Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/09/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interest in WNBA tickets sees major increase in 2020
Bela Kirpalani (High Post Hoops)

Following a frenzied period of free agency that saw WNBA stars like Skylar Diggins-Smith, Kristi Toliver and Courtney Williams change teams, web traffic for tickets has skyrocketed, according to new data from VividSeats.

The Phoenix Mercury, which acquired Skylar Diggins-Smith in a blockbuster deal last month, has received an 837% increase in interested customers compared to this time last year.

https://highposthoops.com/2020/03/08/interest-in-wnba-tickets-sees-major-increase-in-2020/

hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/12/20 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
I guess you are not that familiar with some of my other posts. My post was pure sarcasm. I think both DT and Bird should not be locks just because of their reputations and as of now really have not shown that they are good enough for the National team. Especially DT, who has really shown her age on the defensive end. I think on defense is where age is first noticed.

Oh, I see. My bad. Took it too literally. I agree age tells on defense. The changes on offense can be mitigated by changing to a less aggressive, spot up shooter type game.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/12/20 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Following a frenzied period of free agency that saw WNBA stars like Skylar Diggins-Smith, Kristi Toliver and Courtney Williams change teams, web traffic for tickets has skyrocketed, according to new data from VividSeats.

The Phoenix Mercury, which acquired Skylar Diggins-Smith in a blockbuster deal last month, has received an 837% increase in interested customers compared to this time last year.

https://highposthoops.com/2020/03/08/interest-in-wnba-tickets-sees-major-increase-in-2020/

837% is a VERY impressive number.
willtalk

PostPosted: 03/12/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

837% is a VERY impressive number.
Let's all hope that this increase will not go to waste and things work out enough that there will be a WNBA season this year.

PostPosted: 03/15/20 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, Im probably a little late and being a little lazy to search through the whole thread. Has anyone brought up the connection between Diggins-Smith and Griner? The college rivalry? They are way beyond that now (or at least you would think). I think it would be more of a running gag than anything serious. Those Notre Dame-Baylor days were kinda intense though. It will be interesting to see them play together.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/15/20 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Okay, Im probably a little late and being a little lazy to search through the whole thread. Has anyone brought up the connection between Diggins-Smith and Griner? The college rivalry? They are way beyond that now (or at least you would think). I think it would be more of a running gag than anything serious. Those Notre Dame-Baylor days were kinda intense though. It will be interesting to see them play together.

And Skylar/Bria...

There has never been a player that tortured Uconn to the extent that Skylar Diggins-Smith did.

So much so that I couldn't even hate her, I just respected her for it. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/17/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

And Skylar/Bria...

There has never been a player that tortured Uconn to the extent that Skylar Diggins-Smith did.

So much so that I couldn't even hate her, I just respected her for it. Laughing

Yes. Vivid memories of Diggins-Smith blocking Bria on two layup attempts in the 2013 final four. I don't think I will ever get the sound of Doris Burke screaming "twice on the pipes" out of my head.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/21/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's why the Mercury's addition of Skylar Diggins-Smith is bigger than basketball

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2020/03/20/wnba-star-skylar-diggins-smith-becomes-face-postpartum-depression/2878949001/
toad455

PostPosted: 04/09/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/mercury-adds-epoupa-blicavs-to-training-camp-roster/

Epoupa could back-up Diggins at PG. Blicavs seems like a longshot, especially if the Mercury can only keep 11.

PG: Diggins/Epoupa
SG: Hartley/Cunningham
SF: Taurasi/Coffey/Blicavs
PF: Breland/ASmith/BTurner
C: Griner/Vaughn
Plus the #10 pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COO Vince Kozar, GM Jim Pittman, Coach Sandy Brondello, and Diana Taurasi held a phone conference tonight for season ticket holders and fans. They provided a lot of insight and commentary, as well as taking some questions in advance.

Here are my notes:

BONNER
Bonner decided she wanted to play somewhere else.
She was an UFA, could have gone anywhere.
Worked with her; got good value in return.

GRINER
Last year was a difficult year for Griner.
But Griner is committed to being in Phoenix for her entire career.

DIGGINS
Why target Skylar Diggins?
Needed another playmaker; needed another scorer; needed another competitor with an incredible drive to win.

Diggins is a huge Taurasi fan, and she wanted to play with Griner.

Diggins is about family. Mercury was the first time to have babysitting at the arena. Franchise has a history of players who were parents.

HARTLEY
Best years of Bria Hartley are still to come. Qualified for Olympics on French National Team. Was an elite player in Turkey, one of the better leagues. She provides another playmaker around Griner.

VAUGHN
Kia Vaughn is a player whom everyone loves. You want to be on the same team with her. Kia checks a lot of boxes – drama free, good teammate, good locker room presence, comes in and does her work every day. Diana says she knows Kia well; they share an agent.

LEILANI
Discussion of fan favorite Leilani Mitchell
She was a great Mercury player. Washington had a lot of money to spend, after Kristi Toliver signed with LA.
Needed to get younger and more athletic. Did not have the money that she would command after we made our free agent moves.

TAURASI
Says she is as healthy as she has been in years. Talked about the importance of her family (Penny and Leo).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks CC
That all sounds fair enough. Pity our recent drafting / development record is so poor.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MERCURY 2020

PG: Diggins/Epoupa/Johnson
SG: Hartley/Walker-Kimbrough/Cunningham/Cooper
SF: Taurasi/Coffey/Blicavs
PF: Breland/ASmith/BTurner
C: Griner/Vaughn

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/20/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top left corner of the Mercury's website appears to have the handicapped icon, where if you click on it, it allows you to "explore your accessibility options". This ranges from navigation adjustment (such as a text-reader function), to color adjustment (such as changing the re-setting the site's background color to your preference), to content adjustment (such as word size), and several other non-specific options. No other team website appears to have this as of yet, so I'm not sure if this is will be a League-wide thing or something the Mercury org. itself curated. Still, it's really cool! Hopefully the other 11 teams will implement these on a similar level. Smile

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/12/20 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury Town Hall (for season ticket holders)

In these uncertain times, it’s important to us that you know you are part of our family and we are in this together. To keep you informed, we will be continuing monthly member events, similar to our past Virtual Town Hall.

Please join us for our Second X-Factor Virtual Town Hall Event on Thursday, May 14th from 6:00pm to 7:00pm!

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa...

Mercury waive Cooper, Epoupa, Stella Johnson, and Biclavs.

Don’t even bother with the suspensions.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Tally24

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry if it’s already been covered in the thread previously, but do the Merc have the cap space to sign a twelfth player?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Sorry if it’s already been covered in the thread previously, but do the Merc have the cap space to sign a twelfth player?

No - https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-post-draft-roster-projections-900 . Not until about halfway through the season in a normal year (not sure how they're going to handle that this 'season').

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

No - https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-post-draft-roster-projections-900 . Not until about halfway through the season in a normal year (not sure how they're going to handle that this 'season').

Still can’t fathom some of those deals. Can’t imagine the market being that competitive for Hartley or Vaughn. I can somewhat see Hartley I guess, but over 100k for Vaughn is still Confused

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/26/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hartley getting paid close to twice the amount she’s actually worth was the sole difference maker between 11 and 12. Not that the Vaughn re-tread signing helped, but it pales in comparison. I still can’t believe they really signed Hartley for that much moolah. Laughing I can see her beginning the season as a starter but then getting benched part of the way through.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/04/20 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Brianna Turner, the former Notre Dame player who is now with the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury, is the proud daughter of two police officers; her mother and father combined have more than 55 years experience in law enforcement. She is also a black woman distraught by the deaths of George Floyd and others at the hands of law enforcement. Brianna brings her perspective to the issue that all of us need to prioritize: that Black Lives Matter, and we all can play a part in helping our fellow citizens feel protected, not threatened by police." -- Mechelle Voepel (via Facebook)

WNBA's Brianna Turner on George Floyd's death -- I don't want my family to be the next hashtag
Brianna Turner, as told to Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
June 3, 2020
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29258196/wnba-brianna-turner-george-floyd-death-want-my-family-next-hashtag?fbclid=IwAR1nqY3qii0xNHexh0CAhw_-Pqt4PobDMicMQm3wS3NH3o1wuFZrWpBYwGY

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/07/20 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ch3y3nna/status/1269115975552495617?s=21

Diana showing up to protest #Goat

PostPosted: 06/08/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Phoenix Mercury app:

Happy PRIDE Month!
It’s a time to celebrate but it’s not easy for everyone. So, if you’re struggling and could use a hug (& autograph) from BG, let us know and we’ll send it to you because you’re perfect just the way you are, and you are loved.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/08/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
From the Phoenix Mercury app:

Happy PRIDE Month!
It’s a time to celebrate but it’s not easy for everyone. So, if you’re struggling and could use a hug (& autograph) from BG, let us know and we’ll send it to you because you’re perfect just the way you are, and you are loved.

That's very cool.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/09/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://twitter.com/ch3y3nna/status/1269115975552495617?s=21

Diana showing up to protest #Goat

Dee's transformation from "the cool girl" at 19 years old, to a social justice advocate is something.

PostPosted: 06/11/20 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"This is my happy place, my peace, it's what I know. It takes me back to my childhood."

Catch up with Brittney Griner and her jeep in this exclusive interview with Bruce Cooper!
(12 News, via the Phoenix Mercury's Facebook page)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2606574539583897

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: