RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

“Why I Am Not In The WNBA, Part 1”

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/05/20 2:04 am    ::: “Why I Am Not In The WNBA, Part 1” Reply Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-JROBlxCMvA

PostPosted: 03/05/20 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Golly, one wonders

PostPosted: 03/05/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She never even average double figures along with 2 rebs and 2 assists a game her entire career? Is she insane?

PostPosted: 03/05/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
She never even average double figures along with 2 rebs and 2 assists a game her entire career? Is she insane?

Did you watch the video?

I did and she is only answering a question that people have asked her.
She gave an honest opinion and also discussed that it was her dream to play in Europe and that she had more oppoutunities that would have benefited her. She has played with the Harlem Globetrotters. She made more money doing that than playing in the WNBA.

There are several players who are currently playing in Europe that are way more talented that some of the players who are currently in the WNBA.

What you fail to understand is that it is not about STATs it is about opportunity. There are some that are given an opportunity to even try out and some that are not because someone dropped their name and thought that they would be a good fit for certain teams. Its not how good you are, it is who you know. If you or someone knows the right people, you can get a legitimate shot at trying out for the WNBA.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/05/20 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the top few players on each roster, it's all about fit. You can see it in every pro sport, but maybe one of the best examples is Kendrick Dunn, who's starting at guard for the Miami Heat in the NBA. He was with the Warriors last year but he wasn't going to beat out Steph Curry and Klay Thompson and just couldn't show enough in that situation.

Once he got to Miami, the situation was different ...

PostPosted: 03/05/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Did you watch the video?

She gave an honest opinion and also discussed that it was her dream to play in Europe and that she had more oppoutunities that would have benefited her. She has played with the Harlem Globetrotters. She made more money doing that than playing in the WNBA.

There are several players who are currently playing in Europe that are way more talented that some of the players who are currently in the WNBA.

What you fail to understand is that it is not about STATs it is about opportunity. There are some that are given an opportunity to even try out and some that are not because someone dropped their name and thought that they would be a good fit for certain teams. Its not how good you are, it is who you know. If you or someone knows the right people, you can get a legitimate shot at trying out for the WNBA.

Are you honestly trying to say that a player that averaged less than 3 points per game as a college senior didn’t get a chance at the WNBA because she didn’t know the right people? Literally hundreds, of girls from her same graduating class, who had better careers, didn’t even get looked at. Because this league is the elite and there are only 144 jobs available to players. That’s like saying a D student didn’t get an interview for a CEO position because didn’t have the right connections. Really?!?

This is a question that has one answer: She’s not in the WNBA because she is not a good enough basketball player.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 03/05/20 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Did you watch the video?

I watched half , i stopped after she started speaking of her injuries. You are correct sometimes opportunity does matter , but watching those highlights and hearing the answers she gave does not justify the name of this story.

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of when we all had the, umm, "discourse" about the Gonzalez twins from UNLV.

Maybe this UTEP grad can find her way into being a practice player like the twins were for the Aces? If she knows fellow grad Kayla Thornton, that could be her connection into being one for the Wings.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
This reminds me of when we all had the, umm, "discourse" about the Gonzalez twins from UNLV

They were both much better players than Green

PostPosted: 03/05/20 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

This is playing fast and loose with the definitions of both "way more" and "several," IMO. I feel like there are, maybe, five players in Europe who are "way more" talented than some of the players in the WNBA; I wouldn't classify that as several. Now, I'll stipulate that there are several players in Europe who are good enough to play in the W, who are not, but "good enough to play in the league" is more than a hop, skip and a jump away from "way more talented."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/05/20 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Preach if there are I’d wanna know them please name? Our team down south could definitely use them for sure? Only one that hits my brain and it’s a BIG afterthought is Alba Torrens. Whom else would be on that level in Europe ?
Maybe Alina-Iagupova...

PostPosted: 03/06/20 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I'll bring an age discrimination suit against the W. Why else are they not offering me a tryout? It has to be because of my age...

- Amanda Gorman
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/06/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think I'll bring an age discrimination suit against the W. Why else are they not offering me a tryout? It has to be because of my age...

Wink Laughing
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/06/20 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either way, she took the best opportunity for her. She gave props to the WNBA and its players. She'd been asked, by her count, an average of 10 times a day why she's not playing in the W (maybe less astute basketball fans maybe?). Either way, folks know what looks good to them. Right or wrong, their opinion. And their opinion is that Green should be in the W. Even she disagrees. It is what it is. Some of you say she wouldn't have had a shot anyway and she has made herself a pretty good living without it, so... meh. -\_(•_•)_/-
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/06/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find this entire conversation to be disrespectful to the talent level and dedication of WNBA players.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/06/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her true talents may lie elsewhere. She has 73k youtube subscribers. The WNBA has only about 140k despite having (allegedly) professional production and a dozen teams, 144 players arguably much better than her. This video has 53k viewers. Typical videos on the WNBA channel have less than 1k to maybe 10k. She could probably help the WNBA figure out how to improve their youtube channel.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/28/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3xWvYTMyc

PostPosted: 10/29/20 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

PREACH! Cool

PostPosted: 10/29/20 3:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't watched the complete videos, but all this thread does is makes me think of Sammy. (Let's not go down that rabbit hole.)

I would love to see more collegiate players get into the W, but until there's more room for them, i.e. expansion, the opportunities for some just aren't available at the present time. Others just have problems transferring their skills to a professional level, but that occurs in all sports, women and men alike.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: