RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/18/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The call to cancel the NCAA Tourney.

Quote:
Once she saw that fans wouldn't be allowed at conference tournaments and then the eventual decision to cancel the remainder of the tournaments, Turnham sat with her fellow committee members and waited for the call they all were dreading.

Quote:
While the NCAA tried to save the men's tournament with a 16-team bracket to be played over one long weekend, Turnham said that it was never discussed for the women.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2020/03/18/ncaa-womens-basketball-tournament-chairwomen-cancel-march-madness/2872031001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet organizes a food drive in her neighborhood.

NICE!!

Quote:
"When you look at our community, so many people need help. We can go to the store and stock up and have two weeks of food, but not everybody's in a position to do that. They're living day to day," McGraw says.

"I think its so important to give whatever we can to people in our community who need it."

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/muffet-mcgraw-organizes-local-food-drive

Quote:
This is a time when we need to be optimistic," McGraw said. "We need to be full of hope. I think that's the most important thing to know. We're going to get through this. We're going to get through it together and how can you help? What can you do to help? Can you call the schools? Can you call people in the community? Can you take care of some seniors that are on your block? Reach out to them. People are lonely. They're a little scared right now. We're going through a really tough time but we know we can get to the other side of it."

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Muffet-McGraw-holds-food-drive-to-help-those-in-need-during-pandemic-568977541.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Muffet organizes a food drive in her neighborhood.

NICE!!

Quote:
"When you look at our community, so many people need help. We can go to the store and stock up and have two weeks of food, but not everybody's in a position to do that. They're living day to day," McGraw says.

"I think its so important to give whatever we can to people in our community who need it."

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/muffet-mcgraw-organizes-local-food-drive

Quote:
This is a time when we need to be optimistic," McGraw said. "We need to be full of hope. I think that's the most important thing to know. We're going to get through this. We're going to get through it together and how can you help? What can you do to help? Can you call the schools? Can you call people in the community? Can you take care of some seniors that are on your block? Reach out to them. People are lonely. They're a little scared right now. We're going through a really tough time but we know we can get to the other side of it."

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Muffet-McGraw-holds-food-drive-to-help-those-in-need-during-pandemic-568977541.html

Good for her. Like to see this kind of thing.

PostPosted: 04/18/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana high school boys' state basketball tourney and coronavirus. Goes into some of the decision making that went on leading up to playing and cancelling the tourney.

Five men who were at the same sectional site all died of COVID 19. If you read the story, yes, there are schools around Indianapolis that are named Lawrence North, Lawrence Central and North Central. All on the northeast corner of the county, not more than 10 miles apart. I've lived here all my life and it's still confusing!

I'm thinking I read that there was another site that was linked to several deaths, but I couldn't find anything.
Quote:
But on that night of March 6, there were five people in the gym who later died after testing positive for coronavirus. There’s no way to know if they contracted it at Lawrence Central. But families are left to mourn.

Quote:
Stanbrough started feeling sick the after their dinner. Three days later on March 10, he visited a doctor. He tested positive for the flu, but even with medicine he said he “kept going downhill.” Fevers. Dry coughs. Stanbrough visited the emergency room on March 17 and 19 and was sent home. Two days later, he was back again but this time we was admitted.

He tested positive for COVID-19 at IU Health North on March 23. Stanbrough stayed in the hospital for six days.

“I came home and got to feeling better for a couple days,” he said. “Then I started going south again and started having some pretty severe chest pains.”

On April 2, Stanbrough was readmitted and spent another six days in the hospital. An ultrasound discovered he had blood clots in both legs and his lungs. Stanbrough, who had no pre-existing health conditions previously, will be on blood thinners for several months.

Quote:
It seems clear now that the coronavirus was already spreading during the sectional week that started on March 3 and probably even before. On March 11, when Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz tested positive for coronavirus and the NBA subsequently suspended its season, the reality of how serious the disease is and how quickly it can spread became real for many people in the sports world.

Quote:
Good twice visited the doctor and was told it could be a sinus infection. It was not until it was confirmed to him that both DeSalle and Stanbrough had tested positive for coronavirus that Good was able to also get tested. It, too, was positive.

For 17 days, Good said he had a fever that reached as high as 103.8 one night. Fortunately for Good, who is asthmatic, the virus never got into his lungs.

Twenty-four hours later, at noon on Friday, the IHSAA announced it was postponing the tournament. Had the games been played, Lawrence North would have been without Stanbrough, Good and DeSalle on the bench that regional Saturday.

“There was no way,” said Good, who lost 22 pounds and is still not well. “I wasn’t even thinking about basketball.”

Quote:
Khyrie Abdullah, 33, did not attend Sectional 10 on the weekend, but he was there on March 3 for the Warren Central-Tech game and the sold-out doubleheader on Wednesday (March 4) between Lawrence Central and Lawrence North and Cathedral and Crispus Attucks. On March 10, Abdullah, a track coach at Lawrence Central and assistant football coach, started to feel sick. On March 16, he went to the hospital with dizziness and shortness of breath. On March 19, he went on a ventilator and stayed on it for 13 days, during which time his coronavirus test came back positive.

Abdullah woke up on April 1
and has been in the recovery process since.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/highschool/2020/04/18/coronavirus-deaths-followed-indiana-high-school-basketball-sectional/5158644002/

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/30/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.si.com/sports/2020/04/23/untold-stories-spring-heroes-coronavirus

Sports Illustrated did a story about the canceling of sports, and one of the stories they told us about my daughters team. It’s a pretty cool story, and there’s a nice picture of my daughter from behind, sitting on the bench waiting to be announced.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/01/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, lovely article...It affected so many at all different levels.
and I was sad for south dakota's seniors too.

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/08/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Georgia bulldog Rebecca l Rowsey is at the front lines of the Covid fight working at the University of Utah Hospital.

https://www.wltz.com/2020/05/07/rebecca-rowsey-desso-from-the-front-court-to-the-front-lines/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/09/20 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarah Edwards, beloved back-bencher for the Lady Vols, is now an ER doc on the frontlines.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2020/04/20/tennessee-lady-vols-doctor-sarah-edwards-pat-summitt-coronavirus/5138631002/

PostPosted: 05/21/20 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A neutral-site game between women's basketball powerhouses Louisville and UConn will not take place this season because of concerns about how potential coronavirus restrictions could affect attendance, according to Louisville coach Jeff Walz.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29201769/amid-pandemic-louisville-uconn-cancel-neutral-site-game-powerhouses

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/21/20 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
A neutral-site game between women's basketball powerhouses Louisville and UConn will not take place this season because of concerns about how potential coronavirus restrictions could affect attendance, according to Louisville coach Jeff Walz.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29201769/amid-pandemic-louisville-uconn-cancel-neutral-site-game-powerhouses

???

"He noted his non-conference schedule was complete but that a game against former ACC rival UConn in the New York City area had recently been postponed."

"The two programs met regularly when both were in the ACC "

UCONN has never been in the ACC as far as I know. I think Louisville and UCONN were last together in a conference in the Big East...

Davis4632

PostPosted: 05/21/20 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

???

"He noted his non-conference schedule was complete but that a game against former ACC rival UConn in the New York City area had recently been postponed."

UCONN has never been in the ACC as far as I know. I think Louisville and UCONN were last together in a conference in the Big East...

Louisville spent one season in the AAC after the Big East split up before joining the ACC. UConn has to cut back on non-conference games because the Big East has more conference games than the AAC does. I guess Louisville did UConn a "favor" by cancelling the game even though to some it will look like they are chickening out.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/22/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

???

Louisville spent one season in the AAC after the Big East split up before joining the ACC. UConn has to cut back on non-conference games because the Big East has more conference games than the AAC does. I guess Louisville did UConn a "favor" by cancelling the game even though to some it will look like they are chickening out.

Louisville didn't cancel, the event operator did because they were worried they couldn't draw many fans due to COVID

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 05/22/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

???

But I think the article is still wrong as it says they were ACC rivals - UCONN wasn't ever in the ACC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: