44%
 44%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 61

Randy

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted yes yesterday morning. Can I change my vote? Sad

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with how the NBA season being suspended will impact the WNBA's season. I'm perfectly willing to believe that the pandemic will be under control in time for WNBA training camp to start (wishful thinking, I know!). What I'm way more worried about is if the NBA elects to make up all the games they're going to miss, rather than declare those games canceled, and move directly into the playoffs: five WNBA teams share venues with NBA franchises and, if it comes down to preempting Dave Chappelle and Joe Rogan or the Fever, in order to make up those dates... guess who's getting the short straw?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/12/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Democratic weaponization and fear mongering will persist, even if the virus weakens.

Fear of lawsuits, especially now with all the closures and shutdowns, corporations, companies, schools, institutions, eateries etc. will use extreme caution and diligence.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/12/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA's statement. Rather uninformative, and vague.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-statement-regarding-covid-19/

Quote:
we continue to scenario plan around our upcoming events and season including the 2020 WNBA Draft scheduled for April 17, the start of training camp on April 26 and the tip of the WNBA season on May 15. Further details will be shared later this month.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/12/20 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Given the complete shambles the US are generally making of handling all this, I feel like we should be banning all flights from the US, not waiting for them to ban all flights from here.

The UK is behaving a little better than the USA by asking for a self-quarantine of those returning from Italy, but that doesn’t prevent asymptomatic transmission (possibly 20% of those infected) or people with mild symptoms who may not realize the have it, or people who refuse to self-quarantine to some extent. I would expect full testing of anyone coming back from Italy at the time of a countrywide lockdown and isolation at the airport and transportation back to their homes that didn’t have them commingled with others. In this video at 4:27 a retired UK doctor notes that citizens flying back from Northern Italy to avoid the lockdown were not met at the airport by anyone. And the government made the nonsensical statement that they didn’t need to quarantine/test/monitor/transport anyone arriving from Northern Italy because the airlines had been monitoring passengers.

https://youtu.be/4SZBuHFzYlw

Oh we have an idiot running our country as well, I didn't mean to suggest that we've been much better. It's just that today seems to be the day that America has collectively finally gone "Oh shitttttttttt".

Seattle has been going "Oh shitttttttt" for a couple weeks (local scientists for even longer). And by "Seattle", I mean King and Snohomish Counties, but I guess it's all the same to those outside the state.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/12/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSG & Barclays will be closed for a few months.

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 03/12/20 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 03/12/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, safe to assume Westchester is already, too.

~lw3

toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
FWIW, safe to assume Westchester is already, too.

~lw3

Well, G-League is suspended, too. So nothing happening in Westchester.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA's statement. Rather uninformative, and vague.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-statement-regarding-covid-19/

Quote:
we continue to scenario plan around our upcoming events and season including the 2020 WNBA Draft scheduled for April 17, the start of training camp on April 26 and the tip of the WNBA season on May 15. Further details will be shared later this month.

I'm not surprised. This pandemic has had such a wait-and-see feel to it. Each day, things are changing (well, getting worse for the foreseeable future, but at some unknown point in time things will be getting better).

"Funny" how at the beginning of the W's offseason, some were thinking that there was an outside chance of the league and union not coming up with a new CBA and the season getting held up that way. And now this happens...

I also just want to say, I'm worried about any/all of you who are particularly susceptible to this pandemic. Please take care of yourselves and stay healthy, each & every one of you.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly the NBA is discussing starting up again in 2 weeks or

starting the playoffs as scheduled with the current standings

so lets wait to see where we are come may

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

They're proposing to re-evaluate the suspension in 30 days. Just re-evaluating that's all .

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

They're proposing to re-evaluate the suspension in 30 days. Just re-evaluating that's all .

Damn!

My job just closed for a month
there's no basketball to watch
there's no new WNBA stuff to talk about
and I am sober
What the hell am I supposed to do for the next months

better myself, clean, roll pennies, what!?!

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Damn!

and I am sober

Read books, binge watch all those shows friends raved about that you never got around to, paint your apartment… watch the paint dry.

PostPosted: 03/13/20 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Damn!

and I am sober

Very Happy

sports I used to watch on tv:

Jai-Alai

Roller Derby

Aussie Rules Football (middle of the night, but it was on!) Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by threadkiller1201 on 03/13/20 5:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/13/20 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
Sports I used to watch on tv:
Aussie Rules Football (middle of the night, but it was on!)

2020 season starts next weekend! ... in some form .... maybe ... but definitely not with fans .... and probably not at all.
Meanwhile, game 2 of our 5 game NBL grand final series tips off here in Perth in 4 hours. They just announced half an hour ago that fans won't be allowed in. It's going to be so weird to watch a basketball game in an arena that is normally full and rocking. Good thing I'm acclimated after so many Dream games on WNBA league pass. Hopefully there will still be an emcee in the building to call out for thunnnnnder stickssssss

PostPosted: 03/13/20 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
Sports I used to watch on tv:
Aussie Rules Football (middle of the night, but it was on!)

2020 season starts next weekend! ... in some form .... maybe ... but definitely not with fans .... and probably not at all.
Meanwhile, game 2 of our 5 game NBL grand final series tips off here in Perth in 4 hours. They just announced half an hour ago that fans won't be allowed in. It's going to be so weird to watch a basketball game in an arena that is normally full and rocking. Good thing I'm acclimated after so many Dream games on WNBA league pass. Hopefully there will still be an emcee in the building to call out for thunnnnnder stickssssss

Or as they say in Atlanta "Thunderrrrrrr sssssstick"

BTW - it is a shame that they cancelled all of the "no fan" games in the US. It would have given the stats guys an opportunity to really find out what the home court advantage is worth.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/13/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Or as they say in Atlanta "Thunderrrrrrr sssssstick"

Well, they did, before they fired Vince Bailey.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 03/13/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Now there is a travel ban from Europe to US for 30 days. Will WNBA players overseas be able to get home?

They are letting Americans come home.

PostPosted: 03/13/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/03/12/madison-square-garden-barclays-center-could-be-closed-for-months/

Quote:
In declaring a state of emergency, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio doesn’t foresee any events coming to Madison Square Garden or Barclays Center any time soon. With the coronavirus epidemic grinding the sports world to a halt, the buildings’ tenants could be left scrambling if and when play is ready to resume.

“(This) could easily be a six-month crisis,” de Blasio said, per Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News. “This is a fluid situation and we will be back with further details when available.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/20 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Damn!

and I am sober

Read books, binge watch all those shows friends raved about that you never got around to, paint your apartment… watch the paint dry.

work on mock drafts and trade ideas for 2021 and 2022, get your taxes done, learn a foreign language. make a quilt. start a windowbox container garden. sort out all your old stuff to donate. work on genealogy and create a CD for everyone in your family with all the info and pictures you find, exercise, learn yoga/meditation/tai chi/whatever you are attracted to, listen to inspirational speakers, play dance music and dance, try out new recipes, walk in the sun (but away from other people), wash your hands repeatedly...

Enjoy! You can have a taste of early retirement!

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/13/20 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched an interview with the head of the Harvard Global Health Institute. He said that the reason for all the closures is because we haven’t been able to test people due to the lack of test kits. Without better information, government officials and health experts are flying blind. Consequently, the only thing you can do is take drastic measures to limit human interaction, such as close workplaces and schools or cancel events. Officials are taking a blunt instrument to the problem because that’s all they have.

The main goal of these precautions is to ensure that our situation doesn’t reach crisis stage where hospitals are overwhelmed. We see that terrible scenario playing out in Italy. Containing spread of the virus to a manageable rate is paramount. The medical community refers to this mitigation effort as “flattening the curve.” Below is a link to the interview, as well as an article from the New York Times explaining the concept of “flattening the curve.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/u-s-federal-response-to-coronavirus-a-fiasco-says-global-health-expert

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

Hopefully, if widespread testing finally arrives and we’re able to flatten the curve, then officials can make more nuanced decisions. Perhaps all these dire predictions about closures lasting six months to a year can be reduced to 3-4 months or even 2-3 months. Right now there’s still a lot of tough talk from politicians about shutting down as long as it takes. However, I think they’ll change their tune once unemployment spikes and tax revenues fall off a cliff. Yes, public health comes first, but economic hardship is no easy thing to endure either. We have to find some middle ground where we can secure the best combined outcome for both situations.

PostPosted: 03/13/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I consider drastic measures as forcing people to remain inside except to get food or medicine ala Italy and Wuhan. One step up would be closing all the airports (great place to catch it as well as the plane) and limiting interstate travel as the virus is not equally distributed around the country.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/14/20 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the first case was reported in Wuhan in mid-November; yesterday they had fewer than five cases. It looks like, then, the virus runs its course in four or five months, which would put us in late summer -- when the Olympics start.

I think this season will at best be a truncated version, maybe a tournament of some sort, played after the Olympics. Or it may just be cancelled, especially if owners do lose money every season.

PostPosted: 03/14/20 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think we can simply compare the US to China. The Chinese government was basically in denial for a long time. They took minimal action until it was clear they had a crisis on their hands, and then they resorted to draconian measures. The US federal government also reacted slowly, but states and local governments have done better. We’ve also seen individual businesses and schools take early action. Consequently, there’s hope we never reach the crisis stage like China did, enabling the US to return to relative normalcy more quickly. We can also hold out hope that warm weather dampens the spread of COVID-19. Higher temperature slows down most viruses but by no means all. We just need to get lucky.

I’m hoping the country gets back to normal relatively quickly, but I'm less optimistic about the WNBA season. There will probably be a delay, and then you run into all the projected arena conflicts with NBA and NHL teams. Scheduling is going to be ugly.

PostPosted: 03/14/20 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree with Root. The US has not been well prepared for testing but we do have at least some degree of proactive measure taking place on more local levels.

However, the nba and nhl look like they could be playing into July. Coupled with the fact that as we get more testing throughout the US, there will still be thousands of documented cases, it’s still going to get worse before it gets better. I believe the US outlook will be very different in 4-6 weeks. Which to me means there’s no shot of the season starting on time. The one thing that might enable rescheduling is if the Olympics are cancelled...a likelihood that I think is enormous given the expected outlook for Europe in the coming months.

I’m feeling sad because the WNBA is my primary entertainment escape but honestly right now I’m focused on simple things such as being prepared and ensuring that my elderly mom is going to be ok. Pragmatically I’ve accepted that there’s probably no chance the season will start on time and a real possibility it won’t happen at all. No point in thinking about it in any other terms right now. More concerned about prepare and have our elderly and ill survive 2020 than I am about New York Liberty 2020. Can’t really even think basketball now especially since it’s very real that it won’t happen.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: