RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I would take Ruthy Hebard any day over Joyner Holmes. So there you have it. Ruthy has improved every year and JH has digressed. It ain't all on the coaching. If you can't self motivate, why would it suddenly change? Name one single thing JH does better than Ruthy?

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And I would take Ruthy Hebard any day over Joyner Holmes. So there you have it. Ruthy has improved every year and JH has digressed. It ain't all on the coaching. If you can't self motivate, why would it suddenly change? Name one single thing JH does better than Ruthy?

Handle the ball , JH can start your transition and make plays in open court. Thats about the only thing shes better than Hebard at . She also has the build to actually compete with the WNBA post players. Not saying Ruthy doesn't, but JH has a more pro=ready frame.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, did UConn pick a great year to suck or what?

The Final Four streak CONTINUES...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/20 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Joyner. She just hasn't had good coaching for her position. As for Tina Thompson, one can be a good player but not the best coach. Texas and now Virginia? Well.....UVA has finished 12th and 9th with her. Sometimes great playing does not translate into good teaching or managing.

Myrtle, I think you meant "regressed, not "digressed"....but I digress.

PostPosted: 03/13/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for the correction. I've definitely regressed.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/13/20 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was really high on freshman JH, but became disappointed as her career unfolded. It's almost like there was no evolution.

I've questioned Aston's ability here more than once, but I'm inclined to believe JH's "problem" is mostly between the ears.

Simply put, Hebard is a smart player. JH isn't. The better player of these two, imo, would be the mental Hebard coupled with the physical Holmes. Very Happy

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/14/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walker declares for the W.

PostPosted: 03/14/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

kinda weird since we don't know if the W even happens.

- Amanda Gorman
przemoe

PostPosted: 03/14/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Just when it seemed next year would suck less Rolling Eyes

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/20 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Progress, my dear, progress!

PostPosted: 03/14/20 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Why is it progress? Rolling Eyes Leave it to a Tennessee fan to stalk and butt in on every UConn mention. Laughing OBSESSED!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Doesn't really surprise me, though it's surely a shock to UConn nation and will weaken next year's team. It's kind of odd that she wouldn't wait until it's known whether there will be a WNBA draft and season. But maybe that just emphasizes the strength of her decision.

For the first time in 30 years there are two consecutive UConn classes who have not gone to the Final Four. In addition, the entire recruiting class from high school class of 2017 has burned off before graduating: Walker, Coombs, Gordon and Espinoza-Hunter -- the Out-the-Door Four. Unprecedented at UConn, I'd venture.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/15/20 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think walker played in the final four last year against notre dame./

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/20 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
For the first time in 30 years there are two consecutive UConn classes who have not gone to the Final Four. In addition, the entire recruiting class from high school class of 2017 has burned off before graduating: Walker, Coombs, Gordon and Espinoza-Hunter -- the Out-the-Door Four. Unprecedented at UConn, I'd venture.

Confused UConn has been to each of the last 12 Final Fours

PostPosted: 03/15/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Why is it progress? Rolling Eyes Leave it to a Tennessee fan to stalk and butt in on every UConn mention. Laughing OBSESSED!

Please. It was a joke, aimed at myrtle in the Joyner Holmes vein. Don't be so tetchy!

PostPosted: 03/15/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Confused UConn has been to each of the last 12 Final Fours

I misspoke. I've read it's the first time since 1989 and 1990 that UConn has had two consecutive recruiting classes that have not won the NC.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/15/20 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had high hopes for Megan for 2021. I envisioned national player of the year honors and climbing higher and higher on the all-time UConn scoring list. Her performances against the top 3 teams in WCBB show that she still needs work in one on one and creating her own shot against top defenders. I was hoping that this would be developed further over the summer....

I recall one home game (I can't remember who) where she literally did not get back on defense and one time on offense, she stood near half-court in a pouty position. Geno did NOT take her out and I thought that was total B.S. because if that was anybody else, they would've been yanked out and benched for further games. I posted that sentiment on the UConn BY only to get attacked for suggesting we put a 100% Evelyn or Kyla in who would actually try and not pout. The writing was on the wall somewhat that she wasn't fully bought in and she also didn't trust her teammates at times as she forced a lot of shots.

I wish her well at the next level...I just hope she doesn't take a financial hit if the 2020 WNBA season and part of the overseas seasons suspend and/or cancel play. We will be fine..there are freshman coming in who will buy in. I wouldn't label Megan a headcase per se, but I do think she had a lot on her mind. It doesn't help that her entire Class of 2021 teammates all jumped ship prior to their junior seasons. 2021 could very well be another rebuilding year, but with the future looking promising with young recruits and the play of freshman this past season, a lot to be happy about!

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/16/20 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So losing their top 2 scorers in Walker and Dangerfield? That's a big void to fill for 2021. Makurat looks to be able to fill most of CD's production - she's a slightly better rebounder who should be a much better one before its all said and done. She actually averaged a slightly better 0.12 assist-per-minute played this season as a freshman to Dangerfield's 0.11 apm, is a much better blocker, and was almost as good of a stealer.

Just needs to improve on her scoring, which I'm sure she will. Williams and Griffin need to work on their productivity against the better competition, which they are young so there's no reason to think they won't. Nelson-Ododa seemed to improve as the season progressed.

So CT will return Williams, Griffin, Nelson-Ododa, Makurat, and Westbrook as the core of the roster, and add to that Bueckers, McClean, and Edwards....

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/19/20 12:18 pm    ::: Walker named first team All-American by AP Reply Reply with quote

Is anyone else surprised by this?

Shocked

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/20 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Megan is well deserving of all-America. First team might be stretching it, but IMO she is a large part (the other being Crystal D's improvement) of the reason UConn was as competitive this year as they were. Perhaps if she hadn't declared for the draft she would have been second team. who knows. I very much look forward to seeing her at the next level.

- Amanda Gorman
Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/19/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Megan is well deserving of all-America. First team might be stretching it, but IMO she is a large part (the other being Crystal D's improvement) of the reason UConn was as competitive this year as they were. Perhaps if she hadn't declared for the draft she would have been second team. who knows. I very much look forward to seeing her at the next level.

I am happy for Megan. I was just really surprised by 1st team. She has not been a topic of conversation (in a positive way) in any online venue that I've seen.

Sorry she's not coming back next year. I assume she'll go on up on Huskies of Honor - but never be able to receive the appreciation of the fans when it happens. Sad

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="summertime blues"]I like Joyner. She just hasn't had good coaching for her position. As for Tina Thompson, one can be a good player but not the best coach. Texas and now Virginia? Well.....UVA has finished 12th and 9th with her. Sometimes great playing does not translate into good teaching or managing.

I think each of the following people would say that only a complete horse’s ass trying to make a show would explicitly write that it was Karen Aston and her coach’s fault for Joyner’s less than optimal development, especially when the writer knows little to nothing about it.

I, on the other hand, wouldn’t say the above about the writer, I’d just add that this person has a history of rash embarrassing statements.

Karen Aston was tutored trained, and worked under 3 separate Hall of Fame coaches: Kim Mulkey Hall of Fame for 4 years, Sonja Hogj Hall of Fame, and Jody Conradt Hall of Fame for over 5 years.

Tina Thompson Hall of Fame PF, worked with Joyner for over two years. Tina is recognized by basketball experts as one of the best PF’s in the World to ever play the game. The writer insinuates she can’t coach.

Tiffany Jackson-Jones worked with Joyner the past three years. Tiffany is recognized by basketball experts as most likely the best University of Texas women’s basketball PF to ever play there and she also played many years in the WNBA. And Jaimie Carey worked with Joyner for the past four years, is recognized by basketball experts to be one of the best PG’s to ever play at the University of Texas.

Holmes is a poor shooter and doesn’t always play team ball in taking inappropriate shots at key times. She’s still learning. She hasn’t progressed to her potential due to her own circumstances.

Holmes faced a major setback after her freshman season when she was suspended from the University of Texas the summer before her sophomore year for committing a University violation. Holmes was sent home for the following fall semester and wasn’t able to compete with her team until she returned in January.

Holmes struggled to get back into a rhythm in her team’s final 25 games of the season but committed herself to getting back to the player she was in the offseason.

However, Holmes faced more adversity when she broke her ankle just weeks before the start of her junior season. She missed the Longhorns’ first eight games and was limited to a 25-game season the second year in a row.

Holmes did get into better shape and did progress in her senior year. Hopefully, she will continue to progress in the WNBA.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RD, you are welcome to your OPINION. However, Texas has also not lived up to expectations, as many on here will agree, so I don't think it's just me, and I've seen many others criticize Karen Aston as a coach. (I happen to like her, although I'd like to see Texas have better outcomes.) I also stand by my statement that being a good player does not necessarily translate into becoming a good coach. I have seen many good players over the years, both male and female, fail at coaching or simply be mediocre coaches. So your OPINION is just that, your OPINION. I daresay you have made your own embarrassing statements in the past but I'm not going to assassinate your character although you seem to delight in doing that to others.

PostPosted: 03/24/20 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
RD, you are welcome to your OPINION. However, Texas has also not lived up to expectations, as many on here will agree, so I don't think it's just me, and I've seen many others criticize Karen Aston as a coach. (I happen to like her, although I'd like to see Texas have better outcomes.) I also stand by my statement that being a good player does not necessarily translate into becoming a good coach. I have seen many good players over the years, both male and female, fail at coaching or simply be mediocre coaches. So your OPINION is just that, your OPINION. I daresay you have made your own embarrassing statements in the past but I'm not going to assassinate your character although you seem to delight in doing that to others.

I think Atkins is a good example. She has been significantly better in the WNBA than she was at Texas. Not saying Joyner will for sure have similar results, but I think things like this are important to note.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: