RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN 2020-2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/25/20 5:17 pm    ::: UCONN 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

Might as well get this party started early.

My starting 5:

Westbrook
Williams
Makurat
Griffin
ONO

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/20 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don't think Bueckers will start Shocked She's supposed to be a game changing player with the status of a Maya, DT, Birdy, Stewie, etc... If she's that good, I'd be surprised if she doesn't start.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’ll start

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
You don't think Bueckers will start Shocked She's supposed to be a game changing player with the status of a Maya, DT, Birdy, Stewie, etc... If she's that good, I'd be surprised if she doesn't start.

Diana-didn't start her first game
Maya-didn't start her first game
Stewie-started at the outset...then came off the bench until the NCAA tourney

I don't think Bueckers needs to start, so I don't think she will.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/26/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here's an interesting note (I just talked to her coach and Paige):

Paige's coach said the boys' coach told him Paige would start for the high school boys' team -- and the boys' team is pretty good. I don't think that was hyperbole, from the tenor of the conversation, but even if Bueckers would have been in the rotation for a strong boys' team, that's a very strong statement about her talent level.

From what I got from the conversations, Bueckers is like Ionescu in many ways, but is a better all-around athlete.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Backtracking already. First game? Will Bueckers start most of the games should be the question.

ucbart wrote:

She didn’t need to go to UConn either, so now that she’s there, she better get treated right and the fans better not act like UConn is only place on earth to play.

Especially when you consider her bestie Fudd will be watching with interest how things go with Bueckers. Don’t want to mess that up. Geno isn’t always the brightest, but I don’t think he’s that dumb.

Makurat starting over Bueckers? Is this Comedy Central?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/26/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Backtracking already. First game? Will Bueckers start most of the games should be the question.

ucbart wrote:

She didn’t need to go to UConn either, so now that she’s there, she better get treated right and the fans better not act like UConn is only place on earth to play.

Especially when you consider her bestie Fudd will be watching with interest how things go with Bueckers. Don’t want to mess that up. Geno isn’t always the brightest, but I don’t think he’s that dumb.

What does this post even mean?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/26/20 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Shades"]
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Fine-

DT didn't start until injuries forced her to start
Maya didn't start until injuries forced her to start
Stewie started, then she hit a giant freshman wall and came off the bench.....until the NCAA tournamant.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 5:07 pm    ::: Re: UCONN 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

My starting 5:

Westbrook
Williams
Makurat
Griffin
ONO

Is this who YOU would start, or who you think GENO will start?

PostPosted: 03/27/20 8:37 am    ::: Re: UCONN 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ucbart wrote:

My starting 5:

Westbrook
Williams
Makurat
Griffin
ONO

Is this who YOU would start, or who you think GENO will start?

This is who I think Geno will start.

Our problem is, we lack a 5, because ONO is a 4 who plays a 5. So, now we lack a 4 because she plays out of position. And ONO playing the 5 is less out of position than any player we have now that would play the 4. If that made any sense at all.....

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/27/20 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, who would YOU start?

PostPosted: 03/27/20 11:33 pm    ::: Re: UCONN 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Westbrook
Williams
Makurat
Griffin
ONO

A reasonable choice, but likely a weaker lineup than last season's, which may be inevitable no matter who starts.

Walker and Dangerfield were the top two scorers and top two three-point makers. I don't think Westbrook, of unknown health and condition after 18 months of not playing, and Griffin, of no effective shot beyond five feet, can be as productive as Walker and Dangerfield.

Bueckers should be the most talented player on the team, the best ball handler and the best passer. So I hope she starts.

I further hope that the Canadian unknown, Edwards, will be good enough to start at the 4. I believe she at least has a mid-range jumper in addition to rebounding power.

I would give no seniority preference to Williams. She should have to earn a starting spot.

Geno will probably experiment a lot in the first half of the season, but I'm hoping for:

PG - Bueckers
SG - Williams or Westbrook, whoever earns it
SF - Makurat
PF - Edwards
C - ONO
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/28/20 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ucbart wrote:

Are you saying UConn and Geno needed Bueckers more than Bueckers needed UConn and Geno?

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/28/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ucbart wrote:

Are you saying UConn and Geno needed Bueckers more than Bueckers needed UConn and Geno?

If Shades doesn't, I will. It's all about talent, and Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

And if she brings Azzi Fudd along next year, well, no question UConn benefits more. (After all, Bueckers would be a star anywhere ...)

I did see the Canadian recruit, and she's good, but she didn't look ready to start on a Final Four team.

PostPosted: 03/28/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ucbart wrote:

If Shades doesn't, I will. It's all about talent, and Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

And if she brings Azzi Fudd along next year, well, no question UConn benefits more. (After all, Bueckers would be a star anywhere ...)

I did see the Canadian recruit, and she's good, but she didn't look ready to start on a Final Four team.

I don't think Fudd is coming to UCONN, just a hunch.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/20 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's all about talent, and Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

Hey! Sabrina's locker isn't even cleaned out yet--lets wait and see what Miss Fudsy produces. Think she'll be as good as 2K-1K-1K? Time will tell. Cool

PostPosted: 03/29/20 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It's all about talent, and Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

Hey! Sabrina's locker isn't even cleaned out yet--lets wait and see what Miss Fudsy produces. Think she'll be as good as 2K-1K-1K? Time will tell. Cool

We live in a "now" society and Sabrina is old news...HA!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/20 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Fudd will go to UConn either. Not sure where she'll end up though.

PostPosted: 03/29/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Well, I guess that means she could start in Storrs. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/29/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

And if she brings Azzi Fudd along next year, well, no question UConn benefits more.

I doubt Pistol Paige will equal Sabrina in points, assists and certainly not rebounds. Points might be the closest.

To get lots of assists, a player needs teammates who have high halfcourt IQ's and great shooting touch from the paint and arc. It's doubtful that Paige will have that high a level of teammates at UConn as Sabrina did at Oregon.

I'm also not convinced from her HS videos and stats that Paige will be anywhere as elite a three-point shooter as Sabrina, who shot .422 on 3FG's in her four-year Oregon career. Paige made only 33 3FG's in 25 games her senior year in high school, according to MaxPreps.

I have no idea where Fudd will go, but my sense is that UConn is the most likely, primarily because of Bueckers.
linkster

PostPosted: 03/29/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Bueckers may be as good, if not better than, Ionescu.

And if she brings Azzi Fudd along next year, well, no question UConn benefits more.

I doubt Pistol Paige will equal Sabrina in points, assists and certainly not rebounds. Points might be the closest.

To get lots of assists, a player needs teammates who have high halfcourt IQ's and great shooting touch from the paint and arc. It's doubtful that Paige will have that high a level of teammates at UConn as Sabrina did at Oregon.

I'm also not convinced from her HS videos and stats that Paige will be anywhere as elite a three-point shooter as Sabrina, who shot .422 on 3FG's in her four-year Oregon career. Paige made only 33 3FG's in 25 games her senior year in high school, according to MaxPreps.

I have no idea where Fudd will go, but my sense is that UConn is the most likely, primarily because of Bueckers.

There is a boatload of high school seniors who scored more than Bueckers this season but she is the top ranked player according to most services. To say that 33 3's is evidence of her lack of outside shooting talent is a perfect example of the miss-use of stats and is both simplistic and about as wrong as you could be. As an 8th grader she hit 8-9 from behind the arc playing only 15 minutes in one of her first varsity games. Bueckers played on a team that had several great outside shooters so she didn't have to shoot many, preferring to find wide open team mates.
Ionescu was one of the all-time great guards in wcbb, but as a freshman against a UConn team that had a 6' guard playing center she had 3 assists and 6 turnovers. I'm sure some miss-took that as evidence that she couldn't handle the pressure of top competition. Smile

przemoe

PostPosted: 03/30/20 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if she didn't have to shoot many 3s, why only 33%? Bad shot selection would be worse than just bricking along with no pressure.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/30/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
So if she didn't have to shoot many 3s, why only 33%? Bad shot selection would be worse than just bricking along with no pressure.

Not sure I understand your comment.

I can't find high school 3pt% stats for Paige Bueckers. Her five-year career 3pt shots made and other stats are available:

8th grade - 46
9th - 7
10th - 12
11th - 32
12th - 33
Total = 130 3pt makes in 105 games.

This is low volume 3pt shooting for a scoring guard. UConn has recruited many guards in the past who have scored many more 3pt baskets in high school, such as Diana Taurasi, Maria Conlon, Mel Thomas, Bria Hartley, KML, Saniya Chong, KLS, just to name a few.

Bueckers' 3pt shooting percentage is available for her seven U17 basketball games. She was 3-11 = 27%. (Fudd was 9-16 = 56% on the same team.)

Aside from stats, I've watched all of Bueckers' U17 games and four or five of her complete high school games. She scores mostly on layups, floaters and mid-range jumpers -- often very athletically -- but does not seem to take 3pt shots that often or hit them with noticeably high accuracy.

The layups will come much harder in college, so I hope Pistol Paige will develop into a formidable 3pt shooter at UConn. Her ball handling and passing are as good as anyone I've seen in high school, and I expect her to remain elite in those areas at UConn if she has high basketball IQ teammates who can play Swiss watch "UConn basketball".
przemoe

PostPosted: 03/31/20 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with every word. So she's aware of her shot and that's good. I've seen complete brickers develop into a formidable and reliable outside shooters in much older age so she has time, but as you mentioned Walker and Dangerfield are gone and that leaves just Anna as a perimeter threat. Westbrook will also have to work on that matter.

Ps what's the status of colleges/schools because of Covid? Learning is suspended? Anna is back in Poland, ending her quarantine (obligatory 14 days since arrival) so I wonder if she needs to go back in visible future and for now Polish borders and airspace are closed.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/31/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
Ps what's the status of colleges/schools because of Covid? Learning is suspended? Anna is back in Poland, ending her quarantine (obligatory 14 days since arrival) so I wonder if she needs to go back in visible future and for now Polish borders and airspace are closed.

Most schools and universities in the country are closed with many completing classes via computer "distance learning". All college sports have been cancelled. No practice or games until further notice, whenever that is. Hopefully, things will be fairly normal by August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: