuelson
Dangerfield

If Dallas took Cox instead of Sabally, they still have a firing squad. Now with Imani gone, it looks like it's Cox.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/30/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Was it you or someone else that kept posting this statement about the Sky last season?

Me, me, me, me, me.

Rock Hard wrote:
One more question how did you put that # NAPT above your avatar photo? Very Happy

I didn’t do it, had to have been Luuuc. Cool

PostPosted: 03/30/20 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McGee-Stafford not being around isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to whatever Dallas's pick was going to be. A fringe center who might barely have clung on to a roster spot doesn't affect what you do with a #2 overall pick.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
McGee-Stafford not being around isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to whatever Dallas's pick was going to be. A fringe center who might barely have clung on to a roster spot doesn't affect what you do with a #2 overall pick.

I used to believe that IMS had a lot of potential to be a good WNBA player. But when a player gets passed around the league like a cake at a child's birthday party that potential has been unfulfilled. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Pokey finally decided to use her, she exhibited rapid growth with rookie growing pains. We'll never know if, had that developmental phase continued, her growth would have continued. It was clear (at least to me) that others didn't seem to know how to guide and utilize her. I wish her well.

BTW, what is #NAPT? I looked it up and didn't see an obvious fit.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

IMS sitting out is nowhere near the level of Maya Moore, Candace Parker or Taurasi sitting out. She was a mediocre bench player who wasn't going to have a long career in the W anyways. Just frees up a roster spot for someone else.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
BTW, what is #NAPT? I looked it up and didn't see an obvious fit.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97878&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=47

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 03/30/20 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had seen the hashtag before but don't know what the acronym stands for and couldn't find a definition. So when Rock Hard asked mavcarter how it got over the avatar, figured that was my opportunity to ask.

Sadly, I agree that Imani's departure has no impact on the draft decisions Dallas has to make.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Was it you or someone else that kept posting this statement about the Sky last season?

Me, me, me, me, me.

Rock Hard wrote:
One more question how did you put that # NAPT above your avatar photo? Very Happy

Probably time I got rid of that trademark, given that it's no longer true.

PostPosted: 03/30/20 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Me, me, me, me, me.

Rock Hard wrote:

Probably time I got rid of that trademark, given that it's no longer true.

Noooooooo, I want to keep it. Mad

PostPosted: 03/30/20 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I think you meant "pick is going to be." Quite a crude and venomous matter of fact statement, are you sure about all of that?. It has to go into the consideration, it cannot simply be completely ignored, regardless of your personal regards for Imani.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/30/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meant exactly what I said, thanks. Whatever it was going to be, is precisely what it still will be. And I happily stand by the statement that the absence of a backup center who's been on three WNBA teams in four years, averaged less than 12mpg and 4ppg last season, and was only signed to a training camp contract in the first place makes absolutely no difference to the pick. So Gustafson or Anigwe or yet another rookie make the end of the bench instead; big difference.

PostPosted: 03/31/20 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Meant exactly what I said, thanks. Whatever it was going to be, is precisely what it still will be. And I happily stand by the statement that the absence of a backup center who's been on three WNBA teams in four years, averaged less than 12mpg and 4ppg last season, and was only signed to a training camp contract in the first place makes absolutely no difference to the pick. So Gustafson or Anigwe or yet another rookie make the end of the bench instead; big difference.

Again, better worded and less venomous but still overboard in stating matter of factly, "absolutely makes no difference." How do you know? Did Dallas consult with you on this subject? It has to have some bearing on the situation. Unintentionally, to avoid an air of arrogance and/or the appearance of slander in your writing, you should use the term, "in my opinion." It's more acceptable.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/31/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"In my opinion" goes without saying ... it's the Internet.

And for what it's worth, I totally agree with Richyyy. IMS has never, at any level, come close to producing at an elite level (even in high school).

PostPosted: 03/31/20 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Because of course, people don’t state opinions as facts on the internet. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/31/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

And for what it's worth, I totally agree with Richyyy. IMS has never, at any level, come close to producing at an elite level (even in high school).

Not the point, her past performances, desire and potential have been previously noted and should be well known. I noted them myself.

These women in the WNBA are the best in the world. They worked and sacrificed their entire lives to accomplish remarkable levels of achievement. They deserve respect.

The point was that you don't have to cowardly denigrate a person on line to satisfy self righteous needs when neither of you two would have the courage to call her a fringe center who will absolutely be given no consideration when considering the #2 Draft pick. She’s a 6’7” Center under contract. Of course Dallas was hoping she’d be motivated. She wasn’t. Neither of you would say it to her face. Yes, I know, on line both of you will say you would. Would you say the same thing to a male player's face? No.

In particular, do either of you know what Imani has gone through in her life to achieve the success she has? Do you know her life story of fighting the debilitation of abuse as a child, suicide attempts and playing through serious physical injuries in college. Did either of you ever look up her achievements in college and the WNBA? Did you know that she was given the Inspiration Award in college and ESPN made an episode on it. Look her up on Wikipedia and see her basketball accomplishments, you might be less callous. To make a difference and achieve in college and the WNBA, one does not always have to be a Candace Parker, Delle Donne, Sylvia Fowles etc. You should respect her decision to step away and her model role as an inspiration to young girls everywhere? And not selfishly tarnish it.

Clay, I'm surprised you agree it's OK to denigrate a woman player. Personally, I think you're just politically pandering Richyy. Why malign her? She has achieved moments of great play and success in college and the WNBA, why would you say she never has when you know better. Look it up, rookie of the year awards, first team Big 12, took Texas to the Sweet 16 etc.

Instead, it should have been simply stated in words to the effect, " I don't think she'll have any bearing on the #2 selection at all." And, if your heart desired. pointed out less callously you’re reasoning without labeling her.

Richyy, I’ve read some of your basketball articles and I thought they were great and well written.

Young girls and other people read what we say on here.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it...

Last edited by RavenDog on 03/31/20 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/31/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. a bit over-sensitive I'd say. And yes, these players that even make a W team are elite and IMS has obviously overcome issues to get there. And the fact that she's going off to law school is truly worth kudos. At the same time, all adults receive criticism and need to learn how to take it without over-reacting. Her place on the team was down toward the end of the bench. It's simply a fact.

- Amanda Gorman
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/31/20 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
wow. a bit over-sensitive I'd say. And yes, these players that even make a W team are elite and IMS has obviously overcome issues to get there. And the fact that she's going off to law school is truly worth kudos. At the same time, all adults receive criticism and need to learn how to take it without over-reacting. Her place on the team was down toward the end of the bench. It's simply a fact.

Your missing the point too. Go back and read it and look her up. It's more than just playing on the floor. She's an inspiration for young girls. Calling her names tarnishes the inspiration.

I have no problem with how you feel about her.

It's not a fact without giving the player an opportunity and it happens. I respect what you're feeling and what you're saying but it's not yet a fact- it's an opinion.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/31/20 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Your missing the point too. Go back and read it and look her up. It's more than just playing on the floor. She's an inspiration for young girls. Calling her names tarnishes the inspiration.

I have no problem with how you feel about her.

It's not a fact without giving the player an opportunity and it happens. I respect what you're feeling and what you're saying but it's not yet a fact- it's an opinion.

I mean this with all due respect, are you a friend of hers? A relative, perhaps?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/01/20 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I had seen the hashtag before but don't know what the acronym stands for and couldn't find a definition. So when Rock Hard asked mavcarter how it got over the avatar, figured that was my opportunity to ask.

Sadly, I agree that Imani's departure has no impact on the draft decisions Dallas has to make.

Mavcarter got the label #NAPT = Not A Playoff Team because every time the Sky lost a game last year he would immediately post this statement. The crying Jordan photo completes the picture. Cool

PostPosted: 04/01/20 2:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Mavcarter got the label #NAPT = Not A Playoff Team because every time the Sky lost a game last year he would immediately post this statement. The crying Jordan photo completes the picture. Cool

Gat damn right. Cool

PostPosted: 04/01/20 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah...thank you!!!! Cool

Now I get it! I didn't make the connection in spite of now looking back at Monday's conversation.

In the context of this board, I knew it couldn't have been:
    Network Address and Port Translation
    National Association for Pupil Transportation
    National Association for Proficiency Testing
    North American Proficiency Testing
    a musical group by that name

So I was Confused Laughing

As a Sky fan, I am so glad it is no longer true, but it was for so long! Sad

Back to IMS, recently someone recently posted that it seemed she was distracted by her many interests. So I am glad she has found something to focus on. It sounds like she plans to return to WBB ("...Imani McGee-Stafford will forego the next two WNBA seasons..."), but it might not happen in light of her league history, discussed at length here. Whatever happens, I wish her much success! Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/01/20 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a journalist -- when there was a lot more journalism -- I used to deal with this a lot, especially at the lower levels. So is it legitimate to criticize a young athlete? Or in the high school arena, should you say which player missed the free throw or turned the ball over in the final seconds?

It's not a simple question. On the one hand, if the player makes the shot and gets the steal, they get praised. Does this mean that only praise is allowed? The stories are only about the positive? There's just a winner and no one ever loses -- though some leave with their heads held high?

So first, the player knows. She knows full well she missed the free throw. Maybe seeing it in the paper makes it sting more, but it happened. It's a fact.

And second, if sports are worth writing about, aren't they worth writing about in a somewhat rigorous manner? Or should journalists set aside any attempt at reporting what happened in order to save the egos and feelings of the players?

Obviously, my answer -- though self-serving -- was that if I am writing about an event, then I will write about the event as a journalist, and say what occurred. Again, obviously, others can disagree.

Once players get to college, they are (in my view) professionals, and now the "shield" of hurt feelings disappears completely, for me. People are paying money to watch you play, and the results are taken seriously. So if a player who was expected to score 12 points and get 5 rebounds a game averages 6 and 3, criticism will follow.

So is that criticism "name-calling"? My point about IMS is that she has never performed at an elite level on a basketball court. That, to me, is an objective fact when her career is compared with others. She has, of course, overcome many obstacles, but so have many, if not most, other elite achievers. And since we don't know their stories, presumably we should not criticize the performance of any athlete, or any individual in any field, because it does not honor their struggle.

I appreciate Randy's concern for IMS, and acknowledgement of what she went through, but I don't feel that should extend to banning discussion of her career.

PostPosted: 04/01/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you look at IMS's history ( all the way back to high school ) it should be obvious that she never really was that invested in playing the game. It seemed that she really didn't like to play the game and was doing it just because she was tall, came from a basketball family, so it was expected of her.

If she doesn't want to play anymore, more power too her. She has a right to chose her own path.

PostPosted: 04/02/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Yup-And to me, she is just another example of Aston's ineptness as a coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: