RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/25/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not absolutely sure about anything except that if we get any money we would be sending it along to relatives who need it more than we do.

PostPosted: 03/25/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#DoctorsOnlyPressConferences is trending on Twitter, along with a photoshopped picture of Dr Fauci talking and Trump standing in the background with a big piece of duct tape over his mouth.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/25/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mexico’s president is sounding something like Trump up until early March and like the governors of low infection states. Except that he appears to realize things will get bad if they don’t make changes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/coronavirus-advice-from-mexicos-president-live-life-as-usual

Quote:
Coronavirus advice from Mexico's president: 'Live life as usual'
López Obrador’s apparent nonchalance in response to pandemic draws barrage of criticism

Quote:
“I’ll tell you when not to go out any longer,” the left-wing populist said, explaining that the pandemic was still only in its first phase.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s not very many good things that will come out of the pandemic, but this has to be one of them... and this is happening all over the world.

I wonder if people will take notice and finally push harder towards an emissions free society.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
#DoctorsOnlyPressConferences is trending on Twitter, along with a photoshopped picture of Dr Fauci talking and Trump standing in the background with a big piece of duct tape over his mouth.

I have never ever seen such a Megalomaniac in such a position of power--it HAS TO be unprecedented in the history of this planet.

I *tried* to listen to him this evening, but I can't stomach it. HE CAN'T HELP HIMSELF: he's constantly referencing his magnificence, and his fabulous 165-mi section of border wall, and how he's done everything FIRST, and 19 other things that have NOTHING to do with the crisis at hand. Laughing Laughing Razz

#NATC

PostPosted: 03/25/20 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The people" seem to love it though. His popularity is still increasing.

PostPosted: 03/25/20 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good explanation of Trump’s “popularity” must have gotten buried back here.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/25/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting but sobering article here.
Quote:
How the Pandemic Will End

The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/[/quote]

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/25/20 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something seems amiss with the Republican brain, imo, as regards the cognitive processes.

Why do so many trust a proven pathological liar whose main motivation is self-aggrandizement?

PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Interesting but sobering article here.
Quote:
How the Pandemic Will End

The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/
[/quote]

Best article I've read. Thanks for sharing here. Everybody needs to read this. Those who like the occupant of our white house won't like it because it's about the truth. And projecting the future of this virus based on scientists who do this for a living.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York is going up faster than California. The governor responded to that:

Quote:
This is my personal opinion, I like to make sure that I separate facts from personal opinion. The facts I give you the best facts I have and again, the data changes day-to-day, but I give you exactly what I have on a day-to-day basis. Personal opinion, why does New York have so many more cases than any other state? How can it be you’re 15 times the number of California? I mean really it is a breathtaking when you think about it, state of Massachusetts with 30 times the number of cases. So why is the question that people ask me.

Two answers. Answer one is, because we welcome people from across the globe. We have people coming here, we have people who came here from China, who came here from Italy, who came here from countries all around the globe. We have international travelers who were in China, and who were in Italy, and who were in Korea and who came here. I have no doubt that the virus was here much earlier than we even know, and I have no doubt that the virus was here much earlier than it was in any other state because those people come here first. That’s the first answer.

The second answer is, because we are close, because we are close, we talk about the virus and how it transfers in a dense area. It’s literally because we are close, because we live close to one another, because we’re close to one another on the street, because we live in close communities, because we’re close to one another on the bus. We’re close to one another in the restaurant, we’re close to one another in the movie theater and we have one of the most dense close environments in the country and that’s why the virus communicated the way it did. Our closeness makes us vulnerable. Our closeness makes us vulnerable. That spatial closeness makes us vulnerable.

New York state has 10 times the COVID-19 cases California has. Why?

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/26/20 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bkMwvmJLnc0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMwvmJLnc0

PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s a great ad, but missing the best (worst) one of all: “Most people will have very mild symptoms and perhaps they will even go to work”

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WTF.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/26/coughing-grocery-store-coronavirus/

PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
WTF.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/26/coughing-grocery-store-coronavirus/

Given the recent spate of people spitting or urinating on food in grocery stores, this doesn't surprise me.

It seems our suppositions about the population most at risk may have been erroneous.
Quote:
ER doctor @Craig_A_Spencer says there is a "dire" situation inside NYC hospitals. "We have people young and old, with complications, without complications, who get put on mechanical ventilators, who get put on life support to help their breathing, who have cardiac arrest."

Director of Global Health in Emergency Medicine @ColumbiaMed/@NYPhospital
and Faculty in Forced Migration & Health @ColumbiaMSPH
| @MSF_USA BoD |#Ebola survivor

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1243152688855973888

tfan

PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
WTF.

Sound like she is mentally ill, although she did know about the virus and how to upset people. I read that kids were filming themselves coughing on produce and posting it to social media, which also forced the produce to be thrown out when the stores found out.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/20 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found

Quote:
The United States was ranked the best-prepared country in the world to handle a pandemic in late 2019 by the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHCHS) -- an assessment seemingly at odds with claims by Democrats that the Trump administration left the country vulnerable to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

The Global Health Security Index was was "developed with guidance from an international panel of experts from 13 countries, with research by the Economist Intelligence Unit" from 2018 to 2019, The Washington Post reported last year. "More than 100 researchers spent a year collecting and validating publicly available data.”

At the same time, the paper noted that the U.S. score was still not perfect, and that "factors driving down the U.S. score include the risks of social unrest and terrorism, and low public confidence in government."

You can find the entire world ranking and explanations by scrolling down the Global Health Security Index website:

https://www.ghsindex.org/
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/20 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Why won't Chump invoke the DPA?!

Yeah. Can anybody here explain the pros and/or cons of that move Question

Sure. Trump and the heads of FEMA and HHS explain it at almost every daily news conference since the president activated the authorization.

Simply: It's not yet been necessary to order any company to produce any needed supply item because enough of those companies have stepped forward and are voluntarily doing so -- e.g., GM, Ford, GE, 3M, Musk. Trump has also said that the mere possibility of a DPA order so far provides sufficient negotiating leverage for these companies to voluntarily begin retooling and production.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/26/20 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Sure. Trump and the heads of FEMA and HHS explain it at almost every daily news conference since the president activated the authorization.

Simply: It's not yet been necessary to order any company to produce any needed supply item because enough of those companies have stepped forward and are voluntarily doing so -- e.g., GM, Ford, GE, 3M, Musk. Trump has also said that the mere possibility of a DPA order so far provides sufficient negotiating leverage for these companies to voluntarily begin retooling and production.

Why do governors seem to disagree?

PostPosted: 03/26/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't know that any significant number of governors do, or that any do.

Cuomo is the governor with the worst virus problem, the worst supplies problem, and the most in the news. He advocates strongly for his state, as he should, and cries out for supplies in many directions. But much of his rhetoric, though articulate, is polemical. Selfishly, he has demanded the entire U.S. stockpile of 20,000 ventilators, but was reasonably allocated 4,000 this week. He appeals unrealistically for 30,000 more from sources that he can't identify and don't yet exist.

Trump says he and his administration talk to Cuomo and many other governors every day, and they all understand that complicated devices like ventilators can't be produced any faster under a DPA order than the companies can do voluntarily. My best understanding that it will be months rather than weeks for ventilators to roll off the newly retooled assembly lines at Ford, etc.

Meanwhile, the Pence task force has found a partial workaround for lots of additional ventilators. The American anesthesiologist association has found that all their tens of thousands of anesthesiology ventilators can, with minor modifications, be used as ICU ventilators, and anesthesiology staff can be made available to operate them. This is one consequence of the Pence task force's strong recommendation to postpone all elective surgeries. The Pence task force has already gotten the FDA to approve the the modified anesthesiology ventilators for ICU use.

There's a lot more, like the My Pillow guy now making masks, but I can't repeat all the activity that make DPA orders currently unnecessary.

FEMA's job is to monitor all supply chains and notify the president if DPA actually needs to be invoked. As far as I can tell, the president is following and implementing the advice of his administration experts in all his actions so far (except tweeting), and there's no doubt he'll invoke DPA if and when advised. Of course, there are experts outside the administration, often with conflicting opinions about everything, and many of those experts are self-interested if not self-appointed.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/26/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based upon the numbers, I wouldn't describe Cuomo as selfish.

To take the Trump Admin at its word requires more faith, imo, than does The Resurrection.

From disbanding the US Pandemic team, to ignoring intelligence reports and delaying any action, to "it's a media hoax", to not buying W.H.O. tests, to "It's 15, soon to be none", to "Leave them on the boat, I don't want the numbers to go up". to it will be gone like a miracle", to "Google will have a website up next week", to "We'll be testing by the millions next week" to "I take no responsibility" to "We have it under control" to "full churches on Easter", and the other hundreds of lies since January and the 10,000+ lies since his inauguration, Trump has earned absolutely no trustworthiness, imo.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

And a significant portion of our senators.

Murphy is drafting legislation that allows congress to bypass Presidential authority and do it themselves - which suggests there is some bipartisan agreement on that front.

Again, this explanation suggests Donald just doesn't know how to do it. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bE68xVXf8Kw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/bE68xVXf8Kw

PostPosted: 03/26/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

every time i glance at the tv, more americans have died.

this morning, it was at 900 (or just under, or just over. i honestly don't remember).

then this evening, it was 1,135.

then, minutes later, it was 1,145.

now, just minutes later, it's 1,156.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 38 of 100

Jump to: