RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/06/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="713" height="401" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/28wo1vuL8oY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/28wo1vuL8oY

PostPosted: 03/06/20 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm afraid we're going to reap the rewards of the abysmal state of science education in this country.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/06/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pennsylvania now has a test ... but just 6 per day, ramping up to more "soon".
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/spl/pennsylvania-coronavirus-testing-state-labs-20200303.html

University of Washington went ahead and developed their own test = why can't all university labs do exactly this ?!
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/05/812679331/when-coronavirus-struck-seattle-this-lab-was-ready-to-start-testing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/06/20 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can add Indiana to the list.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/06/20 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘It is being contained!’ Kellyanne Conway gets snippy with reporter who points out coronavirus is still spreading

https://postimg.cc/23h9R77Q/cb5155cc

PostPosted: 03/06/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump and the White House are stupid to keep on making comments and answering questions about these fast moving and ambiguous issues regarding testing, infection rates, death rates, and other demographics. No matter what they say, it will be criticized and politicized.

They should just refer all questions to the CDC, which is the key goverment agency in charge of all of this. The CDC is highly bureaucratic and also politicized, but it, not the White House, should be taking full responsibility, credit or blame as the case may be. This should be a scientific-medical matter, not a politically partisan one.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Trump and the White House are stupid to keep on making comments and answering questions about these fast moving and ambiguous issues regarding testing, infection rates, death rates, and other demographics. No matter what they say, it will be criticized and politicized.

They should just refer all questions to the CDC, which is the key goverment agency in charge of all of this. The CDC is highly bureaucratic and also politicized, but it, not the White House, should be taking full responsibility, credit or blame as the case may be. This should be a scientific-medical matter, not a politically partisan one.

Even people who like Trump generally acknowledge that delegating is not his strength

PostPosted: 03/06/20 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I wish I'd said that so well.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/06/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Even people who like Trump generally acknowledge that delegating is not his strength

I think he delegates ACTION very well. For example, he wiped out ISIS rapidly because he removed from the military all of Obama's presidential reviews, personal drone strike approvals, and excessive rules of engagement, and just let the generals do whatever it took to win.

What he can't seem to do is delegate is TALKING ABOUT, and bragging about (often prematurely), all sorts of things.
tfan

PostPosted: 03/06/20 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Scott Adams, a Trump supporter, is not happy with his response. He said that Trump is good at saying how great things are and also scaring people about how bad something is. This type of thing he says “is not in his wheelhouse”. And he does keep trying to say how good things are and minimize it. I hope in the future the government at all levels quickly quarantines travelers, at least from hot spots. It was possible to have been in Wuhan in January and still fly back with no US government interaction the day after China put Wuhan on lockdown. That was the situation with the first Silicon Valley case. The health department is now recommending that the San Jose hockey and soccer teams not have spectators, so hopefully they will be more conscious of travelers from infected zones in the future.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/06/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

I think he delegates ACTION very well. For example, he wiped out ISIS rapidly because he removed from the military all of Obama's presidential reviews, personal drone strike approvals, and excessive rules of engagement, and just let the generals do whatever it took to win.

That seems like a pretty poor example of delegation to me. He could have grabbed a bunch of guns & ammo and charged into Syria himself, but no, he delegated the job to others. Ooh, what a sensible dude.

PostPosted: 03/06/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

As of Jan 1, 2020, Washington has a new, state-run Paid Family Medical Leave. The state added a payroll tax at the start of 2019 to fund the program, with both the employer and the employee contributing. Naturally, the state underestimated the number of people who would apply for it and the program is currently overwhelmed with applications. It will be interesting to see how many years it takes for the state to pay out PFML benefits to those who already applied and to COVID-19 patients (and to see how much the state raises the PFML tax).

California passed a sick leave requirement five years ago. It has varying plans, but one only requires 3 days, which is what non-chain restaurants must sign up for.

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/06/20 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03/06/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am still amazed at how lax we are with regard to international travelers. I assume it is all related to money. But when the total costs are added up in the future they may be more willing to spend money on things like quarantines and testing in the future.

Why is customs STILL NOT screening passengers from coronavirus hot-spots Italy, Iran and South Korea who arrive at major airports, including JFK, LAX, Atlanta and Chicago's O'Hare?

Italy has now put the worst parts of Northern Italy on lockdown so the issue of visiting and flying back to the USA without being stopped will shortly go away after those that have recently visited and gone elsewhere in Europe prior to the lockdown return home.

Last edited by tfan on 03/07/20 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/06/20 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of US organizations, companies, and schools have cancelled travel, particularly to Italy, so at least that will cut down on potentially infected returning citizens. However, I'm amazed by the number of online comments from people saying they still intend to take their vacations to Italy, Japan, and on cruises in the coming weeks.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/06/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the offhand way news anchors so casually reinforce that of course we won’t take the kinds of measures they’ve taken in other countries. When we kind of are canceling festivals and conferences and closing a college here and there already. And will certainly do when the shit doth hits the fans. The entire mechanism of this country is set up to protect the bottom line and profits instead of, oh, I don’t know, slowing down a pandemic until we can at least get enough testing kits in the hands of health professionals.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/06/20 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Austin cancels SXSW

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/sxsw-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus.html

South by Southwest, the annual tech, film and music conference held in Austin, Texas, has been canceled due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus outbreak.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 3:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The majority of flu-related deaths in the US — between 70 and 85% — occur in people 65 years and older. According to the World Health Organization, about 80% of the deaths from the new coronavirus have occurred among people ages 60 and older.

sambista

PostPosted: 03/07/20 5:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we are clearly in a new mode. where was all the disaster prep? we've seen this coming for years - at least hollywood did. what, did trump eliminate every thinking person of science and medicine, or their ability to prepare?

the way we live changes now. how we greet people. (whether we'll greet people, if we're holed up in our homes.) how we'll work. what kind of gatherings we'll be able to attend without obtrusive checks. (yeah, we thought the TSA was bad.) how our support systems (schools, childcare, hospice care, etc.) will change.

i was in the u.s. a month ago and joked with friends who also want to leave that they had better hurry up and choose a country, because i suspected that very soon borders would be closing. that was a political conclusion, not one based on a global virus. still seems to be coming true, and i still urge folks to revisit their lives and their personal infrastructures. decide where you wanna be in the next five years (at least) because moving about - pretty much exercising many of the freedoms we've blithely enjoyed up to now - will become more difficult.

maybe this is what needs to happen to pull our heads out of our collective ass over politics, religion, profiteering and all the other evils that have fucked up our priorities and brought us to this point.

i keep looking at these numbers of dead and thinking, "these are real people. no one's talking about these people as, well, real people." but i'd bet if the "mainstream media" started focusing on that, perhaps doing a feature or two on individual fatalities so we appreciate the losses and put names and faces to them, they'd be accused of milking the situation with political motives.

i finally received my (largest) grocery delivery (ever) yesterday. store called me, said they were overwhelmed, said about a third of the items i ordered were out of stock and that my delivery would be six hours late. delivery guy said he's never seen anything like this. and this, in the safe, sane and serene (my description), largely sleepy little country of portugal.

i wish all my american rebkellians well - and you "foreign" rebkellians, too, like our beloved luuuc. take care, be vigilant, be proactive ('cause trump and pence aren't coming to save you). and consider that there's nothing wrong with a healthy state of alarm. not now.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We don't have Pence down here but we do have our own creepy religious guy running things. ScoMo is doing everything he can to publicly ignore the virus into oblivion, but behind closed doors I guarantee he is praying his little heart out that the virus will have as little impact on big business as possible.
In the mean time we are all building our private defenses by buying up as much toilet paper as we can fit into our houses. If the prayers don't protect us then the TP certainly will.

<iframe width="670" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zn2HqLOFyFU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/07/20 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
We don't have Pence down here but we do have our own creepy religious guy running things. ScoMo is doing everything he can to publicly ignore the virus into oblivion, but behind closed doors I guarantee he is praying his little heart out that the virus will have as little impact on big business as possible.
In the mean time we are all building our private defenses by buying up as much toilet paper as we can fit into our houses. If the prayers don't protect us then the TP certainly will.

<iframe width="670" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zn2HqLOFyFU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heh-heh.

y'know, even though i was reassured after looking at my little stockpile, i had passing thoughts about how many infected people might have touched each and every item brought into my apartment. wish i'd done my shopping sooner.

PostPosted: 03/07/20 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just in time for your weekend entertainment . . .

but don't risk going to a public theater to see it. download it at home instead. Wink

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hXrW6pJyySk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 03/07/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best and most up-to-date interactive map of the virus I've seen -- from Johns Hopkins:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

To me, the data on this disease are only partially reliable. We probably have decent data on the number of deaths and the number of confirmed cases by testing from most countries. However, the statistic no one can have is the total number of people who have contracted disease, and probably recovered, because they never had serious enough symptoms to be tested or because testing simply wasn't available to them.

I saw one guy interviewed from quarantine in Nebraska who said the symptoms were similar to a bad cold, and that he would have gone to work after taking off the one day he had a fever, had he not been mandatorily tested on a cruise ship. There could be thousands or tens of thousands of mildly infected like him, undetected and spreading the disease to a much wider scope than we think.
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/07/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/04bszP36tuw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04bszP36tuw

PostPosted: 03/07/20 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Best and most up-to-date interactive map of the virus I've seen -- from Johns Hopkins:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

To me, the data on this disease are only partially reliable. We probably have decent data on the number of deaths and the number of confirmed cases by testing from most countries. However, the statistic no one can have is the total number of people who have contracted disease, and probably recovered, because they never had serious enough symptoms to be tested or because testing simply wasn't available to them.

I saw one guy interviewed from quarantine in Nebraska who said the symptoms were similar to a bad cold, and that he would have gone to work after taking off the one day he had a fever, had he not been mandatorily tested on a cruise ship. There could be thousands or tens of thousands of mildly infected like him, undetected and spreading the disease to a much wider scope than we think.

that is an informative map, pleasantly easy to manipulate.

and you're right about the data. what concerns me is the government's lack of preparedness and response after the fact.

we can get some real insights into the people we'll vote for by considering how they'd handle this, and i can't wait for the next debate.

the current administration says stay home (if called for), go to the doctor (if called for) - some seemingly obvious but not necessarily easy things to do for some people. kinda like, "you're on your own, and good luck with that."

i'd like to think that any of the 2020 democratic candidates, past or present, as president, would be tasking lieutenants with coming up with strategies to support people in this vulnerable time, instead of passively waiting for what will be months until a vaccine emerges, while that "stay home" thing will work for just a couple of weeks, if that. like federally declared free virus-related medical care and testing. like some unemployment-type formula to allay people's losses. for starters. a tall order, but nothing should go unexplored. oh, wait. is that too socialist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

Jump to: