RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Maya Moore Playing Next Year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg5222

PostPosted: 09/11/19 1:14 pm    ::: Is Maya Moore Playing Next Year? Reply Reply with quote

Has she stated she will. If so what is the projection for Minn?

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 09/11/19 1:16 pm    ::: Re: Is Maya Moore Playing Next Year? Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
Has she stated she will. If so what is the projection for Minn?

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

The last thing we heard was the NYT article in which she said she had no clue at all about anything basketball related, and retirement was not off the table but didn't want to speak too soon on that sort of thing.

PostPosted: 09/11/19 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She can deny all she wants but I think the dinero will drive the Amor that is it depends on the new CBA and if she can play stateside year round or not

PostPosted: 09/11/19 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
She can deny all she wants but I think the dinero will drive the Amor that is it depends on the new CBA and if she can play stateside year round or not

You may be right but as a total outsider...

Moore didn't look... Right or herself the last season she played. By right I don't mean she wasn't dedicated or focused but that she didn't seem to get the same joy or fulfillment or something out of the game.

Might have been a temp mental burnout - which would be totally fair.

But won't shock me if honestly she felt a calling elsewhere that finally grew louder than her love of the game.

Question is did the year away tip the scales closer to or further away from bball... She really may not know herself until she HAS to make the decision.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/sports/basketball/maya-moore-jonathan-irons.html

Her effort was successful, so I would think it more likely now that she will return.

Pretty amazing what she did here!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's currently still saying she's going to take this year off. Feinberg had the story after yesterday's announcement: https://apnews.com/88f987d5df39d130b3e6859a23d17535

Getting a result like this might make it more likely that she comes back at some point. On the other hand, maybe she's encouraged by the difference she can make in this area and starts working on other cases instead. I'm still not convinced we'll ever see her on a pro basketball court again.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/sports/basketball/maya-moore-jonathan-irons.html

Her effort was successful, so I would think it more likely now that she will return.

Pretty amazing what she did here!

Not this season, but definitely a possibility for 2021.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 03/10/20 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She's currently still saying she's going to take this year off. Feinberg had the story after yesterday's announcement: https://apnews.com/88f987d5df39d130b3e6859a23d17535

Getting a result like this might make it more likely that she comes back at some point. On the other hand, maybe she's encouraged by the difference she can make in this area and starts working on other cases instead. I'm still not convinced we'll ever see her on a pro basketball court again.

Does she say "mission accomplished" and come back to basketball? Or does she find the rush of winning the case replaces what she found in winning basketball championships and gold medals? My guess now is she moves on from basketball (not a high conviction guess though).

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/10/20 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if she does decide to come back, how will the long layoff affect her game? Has anyone ever returned to basketball after such a long layoff? Would that long layoff combined with a possible loss of some love for the game drop her to a lower level. Would she realistically ever return to her former level of play?

PostPosted: 03/10/20 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:

Moore didn't look... Right or herself the last season she played. By right I don't mean she wasn't dedicated or focused but that she didn't seem to get the same joy or fulfillment or something out of the game.

Might have been a temp mental burnout - which would be totally fair.

The last season she played was the 2018 season. That’s when she played a long protracted season winning EuroLeague and Russian champions with UMMC. She came back to the Lynx with about a week left in preseason, if I remember right, and went right into that compacted season (34 games in 90-92 days) that had most players suffering. You have to be superhuman to endure that kind of schedule. You’ll have to forgive Maya if she seemed a little off.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/10/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Does she say "mission accomplished" and come back to basketball? Or does she find the rush of winning the case replaces what she found in winning basketball championships and gold medals? My guess now is she moves on from basketball (not a high conviction guess though).

Do you think she’s going to turn into Kim Kardashian, except without the hip-hop mogul to help finance her whims? Maya is still young enough to play, and during that video at the UConn event, she said she isn’t retired from basketball. She can always turn into a lawyer/advocate when her playing days are done. Not sure why she couldn’t do both now if she stopped playing overseas.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/10/20 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/10/20 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Even if she does decide to come back, how will the long layoff affect her game? Has anyone ever returned to basketball after such a long layoff? Would that long layoff combined with a possible loss of some love for the game drop her to a lower level. Would she realistically ever return to her former level of play?

Well you remember how I said she was still part of the Jordan brand... Wink

PostPosted: 03/10/20 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Do you think she’s going to turn into Kim Kardashian, except without the hip-hop mogul to help finance her whims?

Finance her whims? According to Doctor Internet, Kim Kardashian's net worth is 1.4 times what Kanye West's is, and I feel like the argument could be made that the disparity was even greater than that, before they got together. If anything, she's been financing his whims.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
TigerVol

PostPosted: 03/10/20 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Do you think she’s going to turn into Kim Kardashian, except without the hip-hop mogul to help finance her whims? Maya is still young enough to play, and during that video at the UConn event, she said she isn’t retired from basketball. She can always turn into a lawyer/advocate when her playing days are done. Not sure why she couldn’t do both now if she stopped playing overseas.

When Maya was playing she was 100% dedicated - to the self admitted exclusion of many other things in her life outside of her faith.

I'm not sure Maya can do anything half way.

It takes a strong drive and passion to play the way she played and to do what she just did.

I think the question will be whether basketball can still ignite the passion to commit and be the best player she can be.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/88f987d5df39d130b3e6859a23d17535?fbclid=IwAR0nxSvzcoZMJQT_jlvzrgEkQKJR6XWavH1yDfRRXJYGhDQK3rECVUknNv0

Quote:
“’My decision to take another year was bigger than this case,” she said. “But obviously this case was in the forefront of my mind. I’m looking forward when this is done to finally getting some rest and time with my family.”

PostPosted: 03/10/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim may have a higher net worth now but Kanye was a massive grammy winner who sold millions and was a superstar before he even met her. They have been together EIGHT years. A lot happened in that time. Kim would have never got Met Gala invites or a Vogue cover without him. IMO, when she married him thats when she stopped being considered just a reality star.

Maya will probably have a slight dropoff whenever she comes back but she will still can perform at a high level.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Kim may have a higher net worth now but Kanye was a massive grammy winner who sold millions and was a superstar before he even met her. They have been together EIGHT years. A lot happened in that time. Kim would have never got Met Gala invites or a Vogue cover without him. IMO, when she married him thats when she stopped being considered just a reality star.

Maya will probably have a slight dropoff whenever she comes back but she will still can perform at a high level.

I see your point , but i cannot agree with this statement.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor M.M. and retire! Very Happy
Your next adventure is to become a social advocate.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone should post whatever they like. But I, for one, don't enjoy reading about Kanye and Kim here or anywhere. I'd rather read about Maya Moore.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A guess would be NO. I think she has so many things that she wants to accomplish in life not just basketball.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

Kanye West had a head start on fame but, by the time that he and Kim Kardashian hooked up in 2012, I'd argue that Kim had already surpassed him in fame. If anything, she likely opened doors for him that he previously did not have access to, by easing/facilitating his entry into what those of us on my side of the street might call "white spaces."

I think that a big reason for the opposite perception is that, bottom line, whether you agree with Kanye's politics, or his antics, or his general behavior... whether you think he's a buffoon, or a jackass (s/o to President Obama), when it comes down to it, people respect the way in which Kanye became famous, even if you don't like/listen to rap music, more than people respect the way in which Kim became famous, so they're going to be predisposed to believe that her fame and wealth are a result of her proximity to him, when I highly doubt that's true. Kim was already a self-sustaining, fame-generating machine, by the time they got together.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I respect the way Kim became famous.
I would happily release some music if I was talented enough to make it, but no way in hell I'm letting Ray J inside me.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what Maya actually did regarding the legal case. After all, she's not a lawyer, paralegal or detective. Even those professionals would only spend limited time on such a matter.

In addition, the guy may not be off the hook. The prosecutors can appeal the release order or choose to retry him, although I have an uninformed suspicion that they won't do the latter.

Finally, given that the WNBA training camps begin in about six weeks, is Maya even close to game weight and condition?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Finally, given that the WNBA training camps begin in about six weeks, is Maya even close to game weight and condition?

Plenty of past examples of that one not stopping players suiting up

I'm inclined to agree with the people guessing that this success might encourage her to do more of the same type of work rather than return to the WNBA.
Would be a shame for her talent to be gone from basketball, but it's so much easier to swallow when this type of work is the reason.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://kare11.com/embeds/video/89-b89caa0a-4985-4e18-a05c-52110dbd3883/iframe" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maya Moore talks about helping a man overturn a conviction, if she will play pro basketball again

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: