RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Penny Toler files suit against Sparks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:23 pm    ::: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/former-sparks-gm-penny-toler-files-suit-against-wnba-team/

Quote:
Former Los Angeles Sparks general manager Penny Toler is suing the WNBA team saying she was fired for raising complaints about inappropriate sexual relationships involving the team president and a managing partner, not for using a racial slur.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:58 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/former-sparks-gm-penny-toler-files-suit-against-wnba-team/

Quote:
Former Los Angeles Sparks general manager Penny Toler is suing the WNBA team saying she was fired for raising complaints about inappropriate sexual relationships involving the team president and a managing partner, not for using a racial slur.

WOAHHHHHHHHHH Agler and a player....hmmmmm might we guess whom that may be ??? I have a good idea Shocked Shocked

Along with Toler tried to trade Candace Parker , but Eric H shut it down . LA is a mess and yet Dallas gets all the shade.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:37 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
WOAHHHHHHHHHH Agler and a player....hmmmmm might we guess whom that may be ??? I have a good idea Shocked Shocked

Along with Toler tried to trade Candace Parker , but Eric H shut it down .

Shocked

You’re not just going to drop all that and just leave.. Laughing

Last edited by mavcarter on 03/10/20 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodness gracious, it is ALOT of tea in that article. Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:57 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

NVM

Last edited by Randy on 03/10/20 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
stever

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FC43WU6UWtO5hHjnmt8ZbL4WNY2j8vrG/view

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:08 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

EDIT: [Deleted] is the only one that makes sense.. Shocked

Got here just in time Shocked Laughing Very Happy

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

Now the trade for [Deleted] takes on a whole nother dimension...... Shocked

Sip Sip Sip.....

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:15 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

First off, are you effing joking putting shit like that on this board with no facts. Second if you knew anyone in the W you would know it was a foreign player and unlike you I know who it was but would not put their name on here.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm more intrigued by Simmons having relationships with both the Managing Partner and the ball boy. Kudos to her for practicing neither class nor age discrimination. Wink

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition to the excessive partying with Holoman and Simmons during the season, Parker was allowed to travel to and from games with Holoman and Simmons on a private plane, while her teammates traveled to and
from games in coach on commercial flights.

From the complaint - if true seems like a violation of league rules.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Quote:
In addition to the excessive partying with Holoman and Simmons during the season, Parker was allowed to travel to and from games with Holoman and Simmons on a private plane, while her teammates traveled to and
from games in coach on commercial flights.

From the complaint - if true seems like a violation of league rules.

As usual, the Sparks are not subject to the same rules as everyone else

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

From Page 7:

Quote:
Simmons, whose presence was not required in the locker room, was known to bring alcohol into the locker room (at a time when there was no championship celebration, and no reason to have alcohol in the locker room). In 2019, at a time when she was no longer employed by the Sparks, Simmons was observed entering the Sparks' locker room on multiple occasions while drunk. At times, she was accompanied by Holoman who was also drunk.

Sex, Drugs, and the LA Sparks...

The only reason someone would wanna f*ck someone as old & baggy-faced as Agler is if they wanted to further their career in the league. (If there's anything to say about Derek Fisher & his conduct, a player in the know should speak out sooner rather than later at this point...) I myself would go after a Walt Hopkins-type if I were that kind of player, but I digress lol.
Reminds me of a certain Lana Del Rey song/song title from her Ultraviolence album. Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:00 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

First off, are you effing joking putting shit like that on this board with no facts. Second if you knew anyone in the W you would know it was a foreign player and unlike you I know who it was but would not put their name on here.

You do need to tone it down , this is what the thread topic is about .

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 03/10/20 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:01 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

Along with Toler tried to trade Candace Parker , but Eric H shut it down . LA is a mess and yet Dallas gets all the shade.

OMG, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:03 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

After you made the point in the Minnesota thread it really made me look at this board twice and how people pick and choose which teams cant do any wrong and which ones are just bad for the league. This will put in a wrench in that category slightly. Can't say a team with a lethal shooter can be considered top notch at this time Laughing

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:11 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

Naming names that are wrong is not what this site is about.

Player movement guesses that turn out to be wrong are kinda harmless. But when we're talking about who is allegedly sleeping with Brian Agler .... I dunno .... to me that's not something you want to throw an incorrect name at, because, well,... gross!!

Also, whoah Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Luuuc on 03/10/20 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:28 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

After you made the point in the Minnesota thread it really made me look at this board twice and how people pick and choose which teams cant do any wrong and which ones are just bad for the league. This will put in a wrench in that category slightly. Can't say a team with a lethal shooter can be considered top notch at this time Laughing

I really wish I could understand why so many on this thread, if they had their way, the Dallas Wings would cease to exist...it's so weird too me!

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:13 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

Player movement guesses that turn out to be wrong are kinda harmless. But when we're talking about who is allegedly sleeping with Brian Agler .... I dunno .... to me that's not something you want to throw an incorrect name at, because, well,... gross!!

100%

Playing the guessing game on something like this is just wrong on so many levels. Not to mention it's basically playing "who's the victim".

Agler's alleged behavior is repugnant and unethical, even beyond any violation of league rules. A coach having a sexual relationship with one of their players is akin to me having a relationship with one of my adult students or graduate assistants. It disgusts me beyond words. The amount of authority a coach has over a player and how significantly they can affect their careers for good or ill makes the ability for a player to consent to such a relationship murky at best.

If true, he has no business coaching in the WNBA, just as a professor who sleeps with their students has no business teaching.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Back in the day, this would have been called 'Peyton Place' (nothing to do with Gary Payton for you middle-agers). I guess today it's part of the LA 'reality tv' culture.

Anyway, she makes accusations and y'all seem to think they must be true. Who really knows?

As an aside and totally not relevant to anything here, personally I've always found Toler to be obnoxious and pretty full of herself...which totally comes out in this document. I kinda like it that she and Parker didn't get along.

root_thing wrote:
I'm more intrigued by Simmons having relationships with both the Managing Partner and the ball boy. Kudos to her for practicing neither class nor age discrimination. Wink

g1 Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:23 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Shocked

100%

Playing the guessing game on something like this is just wrong on so many levels. Not to mention it's basically playing "who's the victim".

Agler's alleged behavior is repugnant and unethical, even beyond any violation of league rules. A coach having a sexual relationship with one of their players is akin to me having a relationship with one of my adult students or graduate assistants. It disgusts me beyond words. The amount of authority a coach has over a player and how significantly they can affect their careers for good or ill makes the ability for a player to consent to such a relationship murky at best.

If true, he has no business coaching in the WNBA, just as a professor who sleeps with their students has no business teaching.

He would not be the first to do this and still be a coach in the WNBA right ? Back then it was ok to speculate about that duo or was it more appropriate because it was on the college platform ? I do agree its not fair to say players names without having facts .

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now the question is, or should be, does the new Commissioner open an investigation into the allegations in the complaint. There seem to be plenty of things to investigate.....BTW - what happened to the last investigation concerning the Toler pep talk?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you imagine what the group messages are like between the players today? I bet phones are just blowing uuuuppppppp.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
stever wrote:

Back in the day, this would have been called 'Peyton Place' (nothing to do with Gary Payton for you middle-agers). I guess today it's part of the LA 'reality tv' culture.

Anyway, she makes accusations and y'all seem to think they must be true. Who really knows?

As an aside and totally not relevant to anything here, personally I've always found Toler to be obnoxious and pretty full of herself...which totally comes out in this document. I kinda like it that she and Parker didn't get along.

root_thing wrote:

g1 Laughing

Well as to the material facts about whether or not there were these inappropriate sexual relationships, that would be something very, very odd--not to mention stupid--to lie about in a court filing. There are numerous people involved or who she claims knows about them who could be subpoenaed, and if she were making up the facts she would know these people would undercut her claims and her case would be thrown out in a heartbeat.

The legal question is almost certainly not whether these relationships happened or not, but rather whether her reporting them and confronting the individuals is what led to her being fired.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:44 pm    ::: Re: Penny Toler files suit against Sparks Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

He would not be the first to do this and still be a coach in the WNBA right ? Back then it was ok to speculate about that duo or was it more appropriate because it was on the college platform ? I do agree its not fair to say players names without having facts .

Yes, unfortunately this has happened before without much as far as long term ramifications. But I would hope that even in the last couple years since the #MeToo movement our understanding of the role power dynamics can play on consent and just how problematic these sorts of relationships are, has deepened.

As far as names, yes, I would stick to what is actually being reported and publicly shared. I get the impulse to try and figure it out, it's a pretty human response. It's just that when you step back and think about it, it's kind of gross, and really not what we should be about here.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: