RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I really feel like this is getting blown out of proportion (esp after talking with my wife who is a pediatric nurse at a hospital)

The more likely scenario is we're now experiencing only the tip of
the iceberg.

If anything, the numbers of the infected are under-reported, due to the lack of testing.

True, I think the numbers of people that have been infected are very under-reported, which is throwing the mortality percentage higher than it truly is.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/11/20 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's not just the UCLA basketball team but also the gymnastics team, athletes who have won the national championship who will not get a chance to experience senior day.

As for the LAUSD, this is a decision of Solomon. While it is true that many of the underprivileged kids gain meals through the school district, at the same time, many of them also live in multi generational households and they could put the most vulnerable, i.e. elderly, at the greatest risk.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I really feel like this is getting blown out of proportion (esp after talking with my wife who is a pediatric nurse at a hospital)

The more likely scenario is we're now experiencing only the tip of
the iceberg.

If anything, the numbers of the infected are under-reported, due to the lack of testing.

True, I think the numbers of people that have been infected are very under-reported, which is throwing the mortality percentage higher than it truly is.

Because, TBH, many people who are infected most likely have such mild symptoms that they think they just have a cold. They gonna test EVERYONE with a cold? REALLY? Rolling Eyes The two viruses are members of the same family, BTW.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington state has banned gatherings of greater than 250 in certain hard hit counties including King, Pierce and Snohomish...

This is being done in order to slow the spread and reduce the surge which is crucial to saving lives: (flattening the curve). Here is a good explanation: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

Also more on Washington efforts...

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/coronavirus-daily-news-update-march-11-what-to-know-today-about-covid-19-in-the-seattle-area-washington-state-and-the-nation/

Mariners games will be impacted. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/gov-inslees-ban-on-gatherings-over-250-forces-mariners-to-change-opening-homestand-plans/

In SF Warriors will play in empty arena too: https://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/San-Francisco-bans-large-events-for-two-weeks-due-15123281.php

If action isn’t taken we will become Italy with our hospitals overwhelmed and rationing of care (older patients out of luck).

I won’t be surprised to see NCAA events impacted in some way with regard to crowds...

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Removed..double post, sorry.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
If action isn’t taken we will become Italy with our hospitals overwhelmed and rationing of care (older patients out of luck).

I won’t be surprised to see NCAA events impacted in some way with regard to crowds...

I’m betting that the Regionals, if not cancelled altogether, are played in arenas empty of fans. And perhaps those will all be played at just one or two sites, instead of four.

This thing is spreading too fast for the NCAA to do nothing.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/11/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA president Mark Emmert has announced that all championship events, including the Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, will take place with only essential staff and limited family in attendance.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NCAA president Mark Emmert has announced that all championship events, including the Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, will take place with only essential staff and limited family in attendance.

Sure, the one time UConn has to play in a region outside of their own backyard the NCAA decides to ban fans from attending the games.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

They canceled the New York City half marathon this weekend - that race attracts about 25,000 runners. I'm signed up for two marathons in the next couple months and am getting a tad worried they are going to be canceled.

This one strikes me as an overreaction. They could have run the professionals without the other 24 000+. And watch it on TV just like the various BBall games. Maybe NYC couldn't figure out the hasn't-happened-before logistics of it quick enough. But then do the next one modeled off of the NCAAs without spectators.

Well ... better excessively safe than excessively sorry.

Still would feel bad to have a serious personal goal yanked away.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/20 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Then ESPN can damn well take their games off pay sites!

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sure, the one time UConn has to play in a region outside of their own backyard the NCAA decides to ban fans from attending the games.

This is Antonelli's wet dream- fair and square competition. She must be ecstatic.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA has suspended the season

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Just found it on NYT. Wow, that’s major.

A Jazz player tested positive.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Just found it on NYT. Wow, that’s major.

A Jazz player tested positive.

Two days after he touched every mic and recorder in front of him at a media session also Sad

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanHeckFF/status/1237791921742979072

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m starting to think the whole tournament this year could be canceled. Wouldn’t surprise me now. ☹️

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I’m starting to think the whole tournament this year could be canceled. Wouldn’t surprise me now. ☹️

Yes I'm kind of thinking that will happen now which would be quite unfortunate especially for seniors.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me either now.

Will they let these conference tournaments play out or just stop them altogether? I mean, the Big Ten and ACC men started tonight with fans. They will continue tomorrow without fans.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me either now.

Will they let these conference tournaments play out or just stop them altogether? I mean, the Big Ten and ACC men started tonight with fans. They will continue tomorrow without fans.

Last I heard the Big East was still allowing fans for their men's tournament but that was earlier today before the NBA suspended their season also.

Edited to add - just read a tweet saying to expect an announcement soon that fans won't be allowed into Big East Tournament games starting tomorrow.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA announces no fans for tourney games:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ncaa-tournament-mens-and-womens-games-closed-to-fans-president-mark-emmert-says/ar-BB113M7O

That does away with some of the home court advantage anyway.

But I'm guessing if any player is diagnosed, they will cancel the whole shamoozle.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the B1G men’s tourney, Nebraska’s coach Hoiberg coached while ill. He’s now in the hospital being evaluated, and his team has been quarantined in the locker room.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
In the B1G men’s tourney, Nebraska’s coach Hoiberg coached while ill. He’s now in the hospital being evaluated, and his team has been quarantined in the locker room.

The team has been allowed to go to their hotel.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

IF it turns out that he has COVID 19, the NCAA/Big Ten needs to ban him from coaching next year. Plus a big fine for Nebraska. Banker's Life can send them the cleaning bill.

And I get to call him a selfish prick.

Quote:
Reporter Andy Katz tweeted that Indiana head coach Archie Miller told him Hoiberg said before the game he wasn't feeling well and might not be able to finish the game.

https://www.wthr.com/article/report-nebraskas-hoiberg-taken-hospital-after-falling-ill-during-big-ten-tournament-game

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
taropatch

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

IF it turns out that he has COVID 19, the NCAA/Big Ten needs to ban him from coaching next year. Plus a big fine for Nebraska. Banker's Life can send them the cleaning bill.

And I get to call him a selfish prick.

He was diagnosed with regular cold/flu but still he should've stayed away given the situation. I remember decades ago passing the cold to my fellow workers doing the same thing.

Hope the NCAA doesn't wimp out and cancel the Dance after what the NBA did. Just lost all visitation rights to my parents' care home due to the current crisis. Crying or Very sad

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/12/20 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so I don't get to call him a selfish prick. I'm still going to call him selfish. And stupid. And selfish.

He was apparently checked by medical staff before the game.

Quote:
Before tonight's Nebraska-Indiana men's basketball game in the Big Ten Conference Tournament, Nebraska Head Coach Fred Hoiberg was checked by medical personnel.

It goes on to say that he became ill during the game. BS!! He was sick BEFORE the game. That's why he wanted to elbow bump IU coach Archie Miller instead of shake hands.

Quote:
...Miller was approaching Hoiberg with a smile and an extended hand. Hoiberg, the Nebraska coach, offered Miller an elbow to bump.

I saw the video of him on the bench and the assistant with the sanitizer.

Quote:
On the Nebraska sideline, Fred Hoiberg is standing quietly, watching the game like it’s highway traffic moving past. He’s pale and looks nauseous. At one point he sits down and lowers his head almost to his knees as the Nebraska assistant coach sitting next to him, Armon Gates, is slathering on hand sanitizer.

So then the brainiacs at Nebraska release a statement that he had been evaluated at a hospital and

Quote:
...was diagnosed with influenza A (common cold).

Did they get their MD at Trump University?

From the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/coldflu.htm
Quote:
In general, flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms are more intense.

Also, this forever settles the question as to why JS was granted her release to play at ND.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2020/03/12/big-ten-tournament-fred-hoiberg-illness-hospital-coronavirus-concerns/5029639002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/12/20 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Just wait until the tournament is altogether cancelled. "The one time UConn wouldn't make the FF"... Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: