RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

"Stopping mass gatherings is predicted to have relatively little impact (results not shown) because the contact-time at such events is relatively small compared to the time spent at home, in schools or workplaces and in other community locations such as bars and restaurants."

I don't understand why they threw in the last two. In what way is contact at a bar or restaurant for a few hours more dangerous than contact sitting in the stands of an arena for a few hours (assuming attendence is good). A club packed with people standing up would be worse, but an arena also has lines at the concession stands.

Bars and restaurants typically feature more intimate contact between patrons than an arena.

At a bar or restaurant you're likely to be seated in a place that's had other recent occupants and hasn't been very thoroughly cleaned in between. At an arena your assigned seat will most likely have been empty for a day or more.

PostPosted: 03/18/20 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seemed odd. Maybe all the authors or sports fans. Or maybe they just couldn't figure out how to model it.

The 2020 AFL (national Australian Rules Football league) season starts in just a few hours. It's by far the biggest sport in Australia.
After much deliberation they finally decided last night that the season will still go ahead today. They have reduced the season from 22 games to 17, to give themselves some extra flexibility, and of course are playing in empty stadiums.

I wonder how influential that document was in the decision.
It's a very surprising one in the context of what's happening everywhere else in the world and even here (eg. our national basketball league best-of-5 grand final series was at 2-1 when one of the teams decided nope - this is too much, we're stopping)

PostPosted: 03/19/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:
Seemed odd. Maybe all the authors or sports fans. Or maybe they just couldn't figure out how to model it.

The 2020 AFL (national Australian Rules Football league) season starts in just a few hours. It's by far the biggest sport in Australia.
After much deliberation they finally decided last night that the season will still go ahead today. They have reduced the season from 22 games to 17, to give themselves some extra flexibility, and of course are playing in empty stadiums.

It's a very surprising one in the context of what's happening everywhere else in the world and even here (eg. our national basketball league best-of-5 grand final series was at 2-1 when one of the teams decided nope - this is too much, we're stopping)

ESPN here in the States ought to pick up the AFL again.

I actually think, if it's doable and safe, that most people would like it if the leagues could start up again but in empty arenas and they just watched on tv or streaming -- lots of sports fans out there (like me!). Smile

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 03/19/20 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/19/20 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:

Interesting since Australia is moving INTO fall/winter, when infections generally increase infectiousness.

~rAf
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/19/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:

I actually think, if it's doable and safe, that most people would like it if the leagues could start up again but in empty arenas and they just watched on tv or streaming -- lots of sports fans out there (like me!). Smile

FOX has the AFL and AFLW rights here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are on FOX Soccer Plus, which is a premium channel on most providers, but there is a game on FOX Sports 1 soon.

We are quickly running out of sports still being played though.
Randy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even worse - gamblers don't any sports to bet on. Maybe they can bet on whether the NBA/WNBA will actually play this summer.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tried to watch that opening AFL game. Unfortunately it was wildly uncompetitive, and especially when there's no crowd (and hence no atmosphere whatsoever) a blowout can lose your attention really quickly. If you look away at something else - your phone, computer, someone else in the room, whatever - there's no crescendo of noise to drag you back. I'm sure people will be glad to have sports back whenever it happens, but if it's without crowds that really does change the experience.

PostPosted: 03/20/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:

FOX has the AFL and AFLW rights here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are on FOX Soccer Plus, which is a premium channel on most providers, but there is a game on FOX Sports 1 soon.

woo hoo!!! I've got Fox Sports 1 -- I'm watching it tonight! Smile

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/20/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:

It's a double dose today, with this being the first weekend of the AFL regular season, and also the AFLW semi finals. (Due to Covid-19, the rest of the AFLW regular season was cancelled and the league went straight into playoff mode)

PostPosted: 03/21/20 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, the NWSL announced they will delay the start of their 2020 season. It was set to begin on April 18.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/21/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:

It's a double dose today, with this being the first weekend of the AFL regular season, and also the AFLW semi finals. (Due to Covid-19, the rest of the AFLW regular season was cancelled and the league went straight into playoff mode)

Well that didn't last long. Every state now locking down its border to essential services only, with mandatory 14 day quarantine periods.
Theoretically still possible to play one more round of footy, since every AFL-playing state is home to an even number of teams, but that would take more audacity than even the AFL is capable of I think.
[Edit] Nope. Season now officially postponed until at least May 31 once today's games are completed.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AFL (Australian Football League) just cancelled the women's finals series (playoffs) and will not name a champion.

The men's league has been postponed after this week's matches and hopes to resume on 5/31/20.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/22/20 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've seen the same pattern everywhere, even in government. Beginning with not realizing the seriousness of this virus to acknowledging the seriousness of it only when it has already started to spread like wildfire.

I live in NYC, which is slowly becoming the epicenter of COVID-19. The expectations laid out have been that the outbreak is supposed to be at its peak by May 1st. It's estimated that 40-80% of us will catch it in worst-case scenarios. If the pattern follows that of China, you'd hope for no new outbreaks by June 1st. Hopefully warm weather may also help but I've read decidedly mixed opinions on that.

In any event, I'd figure the Olympics will probably get pushed back a year. There's no way they can have an Olympics this year between the danger of spreading the disease along with athletes not being able to properly train.

Given the Olympic situation, I'd say a season starting between June 15th and July 1st and ending sometime in late September is possible...though I still lean toward the season being cancelled. But IF there's a season, I'd estimate the absolute earliest start date as being June 15th...with a more likely start of July 1st.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, Sue! (and Megan)

@SheaSerrano wrote:

let’s go again

i’m sending $250 to eight people who need a W today cuz the homies @S10Bird and @mPinoe (who are perpetual winners) sent me $2K to hand out this morning

send me your CashApp

fuck coronavirus

we’re gonna beat it

https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/1241438128973524992

(Note: just thanking them in general for their generosity. Not because I got some cash)

PostPosted: 03/22/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
We've seen the same pattern everywhere, even in government. Beginning with not realizing the seriousness of this virus to acknowledging the seriousness of it only when it has already started to spread like wildfire.

I live in NYC, which is slowly becoming the epicenter of COVID-19. The expectations laid out have been that the outbreak is supposed to be at its peak by May 1st. It's estimated that 40-80% of us will catch it in worst-case scenarios. If the pattern follows that of China, you'd hope for no new outbreaks by June 1st. Hopefully warm weather may also help but I've read decidedly mixed opinions on that.

In any event, I'd figure the Olympics will probably get pushed back a year. There's no way they can have an Olympics this year between the danger of spreading the disease along with athletes not being able to properly train.

Given the Olympic situation, I'd say a season starting between June 15th and July 1st and ending sometime in late September is possible...though I still lean toward the season being cancelled. But IF there's a season, I'd estimate the absolute earliest start date as being June 15th...with a more likely start of July 1st.

All this seems reasonable. I'd just add this. Right now New York City is becoming the epicenter in the U.S. Perhaps it will be at its peak here on May 1st. No one can be sure. Even if that proves to be true, it could reach its peak in other cities at a later date than May 1st. Which would push back any possible beginning date for the WNBA for a 2020 season.

Like you, I suspect that the season will be cancelled. One of the hideous things about this pandemic is that so much is uncertain, as many of the experts acknowledge. Just hoping that the athletes we admire are healthy, stay healthy, or get through the virus and regain their health. And hoping the same for everyone who reads this.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah basically. Everything else is secondary to staying alive and maintaining good long-term health. It's astonishing how much has changed in just a few weeks.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know financially it would hurt the league, but might they opt to play in empty arenas?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I know financially it would hurt the league, but might they opt to play in empty arenas?

I'm sure it's an option that'll be discussed. But leagues like the NBA or the English Premier League consider it because of their huge TV audiences, and the amount of money that's still part of the equation from TV companies and sponsors. The WNBA, much as many of us care about it, doesn't have those same drivers. Unless it's just a temporary measure to get things started for a few weeks before the fans are let in, I'm not convinced they'd bother playing without fans. I definitely don't think they'd start the season fully intending to play a complete schedule without fans at any of it.

But who the hell knows. Everyone's guessing at this point.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I'm sure it's an option that'll be discussed. But leagues like the NBA or the English Premier League consider it because of their huge TV audiences, and the amount of money that's still part of the equation from TV companies and sponsors. The WNBA, much as many of us care about it, doesn't have those same drivers. Unless it's just a temporary measure to get things started for a few weeks before the fans are let in, I'm not convinced they'd bother playing without fans. I definitely don't think they'd start the season fully intending to play a complete schedule without fans at any of it.

But who the hell knows. Everyone's guessing at this point.

I think the season gets delayed a month. The Olympics gets ppd so the league will have that three-week gap to fill in. Maybe the first month is played in empty arenas. Just throwing this out there and trying to be optimistic.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The season's scheduled to start in less than 8 weeks' time. Training camps to open in 5. I'm just not convinced that that's adding enough leeway.

But who knows, maybe audiences are so desperate for some sport that viewing figures go through the roof, and they throw in some double-bills with rescheduled NBA games to give the league a push too. Silver linings and all that...

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the NBA and WNBA can play w/o fans probably MLB, MLS, NHL and NASCAR will also. Going head to head with all those sports (particularly the in-season ones) could dilute the TV audience. I could see the NBA doing just to full fill its lucrative TV contracts though.

The Hawks are giving away all of the food they have purchased for game concessions. Seems they don't expect fans in arena's anytime soon.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if it's relatively small, the TV money is still important to the WNBA. Assuming the league does not get paid unless they have a season, then that might be enough incentive to play empty arena games. We talked about the Liberty using a TV show business model when they moved to Westchester. Teams may still be profitable or at least break even if they drop costs to a bare minimum and simply show the games. With no audience, teams can perhaps go all out and use the cheapest facility they can find. Or maybe even their normal arena wouldn't be expensive to operate if fan amenities are removed from the equation. The other important "cost" for these facilities is opportunity cost -- namely concerts and other more profitable events they could be presenting. However, post coronavirus there may be less non-sports demand for these arenas. If so, they wouldn't be missing out on lucrative opportunities by presenting the WNBA.

PostPosted: 03/22/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IOC sets four-week deadline on Games decision, will not be canceled.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28939429/ioc-sets-four-week-deadline-games-decision?linkId=84815623

elsie

PostPosted: 03/22/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

viruses tend to weaken as they go on.....

there is a vaccine on the horizon...

and now we know certain drugs will cure it in many people...

you can not stop a virus......why are we doing this ridiculous exercise in futility....frail sickly people should self isolate until the vaccine is ready to go.......

play on......

play on....

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/22/20 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Even worse - gamblers don't any sports to bet on. Maybe they can bet on whether the NBA/WNBA will actually play this summer.

They will find something to bet on. They will probably create lines based on the various aspects and results of the disease.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: