RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/injuries/etc. 19-20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/20/20 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Shakira Austin leaving Maryland:

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-womens-basketball/2020/3/20/21188447/shakira-austin-transfer-portal-maryland-womens-basketball-olivia-owens-big-ten-title-brenda-frese

She was rated #4 in her high school class and #2 at her position by ESPN Hoopgurlz. ProspectsNation had her #12. Went to high school in Maryland, although at Prospects Nation says Virginia .

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211310

https://www.prospectsnation.com/player/shakira-austin

Howee

PostPosted: 03/21/20 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really? Shakira? I'd love to know a reason...... Shocked

PostPosted: 03/21/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

There are those who don't get along with Brenda, who by some accounts can be a pretty abrasive personality.

PostPosted: 03/21/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:

There are those who don't get along with Brenda, who by some accounts can be a pretty abrasive personality.

Her father was quoted in the Fredericksburg newspaper:
Quote:
“I think Kira is just looking to expand her game,” David Austin said. “I just think what Coach [Brenda Frese] was trying to do with her, they just weren’t on the same page. Even though there was a lot of success for the program, sometimes those young talented players want more. I guess a change of scenery gives them a chance to get that done. It’s nothing bad to say about Coach Frese. They just didn’t see eye-to-eye on a couple of things that Kira felt more comfortable doing on the court.”

https://www.fredericksburg.com/sports/college-women-s-basketball-former-colonial-forge-standout-austin-to/article_bff6bd84-ee5b-5e8f-8083-afc8fb38f1d0.html

Turns out that she also transferred high schools, hoping to develop her perimeter game. Maybe she doesn’t want to play center.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/21/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure she said from the beginning that she wanted to be a wing.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't say I blame her, then.

PostPosted: 03/21/20 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And with her back-up center, Olivia Owens, having announced her transfer earlier this week and with no other bigs in the Terps pipeline, her fate was sealed: she was going to play center.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And with her back-up center, Olivia Owens, having announced her transfer earlier this week and with no other bigs in the Terps pipeline, her fate was sealed: she was going to play center.

Doesn't that kinda leave Brenda up that proverbial estuary without a means of locomotion?

PostPosted: 03/21/20 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:

Her father was quoted in the Fredericksburg newspaper:
Quote:
“I think Kira is just looking to expand her game,” David Austin said. “I just think what Coach [Brenda Frese] was trying to do with her, they just weren’t on the same page. Even though there was a lot of success for the program, sometimes those young talented players want more. I guess a change of scenery gives them a chance to get that done. It’s nothing bad to say about Coach Frese. They just didn’t see eye-to-eye on a couple of things that Kira felt more comfortable doing on the court.”

https://www.fredericksburg.com/sports/college-women-s-basketball-former-colonial-forge-standout-austin-to/article_bff6bd84-ee5b-5e8f-8083-afc8fb38f1d0.html

Turns out that she also transferred high schools, hoping to develop her perimeter game. Maybe she doesn’t want to play center.

I like that her dad came right out and said why she is transferring. I haven't seen much of Austin, does she have the game to be a wing?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/21/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I like that her dad came right out and said why she is transferring. I haven't seen much of Austin, does she have the game to be a wing?

not really. at least IMO

- Amanda Gorman
geeceem

PostPosted: 03/21/20 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Doesn't that kinda leave Brenda up that proverbial estuary without a means of locomotion?

Yep, we’ll be seeing small ball next year—although if we could field five Alyssa Thomases, we could go a long way with small ball.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:

not really. at least IMO

She fancies herself the next EDD, but she’s only become reliable making layups and FTs midway through her second year.

Brenda has produced results with Kira this season that most of the MD fans I know never believed possible. Kira is leaving College Park a much more complete player than when she entered. Some new coach will be very lucky to get Kira 2.0

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mimi Collins will be eligible in the fall. I think Terp fans will be pleasantly surprised by what she brings to the team. She played mostly a 4 at Tenn.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 03/22/20 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Mimi Collins will be eligible in the fall. I think Terp fan will be pleasantly surprised by what she brings to the team. She played mostly a 4 at Tenn.

I saw her play on the scout team against the Terps starters at an open practice in preseason. I was very impressed.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/22/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her transfer was a far bigger loss to Tenn than Evina Westbrook's was.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:

not really. at least IMO

I agree. I like Austin and have watched parts of at least a dozen of her games and have never thought to myself- now there's a kid who'd make a helluva wing.

She IS athletic though and I wouldn't mind seeing her at UConn, although I think that chance is slim to none.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Mimi Collins will be eligible in the fall. I think Terp fans will be pleasantly surprised by what she brings to the team. She played mostly a 4 at Tenn.

yes, I liked what I saw from her. It also looks like Maryland may be the recipient of Carrington, who will be eligible immediately. Neither are the same as Austin, but I think Collins will be a nice replacement for Jones and Carrington, if she comes, for Charles. Austin is an unfortunate loss but they also have this year's #2 HS player arriving, who is 6'3". I think it's way too early to feel sorry for Maryland.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/23/20 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

HAHAHAHAH!!!! Those grapes still that sour?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/20 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

True that. She is NOT a center, however, and if Brenda tries to make her one, she'll ruin the kid. IMNSHO.

PostPosted: 03/23/20 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

HAHAHAHAH!!!! Those grapes still that sour?

Not sour grapes. I could care less where someone goes once they've decided to leave Tenn. I've thought all along that Collins had a bigger upside than Westbrook, and I think Massengill will be a fine PG IF she can get in some work this summer.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'1 G/F Erin Howard is leaving Auburn. The rising junior from Madison, WI started 17 of the 29 games she played for Auburn this season, averaging 7.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 27.7 minutes per game.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/high-school/basketball/girls/former-madison-east-athlete-erin-howard-leaves-auburn-s-women/article_7334cb46-3d45-5d1e-9440-e038f1326dab.html#tracking-source=home-trending

PostPosted: 03/24/20 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'1 RS Jr F Keyen Green is reportedly grad-transferring from Liberty and Notre Dame is interested. She's working on her MBA Check the bottom of this article https://notredame.rivals.com/news/muffet-mcgraw-assesses-notre-dame-s-five-incoming-freshmen

And there are now SIX Nevada players clogging up the transfer portal, with the latest being 6'0 F Imani Lacy (So, Fresno, CA) and 5'7 Fr G Jená Williams (Bartlesville, OK). This leaves Nevada with five returning players and one incoming freshman. Something is not well there. Is the coach's position at all secure?http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/imani-lacy-jen-williams-latest-nevada-wolf-pack-players-to-hit-transfer-portal

PostPosted: 03/25/20 5:22 pm    ::: Bell to leave OSU Reply Reply with quote

Bell leaves Ohio State.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20200325/kierstan-bell-says-shell-transfer-from-ohio-state-basketball-after-one-season

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/26/20 8:45 am    ::: Re: Bell to leave OSU Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Bell leaves Ohio State.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20200325/kierstan-bell-says-shell-transfer-from-ohio-state-basketball-after-one-season

I wondered when Bell lost her starting job if this would happen, especially when less-heralded fellow freshmen Madison Greene and Jacy Sheldon moved into the starting lineup ahead of her. Bell has loads of talent, but I'm not sure if she could be content with not being the #1 star.

PostPosted: 03/28/20 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:

not really. at least IMO

She fancies herself the next EDD, but she’s only become reliable making layups and FTs midway through her second year.

Brenda has produced results with Kira this season that most of the MD fans I know never believed possible. Kira is leaving College Park a much more complete player than when she entered. Some new coach will be very lucky to get Kira 2.0

You are correct, Shakira wants to be EDD, but she can't shoot, can't handle, is a turnover machine. She's not a wing and Brenda was honest with her about that. She has personal issues and is very immature.

Brenda did well with Shakira this season, she improved as you said, but she is not a wing offensively or defensively. I wish her well.

Brenda, as someone here stated, is not abrasive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: