RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/23/20 11:46 am    ::: Awards 2020 Reply Reply with quote

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-23/oregon-star-sabrina-ionescu-ap-womens-basketball-player-of-the-year

Sabrina unanimously wins AP POY. Congrats to her and well deserved.

It's really a shame she didn't have a good enough year to win the Dawn Staley award. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/23/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina's Dawn Staley is AP women's coach of the year

Quote:
The veteran Gamecocks coach received 20 votes from the national media panel that selects the Top 25 poll each week.

“It’s a great feeling. It’s cliche as I represent the best team in the country and our coaching staff and our support staff. Our trainers and everybody. It’s great,” she said. “It’s something that we haven’t been able to celebrate, but we will celebrate it together at a later time.”

Northwestern coach Joe McKeown was second with five votes in balloting released Monday. Oregon's Kelly Graves garnered four ballots and North Carolina State's Wes Moore received one.

South Carolina finished the season 32-1, winning the SEC season and tournament championships. The Gamecocks won their final 26 games and were No 1 in the AP poll for the final 10 weeks of the season.

Staley became the second African-American coach to win the AP award, joining Carolyn Peck, who was honored in 1999 when she coached Purdue. The two have long been connected; Peck gave Staley a piece of the NCAA championship net she won that season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/south-carolinas-dawn-staley-is-ap-womens-coach-of-the-year/ar-BB11ArPM

PostPosted: 03/23/20 7:29 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2020 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-23/oregon-star-sabrina-ionescu-ap-womens-basketball-player-of-the-year

Sabrina unanimously wins AP POY. Congrats to her and well deserved.

It's really a shame she didn't have a good enough year to win the Dawn Staley award. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Dawn needs to get out more.

Quote:
“It is a humbling thing each year to see the nation’s best guard be acknowledged as such with an award named after me, but this year it is a particular honor to have The Dawn Staley Award going to a player I have had the immense privilege to coach over the last four years,” Staley said in a statement. “Ty Harris is a special guard, a special player, a special person.

“She won a national championship as a freshman and spent the next two years working harder than any player in the country, honing her talents and quietly building one of the great careers in South Carolina history. This year it all paid off and the entire basketball world got to see her vision, her scoring ability, her tenacity and her leadership as she raised her team to be the best in the nation. I could not be more proud of this young woman, and it is my distinct honor to recognize Ty Harris as the 2020 recipient of The Dawn Staley Award.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: