RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
NCAA president Mark Emmert has announced that all championship events, including the Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, will take place with only essential staff and limited family in attendance.

Sure, the one time UConn has to play in a region outside of their own backyard the NCAA decides to ban fans from attending the games.

Just wait until the tournament is altogether cancelled. "The one time UConn wouldn't make the FF"... Laughing

And Sabrinia Ionescu's legacy will be forever tainted for coming back only to not win a National Championship (let alone make it to the 2nd round).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
In the B1G men’s tourney, Nebraska’s coach Hoiberg coached while ill. He’s now in the hospital being evaluated, and his team has been quarantined in the locker room.

IF it turns out that he has COVID 19, the NCAA/Big Ten needs to ban him from coaching next year. Plus a big fine for Nebraska. Banker's Life can send them the cleaning bill.

And I get to call him a selfish prick.

Quote:
Reporter Andy Katz tweeted that Indiana head coach Archie Miller told him Hoiberg said before the game he wasn't feeling well and might not be able to finish the game.

https://www.wthr.com/article/report-nebraskas-hoiberg-taken-hospital-after-falling-ill-during-big-ten-tournament-game

Oh please.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." When you don't know anything, you don't get to call anyone anything. Now read the link I sent.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd feel terrible for teams like Oregon with senior heavy squads.

Can we just do a tournament with the top 16 or 8 seeds? Shoot even the top 4 teams. Test every player on those top 8 or 16 teams before starting the games?

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/12/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

California has cancelled all State Championship games. No surprise.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/12/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
In the B1G men’s tourney, Nebraska’s coach Hoiberg coached while ill. He’s now in the hospital being evaluated, and his team has been quarantined in the locker room.

IF it turns out that he has COVID 19, the NCAA/Big Ten needs to ban him from coaching next year. Plus a big fine for Nebraska. Banker's Life can send them the cleaning bill.

And I get to call him a selfish prick.

Quote:
Reporter Andy Katz tweeted that Indiana head coach Archie Miller told him Hoiberg said before the game he wasn't feeling well and might not be able to finish the game.

https://www.wthr.com/article/report-nebraskas-hoiberg-taken-hospital-after-falling-ill-during-big-ten-tournament-game

Oh please.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." When you don't know anything, you don't get to call anyone anything. Now read the link I sent.

Oh please.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." When you don't know anything, you don't get to call anyone anything. Now read, in the big black letters, IF.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/12/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Patriot League, in its infinite wisdom, cancelled all spring sports, effective Monday 3/16. However, they are allowing individual schools to decide what to do about winter sports...the women's tourney is still underway with games scheduled for later today.

Players on both women's and men's Ivy League teams are petitioning to have their tournaments reinstated, led by the Penn women's team. Their main complaints are that their administrations are hypocrites because the power 5 leagues are playing their tournaments, and that the cancellation is "just not fair!" Ironically, Donovan Mitchell tweeted his support.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/ivy-league-basketball-tournament-cancel-trnd/index.html

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/12/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The Patriot League, in its infinite wisdom, cancelled all spring sports, effective Monday 3/16. However, they are allowing individual schools to decide what to do about winter sports...the women's tourney is still underway with games scheduled for later today.

Players on both women's and men's Ivy League teams are petitioning to have their tournaments reinstated, led by the Penn women's team. Their main complaints are that their administrations are hypocrites because the power 5 leagues are playing their tournaments, and that the cancellation is "just not fair!" Ironically, Donovan Mitchell tweeted his support.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/ivy-league-basketball-tournament-cancel-trnd/index.html

Well, that argument is over now that the power 5 have cancelled tournaments.

NCAA tourney will be cancelled before long. I really don't see them going ahead with it.

I'd say that the Olympics are too far out at this point, but I can see them postponing/cancelling them too. Would they hold them without fans?

NHL has now suspended the season.

What are die-hard sports fans going to do with nothing to watch? Should make for some interesting ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. programming.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/12/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Well, that argument is over now that the power 5 have cancelled tournaments.

NCAA tourney will be cancelled before long. I really don't see them going ahead with it.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

This NCAA season is over. Crying or Very sad

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WBI is cancelled

https://twitter.com/PostseasonWBI/status/1238152160010960896

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tournaments have been cancelled https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/12/ncaa-tournament-canceled-coronavirus/

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is beyond depressing. While I understand the health needs, for the seniors who are finishing their college careers, this is just so sad.

For Sabrina I. in particular, it's a major bummer.

For all the fans (like me!) it is such a drag.

I AM curious how sports channels are going to fill their time. Crying or Very sad

mmaniac

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm bummed. I feel for the seniors. I was looking for a rematch of Baylor and South Carolina and to see what Oregon could do. Now what will I do to stay off the streets and out of trouble Very Happy

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mmaniac wrote:
The tournaments have been cancelled https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/12/ncaa-tournament-canceled-coronavirus/

ALL winter and spring NCAA championships have been cancelled.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/12/20 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I really feel like this is getting blown out of proportion (esp after talking with my wife who is a pediatric nurse at a hospital)

The more likely scenario is we're now experiencing only the tip of
the iceberg.

If anything, the numbers of the infected are under-reported, due to the lack of testing.

True, I think the numbers of people that have been infected are very under-reported, which is throwing the mortality percentage higher than it truly is.

Because, TBH, many people who are infected most likely have such mild symptoms that they think they just have a cold. They gonna test EVERYONE with a cold? REALLY? Rolling Eyes The two viruses are members of the same family, BTW.

We are a country that spends more than the next 7 or so countries on the military to allegedly “keep us safe” or to “protect Americans”. I think the COVID-19 falls under those banners. What would be the downside of testing everyone? That it cost us a figure maybe 1% of our massively bloated defense budget? Or a fraction of a percent of what we spent needlessly occupying several Middle East countries for a few decades? I think we should want to protect Americans from deadly viruses as much as tourist plane hijackers. But it is true it won’t kill more than a single digit percentage of Americans, most of whom are in retirement. So doing even nothing (close to what we have done), after an initial very large older person die off and the economy recovers things could even be better for survivors. Less medical treatment costs for the elderly and less social security payments to them. My problem is that I am in the 60+ group and living in the county that has the 2nd or 3rd most cases in the USA.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praying you stay safe Tfan ! Embarassed

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I said this in the WNBA virus-themed thread but I hope all you will stay healthy, take care of yourselves, and keep yourselves as safe as possible during/from this epidemic - especially those of you who are considered to be particularly susceptible.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/13/20 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could personally care less about SI's legacy.....I am sorry for the hundreds of players who also will not have their "legacy" of playing in the tournament.....many players have been injured this year as seniors and their whole college career ended abruptly....and most players will graduate not knowing what the future will bring, and their names won't be touted.

I should really worry about somebody set up to get a nice Nike contract.....NOT!

elsie

PostPosted: 03/13/20 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why don't they just Oregon play against themselves.....would that make you feel better about "poor" liddle Oregon......

what about the University of Portland, slatted to be last in the league and came on strong and were going to be in the tournament this year? what about all the nobodys getting a shot?.....

tfan

PostPosted: 03/13/20 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Thanks!

Stormeo wrote:

I said this in the WNBA virus-themed thread but I hope all you will stay healthy, take care of yourselves, and keep yourselves as safe as possible during/from this epidemic - especially those of you who are considered to be particularly susceptible.

Yes, “social distancing”, thorough hand washing, avoiding crowds. And I have a feeling there could be periods around the country where people are asked to stay inside their homes for extended periods, so stock up.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/13/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
why don't they just Oregon play against themselves.....would that make you feel better about "poor" liddle Oregon......

what about the University of Portland, slatted to be last in the league and came on strong and were going to be in the tournament this year? what about all the nobodys getting a shot?.....

For what it's worth, I was expressing some feelings and using SI as an example. It was not to dismiss how tough this is for ALL the players who had high hopes and expectations -- or surprise success!! -- this season.

A little empathy, huh folks? To feel bad for someone (or some team) doesn't mean that feeling doesn't extend to all the players. Jeez... Rolling Eyes

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/20 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel sorry for every kid who worked hard all season to get where they are and now feels particularly cheated, whether they understand the reasons or not (and I'm betting a lot of them don't).This whole thing has been poorly managed from the get-go, with a chief executive who is in denial and has gutted government agencies to the point where they can barely function. Now we are in a crisis and the idiot has no idea what to do. (Sorry for injecting politics, folks, but them's the facts.)We're so far behind the 8-ball it's in front of us and about to roll over us and nobody in DC can get off dead center. If it weren't for state public health departments and some enlightened governors, we'd be in a whole lot worse shape. While I personally think a lot of the measures taken are overly extreme, at least someone is doing something, for which we should be thankful.

Meanwhile, perhaps this will be helpful. It was sent to my by my MD sis-in-law.
http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941
Peace. Stay well. And WASH YOUR HANDS!

PostPosted: 03/13/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I feel sorry for every kid who worked hard all season to get where they are and now feels particularly cheated, whether they understand the reasons or not (and I'm betting a lot of them don't).This whole thing has been poorly managed from the get-go, with a chief executive who is in denial and has gutted government agencies to the point where they can barely function. Now we are in a crisis and the idiot has no idea what to do. (Sorry for injecting politics, folks, but them's the facts.)We're so far behind the 8-ball it's in front of us and about to roll over us and nobody in DC can get off dead center. If it weren't for state public health departments and some enlightened governors, we'd be in a whole lot worse shape. While I personally think a lot of the measures taken are overly extreme, at least someone is doing something, for which we should be thankful.

Meanwhile, perhaps this will be helpful. It was sent to my by my MD sis-in-law.
http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941
Peace. Stay well. And WASH YOUR HANDS!

Great read! Thank you for sharing this. How if we could get more folks to take a deep breath and stop panicking.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/13/20 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From twitter, looks like FGCU spent the morning cutting down the nets anyways.

Hope the coaches and admins elsewhere are able to arrange something similar to at least give the girls on these tournament teams some closure.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/13/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Thank you, Stormeo. I am in a high-risk group, and not because of my age. My sister, who is a doctor at Harborview, is in the same boat as me. Fortunately, thanks to a very understanding boss, she's not currently going in to work.

Cancelling March Madness sucks all around, but it is the right call. I'm also sad about the suspension of MLS. The suspension of MLS, as well as MLB and NBA, et al, is the right call.

It sounds like universities and conferences across the country are suspending their spring sports. I saw that Heather Tarr (UW softball coach) is advocating for the eligibility of her seniors to get extended. It is heartbreaking. I feel for Ionescu and for the Portland Pilots wbb.

I think about the hourly employees at my company (a local restaurant) as social distancing takes its toll on our economy. I also think about healthcare workers, none of whom have any immunity to COVID-19.

We need to flatten the curve. The 1918 flu showed that social distancing works. If we don't flatten the curve, our healthcare system will become overwhelmed. Not only will we lack the resources to treat the 20% of the COVID-19 patients who have become seriously ill, we won't have the resources to treat that car crash victim or that heart attack victim, etc.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/14/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cleveland State Women's Basketball Coach Chris Kielsmeier has tested positive:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaab/vikings-bb/cleveland-state-womens-basketball-coach-chris-kielsmeier-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/95-02cf029b-fba7-4bcf-b3f8-7ba590746754

This tweet by the WBCA says it's believed he's the first in the community of Women's Basketball Coaches to announce he/she has tested positive:
https://twitter.com/WBCA1981/status/1239007907221581824

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: