RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Who Should Dallas Draft At #2?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Should Dallas Draft at #2?
Lauren Cox
42%
 42%  [ 21 ]
Satou Sabally
54%
 54%  [ 27 ]
Someone else
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 50

Author Message
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1053
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/25/20 11:38 pm    ::: Who Should Dallas Draft At #2? Reply Reply with quote

Maybe who you think Dallas should draft at #2 is who you think Dallas will draft at #2; maybe it's not. But there will apparently still be a 2020 Draft; and so long as Satou Sabally doesn't suddenly change her mind and want to go back to Oregon for her true senior year, who do you think Dallas should draft at #2? This poll of course assumes that Sabrina Ionescu goes #1 overall.


No end date set for this poll.



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life


Last edited by Stormeo on 03/26/20 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 378
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 7:21 am    ::: Re: Who Should Dallas Draft At #2? Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Maybe who you think Dallas should draft at #2 is who you think Dallas will draft at #2; maybe it's not. But as long as there's still a 2020 Draft and Satou Sabally doesn't suddenly change her mind and want to go back to Oregon for her true senior year, who do you think Dallas should draft at #2? This poll of course assumes that Sabrina Ionescu goes #1 overall.


No end date set for this poll.


I know everyone has a right to their opinion, having said that....if we don't get Satou at #2, I'm done with Bibb and I will no longer be a season ticket holder going forward because my patience has run its course with him in charge!!!


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10115



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone heard whether Sabally has actually declared for the draft. If not, it certainly seems possible she could change her mind.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5712
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Has anyone heard whether Sabally has actually declared for the draft. If not, it certainly seems possible she could change her mind.


She definitely declared and she hasn't UNdeclared.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5722
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabally said that she wanted to earn money to help support her family. The real money is made overseas, so cancellation of the WNBA season shouldn't stop her. That's true of all these players who might declare early: do they specifically want to play in the WNBA or do they just want to get a head start on their professional career?

Down the road, if there is a second wave of COVID-19 and the foreign leagues canceled, then it's likely the NCAA season will also be canceled.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5722
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Has anyone heard whether Sabally has actually declared for the draft. If not, it certainly seems possible she could change her mind.


She definitely declared and she hasn't UNdeclared.


A player only officially declares if she files paperwork with the WNBA League office. It doesn't matter what she says to the press or anybody else.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54289



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Has anyone heard whether Sabally has actually declared for the draft. If not, it certainly seems possible she could change her mind.


As the person who is always thinking way ahead of the curve pointed out way back here, there’s a difference between verbally announcing that you’re entering the draft and actually renouncing your NCAA eligibility in writing. Pretty sure you can’t officially renounce your NCAA eligibility and still play, so I’d say there’s definitely an out for Sabally if she wants to take it.

With Walker, not sure what’s going on there. She declared even after the cancellation of the tournament, when things were looking more dire for any basketball happening for the rest of the year. She must have wanted out bad.

But with things looking better at the source of the virus and neighboring Korea, I think the outlook for some sort of delayed season (taking advantage of no Olympics) is looking more rosier than I thought possible earlier. With no Olympics, the WNBA should be able to push everything back at least three weeks. Not sure how able they will be rearranging the schedule.

I’d be up for some winter ball. I don’t think a lot of players would object to that considering what happened this winter.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 21565



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best player would be Sabally. But they need help inside. Still think they take Sabally.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1053
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll go on record saying I went against the current & voted for Cox. I don’t think Cox is basically a whole tier below Sabally like many seem to be implying. Do I think Sabally is better than Cox as of right now? Slightly. But I think at this time, Cox is who this franchise needs in order to fully move on from old stars who wanted out onto a new hometown star to build a team/marketing campaign around. She didn’t score efficiently in the paint well this season, but has historically (maybe because she was a little more of a C this year as opposed to being strictly a PF in seasons past). And she does virtually everything else well. I think both players’ ceilings are similar enough to where Cox may as well be picked by default. JMO.

Shades wrote:
BOOYAH!

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2020-to-be-held-april-17/
Quote:
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the WNBA will conduct a virtual draft without players, guests, and media. WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert will announce the draft picks live on ESPN2 with coverage beginning at 8 p.m. ET, and top prospects will take part remotely. The draft will also be available on the ESPN App.


Welp! If Sabally’s gonna unexpectedly pull out of this at the last minute, at least we’ll find out sooner rather than later. And this also puts the pressure on Carter...



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 6054



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As one of many Dallas fans I currently see the following :

Of the five most likely lottery picks, I find these four Ready/Able to start on a WNBA team:

Ionescu
Cox
Carter
Walker

These four players lead their teams and were the primary reason their teams won. They had to perform every night and did.

Sabally is a top prospect and could have the higher ceiling of the above but we're now talking potential. She was not the primary leader/player on her team but played a very important role. I'm not saying she'd be a bad lottery pick at all, especially for Indiana.

Dallas needs an anchor they can count on and who can handle the full job like a Dolson. IMO, it's Cox. She's big enough and talented enough to handle all aspects of the primary or secondary post. She possesses all the skills and knowledge of the game and was trained and educated by a Hall of Fame coach and player.

I like Harrison as a player but she's not big enough or talented enough to play the anchor/hub position. Ndour is a slender PF who's not able to do the job well either. Imani hasn't shown she can consistently produce at the position but can when she really wants to. Can she solely be counted upon to do so? She's played on three different teams in three years. There's really no reason why she can't perform at the desired level but it's up to her. Imani has so many other talents like being an accountant, poet, artist, interviewer, and co-host. Her personality is outstanding, she is charismatic and I think her career is in television and/or as a sports anchor.

According to Kim Mulkey, Cox is one of the smartest players she has ever coached and she has been the most aggressive player with the most desire to win at Baylor besides Oddessey Simms. Mulkey said Cox hates more than anybody/anything to lose, is a staunch competitor and has the full arsenal of skills to play the post in the WNBA. Mulkey's not one to lie about a player.

Additionally, I too (selfishly) want Walker or Sabally. That's why it's important that Carter opt for the Draft. However, there is no guarantee either of these two will be available at #5 pick or a trade could happen to move up by another team. Although Carter may be the best ready and talented WNBA prospect along with Ionescu, according to many, she could be challenging to effectively and efficiently manage.

Again, YMMV.




Last edited by RavenDog on 03/26/20 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1053
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Ionescu
Cox
Carter
Williams

These four players lead their teams and were the primary reason their teams won. They had to perform every night and did.


Is there any top prospect with the last name of "Williams"? Or are you talking about Megan Walker? If so, I'm pretty sure I also mixed up a Williams for Walker earlier. Embarassed


For those who picked, are thinking about picking, or strongly considered picking "Someone else" on the poll, who? Carter if she declares? Walker at #2? Just out of curiosity.



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 6054



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Ionescu
Cox
Carter
Williams

These four players lead their teams and were the primary reason their teams won. They had to perform every night and did.


Is there any top prospect with the last name of "Williams"? Or are you talking about Megan Walker? If so, I'm pretty sure I also mixed up a Williams for Walker earlier. Embarassed


For those who picked, are thinking about picking, or strongly considered picking "Someone else" on the poll, who? Carter if she declares? Walker at #2? Just out of curiosity.


Laughing Yes, thanks for pointing it out. Definitely, Walker. Embarassed


RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 6054



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did run that scenario by in my thoughts, i.e. picking Walker #2 but re-thought it too high of a risk for hoping Sabally or Cox would still be available at #5.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15219
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
I did run that scenario by in my thoughts, i.e. picking Walker #2 but re-thought it too high of a risk for hoping Sabally or Cox would still be available at #5.


There would be virtually no chance that either would be available.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26601



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One major problem with taking Cox is her health issues. Like EDD, these don't just go away. If she could perform like EDD when she is healthy, maybe it would be worth the risk. But she's not close to being an EDD, which makes me think she's really a high risk pick. The downside of Sabally is that she really wasn't shooting well at the end of the season - so not sure what that was about. She has a much more complete game than Cox without the health issues. Cox has the 'local girl' thing going for her and is positionally probably a better fit. But I would still go with Sabally. I think she is the better player now and also has the higher ceiling. JMO.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1053
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry for being unaware, but what are the health issues Cox has going against her?



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 417
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Sorry for being unaware, but what are the health issues Cox has going against her?


I believe in the NCAAW championship game last season she sprained her MCL (not sure which knee/leg).
Then before the start of this most recent season she had a foot injury (stress reaction?) to the other leg.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1053
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Sorry for being unaware, but what are the health issues Cox has going against her?


I believe in the NCAAW championship game last season she sprained her MCL (not sure which knee/leg).
Then before the start of this most recent season she had a foot injury (stress reaction?) to the other leg.


Thanks. If those are her only health concerns that we know of, I would then wonder, are the injuries a sign that she's less durable than the average player? Or are they just injuries she happened to sustain that she can still fully recover from? Otherwise, I see she only missed one game in her first three collegiate seasons. Now if she had Lyme disease like EDD has or something else, then I'd say she has health concerns. But, does anyone else know of anything else?



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26601



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's also a diabetic needing daily insulin shots.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
fanaticka



Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 95
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Sorry for being unaware, but what are the health issues Cox has going against her?


I believe in the NCAAW championship game last season she sprained her MCL (not sure which knee/leg).
Then before the start of this most recent season she had a foot injury (stress reaction?) to the other leg.


She has diabetes.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22189
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
One major problem with taking Cox is her health issues. Like EDD, these don't just go away. If she could perform like EDD when she is healthy, maybe it would be worth the risk. But she's not close to being an EDD, which makes me think she's really a high risk pick. The downside of Sabally is that she really wasn't shooting well at the end of the season - so not sure what that was about. She has a much more complete game than Cox without the health issues. Cox has the 'local girl' thing going for her and is positionally probably a better fit. But I would still go with Sabally. I think she is the better player now and also has the higher ceiling. JMO.

If you're taking things like that into consideration there's also Sabally's European passport, which both means she could miss time to play/train with Germany, and has the potential to make more money in Europe and decide the WNBA isn't that high up on her priority list.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
hangtyme24



Joined: 21 May 2006
Posts: 2388



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Sorry for being unaware, but what are the health issues Cox has going against her?


I believe in the NCAAW championship game last season she sprained her MCL (not sure which knee/leg).
Then before the start of this most recent season she had a foot injury (stress reaction?) to the other leg.


Thanks. If those are her only health concerns that we know of, I would then wonder, are the injuries a sign that she's less durable than the average player? Or are they just injuries she happened to sustain that she can still fully recover from? Otherwise, I see she only missed one game in her first three collegiate seasons. Now if she had Lyme disease like EDD has or something else, then I'd say she has health concerns. But, does anyone else know of anything else?


She's also a diabetic and plays with a glucose monitor.



_________________
HERE 2 STAY!
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26601



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
One major problem with taking Cox is her health issues. Like EDD, these don't just go away. If she could perform like EDD when she is healthy, maybe it would be worth the risk. But she's not close to being an EDD, which makes me think she's really a high risk pick. The downside of Sabally is that she really wasn't shooting well at the end of the season - so not sure what that was about. She has a much more complete game than Cox without the health issues. Cox has the 'local girl' thing going for her and is positionally probably a better fit. But I would still go with Sabally. I think she is the better player now and also has the higher ceiling. JMO.

If you're taking things like that into consideration there's also Sabally's European passport, which both means she could miss time to play/train with Germany, and has the potential to make more money in Europe and decide the WNBA isn't that high up on her priority list.


true. although to date Germany hasn't really been a factor in most tourneys so that is less likely. And I think players who have played collegiately in the US are more apt to put the W higher on their radar. She's 'half' American so is obviously totally comfortable with the culture and the language.

edit: so I looked and see I'm wrong about the 1/2 American. She has a German mother and Gambian father, but she was born in the US.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22189
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
One major problem with taking Cox is her health issues. Like EDD, these don't just go away. If she could perform like EDD when she is healthy, maybe it would be worth the risk. But she's not close to being an EDD, which makes me think she's really a high risk pick. The downside of Sabally is that she really wasn't shooting well at the end of the season - so not sure what that was about. She has a much more complete game than Cox without the health issues. Cox has the 'local girl' thing going for her and is positionally probably a better fit. But I would still go with Sabally. I think she is the better player now and also has the higher ceiling. JMO.

If you're taking things like that into consideration there's also Sabally's European passport, which both means she could miss time to play/train with Germany, and has the potential to make more money in Europe and decide the WNBA isn't that high up on her priority list.


true. although to date Germany hasn't really been a factor in most tourneys so that is less likely. And I think players who have played collegiately in the US are more apt to put the W higher on their radar. She's 'half' American so is obviously totally comfortable with the culture and the language.

edit: so I looked and see I'm wrong about the 1/2 American. She has a German mother and Gambian father, but she was born in the US.

Belgium sucked back when Meesseman was drafed too. Things change, especially when there's a top-level player to lead the way. I agree she's probably in the Abrosimova-type category where having gone to school in the US makes her more likely to be committed to the WNBA, just pointing out that the Euro passport is one of the list of things to consider if you see Sabally/Cox as close enough to be debating. She already skipped NCAA games to go to Europe for qualifiers - a virtually unprecedented move despite the long list of Europeans playing in the NCAAs.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10115



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Satou is a US Citizen (whether she has ever tried to get US passport or not.)



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin